Australian tour dates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The story about U2 not playing Vienna because the Jehovah Witnesses had booked the stadium included a sentence about the tour having 120 concerts. I've no idea where the journalist got that fact from but if it's true then I'd be confident that would include Oz and South America.

Their will be no Oz dates or Japan dates on this Tour, sorry for u guys in down under but this time the band will skip u. :sad::wave::sad:

Their will be no Oz dates or Japan dates on this Tour, sorry for u guys in down under but this time the band will skip u. :sad::wave::sad:

Up yours!!!! For the Vertigo tour Sydney had one of the biggest attendances. It was one of the few 3 show cities. Over 200,000 tickets were sold. They have to come again! I hope they do proper GA again since whilst the lining up was a pain the outcome is well worthwhile.

The band don't have any plans to come to Australia at the moment, but then it's not abnormal for Australia to be at the end of a tour, thus the plans aren't made at the start anyway. It'll depend on how the first couple of legs of the tour go, how the global economy is, how the Aussie dollar fares, etc.

With reports now that there might be a quick second album and that the tour could extend at least two years, I imagine Australia will be late 2010 after the second album (if, of course, that comes to pass!).

If Axver is right, then hopefully, we'll hear any new songs first, Zoomerang style! They've only missed us once in recent history, right?

They've only missed us once in recent history, right?

Right. Here's a comprehensive history:

All early tours up to and including October: No Australian visit or even plans.
War Tour: Australia planned for end of tour, but never came to pass.
UF Tour: To make up for not coming on War, New Zealand and Australia opened the tour.
JT Tour: Intended to start in New Zealand but JT sessions ran overtime. Tour did not come at all.
Lovetown: Scheduled expressly to make up for missing Australia/New Zealand on JT.
ZooTV: Came on final leg. There were some rumours they'd come earlier, like late 1992, but I think going ahead with Zooropa scuttled that.
Popmart: Come on final leg, as planned from the start. (Kiwi dates and a Singapore show were also in the original plan but never happened.)
Elevation: Didn't come. The band tried, they looked into all sorts of options, but at the time, the Aussie dollar was in a massive slump and they couldn't make it happen. Earnie Shavers has posted at some length on this.
Vertigo: Came on final leg. Things were looking shaky for the first couple of legs and you can look through the Interference archives to see how we thought a tour might not happen, but during November 2005, the shows were announced.

Up yours!!!! For the Vertigo tour Sydney had one of the biggest attendances. It was one of the few 3 show cities. Over 200,000 tickets were sold. They have to come again! I hope they do proper GA again since whilst the lining up was a pain the outcome is well worthwhile.

:lol: . . . love the opening remark, not terribly polite but it always makes me laugh :)

The band don't have any plans to come to Australia at the moment, but then it's not abnormal for Australia to be at the end of a tour, thus the plans aren't made at the start anyway. It'll depend on how the first couple of legs of the tour go, how the global economy is, how the Aussie dollar fares, etc.

With reports now that there might be a quick second album and that the tour could extend at least two years, I imagine Australia will be late 2010 after the second album (if, of course, that comes to pass!).

am counting on you Mr Axver to be right about this one :pray: . . . how does it feel to have the hopes of an entire u2 loving nation resting on your shoulders :wink:

If Axver is right, then hopefully, we'll hear any new songs first, Zoomerang style! They've only missed us once in recent history, right?

well, that would be entirely awesome & would give us all lots of time to save up and maybe catch more than just a show in sydney . . . have always wanted to see them in melbourne and / or adelaide as well :yes: just to see if all the rumours about different audience vibes is right after all :)

UF Tour: To make up for not coming on War, New Zealand and Australia opened the tour.
JT Tour: Intended to start in New Zealand but JT sessions ran overtime. Tour did not come at all.
Lovetown: Scheduled expressly to make up for missing Australia/New Zealand on JT.
ZooTV: Came on final leg. There were some rumours they'd come earlier, like late 1992, but I think going ahead with Zooropa scuttled that.
Popmart: Come on final leg, as planned from the start. (Kiwi dates and a Singapore show were also in the original plan but never happened.)
Elevation: Didn't come. The band tried, they looked into all sorts of options, but at the time, the Aussie dollar was in a massive slump and they couldn't make it happen. Earnie Shavers has posted at some length on this.
Vertigo: Came on final leg. Things were looking shaky for the first couple of legs and you can look through the Interference archives to see how we thought a tour might not happen, but during November 2005, the shows were announced.

The fact that the resident setlist guru is an Aussie has its perks!

So, if you focus on the fact that in nearly two decades, they've only missed us once because of the weakness of our dollar, things are looking up. Sure, we're shit all against the US dollar at the moment, but we haven't actually fallen that much against the euro or the pound, and we could be looking a lot better in a year's time. So I suppose if they're up to an extra 6 months or so to do the Southern Hemisphere, then we have a pretty decent chance of seeing them here in 2010. They filled Telstra 3 times over last time they came, so it can't be about the size of our fan base.

The fact that the resident setlist guru is an Aussie has its perks!

So, if you focus on the fact that in nearly two decades, they've only missed us once because of the weakness of our dollar, things are looking up. Sure, we're shit all against the US dollar at the moment, but we haven't actually fallen that much against the euro or the pound, and we could be looking a lot better in a year's time. So I suppose if they're up to an extra 6 months or so to do the Southern Hemisphere, then we have a pretty decent chance of seeing them here in 2010. They filled Telstra 3 times over last time they came, so it can't be about the size of our fan base.

What is perhaps cause for concern is that I could probably reel off that sort of information for all sorts of countries. :uhoh:

I think Vertigo resolved the band's worries about the fanbase. Popmart was a bit of a disaster in that regard. Brisbane and Melbourne in particular sold appallingly. I can't recall if Sydney didn't sell out, or if it was a technical sell out (i.e. all tickets put on sale sold, but the full capacity was not used), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the maximum capacity of the venue. Perth did sell out, but it was the smallest show of the tour, the only indoor one. In comparison, Sydney was one of only two cities to have attendance above 200,000 on Vertigo (the other was Dublin); all 50,000 tickets sold for Brisbane at the same venue at which only 17,500 people attended on Popmart (and a second show may have been viable); two Melbourne shows at a higher capacity venue to the Popmart one sold out.

They know they can draw the masses now. I've been meaning to ask Earnie for a while if we should perhaps start looking at the AUS$ rate against the Euro rather than the US$.

Sydney was the only sell out on Popmart i'm pretty sure. I went to Melbourne and Brisbane and the figures were something like 17,000 in Brisbane and 23,000 in Melbourne. It was very humilating to see u2 in a half empty stadiums. The reason the crowd figure was aprox 40,000 in Sydney and not 50,000 plus was because there was no general admission, seats in stadiums sucks.

Before you go making inane, baseless comments, at least use proper English.

As Axver said, a lot of it hinges on our dollar. If my brain serves me correctly, our dollar was buying less than 50 cents American around the time of the Elevation tour. We're in a global financial yada yada yada, but our dollar is yet to sink that low I think. U2 have a huge fanbase in Australia and their albums always sell well, not to mention the tours (barring Popmart) have been successful. Again as Axver said faith was restored thanks to the fifth Vertigo leg, I personally think they'll be keen to come out here again.

We were collectively very worried about the Vertigo tour, there were a lot of moments where an Australian tour was looking a little more than unlikely, but the dates were announced later in the tour, I'm not surprised they haven't released a full schedule.

Sydney was the only sell out on Popmart i'm pretty sure. I went to Melbourne and Brisbane and the figures were something like 17,000 in Brisbane and 23,000 in Melbourne. It was very humilating to see u2 in a half empty stadiums. The reason the crowd figure was aprox 40,000 in Sydney and not 50,000 plus was because there was no general admission, seats in stadiums sucks.

I thought Sydney was only about 35,000?

And as I said, Perth sold out too. Kind of hard for U2 to not to sell out a venue holding all of 13,000 or so people.

That would have been kind of awkward. I can't imagine U2 performing to half a stadium. My first show was Vertigo, and as they had postponed for 6 months, combined with the fact that they hadn't been in Sydney for 8 years, there seemed to be a particularly strong buzz in the stadium.

I would love to see them in their home town, and as luck would have it, I'm going to be in Dublin at the end of this year, when, at the moment, it looks like they'll have moved onto the US by then. :down:

Thanks for that Axver. :up:

Fingers crossed, I missed them last time they came, I do not want to miss them again. :(

I would love to see them in their home town, and as luck would have it, I'm going to be in Dublin at the end of this year, when, at the moment, it looks like they'll have moved onto the US by then. :down:

Do what I'm doing and blow a few grand on a mad midyear trip.

I already am. Its just a mad mid-year trip to the wrong continent! I'll be in South America for what looks like pretty much the whole time U2 is in Europe. And then I'll be in Europe when they're in US. :| I really shouldn't complain as I've been saving and planning for this trip for about 2 years, but it's kind of bordering on irony now. And really, I shouldn't count my chickens till the 9th of March.

I just hit 666 posts :evil:

It might not cost too much to make a short trip from Europe to see the band in the US.

I'm the only Interferencer who has hit 66666 posts. So much more evilness for the postcount that way.

I'm the only Interferencer who has hit 66666 posts. So much more evilness for the postcount that way.

Wow! You're leading everyone on this forum by at least 30 000 posts! That's pretty darn impressive. What do you get when you hit 100 000? There should be some sort of medal!

Right now, I lead WildHoney, who's second, by 33,510 posts. There are only 16 Interferencers who even have 33,510 posts. The hilarious thing is that I didn't even have 33,510 posts before the Superthread began this time last year.

U2 concert tickets would be even better than a medal. :wink:

I already am. Its just a mad mid-year trip to the wrong continent! I'll be in South America for what looks like pretty much the whole time U2 is in Europe. And then I'll be in Europe when they're in US. :| I really shouldn't complain as I've been saving and planning for this trip for about 2 years, but it's kind of bordering on irony now. And really, I shouldn't count my chickens till the 9th of March.

I just hit 666 posts :evil:
Hey in 2001 I planned a trip to Europe months in advance, only to end up in Dublin ONE WEEK after the Slane gigs. :| Still I got to run around the empty Slane Castle grounds imagining I was at the concert :facepalm:

And now you're on 669 posts :ohmy:

yeh, here in Perth and I was at Popmart and all other previous shows too, so don't blame ME :sad:

I just read NLOTH is number 1 in Australia (ARIA charts) so surely that will help get them back downunder! :hyper: mmaybe ? :reject:

I don't want to wait another 8 years (Popmart to Vertigo) for them to come here!
Again I am happy to fly to Sydney, Melbourne or wherever they choose to play, as I know for sure Perth will not be on the list (our 'new' stadium is on HOLD again thanks to economy blah blah but there's an excuse every year, so delay delay delay). Regardless, I would not expect U2 to come back to Perth ever again, but as I said as long as there are planes I will FLY to see U2 anywhere in Australia, so do do hope they do come here!!

I wish ppl wouldn't post negative statements as though they are fact, i.e. refer few posts above, why crush our aussies hopes ? :huh:

"Fogel said the 2009 portion of U2's tour will wrap up at the end of October before resuming in the summer/fall of 2010 in Europe and North America again, and hopefully South America."

What do youse make of that statement? Axver?

"Fogel said the 2009 portion of U2's tour will wrap up at the end of October before resuming in the summer/fall of 2010 in Europe and North America again, and hopefully South America."

What do youse make of that statement? Axver?

I'm no Axver.....But My hunch. About November 2010, when we'll see them back in Oz. Maybe March, it depends on how long the tour Europe/US for in early 2010.

I'd be banking on seeing them sometime in near our summer of 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom