July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Dublin Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Laura :wave: I agree! I'll probably spend more money on drink than on food! Also -- re: getting Euros beforehand -- I would recommend that you get a small amount of Euros before you leave the states -- but if you're doing cash, I would exchange the rest from US travelers checks when you get to Ireland. In my experience, you can almost always get a better exchange rate there than here.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into it a lot in the next couple of weeks

Some people on our tour ate at Wagamama and raved about it.

Do the Guinness tour and get a free pint!

OMG Irish food! The food when we were there was awesome! The bread, yum! The full Irish breakfasts was soo much food. Boxty, Champ, Coddle, Irish stew, meat pies, scones, more bread, butter, tea :drool::drool: and Amy's right, potatoes every day. We had some wonderful fish and really good chicken also. In Dublin you can get just about any kind of international food, I don't think three's much you can't find to eat there.

I'm curious, anyone been to Croke before..what kind of food and drink can you buy at the stadium?

For that price I would hope so. Until we actually see the stage setup for real it's all just conjecture right now - especially whether or not the 'legs' of the claw assemblage will be an obstruction.

Its making me nervos. I'm in 333 of Croke Park Hogan Stand lower. I will go nuts if the claw obstructs this.

I'm curious, anyone been to Croke before..what kind of food and drink can you buy at the stadium?

From memory, the stadium sells a limited selection of snacks/sweets, drinks, and hot food. Any time I've had a hot dog there, it was revolting - leathery, tasteless and not that warm - so steer clear of them! In terms of alcoholic beverages, I can only remember one kind of lager being onsale there in 2005 (Carlsberg or Budweiser, I think), although I'm sure that Guinness is bound to be available too. My memory could be playing tricks with me though. I just remember that the beer I had on arrival was the best I ever tasted after a long, grim walk to Croke Park in the rain (24/6/05)!

Generally, unless it's going to be beefed up, security is fairly lax so it should certainly be possible to bring in food and drink of your own. If people can bring in video cameras in shoulder bags and bootleg the gig then anything's possible. (I'm speaking here as someone who goes for seats rather than GA so my experiences could certainly differ from those of others.)

Cabbage and corned beef. :D
Some kind of pork/blood sausage for breakfast, I heard? I don't eat pork, so I won't be trying that one.
boxty, irish stew, brown bread for starters. and potatoes, potatoes, and some potatoes to go with your potatoes...

i love how they sneak in potatoes on your entree when it's not even in the entree description.. That just cracked me up the last time I was there and that happened.. :lol:
All I know is Irish stew or the breakfast, Irish sausages with mash and white beans in red sauce(though that could be seen as British too). :hmm:

I'm totally looking forward to the breakfast. :wink:

cabbage? corned beef? stew? full Irish breakfast? :|

I'm glad we don't get any of that crap around here :lol: Seriously traditional Irish food is disgusting and awful. An Irish breakfast is like an American meal, way too much food and most of it is awful. And don't get my started on guinness...*Fails at being Irish*

Some of the stereotypes of what we supposedly eat here in Ireland in this thread are comical! Believe what you want but it is possible to have cereal and fresh fruit breakfast, and to have a meal WITHOUT potatoes!

As for the food in Croker, on match days they sell hotdogs, overpriced pre -packed sandwiches, sweets, chocolate bars and drinks.
For Vertigo 2005 I brought in my own food as I was there for the day (x3!), there's absolutely no problem doing this and you don't have to hide your food on the way in!

Ooh, let's hope this is true. Going GA in a city where I won't have a car is going to be pretty challenging...

I'm with you on that. I need a crash course on getting around Dublin with public transportation :lol:

We're staying one night at Jury's Croke Park Hotel (nice n' convenient) but the rest of the time we're staying on St. Stephens Green, so I have no clue how to get out and about and how far we are from everything. I would prefer to avoid the tourist traps and head to local pubs and the like. We also have family in Dublin that we've never met, so I need to find a way to visit them as well.....lol.

I'm going to check out Dublin websites to see and print out a DART map to help me figure out how to get around

cabbage? corned beef? stew? full Irish breakfast? :|

I'm glad we don't get any of that crap around here :lol: Seriously traditional Irish food is disgusting and awful. An Irish breakfast is like an American meal, way too much food and most of it is awful. And don't get my started on guinness...*Fails at being Irish*

Man, I LOVE that stuff. Now please understand that my grandparents were immigrants from Dublin and Cork so traditional Irish "cuisine" was a major staple of so many meals growing up. Even now, I always look forward to corned beef, ham and cabbage with the boiled potatoes meals that my mom makes everytime we visit :)

Hell, even going out, there is a wonderful more "traditional-like" irish restaurant/pub in Philly called "Plough and The Stars" which I love to frequent for the same type food and a nice "half n half" (never call it a "black and tan" in ireland from what i've been told)....

I think eating in Dublin will be like eating at home for me :)

Just give me a nice Irish Scone with lots of butter and sugar and i'm a happy camper.....

Some of the stereotypes of what we supposedly eat here in Ireland in this thread are comical! Believe what you want but it is possible to have cereal and fresh fruit breakfast, and to have a meal WITHOUT potatoes!

As for the food in Croker, on match days they sell hotdogs, overpriced pre -packed sandwiches, sweets, chocolate bars and drinks.
For Vertigo 2005 I brought in my own food as I was there for the day (x3!), there's absolutely no problem doing this and you don't have to hide your food on the way in!

Btw, our friend from Dublin corrected us when we pronounced "Croke Park" as it is spelled, with Croke rhyming with "Poke". He said it's pronounced "kroat" as in rhyming with "boat". Is that right?

Btw, our friend from Dublin corrected us when we pronounced "Croke Park" as it is spelled, with Croke rhyming with "Poke". He said it's pronounced "kroat" as in rhyming with "boat". Is that right?

You mean like "Croak"? They haven't adapted their neighbor's accent, have they? :D

BTW, I'm close to Philly too. Wilmington to be exact... :wave:

I'm going to check out Dublin websites to see and print out a DART map to help me figure out how to get around

DART is the easiest as the network is well there's only one route, there's also the LUAS which is a tram with just two routes. Buses are harder because they're all over the place and not always reliable

DART is the easiest as the network is well there's only one route, there's also the LUAS which is a tram with just two routes. Buses are harder because they're all over the place and not always reliable

Are you a Dubliner? How do the buses work? I haven't been able to find a good route map/timetable for Dublin buses on the Internet. When you said it's unreliable, does that mean they often change routes, not stop at places, etc? Or is it more like they just arrive later than the scheduled time due to traffic jams?

LUAS looks really cool, but it costs more than DART, and only goes to suburban residential/commercial areas I think. I probably will try that too, just so I can say "I rode the Luas when I was in Dublin". :D

I love railway systems. Whenever I travel I have to try out that city's subway, train, etc. Did this in just about every cities I visited.

Are you a Dubliner? How do the buses work? I haven't been able to find a good route map/timetable for Dublin buses on the Internet. When you said it's unreliable, does that mean they often change routes, not stop at places, etc? Or is it more like they just arrive later than the scheduled time due to traffic jams?

LUAS looks really cool, but it costs more than DART, and only goes to suburban residential/commercial areas I think. I probably will try that too, just so I can say "I rode the Luas when I was in Dublin". :D

I love railway systems. Whenever I travel I have to try out that city's subway, train, etc. Did this in just about every cities I visited.

Home - Dublin Bus

There's the website for the bus carrier, although a lot of routes are soon to be cut and reduced soon as the country is going bankrupt :lol:

And yeah I'm a dubliner

Thanks for the info. If I can find my way around NYC, then I can find my way around Dublin

:lol: You've gotta love stereotypes.

When I was over there, I had amazing meals, except for the awful sandwich and nasty doughnut I bought from a convenience shop in Dublin, where my friend and I had to eat because all the restaurants were closed mid-afternoon.

Anyway, I do not think the food I ate was exclusive to Ireland. It just happened that there were some damn good chefs making some tasty seafood, which I had a lot of oh and I had Chinese food too while I was over there. I would say the only real Irish thing I had were: Barry's tea, some soda bread, and of course Guinness. My breakfasts were: fruit, yogurt and hot tea, which is what I eat daily here in good old Atlanta, Georgia. I had trouble calling potato chips "crisps." I sound stupid saying crisps. I also had to learn that the elevator was the lift. :wink:

Oh and I was on holiday not vacation. That was another thing that threw me for a loop. Fresh off the plane, talking to the customs agent at the airport. After looking at my passport he asked if I was here on holiday. I looked at him and said "um, not that I am aware of, I am here on vacation." he laughed, I felt stupid. :reject:

That is what I'm going to get stuck on is the different names of things. People from Ireland are going to look at me funny when I talk and use different word

Oh and I was on holiday not vacation. That was another thing that threw me for a loop. Fresh off the plane, talking to the customs agent at the airport. After looking at my passport he asked if I was here on holiday. I looked at him and said "um, not that I am aware of, I am here on vacation." he laughed, I felt stupid. :reject:

I love Irish customs and immigration, I once got into the country because I looked Irish, who needs a passport? :wink:

You mean like "Croak"? They haven't adapted their neighbor's accent, have they? :D

BTW, I'm close to Philly too. Wilmington to be exact... :wave:

:wave: my in-laws are in Glen Mills, right down the street

Heh, that could very well be quite possible ;)

But yeah, he said that you pronouce it like "boat" with a "c"....like "croat" ;)

What the hell do I know.......i'm from Philly, we're known to pronounce everything "differently" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom