July 30, 2011 - Magnetic Hill, Moncton, NB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for the night of the concert yet. I have a hotel booked for the couple of days leading up to it. most hotels seem to all be down the street from each other downtown. None had anything available 7/31. Some even were full 7/30 as well, so I booked one on priceline-refundable-which had that friday still available. It was $164/night plus taxes on top, so maybe $190.

May stay someplace outside of moncton the night of the show, or camp, hasn't been decided yet. still pulling details together, like if people can actually go after working through logistics.

Foound a room at the Norwest Motel Welcome to the Official Norwest Motel Website
3 miles from concert. They have shuttles to the show
180 a night
Had to call to make the reservation
Thay only have 2 rooms left

For those who are coming up early I would suggest a drive out to St.Martins (my hometown) to see our unique twin covered bridges and caves as well as the absolutely stunning drive of the Fundy Trail.

Village of St. Martins
Home | Fundy Trail Parkway

Also you can check out Fundy National Park and from there go and check out the beauty of Cape Enrage, rappelling and a fossil beach. Down the road from that is Hopewell Rocks where you get to walk on the ocean floor around bay sculpted rock formations.
Parks Canada - Fundy National Park
Fundy's Cape Enrage
Welcome to New Brunswick's Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy

I remember passing this motel this summer, it's just outside of Moncton in a place called Chocolate River. Not sure if they're booked up, but they also have cabins and a campground
Gaskins Chocolate River

There is tons to see while you wait for the show, Magnetic Hill itself is a park. There's water slides, a wave pool, mini golf and a great zoo.

haha, not anymore, they're booked.
lucky!!

Wow, that was quick.. she said that there was 2 smoking rooms left. They went quick. I think the best option is to find hotels that dont have online reservations. The link at the music festival site has a few more, thats where I found this one. Hotels

OK GA TIP: I had given up, but then went back and used the price menu, NOT the GA option and bought a GA that way. This was maybe 30 minutes ago?

Good luck,

Tim

not knowing much about driving across the border-what do the locals think of crossing at Calais, following Rt 1 via Sussex, rather than following Rt 95 ?

not knowing much about driving across the border-what do the locals think of crossing at Calais, following Rt 1 via Sussex, rather than following Rt 95 ?

That wouldn't be an issue. I live in Saint John, just about an hour from Moncton, and I cross at Calais all the time. If you cross there you will drive right past Saint John, and can stay the night here if you can't find accomodations in Moncton. It is a straight shot on the highway from SJ to Magnetic Hill and takes an hour so less.

The drive on Route 1 through main is nicer than the 95 and you get to see some of the countryside, and then get nice glimpses of the coast as you come along the Bay of Fundy to Saint John.

For those who are coming up early I would suggest a drive out to St.Martins (my hometown) to see our unique twin covered bridges and caves as well as the absolutely stunning drive of the Fundy Trail.

Village of St. Martins
Home | Fundy Trail Parkway

Also you can check out Fundy National Park and from there go and check out the beauty of Cape Enrage, rappelling and a fossil beach. Down the road from that is Hopewell Rocks where you get to walk on the ocean floor around bay sculpted rock formations.
Parks Canada - Fundy National Park
Fundy's Cape Enrage
Welcome to New Brunswick's Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy

I remember passing this motel this summer, it's just outside of Moncton in a place called Chocolate River. Not sure if they're booked up, but they also have cabins and a campground
Gaskins Chocolate River

There is tons to see while you wait for the show, Magnetic Hill itself is a park. There's water slides, a wave pool, mini golf and a great zoo.

This info needs to be a Sticky on the front page.

Thanks for it.

That wouldn't be an issue. I live in Saint John, just about an hour from Moncton, and I cross at Calais all the time. If you cross there you will drive right past Saint John, and can stay the night here if you can't find accomodations in Moncton. It is a straight shot on the highway from SJ to Magnetic Hill and takes an hour so less.

The drive on Route 1 through main is nicer than the 95 and you get to see some of the countryside, and then get nice glimpses of the coast as you come along the Bay of Fundy to Saint John.

Thank you! :wave:

For those of you looking for hotels . . . try looking in places like Fredericton and Saint John. If you contact the Trius Group here in Fredericton, for example, they always send a number of buses down to the Magnetic Hill concerts. I went two years ago to the AC/DC concert with a bunch of friends and had a great time. It saves the aggravation of trying to find a parking spot (and remembering where you parked) and they keep track of everyone so that you don't have to worry about getting left behind (and leaves everyone who's going the option of partaking at the concert). It was only $30 (Canadian) then (though it may be more now). Besides, the motels and hotels in other cities in New Brunswick shouldn't be charging as much as the Moncton hotels for that weekend. This will save a lot of hassles (and you get to see more of our beautiful province).

For Saint John to Halifax - I'd recommend driving around. The ferry is VERY expensive. It'll be $40 per person plus $100 for the car. You save a few hours of driving, but I've never done it. I enjoy the drive. (I'm from near Saint John)

wow that is a lot for the ferry.

is Halifax worth it??

was going to drive from Boston to Bar Harbor ME.
Then to St John
then Halifax
Moncton area for the show and Hopewell Rocks/tidal bore
then Portland ME on the way back.

Its a lot of driving but we did Boston to Montreal, to Ottawa, to 1000 islands, to Toronto, to Niagara, and then looped back through up state NY in the early fall and managed great. except the night camping in 1000 islands when it was 40 degrees out and the rain was coming through the tent!

with Halifax this is a little longer than that (with the ferry), without Halifax its a lot shorter. also without Halifax I can do Bar Harbor to Moncton in one shot, then St John to Portland on the way back which would shorten the longest leg of the trip (Moncton area/Fundy National Park to Portland).

I've been to Halifax (5.5 hours away) every year for the last 5 years. We love it there - especially down by the boardwalk. Great entertainment and food. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is cool. See the awesome cover band Signal Hill at the Lower Deck on Lower Water Street. They do a few U2 songs some nights, too.

Went across the ferry last year, it saves a bit of time.. but it's just as easy to drive around. Although we did see a dolphin which was pretty cool. For those of you coming through Saint John be sure to check out Reversing Falls. You can choose to simply view the amazing phenomenon, or you can take a jet boat ride through the rapids.
Reversing Falls Jet Boat Ride

Or take a zip line over Reversing Falls
Saint John Adventures > Saint John Adventures Zip Line Tours

Saint John has long been touted as Canada's most Irish city. Would love to see the worlds most Irish band or one of the band mates visit here. Wishful thinking probably, but hey, I've dreamed about them playing Moncton or Halifax for years.. so might as well keep dreaming.

I would also recommend visiting PEI, as it is always lovely there and is just a short jaunt from Moncton.

colin, Saint John to Halifax, do you recommend the ferry or driving around??

I would recommend driving. I have done both and the ferry is quite expensive. The drive is about 4 hours from the centre of SJ to downtown Halifax. Maybe a bit less. If the weather is bad the ferry is the better option as part of the road goes over a mountainous area which gets nailed with terrible storms/visibility etc.

Anybody know how many seats will be available?
I am trying to figure out how far back the $95 seats will be....

wow that is a lot for the ferry.

is Halifax worth it??

was going to drive from Boston to Bar Harbor ME.
Then to St John
then Halifax
Moncton area for the show and Hopewell Rocks/tidal bore
then Portland ME on the way back.

Its a lot of driving but we did Boston to Montreal, to Ottawa, to 1000 islands, to Toronto, to Niagara, and then looped back through up state NY in the early fall and managed great. except the night camping in 1000 islands when it was 40 degrees out and the rain was coming through the tent!

with Halifax this is a little longer than that (with the ferry), without Halifax its a lot shorter. also without Halifax I can do Bar Harbor to Moncton in one shot, then St John to Portland on the way back which would shorten the longest leg of the trip (Moncton area/Fundy National Park to Portland).

Halifax is a great place in the summer. Always lots going on down on the waterfront, great places to eat downtown, etc. I think it is definitely worth a trip. There are some nice places nearby to go sight seeing or hiking. Peggy's Cove is always an awesome time. I live here and am still blow away by Peggy's Cove with each visit.

Anybody know how many seats will be available?
I am trying to figure out how far back the $95 seats will be....

They mentioned 30,000 seats in the grandstands... don't know how many in each section...

It is a fairly long site though; this pic was at the Eagles show a couple of years ago; probably about halfway back on the hill:

62801501196999419.jpg

Tried to book a hotel in the area today and there is nothing. Went on to look at B&Bs and found one 40 minutes away from the venue. That was the closest one! If you're not camping better book now!

According to Ticetmaster, there is a different presale today...anybody have a passcode?

According to Ticetmaster, there is a different presale today...anybody have a passcode?

I read that, too, but there doesn't seem to be an order form open on TM anyway.

I can't remember what Montreal's generic password was. If there is a general Moncton presale, it could be something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom