July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Dublin Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over threre and thru Europe they don't drink ice cold drinks like we do in US. It was weird asking for it but nobody made fun, frowned or refused it. Just need to remember to ask for it and not to expect it. Our tour director on our trip told us about this the day we arrived and I was thankful for the info so glad to pass it along!

My other good tip was tucking a big garbage bag into your pocket or bag to take to the show in Dublin....rain is so unpredictable there and if you're there for hours waiting in GA line, etc. and it rains you might be real thankful for that tiny space a big trash bag held in your pocket! It'll keep you dry and you'll probly make some friends with it too!! Easy to rip holes in it or rip 2 sides for a makeshift tarp. :up:

You all need to try traveling to Beijing or El Salvador or even more harsh locations. El Salvador, they did not have clean tap and we where forced to drink bottled water and no place had a ice machine there or even a freezer. In Beijing, they drink HOT HOT water. not coffee, not tea, just hot water. As long as it's a H2O molecule compund, I'm down. We're too spoiled in America!

And No raincoat, if it rains, let it rain....and I'm sure it will.

Oh I couldn't travel to a place like that without getting good and sick. I can't drink just hot water. What's the point in that?!! I'd at least have to have it be tea or coffee or something mixed in with the hot water, not just plain hot water! There are so many items on the market you can buy and take with you to filter water. They have tons of things for backpackers and travelling. I was looking at those and decided to just drink bottled water in Europe but was pleased to drink the tap water as I did. I've had Giardia, and got it somehow in the US right here at home so go figure! I wouldn't wish that on even my own worst enemy, it was horrible. Still, better to be safe than sorry. I am careful what I ingest when I travel.

I love the variations between US and UK English! Here in London it's called tap water. The alternative is bottled water. So ask for a jug or glass of tap water with ice and you'll be fine. If you ask for table water then it's down to how the waiter interprets that as to what you'll get, it could be tap or bottled water I reckon.

I read somewhere a while ago that chilled tap water in the UK is better to drink than bottled water as bottled water has been sitting around in warehouses or shops for months.

"bottled" water anywhere in the world could very well be tap water too.

You should fly with Ryanair they offer you their own brand of bottle water, it's straight from the tap and they charge you a few euro, I can't believe people buy it but then again people have been known to buy bottled Irish air :wink:

I have one, so I'm going to pack it and check the weather and if rain is in the forecast I'm going to bring it to the shows or just bring it anyway. They are really cheap too.

Might wanna just bring it with you. Weather can change there on a dime, seriously. I have a poncho that folds up nicely but don't want to bother with it which is why I sorta like the convenience of shoving a big Hefty bag in my pocket. :shifty:

I'm going to do that. I'm going to buy a new one and not open it until I need it. I'll save it just for Dublin and the shows.

I believe there's a street just west of O'Connell Street where they sell those things. Maybe Irishteen can give a bit more specific details.

Maybe he can, but I will instead!
Moore Street is Dublin's famous fruit, veg (and fish) market, also more recently it's become a multi-cultural hub for some of our foreigners.

Stand at the spire, turn right to go down Henry St, you'll find it on your right hand side.

And you'll find cheap places to eat if you use your heads like eating in small independent coffee shops or cafes that are not on the main streets, or pub food but not in stupid rip-off poseur pubs like Cafe en Seine!

Moore Street is Dublin's famous fruit, veg (and fish) market, also more recently it's become a multi-cultural hub for some of our foreigners.

Stand at the spire, turn right to go down Henry St, you'll find it on your right hand side.

And you'll find cheap places to eat if you use your heads like eating in small independent coffee shops or cafes that are not on the main streets, or pub food but not in stupid rip-off poseur pubs like Cafe en Seine!

wonderful! thank you!

Really nice Chinese restaurant on Moore street too, not sure if it'd still be there but it was good and cheap. But yeah Moore Street is good for Fruit and Veg but I wouldn't personally buy my fish there

NO... well that is just a small part of it. The majority of the fruit and veg selling itself actually goes on in the street itself. You can get great deals, such as 12 bananas for one euro, just make sure they don't try to sneak in one or two rotten ones :wink:

Yeah, I was going to give that advice also! Watch what your paying for!

Meant to mention the Epicurean food mall on Abbey St/Liffey St. Also there are all you can eat buffets popping up all around that area. Enjoy!

NO... well that is just a small part of it. The majority of the fruit and veg selling itself actually goes on in the street itself. You can get great deals, such as 12 bananas for one euro, just make sure they don't try to sneak in one or two rotten ones :wink:

Yeah, I was going to give that advice also! Watch what your paying for!

Meant to mention the Epicurean food mall on Abbey St/Liffey St. Also there are all you can eat buffets popping up all around that area. Enjoy!

Excellent. Thank you again. I love these types of markets.

Coming from Chicago to the Dublin shows with some friends-Can anyone give advice on hotels around Temple Bar? Thanks

No joke on the accomodations bookings! If you haven't booked that or air reservations, good luck! I can't believe how much the fare for my flights has increased, almost double what I paid just a couple weeks ago. I am so glad that I booked when I did!

Coming from Chicago to the Dublin shows with some friends-Can anyone give advice on hotels around Temple Bar? Thanks

to be honest, you are gonna pay very dearly for a hotel room in dublin at this point not to mention availability is going to be limited. Just a warning. I would suggest maybe staying at B&Bs in the dublin area or the outskirts within transportation into town or rent a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom