July 23, 2011 TCF Stadium Minneapolis III: Stuck In A Heat Wave You Can't Get Out Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I've been reading this thread and you guys are touring pros! :ohmy:

So we'll be there For the whole GA (never done GA before) thing Sat PM in MPLS (EXCITED!!) and I must say I'm a little nervous. I don't think I can line up any earlier than 1 PM and it seems like if I don't get there by 6 AM it's not even worth it then. I want to see their faces even if it makes me "gamey". Should be quite the experience...

You should still get a damned good spot if you show up at 1. You might not get right on the rail, but you should be able to get probably second row up front, or second row of the outer rail. :)

I have arrived at the GA line at 4 pm in Toronto and Montreal and still got a great spot in the pit, so no worries! As the date gets closer and the weather still seems so nasty, it is looking more like I am going to be doing this again. The pit is really big, and many people forgo the pit to get the outside rail.

The difference between rail and one to two people from it stretches over *hours* and hours of the line. Add a couple more people from the rail (so you're 4ish from it) and you're into people lining up at 3-4pm.

^makes sense. The circumference of the catwalk is HUUUGE, and when the do a walk, they'll obviously cover the whole catwalk, so everyone (at every spot of outer rail) will get their chance to see them upclose!

Hey guys, your imput/votes on this joke sign I plan to make please! It's gonna say,

"Stuart, write ______ on Adam's setlist" **note: I don't actually expect them to play the song. Just a jokey way to show my love for Adam's bassline

and here are my options for the _____:
-New Year's Day (the cliche "memorable U2 bass" song. slight chance they might actually plan to spring this if they wanted a shake-up)
-A Man and A Woman (might be too long a title for my sign. I also don't want to be misunderstood as being pompous enough to think I am Adam's Eve or something. Just a great, driving bassline)
-Lemon (well, Adam likes this song too)
-Stay (full band) [assuming the usual acoustic Stay. Might get a chuckle out of them]
-Cedars of Lebanon (a great way to show them that we appreciate the unknown gems of NLOTH too)

Vote and suggest, please!

Hey guys, your imput/votes on this joke sign I plan to make please! It's gonna say,

"Stuart, write ______ on Adam's setlist" **note: I don't actually expect them to play the song. Just a jokey way to show my love for Adam's bassline

and here are my options for the _____:
-New Year's Day (the cliche "memorable U2 bass" song. slight chance they might actually plan to spring this if they wanted a shake-up)
-A Man and A Woman (might be too long a title for my sign. I also don't want to be misunderstood as being pompous enough to think I am Adam's Eve or something. Just a great, driving bassline)
-Lemon (well, Adam likes this song too)
-Stay (full band) [assuming the usual acoustic Stay. Might get a chuckle out of them]
-Cedars of Lebanon (a great way to show them that we appreciate the unknown gems of NLOTH too)

Vote and suggest, please!
um, my choice would have been "my number" for that _____ spot. :D But from your list, I would definitely choose Lemon. :yes: It has fewer letters too, so you can make it extra BIG.

and Rich, I just saw the picture of your sister on stage with Bono. Wow... what a great moment!!

Just carrying over the attendance list from the previous thread

Leaning Tower 6pm onward Friday July 22 get-together list:
(copy and add yourself)

kramwest1 (Mark and Heather)
ryancoke71(Amy and Sean)
Zoney! (zonelistener) and Schmeg (Jeff and Megan)
corianderstem (Alicia) (maybe with 2 or 3 more, but maybe not)
KristenCaNaDiAn (Kristen)
kellyahern (Kelly)
ARW (Amanda)
Bono_212 (Ashley) and LemonMelon (Travis) tentatively
secretly alone (Val) + 1
bonocomet (Cathleen)
Bono Mot (Susi) and jayesbaby (Debbie)
vjacqb (Alma) and cjreeds (Connie)
GopherMacPhisto (Paul)
rosephile (Sara) probably +1-2
Edgefest + entourage of 6
I Move in Mysterious Ways (Rich) + 1
heartisabloom (Sarah) + 1

Just remember, A-M, that TCF stadium is pretending like they're not allowing signs. It's a ~risk~! ;D

Depends on who's working the gate. I've been to basketball games at Williams Arena where the U of M staff has visibly berated someone for bringing in a piece of tagboard the size of a legal pad. However, during football games, when CSE is responsible for the seating bowl and in-house staff are kept at elevators and in the clubhouse area, I've seen a lot of signs get brought in and displayed without incident. I think the biggest issue is not to display them during gameplay.

Now, on to the pictures. Below is the loading dock entrance to the field.

img20110719194759.jpg

I'd forgotten just how blasted BIG the claw is!

img20110719193928.jpg

And now the most important picture of them all, the GA area.

img20110719194734.jpg

The silver overhang is the entrnace to Gate C, on the due east end of the stadium. The GA gate is immediately to the right of it. Normally, this entrance goes up a ramp to the concourse, but they have the doors open down to the holding area. I presume this area will be full of port-a-johns, concessions, and merch.

The little red splotch further to the right is a concessionaire wagon.

Will be by there again Thursday, if I'm not back to work tomorrow. I work for the state and it could be a while before I restart.

Kirsten, the crew was knocking off for the day as I was taking my pictures last night. They were awash in sweat.

The area is on the northeast side of the stadium. It will be very sunny in the morning, but you should have some shade between about 1 and the time they start admitting people to the floor. After that, though, it's going to be HOT out on the grating and no shade until after Interpol takes the stage.

So obviously, the show goes on if it rains. What happens with storms? I can only imagine that spire is a big-ass lightning rod, no?

I would assume that this sort of thing went into their planning. I know the stadium said they had emergency procedures, but if there are storms, what happens with the show?

For the record, I am not particularly concerned. I'm honestly curious. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom