December 18th and 19th 2010 - Subiaco Oval - Perth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a good idea, which stations are on the Freo line?? I've only ever really caught the train from Thornlie to the city before, as I don't really need to go there much (I only go to the city about once a year). I have heard that Thornlie can a be a bit hit and miss because its only like a half line. It would probably be better if I can catch the train from a more reliable station. Also, can I catch a train from the Freo line directly to Subi? Or do I need to change trains in the city?

Just another question, what is GA that everyone keeps talking about?

I would think that most lines would have extra trains running on concert days. Didn't they have extra ones running last weekend when stereo was on? A few girls that I work with went and I'm sure one of them said you could catch a train from Subi directly to Thornlie. That was late at night too.

Looks like the best place to train it would actually be from Freo. I live about 20 minutes away so I could just leave my car there. Seems more straight forward than trying to go from Thornlie or 1 of the other stations. At least I know there will be lots of trains going there after the show too.

I went ahead and booked the Esplanade. Anyone else staying in Fremantle?

I have been to Joe's Fish Shack once or twice but I wouldn't really recommend it. Little Creatures is great and Kailis Brothers is good for fish and chips (Cicerellos is ok but a lot more crowded). Lots of restaurants get busy in Freo so make sure you make a booking (no need to book at Kailis Brothers or Little Creatures). If you like Indian food, The Maya is excellent, good food and reasonable prices. Plus, if your looking for other stuff to do around Freo, the prison has night tours on a Wed and Fri night (I think its still those nights). I've been to a few prison tours at night and had lots of fun.

The Esplanade is a very nice hotel and right near the water. They have a great restaurant too, I think they do buffet style meals.

You have chosen a very hot time of year to visit Perth, as the temperatues in Dec get to high 30s (degrees C) and into the 40s. Hopefully it won't be too hot for the U2 show on Sunday Dec 19th. It can still get coolish at this time of year but you won't need warm clothes.

You will love Perth, its a small city but clean and friendly. Any reason why you are coming all the way over here for the concert?? Sorry if you have already posted about that. Anyway, it will give you a good opportunity to see Australia, have you been here before??

You will love Perth, its a small city but clean and friendly. Any reason why you are coming all the way over here for the concert??

I missed out on the postponed USA dates this summer, so I needed a fix to carry me over until 2011 (I caught about 20 shows in Europe/USA/Canada in 2009)

Sorry if you have already posted about that. Anyway, it will give you a good opportunity to see Australia, have you been here before??

I was in Sydney in 2001, but this will be the first time in WA. Looking forward to it. Although the flight is going to take forever

...[/QUOTE

Yes the flight is very long!! I've flown from Sydney to Vancouver non-stop and it took 14 hours. Then on the way home, I flew from Toronto to Vancover and Vancouver back to Sydney - a total of 19 hours. Then I flew back to Perth the next day. I know someone that flew from Perth-Sydney, then Sydney to LA all in 1 day!! I loved my holiday to Canada and the US last year and I would definitely go again.

Where do you live in the US? Do you have to fly out from LA? I've heard that airport is massive.

How is everyone getting the concert?? I still trying to decide how to get there but whatever way I decide its going to be tricky. Getting home will be interesting. I've got a few options on how to get there:

Drive my car to my sister's house (she lives in Beaconsfield) and get her to drop me off at Freo train station or catch a taxi from her place (its only 5 minutes away).

Catch the train from Freo to Subi and go to the show. Then catch a train back to Freo after the show but trying to get back to my sister's place will be a bit tricky. I can either try and get a taxi from the station or ask her VERY nicely to pick me up (probably not likely because it will be late, like midnight). Or I could book a taxi........I don't like my chances though. Parking around Freo will be horrendous that day, as well as everywhere else.

My sister's partner is going to U2 aswell but he will be in the standing section. I could go with him but it might mean getting there early so he can wait in line. I'm pretty sure he will catch the train back to Freo as he only lives about 15 minutes away. Maybe I could get him to 'sweet talk' my sister into picking us both up.....lol!! Or maybe we could share a taxi or something.

I was looking up chauffeured cars but not sure if that would be a viable option. For one thing, it would just be me getting picked up and taken home (so probably not worth the cost) as I don't really know a large group of people going that could share with me. Has anyone ever done that before and done it by themselves?? On the other hand, at least a chauffeured car would 'definitely' turn up and it would mean peace of mind for me. I wouldn't have to worry about leaving my car anywhere or worry about how I'm going to get home (taxis will be fully booked) or have to 'bribe' anyone to pick me up from somewhere at midnight on a Sun..........If it means I don't have to worry about getting stranded, then I don't mind paying a bit more than a taxi (if they do 1 person transfers).

...[/QUOTE

Where do you live in the US? Do you have to fly out from LA? I've heard that airport is massive.

Im in Washington DC.

Flying DC->Tokyo->Bangkok->Perth

Stopovers in Tokyo & Bangkok for a night each in both directions will break up the flight and give me a chance to check out those cities

I used my FF miles to book it 1st Class the whole way, so Im looking forward to bottles of Dom and tins of Beluga caviar on the way over

Wow 1st class all the way will be well worth it. When I flew to Vancouver with Air Canada, the 1st class section looked very nice, lots of room and comfy looking seats. I was in economy and that was also very good. I would definitely fly Air Canada again and recommend it to anyone. Having stopovers will be good too, I thought about having a stopover in Hawaii on the way over but I decided on the non-stop 14 hour flight from Sydeny.

Dunno. We had three shows during the Love Town tour, perhaps you are having flashbacks : )

Jeff, at Melbourne, Jay Z was on at roughly 7pm ish and U2 was on around 9pm ish kinda, so lots of time to hang around before the show start. Hopefully Subi Oval security will let us sit down while we are waiting, unlike Melbourne which made us stand for the entire wait time. Im not sure why. They did it on both nights.

What time did the Melbourne show start?? Did it start at 4.30pm? If so, why did it take so long for Jay Z to come on, if he started at 7pm then U2 on at 9 ish??

Plus, if I've got a reserve seating ticket, do I have to wait in line with everyone else?? Or does that section have a separate line? Can I take a water bottle and bag in with me? Can I buy food there?

Sorry about all the questions, I've only been to The Big Day Out and the last 1 I went to was in 2002.

The Melbourne show started with Jay Z. The Melbourne gates opened at 5:30pm so we just hung around for a while, excitedly.

Yes there are separate lines for the seated people. You dont need to line up all day, thats just for nutters like me that want a fab view in GA. You can take in a water bottle and a bag. Security will inspect your bag (looking for alcohol I think). You can buy very bad food there yes.

Hope that answers the questions. Keep firing away.

Wear closed shoes. People jump and dance and have a good time. You toes may get crushed. Probably less of an issue in the seated area but you never know.

Great! Thanks for all the answers. I've already planned what I'm going to wear - probably jeans with a nice top and closed shoes.

I've been doing a bit of research into how to get to Subi oval on the day. I decided to lash out and get a chauffeured car. Its a bit expensive and sort of extravagent (sp??) but I thought 'what the hell!!'. Its a special occassion for me, I don't normally go to concerts but I've always loved U2. My housemate suggested the idea, I never even thought about getting to the concert that way. The company that I got the quote from told me they do 1 person transfers. I haven't made a booking yet but that should happen in the next few days. At least I don't have to worry about:

1. Trying to park somewhere
2. Waiting for taxis that never show up
3. Trying to catch trains at midnight by myself (I know there will be lots of other people doing it but I want to be safe)
4. Getting stranded somewhere with no way of getting home (especailly after midnight)
5. Hanging around train stations at midnight

I've also managed to get holidays from Dec 20th until Jan 10th so I won't have to worry about getting up early for work the next day after the concert. That was the main reason for wanting to get a chauffeured car to and from the concert but I think its a fantastic idea that I will stick with. Plus its only a bit more expensive than a taxi and I think they charge a flat rate (depending on how far you want to go) not like with taxis. It will be a nice Xmas present to myself.

The chauffeured car is all booked, I'm getting them to take me there and pick me up after the show. I can't wait, this concert is gonna be awesome!! I also can't believe that its on next weekend, the time has gone so quick!!!

What song do you think they will play last?? I'm thinking With or Without You. What does everyone else think? I really hope they play Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me - one of my favorite U2 songs. I also hope they play Bullet the Blue Sky and Vertigo.

Come on everyone, its only a week to go before the Perth shows!!! This time next week, I will be singing and dancing around in the reserved seating section!

What song do you think they will play last?? I'm thinking With or Without You. What does everyone else think? I really hope they play Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me - one of my favorite U2 songs. I also hope they play Bullet the Blue Sky and Vertigo.

do you really want to know? this site can tell you pretty quick and either make or ruin your day.

you may wish to give the place a fairly wide berth until your shows, because the risk of finding out something you may or may not want to know is pretty high.

There will be lots lining up! Some of the die hards are currently lining up for Sydney so wont be posting much on the interwebs. Plus people in Perth. There will be a line!

So glad Im in reserved seating, no lining up or camping out for me!! Looks like its gonna be a hot one that day too, hope everyone has lots of sunscreen. No I don't really want to know which song they do last, I was just wondering if anyone here wanted to guess thats all.

oops..thought this was the Sydney thread but it has given me ideas... I've been to over 50 countries but never even been to WA...have heard great thing about WA....U2 will be there... what more do I need (except a good dog sitter!!)?

oops..thought this was the Sydney thread but it has given me ideas... I've been to over 50 countries but never even been to WA...have heard great thing about WA....U2 will be there... what more do I need (except a good dog sitter!!)?

Dog type?

If she wasn't coming home that weekend (and hoping to get tickets to the show) I could have offered you my daughter to dog sit :D

Leaving Washington DC in 7 hours for my 3 day journey to Perth. Planning on hitting Little Creatures for lunch on Friday, then maybe the Irish Club of WA for happy hour :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom