December 13th and 14th 2010 - ANZ Stadium - Sydney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment regarding the choice for a hotel in Sydney. What is the best option, considering that I also want to do some sightseeing in Sydney in the days after the concert (will be in Sydney until Friday December 17th)? Book near the stadium or in Sydney itself (and then, where is a good area to stay)? Or do both (book near stadium for the show days and then move into the city)?
:help:

downtown is your best bet. it's hard not to be near a railway station (or other means) of getting to the olympic park.

I agree with Coolian that the city would be your best bet ~ close to all services and closest to most of the major tourist attractions ~ have you considered self service apartments in the city?

Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street - Wotif.com

this one is not in the prettiest part of the city but its close to chinatown, a couple of railway stations and there is a large supermarket and a bunch of smaller convenience stores close by too?

if you really just want a bed, a shower and a place to stash your stuff . . . youth hostel :cute: :lol:

http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W73983&page=7&viewType=all&startDay=2010-12-12

there is always north sydney ~ not as fashionable as the inner west or the city / eastern suburbs but some of these hotels look like pretty good value, and buses / trains in to the city are your best friend (20 mins in, tops, with no traffic) ~ might not be too bad on show night either as I am reasonably certain event buses and trains run from there

http://www.wotif.com/search/TextSea...e=AUD&startDay=2010-12-11&page=6&viewType=all

I've always wondered about something.

What's the difference between a hotel, a hostel, and an apartment?

In the States, a hotel is just exactly that, and an apartment is permanent housing that you pay rent for. And "hostel" is unheard of, unless you're talking about the movie HOSTEL.:lol:

Alright Sydney folks,

I'm staying here : Y Hotel Sydney - Y on the Park Hotel Sydney - YWCA Sydney

I'm near two stations (Redfern or Central) What would be the best type of ticket to buy? I have been to Sydney before, but I really don't remember what sort of thing we did for public transport. I think we got like a prepaid ticket and put like $30 or it or something.

Anyway. Apparently Public Transport to (and from?) the stadium is included in the price of the ticket? Something like that?

Likelyhood of using PT more than just to and from the concerts. I'm only in Sydney for three days, but likely to go up the Bridge and do a few other non U2 things.

Cheers!

^I have the same question.

I'm going to be in Sydney for four days. Initially, I was thinking about getting the 5-Day Sydney Pass. But it doesn't cover any area west of Croydon.

So I'm thinking about getting a 7-Day MyMulti2 Pass, which covers all areas from Bondi Junction to west of Olympic Park.

Would this MyMulti2 Pass be right for me?:help:

Thanks for all the info guys (and girls). I just booked a hotel. And hopefully the ferry service will be allright during show days!
:hyper:

does any one know much about the Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour? ie is it um well.. good? :wink:....also is anyone planning on staying in basic motels in the homebush area, since they would be much closer?

I mean I could book one of the last remaining olympic park area rooms, but at $1000 bucks a night, i get the inkling i'm being ripped off or something? :lol:

does any one know much about the Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour? ie is it um well.. good? :wink:....also is anyone planning on staying in basic motels in the homebush area, since they would be much closer?

I mean I could book one of the last remaining olympic park area rooms, but at $1000 bucks a night, i get the inkling i'm being ripped off or something? :lol:

I tried booking that hotel in Concord West, but they never got back to me.:shifty:

And yeah, the luxury hotels within Olympic Park are charging WAY too much.:angry:

Your best bet is to stay at a hotel in the CBD. I just might be staying at the Marque Sydney near Central Station. They're charging me approximately $150 AUD per night.

ah true but back in the day fremont st was the place to be. :wink: vegas is a bit different than most cities though. but yeah, usually downtown of whatever city is the heart, that's usually where you'll see the skyscrapers, bars, etc. usually lots of apartments (as opposed to houses, obvs), yeah.

:applaud: to all of you who have found a place to stay in sydernee town :up:

and, just quietly . . . is anyone planning on heading down to the stadium on the Saturday or Sunday prior to the shows on the off chance the band just might be rehearsing????? :shifty:

and, just quietly . . . is anyone planning on heading down to the stadium on the Saturday or Sunday prior to the shows on the off chance the band just might be rehearsing????? :shifty:

We'll arrive in Sydney the Saturday afternoon, and yes, I will be loitering around ANZ Saturday and Sunday just incase something interesting happens :wink:

:shifty:

i'm going to start scoping out mt smart stadium in about seven days or so :reject:

even if just to see claw progress.

:cute: . . . I have already planned to be a nice mumma and take my kiddies for afternoon tea at the Ikea not too far from ANZ stadium . . . unfortunately my sense of direction is kinda crap so I may accidentally take a wrong turn en route . . . :whistle: :wink:

We'll arrive in Sydney the Saturday afternoon, and yes, I will be loitering around ANZ Saturday and Sunday just incase something interesting happens :wink:

:shifty:

:happydance: . . . might just see you there then :shifty: :D

i'm just glad the significant other is a u2 fan, i don't know of anything near the stadium in auckland that would serve as a distraction if i wanted to con my way over there.

hey honey, want to check out windscreen repair?

What do you guys think some happenings may go on near the stadium on that weekend?

Of course I'd get a thrill just seeing a truck drive in, even if it's not even related to the U2 show, but that stuff's exciting for country boys, i don't see stadiums often... :wink:

I don't arrive to Monday though, oh well :doh:

What do you guys think some happenings may go on near the stadium on that weekend?

Of course I'd get a thrill just seeing a truck drive in, even if it's not even related to the U2 show, but that stuff's exciting for country boys, i don't see stadiums often... :wink:

I don't arrive to Monday though, oh well :doh:

well, it's the entire olympic park complex. there's most of the olympic venues, as well as quite a lot of cool historical stuff about the 2000 olympics. the stuff right next to the stadium is fantastic.

Sydney Olympic Park : A great place for events, leisure, sport, education, and business

i'm just glad the significant other is a u2 fan, i don't know of anything near the stadium in auckland that would serve as a distraction if i wanted to con my way over there.

hey honey, want to check out windscreen repair?
oh, you sure know how to sweet talk a girl!
swoon.gif

Thanks! I totally forgot that I should check out the Olympic stuff! Thanks :wave:
no problem! i could spend an entire day there and still not be satisfied.

if you watched any of the opening or closing ceremonies, cathy freeman park (aka the overflow) is a must visit. the olympics left a great legacy in sydney. i was in sydney recently and remember seeing a mural celebrating the olympics in a lift lobby on the monorail and got a bit of a kick out of it.

no problem! i could spend an entire day there and still not be satisfied.

if you watched any of the opening or closing ceremonies, cathy freeman park (aka the overflow) is a must visit. the olympics left a great legacy in sydney. i was in sydney recently and remember seeing a mural celebrating the olympics in a lift lobby on the monorail and got a bit of a kick out of it.

Yeah i was only 8 but still remember watching them! Is that park where the cauldron is now? it's a fountain now I thought?

I went to the MCG sports museum in Melb and saw all the 1956 olympic stuff which was sweet, but seeing the sydney parks etc would be awesome since I actually saw the games (tv of course haha) Got to remember this when I'm up there! :up:

Yeah i was only 8 but still remember watching them! Is that park where the cauldron is now? it's a fountain now I thought?

I went to the MCG sports museum in Melb and saw all the 1956 olympic stuff which was sweet, but seeing the sydney parks etc would be awesome since I actually saw the games (tv of course haha) Got to remember this when I'm up there! :up:

yeah, it's a fountain now. very cool. after bits and piece of the atlanta olympics, the sydney games are my first vivid memories of watching sport at all. i mean, i'd seen stuff before, but sydney sticks in my mind.

the park is great. all of the light towers are dedicated to previous games, there's a memorial to the munich games, a big audio/visual display right next to anz stadium (in almost a direct line between the stadium and the train station, you can't miss it). and like i said, almost every event was held in that one area, except for triathlon and such.

it's a shame you can't do it because there's an event on, but the stadium tour is also really, really cool. you get to walk on the one remaining part of the athletics track!

god i miss sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom