Do you think Glastonbury could be an option?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyuk

Refugee
If rumours are correct that U2 will start their world tour at the end of June do you think U2 could possibly do Glastonbury this year which is the 3rd weekend in June if i am correct. Could be great timing and great publicity for the band

I'd love to see it, but it won't happen. Eavis has given up on them.

yeah, i feel i should apologise for just LAUGHING at the suggestion like a snob but it really isn't that likely. Much as I'd love to see Springsteen AND U2 in a single weekend it's about as likely as The Edge growing his hair back and dressing up as Lovetown Edge for the upcoming tour. Like Mikey's said Eavis has given up, they messed him about apparantley.

Glastonbury is June 26, 27 & 28.

Those dates relate to last year's not this year's as it always starts on a Friday and finishes on Sunday so andyuk is right. its on 19th, 20th and 21st. Even if U2 does agree to play Glasto (which is highly unlikely imo), it will not be on 20th as thats taken up by The Boss, Bruce Springsteen so that leaves either 19th or 21st.

So in theory it can happen if rumours are right that U2's world tour starts in Barcelona on 29th June.

Who knows?

In one of the recent BBC interviews, Bono said they are definitely NOT doing Glastonbury this year, but they would like to do it sometime.

yeah saw the quotes on NME's website

U2 reveal cheap gig and Glastonbury plans
U2

U2

Band set to play live later in the year

* Feb 27, 2009
* 1 Comments
* U2 news, reviews, video and tour dates
* Add U2 to MyNME

U2 have revealed that they are planning a cut-price ticket tour for later this year - and have said that although they won't be playing Glastonbury this year they are adamant that they will one day soon.

Frontman Bono told BBC Radio 1 that the shows would be outdoor affairs, but did not reveal specific details of locations or dates.

"We've got something very special planned," he said. "Something we've been working on for many years, a whole way of trying to do shows outdoors and make them very intimate.

"We're trying to work on some cheaper ticket prices because this is the recession. We're also going to have some very expensive ticket prices, because rich people have feelings too."

Speaking about the chances of the band playing Glastonbury some time soon, he added: "I know lots of people who love music want us to play that. It's something we're working up our whole life to do. I think that we can commit [to the idea] that we really, really want to do this."

U2 release their new album, 'No Line On The Horizon', on March 2.

there's hope for us yet, then! :ohmy:

To be honest its a bit of joke that the biggest band in the world for about 20 years haven't played arguably the biggest festival in the world at some point.

they can play the Glastonbury venue but not the festival

That would just look so ridiculously egotistical. 'Yeah we're too big to play your festival, so we'll have our own on the same site'. Eavis would tell them to fuck off, they are his fields after all.

Those dates relate to last year's not this year's as it always starts on a Friday and finishes on Sunday so andyuk is right. its on 19th, 20th and 21st. Even if U2 does agree to play Glasto (which is highly unlikely imo), it will not be on 20th as thats taken up by The Boss, Bruce Springsteen so that leaves either 19th or 21st.

So in theory it can happen if rumours are right that U2's world tour starts in Barcelona on 29th June.

Who knows?

Do some of you even bother looking into information before you go posting something that is 100% False to a message board? And you argue with me, and accuse ME of BS.

Listen, I have tickets to this year's Glastonbury. I know when it is. If you wanted to know when it is, you could go to any number of sites talking about this year's festival, or perhaps you could just go to the official Glastonbury website, where the dates are listed plain as day on the first page.

This year's festival goes from Wednesday June 24 to Sunday June 28.

I don't want to pick any fights, but I can't stand when I'm accused of being wrong, when the person doing the accusing, obviously didn't even take 5 seconds to check their facts.

That would just look so ridiculously egotistical. 'Yeah we're too big to play your festival, so we'll have our own on the same site'. Eavis would tell them to fuck off, they are his fields after all.
U2 are too big to play Glastonbury. The whole ethos of the festival would be fucked. U2 fans camped out in front of the main stage all day, not interested in the other 20 bands playing.

It would end up like the Longest Day in Milton Keynes: U2 fans chucking bottles at all the support bands. Except at Glastonbury they aren't "support" bands, they're other acts on the bill.

hahahahaha MikeyJB's post made me laugh out loud. I agree completely how egotistical would that be?! It's the most ridiculous idea ever. As for U2 at Glastonbury I could imagine it being a great gig but I could imagine the build up being a fucking train wreck.

Like Blueeyedgirl, among many other people who've posted on this subject at a couple of other forums I've visited, said it wouldn't be the same. You'd just have a swarm of people there solely to see U2. That said, we all love U2, but we all love tons of other bands right? It's not like they're just going to ignore the bands onstage during the day and respond to songs with silence. I don't want to assume every U2 fan who went to Glastonbury to see them specifically would be a total asshole.
I would be very pissed off though if I came back from Glastonbury after seeing U2 to find posts here complaining about the festival's weather or the camping or something ;)

Interesting point though, Glastonbury 2010 already sounds like the best fucking weekend ever. 40th Anniversary, bands from every year in the festival's history playing all over the site, huge bands in the tiniest of stages. Maybe U2 will feature in the line-up at some point? Imagine that, the icing on the cake if they headlined the saturday. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom