Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 22/8/09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

achtungbaby92

The Fly
Couldn't see a thread for this, but if i am wrong, feel free to delete.
Finally got my tickets last week :D Read in my local newspaper that the band won't be able to have the stadium roof shut like the Vertigo gig because the claw is too tall :ohmy:

I'll be at this show in cheapo seats behind the stage so I'm looking forward to that position. Ticketbastard emailed me today to say mine had been dispatched so hopefully they will arrive soon.

Good to know they won't be able to shut the roof. In Amsterdam they had it shut but I suspected Cardiff wouldn't have the height required. Will put a damper on the light show though.

Isnt the millenium stadium taller than the Amsterdam arena? if so i dont see how it would be a problem shutting the roof, half of me wants them to shut it, half of me doesnt, guess we will find out in 3 weeks time :up:

Isnt the millenium stadium taller than the Amsterdam arena? if so i dont see how it would be a problem shutting the roof, half of me wants them to shut it, half of me doesnt, guess we will find out in 3 weeks time :up:

It may be taller on the outside but the ArenA has the roof's mechanical structure above the stands level which is why it looks like a dome. As far as I know, the Millennium's hangs below it, and so is flat.

Pros of roof being open: sound is less enclosed; not as hot; can see spotlights in the sky; feels "outside".

Cons of roof being open: weather; too light for light-show at start of show; sound "leaks" a bit; loses "arena" feel.

I hope they pull out a surprise for the last show of the leg, though past evidence doesn't leave me hopeful. Should be good anyway!

I hope they pull out a surprise for the last show of the leg, though past evidence doesn't leave me hopeful. Should be good anyway!

Ultraviolet looks a cert, so im happy. Would be godly if Bad and The Unforgettable Fire managed to get into the setlist on the night, but ill happy regardless.

Was at cardiff for vertigo and the roof was shut and thought it was really good.Just feel its going to be brilliant anyway and cant wait for the concert roof open or roof shut.
Cant wait for ultraviolet.Counting down the days now.Down on friday:drool:

I will be getting there between half 9 and 10, probs not as early as some people, but i think it should still be early enough to secure a decent spot.

bigreddog (or anyone who was at vertigo cardiff for that matter), what was the que situation for that gig? what was the level of busyness in the morning? hundreds? thousands?

yeah gate 6 and 7 im pretty sure are the dedicated GA gates for the millennium stadium (or so said my friend who saw oasis there a few weeks back). I could be wrong though. Here is gates 6 and 7 (right next to each other - if you're getting off the train in cardiff central, just look for the vue cinema, the gates are right next door):

GATE 6 - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...1.476445,-3.181846&spn=0.001831,0.005681&z=18

GATE 7 - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=HWYCzAKYaRF5S41Q4N5E2g&cbp=12,290.45,,0,-3.5

KUEFC09U2 - my tickets are the same, though ive seen GA tickets on ebay with gate 7 on them.

Edit: those images should be street view on google map. if not, just drag the street view icon (green man) down towards this road and look towards the stadium:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s....181675&spn=0.000458,0.00142&t=h&z=20&iwloc=A

Had GA tickets for vertigo tour and was in queque early afternoon for gates opening at 4 and got in to the front section ok.Suppose its hard to tell and dont know what gate it was to be honest.There were a couple of hundred ahead of me i would say.:wave:

Looking at the videos on youtube of the show in Zagreb last night, it would be great if they could close the roof in Cardiff, the drama of the build up and the lighting effects is awesome in the dark. I was at Dublin 2 and it didn't get dark for quite a while. Normally I love it open and open to the elements but i'm thinking differently this time

I think the show will be darker than Dublin 2 for several reasons:

1. The stadium is taller
2. The stadium is enclosed on all sides
3. It is almost a month later

not sure yet
i don't think they will make that decision until late next week when the structure is in place.

weather forecast could also be a consideration

i hope its closed

btw - i saw Springsteen there a couple of years ago and no-one knew until showtime whether it would be open or closed.
it was a sunny day - so it was left open

Got my tickets today... people at Ticketmaster said they only sent them out today - blatant lie. I will be filling in a complaint form and asking for a refund of my call charges.

I've ordered Dublin and Cardiff tickets from them - one was delivered late (not knowing their arse from their elbow) and the Dublin never arrived - if they were even sent.

On the other side, Sheffield Box Office were very good, and even Ticketline did better than those jokers.

8 days!!! I've been listening to NLOTH loads this week...can't fucking WAIT! I need to shift TWO SPARE TICKETS THOUGH!!!!! :(

Welcome to interference evertonia, now i am assuming you are an evertonian? same as me ;), unfortunately i am getting the train down on the friday, i really hope you find someone to help.

My brother and I are flying in from America to see the show - can't wait!!! I hear the Cardiff crowds are always amazing. I'm getting into town early Saturday and it'd be great to say hi and chat with any other Interferers who are going.

I do have one problem though: EVERY hotel and hostel and B&B in the whole city is booked up, and has been for weeks! I've been scanning for anything, to be able to stay in town after the show, but I haven't found anything. Does anyone know of anywhere to stay? Any advice or info would be much appreciated! Thank you

9 more days! :hyper:

My brother and I are flying in from America to see the show - can't wait!!! I hear the Cardiff crowds are always amazing. I'm getting into town early Saturday and it'd be great to say hi and chat with any other Interferers who are going.

I do have one problem though: EVERY hotel and hostel and B&B in the whole city is booked up, and has been for weeks! I've been scanning for anything, to be able to stay in town after the show, but I haven't found anything. Does anyone know of anywhere to stay? Any advice or info would be much appreciated! Thank you

9 more days! :hyper:

apologies if you've already seen these, but hope they help:

NosDa Studio Hostel

Alternatively, for accommodation try:

Hotels in UK. Find Discount UK Hotels at LateRooms.

Commodore Hotel, Llanyrafon, Cwmbran, South Wales

good luck :up:

EDIT: You might also be in luck here: http://www.premierinn.com/pti/cardiff.do
they are a bit more expensive however

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom