July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Discussion Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for starting another thread Laura. Can you believe how many we've gone through already? I'm getting so excited. I was laying in bed last night trying to fiure out what to wear on the plane over. :hyper:

I think I'm going to start with a Vertigo T-shirt and jean shorts and then I'll either put my long jeans on on the plane or at the Dublin airport. I'll put them in my carry-on bag along with a hoodie.

I'm thinking of going with capri pants and my rubber clogs (comfy and don't have to worry about taking shoes on and off) and I'll pack a pair of my high top converse in my suitcase (dunno about the black or red ones, hmmmm decisions decisions!) I've got a 4am cab coming and it'll be a bit chilly at that time of morning. Otherwise I'll be in an airport or airplane till arriving in Dublin. Once there I'll be happy with an umbrella and some kind of hoodie handy in my carry on. I think that will work, just need to decide on what shirt to wear now!

I also rolled loose coins today!! :hyper: $61 more for spending money!! :yippie: I took apart a 25th anniversary bouquet my grandma made out of dollar bills & dollar coins for my folks 25th so I have the $25 from that too! So I have a couple hundred dollars already!!

Don't forget---anyone who plans to be using your mobile phone, debit or credit cards when in Ireland to call your bank, credit card company and/or cell service provider to let them know you will be travelling out of the country so they don't freeze funds or accounts leaving you stranded and freaking out. I learned that the hard way!! :sexywink:

I'm only going to use my Capital One card in Ireland, so I'm going to call them next week to let them no when and where I'll be going.

Anyone have any ideas on WHERE to meet?

I do have one idea on identifying one another. Everyone buy a solid white bandana. Wrap around your arm, head or just wave it around. U2 surrender theme. A white flag for each of us.

I'm open for suggestions on where to meet up and when. I have never been to Dublin, so I don't have a clue to where a good place will be

Hey people! :wave:
Are many of you going alone?
Im going all by my self and don't have any plans on meeting anyone :|
but I would like to meet up with people... :)

I'm going to all 3 shows.. and will stay faaaaar from everything... a hotel by the airport.
Only been to Dublin once before..

We're trying to plan an Interference gathering, but we're not sure where yet

One of the mates I'm going with is on a very strict budget at the moment, he refused to pay the extra Ryanair fees to take a suitcase so is going to wear multiple layers of clothing on the plane and then go to a charity shop to buy some more! He claims its what Bono would want anyway :lol:

Hey people! :wave:
Are many of you going alone?
Im going all by my self and don't have any plans on meeting anyone :|
but I would like to meet up with people... :)

I'm going to all 3 shows.. and will stay faaaaar from everything... a hotel by the airport.
Only been to Dublin once before..

I will traveling alone to Dublin but will be meeting up with a friend when I get there. I will not be sitting with anyone that I will know at the shows. Which should be a fun if not interesting experience. This will be my second trip over there. Keep following this thread for meetups. I am sure people will post in here while we are in Dublin.

Any suggestions for a nice place for dinner (without being too expensive) near O"Connell Street or Temple Bar Irsih food preferred!
any suggestions would be welcome-
thanks

I

Don't forget---anyone who plans to be using your mobile phone, debit or credit cards when in Ireland to call your bank, credit card company and/or cell service provider to let them know you will be travelling out of the country so they don't freeze funds or accounts leaving you stranded and freaking out. I learned that the hard way!! :sexywink:

Good idea Carek! My husband recently went to Paris for business -- credit card company had to verify w me that he was out of the country.

Ok. We past the 30 day mark for the first show. Let's start to plan this gathering.

Good idea Carek! My husband recently went to Paris for business -- credit card company had to verify w me that he was out of the country.

Thanks. We're all here to share and I'm a resourceful person. I probably overprepare for trips like this but I've been to Ireland and traveled internationally, so I'm happy to share what tips I can.

Another tip is to make a COLOR copy of your passport....or a couple copies and keep them in various places in your belongings in case you lose your passport. A color photo makes it easier and quicker to get a replacement. Another idea is to make a copy on a cd, memory stick or have one on your laptop if you travel with that. :up:

Any prescription medications you travel with you should also take in their original Rx containers. The labels on the containers include information about the medication, your Dr name, pharmacy info etc in case customs has any questions. As for over the counter meds, travel with them int heir original packaging so there is no question should you be stopped in customs.

AND....don't forget to contact your airline or airport for the latest on what you can travel with and how to travel with liquids. I bought a package of TSA-approved zip loc bags to put my liquid/gel items in. Or you could just buy what toiletries you need once you arrive.

I got all travel size stuff and I'm not bringing any of that on the plane except maybe a bottle of excedrin.

I'm going to check with US Airways the day before I leave to make sure I don't have pay a checked bag fee. I read that I didn't, but I want to make sure.

Does anyone know how the exchange rate is doing or the euro is doing?

That is not bad. I'm only going to bring about $900.00 USD. It is like $600.00 something in Euro and 1 credit card. I figure 3 of the days I have the concerts and they are GA tix, so all I'm really going to be spending money on is food on those days, plus I get free breakfast at the hotel. I think that will be plenty.

Been lurking these boards for a while now. Philly-Shannon 7/18, Dublin 7/23 to 7/26 for Dub 1, back for Dub 3 then back home to Philly.
Exchange rate moves by a penny or so every day. Right now 1 euro is worth 71 cents and the range in the last month has been between 70 cents and 73 cents. Doesn't seem like much but you also don't really get that rate, the rate you get will be less. Use your credit cards or Debit Cards when there you'll get and dont buy Euros is US airports, their exchange rates stink.
Getting a little more excited every day.

^Great tips! Thanks. I usually try to use a credit or debit card whenever or wherever possible when travelling internationally. You can usually get a better exchange rate, don't have to mess around with carrying foreign currencies with you or worrying about it or running low and having to search for ATM or Currency Exchange places.

I have to look up some places to go and eat at.

Any suggestions for a nice place for dinner (without being too expensive) near O"Connell Street or Temple Bar Irsih food preferred!
any suggestions would be welcome-
thanks

I wouldn't go eating near O'Connell St or even in Temple Bar, restaurants aren't that great in either of those areas. Don't bother going to any restaurants too close to the river, especially in Dublin 1. Also, to be honest, I woudn't bother with Irish food.

Dublin 2, just south of the river, has the best restaurants.

Here are my dining suggestions:

Town Bar & Grill Restaurant - 21 Kildare Street, Dublin - reservations@townbarandgrill.com

Restaurant Dublin, Restaurants in Dublin – The Merrion Luxury Hotel Dublin City Ireland

DAX RESTAURANT - 23 PEMBROKE STREET UPPER, DUBLIN 2

Welcome to The Trocadero Restaurant... in the Theatre Heart of Dublin.

Restaurant Les Freres Jacques Dublin 02

A cosy little hideway:

Dobbins Wine Bistro, Dublin 2 Restaurant, eat in Dublin 2 Ireland

Most of the above are French type of places. Some are slightly expensive, but most are reasonably good value (by Dublin standards, which is not cheap).

For Indian:

:: Welcome to : Saagar Indian Restaurants ::

Maloti Indin Cuisine

For 'pub grub', I recommend this place, they also have a steakhouse-type restaraunt, it's slightly off the beaten track, but on the Luas line:

FXB Steak&Seafood Restaurants - Modern International Cuisine in Dublin

Also, for pub grub, plus they have a restaurant:

Welcome to The Schoolhouse

Gang, in general my advice for eating out is to make the effort to move a bit away from Dublin 1/Croke Park and more in the southside direction, and hopefully you will not be disappointed.

For drinking, again, steer well clear of Dublin 1 - best bet is places like Dawson St/Baggot St area.

There may be a private party on somewhere that may or may not be associated with U2. Can't promise anything, if I get more information, I well let those interested know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom