July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Discussion Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eating out in Dublin

Might be worth making this a separate thread.

I wouldn't go eating near O'Connell St or even in Temple Bar, restaurants aren't that great in either of those areas. Don't bother going to any restaurants too close to the river, especially in Dublin 1. Also, to be honest, I woudn't bother with Irish food.

Dublin 2, just south of the river, has the best restaurants.

Here are my dining suggestions:

Town Bar & Grill Restaurant - 21 Kildare Street, Dublin - reservations@townbarandgrill.com

Restaurant Dublin, Restaurants in Dublin – The Merrion Luxury Hotel Dublin City Ireland

DAX RESTAURANT - 23 PEMBROKE STREET UPPER, DUBLIN 2

Welcome to The Trocadero Restaurant... in the Theatre Heart of Dublin.

Restaurant Les Freres Jacques Dublin 02

A cosy little hideway:

Dobbins Wine Bistro, Dublin 2 Restaurant, eat in Dublin 2 Ireland

Most of the above are French type of places with good variety in the menus. Some are slightly expensive, but most are reasonably good value (by Dublin standards, which is not cheap). If you are on a tight budget, best advice is to check prices by looking at the websites or email them if prices aren't given on the websites.

For Indian:

:: Welcome to : Saagar Indian Restaurants ::

Maloti Indin Cuisine

For 'pub grub', I recommend this place, they also have a steakhouse-type restaraunt, it's slightly off the beaten track, but on the Luas line:

FXB Steak&Seafood Restaurants - Modern International Cuisine in Dublin

Also, for decent pub grub, plus again they have a restaurant:

Welcome to The Schoolhouse

I have dined in all of these places, though in some cases more recently, in other cases less so. Thus I cannot necessarily recommend each and every single one, but when I have dined at any of them, I have not been disappointed.

In general my advice for eating out is to make the effort to move a bit away from Dublin 1/Croke Park and more in the southside direction, and hopefully you will not be disappointed.

For drinking, again, steer well clear of Dublin 1 (except for a few drinks pre or post concert, when the pubs can be good crack) - best bet is places like Dawson St/Baggot St area.

For drinking, again, steer well clear of Dublin 1 (except for a few drinks pre or post concert, when the pubs can be good crack) - best bet is places like Dawson St/Baggot St area.

For drinking, I really liked Whelan's on Wexford, I highly recommend it. But...I didn't eat there. I don't recall eating much in the city. I went out for the boys and booze. So, if you're lookin' for hot dudes and cold drinks, Whelan's is the place to be. :wink:

For sightseeing:

The Old Jameson distillery might be worth a visit, also the crypts in St Michan's nearby.

I have heard the Viking Splash Tour and Liffey Cruise Sight-Seeing Cruises on Dublin's River Liffey Boat Trips Visitor Attraction are also pretty good.

The area near to the planned U2 tower/U2 studio might be worth a stroll around. Cross the East Link bridge over to the Point theatre and see the vista U2 saw when they photographed for the October album cover - all now changed, changed utterly.

Glendalough might be worth a visit - I think there are coach tours. I think there is also a coastal coach tour that does the south side coast.

I saw someone mention going to see Bono's childhood house - it is really just a normal house in a suburban housing estate around 5 miles north of the city centre near to some rather dodgy areas. If you really must go, do not wander the streets around there late at night or wander around unaccompanied.

Bono's current abode is in a lovely area, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a Dart or Bus to Dalkey and go wandering. Lovely little village.

There is a lot of petty crime in some parts of Dublin city centre, and some scumbags pick on tourists as easy targets. By and large, avoid the quays areas late at night, especially the northside quays. Don't bother with Temple Bar late at night, full of drunks. Not scaremongering, just being realistic.

For drinking, I really liked Whelan's on Wexford, I highly recommend it. But...I didn't eat there. I don't recall eating much in the city. I went out for the boys and booze. So, if you're lookin' for hot dudes and cold drinks, Whelan's is the place to be. :wink:

Yeah, I like Whelans also, I always liked the vibe there. A good bar to mingle with rock and roll types, or people that want to be rock and roll types. :wink:

^Thanks, good info especially about personal safety. Glendalough is lovely if you have the better part of a day it's worth it. You can get some beautiful photos there.

We had a fabulous meal at an Italian restaurant (Il Fornaio I think or something like that) located at the Hotel Isaacs. I remember it was near a lot of construction going on near a DART or rail and bus station. I don't remember the name of the street.

People who go to Ireland with credit cards keep in mind you don't sign for purchases but have to use a four digit code like with a debit card.

I don't have one either. Maybe when I call the credit card company before I go they'll give me one.

If your credit cards are older and don't have chips then you should be fine, if you're not sure if you have it or not, you should ask your credit card company to make sure. If your card has a chip in it you'll be required to use it.

Well I got my Capital One card just recently with the no exchange fees... So you don't sign for anything. Interesting... Will have to call the card...

I'll probably be heading down to Wicklow/Glendalough on the 26th (our day off). Will probably be driving...

Also, for any info ever on any travel tripadvisor.com is a great resource (combine that with kayak.com and you should be all set for any travels).

Hey people! :wave:
Are many of you going alone?
Im going all by my self and don't have any plans on meeting anyone :|
but I would like to meet up with people... :)

I'm going to all 3 shows.. and will stay faaaaar from everything... a hotel by the airport.
Only been to Dublin once before..

I'm going alone as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one. So I definately want to meet. But I'll be staying in hostel, with 5 other people so I hope I'll have some fellow fans in my dorm.

Well I got my Capital One card just recently with the no exchange fees... So you don't sign for anything. Interesting... Will have to call the card...

I'll probably be heading down to Wicklow/Glendalough on the 26th (our day off). Will probably be driving...

Also, for any info ever on any travel tripadvisor.com is a great resource (combine that with kayak.com and you should be all set for any travels).

I got a Captital One Card in February, so I hope it doesn't have exchange fees. I have to call them before I go, so I will ask to be sure.

I will traveling alone to Dublin but will be meeting up with a friend when I get there. I will not be sitting with anyone that I will know at the shows. Which should be a fun if not interesting experience. This will be my second trip over there. Keep following this thread for meetups. I am sure people will post in here while we are in Dublin.

I hoping to meet some friendly people while queuing..
Actually I've done something similar before in Edinburgh, went there for a show and took a taxi back to the airport and waited for my plain early in the morning :p
But now I will be in Dublin alone from Friday to Tuesday.. :|

I'm going alone as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one. So I definately want to meet. But I'll be staying in hostel, with 5 other people so I hope I'll have some fellow fans in my dorm.

Hello there :wave:
Good to know!
You will definitely find some fellow fans there :)
If not I will be there :lol:

What is Norman Hewson's resturant? Is it NUDE or EDUN? anyone been there? do you need reservations, or can u just drop in for a drink and lunch?

I will be there alone too. I am meeting some friends from canada, n. ireland, and england though. Hopefully I can meet some really cool people. I am looking forward to it! I am at Trinity College.

Everyone is coming in on the 23rd. The airport of going to be full of U2 fans that day

According to todays Irish Independant the Claw is going to be located towards the canal end side of the stadium rather than the hill16 end...
It's quite possibly a typo as the reporter does not seem very well briefed, but if true surely a lot of very pissed off people who bought tickets based on the previous layout?
I personally think it makes perfect sense. I've always worried about the claw having an empty terrace behind it when clearly the show is designed to have a stadium full of people as the "backdrop".

According to todays Irish Independant the Claw is going to be located towards the canal end side of the stadium rather than the hill16 end...
It's quite possibly a typo as the reporter does not seem very well briefed, but if true surely a lot of very pissed off people who bought tickets based on the previous layout?
I personally think it makes perfect sense. I've always worried about the claw having an empty terrace behind it when clearly the show is designed to have a stadium full of people as the "backdrop".

No chance in hell. All the cheap seats are at the Canal end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom