July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Dublin Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait. I'm going work my butt off from now till then to save up extra money and it will help pass the time too.

I can't wait. I'm going work my butt off from now till then to save up extra money and it will help pass the time too.

I'm working my butt off too. I even just became an Ebayer and have made over $400 in 2 weeks!!

I hear Dublin is expensive, so we all need to buckle down and make some dollar bills. Our currency is crap over there.

and GO CROKE CRANKS----------we are now on our second thread, I project we hit at least 3 by the concert.

I'm busy gathering stuff to sell on Craigs List and eBay too as well as a yard sale planned for late May/early June

Yard sale-----forgot I could do that, lol.

Good to get rid of all material possessions. Feels like Freedom. No plans, No objects, just the Future. (that sound cheesy?)

nope doesn't sound cheesey at all. Matter of fact it's cleansing....lightening the load, getting rid of stuff without really throwing it way. It's a great feeling, made even better from knowing the money we make off-loading the "excess" is U2-related. :D

I hear Dublin is expensive, so we all need to buckle down and make some dollar bills. Our currency is crap over there.
Dublin is expensive...but not more so than big us cities like NYC, Boston, DC, etc.

Keep in mind that the exchange rate is better for us now, and that the dollar is projected to decrease in value a bit against the euro between now and then. Since it won't get any better, I'm going to the bank now to take out at least 1,000 euro so I that I can pay cash for hotel, meals, everything while I'm there. I didn't get a very good exchange rate from AMEX when I bought my tickets for the show.

Dublin is expensive...but not more so than big us cities like NYC, Boston, DC, etc.

Keep in mind that the exchange rate is better for us now, and that the dollar is projected to decrease in value a bit against the euro between now and then. Since it won't get any better, I'm going to the bank now to take out at least 1,000 euro so I that I can pay cash for hotel, meals, everything while I'm there. I didn't get a very good exchange rate from AMEX when I bought my tickets for the show.

You think Euro is going to increase against dollar in the summer? Many credit cards now use a fixed exchange rate because the rate has fluctuated drastically since last summer. Plus, they charge the foreign transaction fee which is typically between 1-3% of the transaction charge. Find out what your credit card charges before you go overseas. I think Capital One has a card that doesn't charge any foreign transaction fee. AMEX I believe charges 2%. Between my cards, that one is the lowest. My BofA Mastercard charges 3%. So did my Citi card, but I got rid of that.

I found Dublin to be quite expensive, more so than NYC yet not as expensive as London. I felt like I was forever visiting the ATM or Bank in London. When I travel internatinally I try to charge whatever I can on a credit card or use my debit card for a better exchange rate. Keep in mind also to take a wee bit of Euro before landing in Dublin so you have something handy and don't need to wait in line at a Bank or Exchange cart there. There are more and more Exchange kiosks popping up around the US. We have several here in SD at the big shopping malls. I hearda psychic say the economy will stabilize in June, so that's a hopeful message things will get better. I don't know how much better the exchange rate might get between the US$ and EUR between now and July, but one can always think positive!

Where can I Exchange here in the US. I have never been to Europe so I don't know how it works.

Where can I Exchange here in the US. I have never been to Europe so I don't know how it works.

Worth getting some Euros sorted before you travel but I assume your bank card will work in any cash machine over here? That was the case when I was in the US in 2005, my UK card worked fine in the US cash machines.

Worth getting some Euros sorted before you travel but I assume your bank card will work in any cash machine over here? That was the case when I was in the US in 2005, my UK card worked fine in the US cash machines.

They work over here for sure, cuz when I was in NY mine worked over there so I hope its a tit-for-tat relationship :D

Anywho, I would still recommend you to take some Euros cash as a) withdrawing money from a $ account will surely cost you a small bit (i mean really small, but still), and b) with the current $ FX rate you never know where you're at :D

Yup, if you have a debit card that says 'Star', 'Plus' or 'Cirrus', chances are they will work overseas. I've never been to Dublin, but I've used my ATM card in Paris, Singapore and Jakarta (Indonesia) without any problem. I expect the same in Dublin.

Even so, I try to have some local currency in my hands before I actually travel there. Laura, you can try your bank to find out if they sell Euros. Chances are they won't buy them back, though, so try not to exchange too much. I'd say between 100-200 Euros in your hand before you get there should be good enough. Then just use your ATM card there. Of course, you probably want to find out how much your bank will charge (if there are any extra fees) for using ATM machine overseas. And it won't hurt to find out how different they treat ATM withdrawals vs teller withdrawal at the bank.

My friend just got back from Egypt, and she told me while she was in Egypt she had to take withdrawal from a teller and she got charged almost $20 for $500 withdrawal because she went through a teller. She said the ATM machine was broken. Had she tried to find another ATM machine instead, she wouldn't have been charged with that $20 fee. I think her bank treated the teller transaction as a cash advance transaction instead of cash withdrawal.

If your bank doesn't have Euros or if their exchange rate is horrible, you can find many currency exchange place in big cities like NYC. Not sure where you can do that in Philly, but they might have some places there as well. Let me see if I can find that out, and I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm exchanging over here long before I cross the sea. I will be doing ONLY CASH over there. I remember being in China and being charged everytime I needed cash, think they took 2.5% every withdrawel.

I'm looking into Traveler's Checks too. As good as cash I hear.

And while over there, I'm going to the grocery store to supply my stomach with needed nutrition. (staying in a hostel w/ oven, stove, fridge, and other cooking supplies) figure grocery shopping will cut my expenditures of going out to eat all the time. and buying my stock of beer at the grocery store, so if I feel like kicking up a buzz, I'll drink 2 beers before I go out to the pub. (is that cheating?)

My friends and I (we´re 8 people from Brazil going to the 3 concerts in Dublin) are gonna rent an apartment and we´re planning on going to the grocery store and cooking while there as well, because it would be expensive to go out to eat all the time for 10 days, plus we´re not sure we´re gonna enjoy irish food that much :lol:

And btw, we got our flight tickets already, from São Paulo to Madrid and then Dublin, we´re leaving on July 20th. :)

MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom