Australian tour dates?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Tour Dates & Fan Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Australian tour dates??

Any information about Australian tour dates?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
Refugee

No. They may not be coming

Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 11:13 AM
The story about U2 not playing Vienna because the Jehovah Witnesses had booked the stadium included a sentence about the tour having 120 concerts. I've no idea where the journalist got that fact from but if it's true then I'd be confident that would include Oz and South America.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
The Fly

Their will be no Oz dates or Japan dates on this Tour, sorry for u guys in down under but this time the band will skip u.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
U2C
War Child

don't worry i'll think that they will come in 2010 to australien and new sealand
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTownTourist View Post
Their will be no Oz dates or Japan dates on this Tour, sorry for u guys in down under but this time the band will skip u.
Up yours!!!! For the Vertigo tour Sydney had one of the biggest attendances. It was one of the few 3 show cities. Over 200,000 tickets were sold. They have to come again! I hope they do proper GA again since whilst the lining up was a pain the outcome is well worthwhile.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

The band don't have any plans to come to Australia at the moment, but then it's not abnormal for Australia to be at the end of a tour, thus the plans aren't made at the start anyway. It'll depend on how the first couple of legs of the tour go, how the global economy is, how the Aussie dollar fares, etc.

With reports now that there might be a quick second album and that the tour could extend at least two years, I imagine Australia will be late 2010 after the second album (if, of course, that comes to pass!).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
War Child

If Axver is right, then hopefully, we'll hear any new songs first, Zoomerang style! They've only missed us once in recent history, right?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_lovegood View Post
They've only missed us once in recent history, right?
Right. Here's a comprehensive history:

All early tours up to and including October: No Australian visit or even plans.
War Tour: Australia planned for end of tour, but never came to pass.
UF Tour: To make up for not coming on War, New Zealand and Australia opened the tour.
JT Tour: Intended to start in New Zealand but JT sessions ran overtime. Tour did not come at all.
Lovetown: Scheduled expressly to make up for missing Australia/New Zealand on JT.
ZooTV: Came on final leg. There were some rumours they'd come earlier, like late 1992, but I think going ahead with Zooropa scuttled that.
Popmart: Come on final leg, as planned from the start. (Kiwi dates and a Singapore show were also in the original plan but never happened.)
Elevation: Didn't come. The band tried, they looked into all sorts of options, but at the time, the Aussie dollar was in a massive slump and they couldn't make it happen. Earnie Shavers has posted at some length on this.
Vertigo: Came on final leg. Things were looking shaky for the first couple of legs and you can look through the Interference archives to see how we thought a tour might not happen, but during November 2005, the shows were announced.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
Up yours!!!! For the Vertigo tour Sydney had one of the biggest attendances. It was one of the few 3 show cities. Over 200,000 tickets were sold. They have to come again! I hope they do proper GA again since whilst the lining up was a pain the outcome is well worthwhile.
. . . love the opening remark, not terribly polite but it always makes me laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The band don't have any plans to come to Australia at the moment, but then it's not abnormal for Australia to be at the end of a tour, thus the plans aren't made at the start anyway. It'll depend on how the first couple of legs of the tour go, how the global economy is, how the Aussie dollar fares, etc.

With reports now that there might be a quick second album and that the tour could extend at least two years, I imagine Australia will be late 2010 after the second album (if, of course, that comes to pass!).
am counting on you Mr Axver to be right about this one . . . how does it feel to have the hopes of an entire u2 loving nation resting on your shoulders

Quote:
If Axver is right, then hopefully, we'll hear any new songs first, Zoomerang style! They've only missed us once in recent history, right?
well, that would be entirely awesome & would give us all lots of time to save up and maybe catch more than just a show in sydney . . . have always wanted to see them in melbourne and / or adelaide as well just to see if all the rumours about different audience vibes is right after all
Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Right. Here's a comprehensive history:

All early tours up to and including October: No Australian visit or even plans.
War Tour: Australia planned for end of tour, but never came to pass.
UF Tour: To make up for not coming on War, New Zealand and Australia opened the tour.
JT Tour: Intended to start in New Zealand but JT sessions ran overtime. Tour did not come at all.
Lovetown: Scheduled expressly to make up for missing Australia/New Zealand on JT.
ZooTV: Came on final leg. There were some rumours they'd come earlier, like late 1992, but I think going ahead with Zooropa scuttled that.
Popmart: Come on final leg, as planned from the start. (Kiwi dates and a Singapore show were also in the original plan but never happened.)
Elevation: Didn't come. The band tried, they looked into all sorts of options, but at the time, the Aussie dollar was in a massive slump and they couldn't make it happen. Earnie Shavers has posted at some length on this.
Vertigo: Came on final leg. Things were looking shaky for the first couple of legs and you can look through the Interference archives to see how we thought a tour might not happen, but during November 2005, the shows were announced.
The fact that the resident setlist guru is an Aussie has its perks!

So, if you focus on the fact that in nearly two decades, they've only missed us once because of the weakness of our dollar, things are looking up. Sure, we're shit all against the US dollar at the moment, but we haven't actually fallen that much against the euro or the pound, and we could be looking a lot better in a year's time. So I suppose if they're up to an extra 6 months or so to do the Southern Hemisphere, then we have a pretty decent chance of seeing them here in 2010. They filled Telstra 3 times over last time they came, so it can't be about the size of our fan base.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

Quote:
The fact that the resident setlist guru is an Aussie has its perks!

So, if you focus on the fact that in nearly two decades, they've only missed us once because of the weakness of our dollar, things are looking up. Sure, we're shit all against the US dollar at the moment, but we haven't actually fallen that much against the euro or the pound, and we could be looking a lot better in a year's time. So I suppose if they're up to an extra 6 months or so to do the Southern Hemisphere, then we have a pretty decent chance of seeing them here in 2010. They filled Telstra 3 times over last time they came, so it can't be about the size of our fan base.
What is perhaps cause for concern is that I could probably reel off that sort of information for all sorts of countries.

I think Vertigo resolved the band's worries about the fanbase. Popmart was a bit of a disaster in that regard. Brisbane and Melbourne in particular sold appallingly. I can't recall if Sydney didn't sell out, or if it was a technical sell out (i.e. all tickets put on sale sold, but the full capacity was not used), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the maximum capacity of the venue. Perth did sell out, but it was the smallest show of the tour, the only indoor one. In comparison, Sydney was one of only two cities to have attendance above 200,000 on Vertigo (the other was Dublin); all 50,000 tickets sold for Brisbane at the same venue at which only 17,500 people attended on Popmart (and a second show may have been viable); two Melbourne shows at a higher capacity venue to the Popmart one sold out.

They know they can draw the masses now. I've been meaning to ask Earnie for a while if we should perhaps start looking at the AUS$ rate against the Euro rather than the US$.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Sydney was the only sell out on Popmart i'm pretty sure. I went to Melbourne and Brisbane and the figures were something like 17,000 in Brisbane and 23,000 in Melbourne. It was very humilating to see u2 in a half empty stadiums. The reason the crowd figure was aprox 40,000 in Sydney and not 50,000 plus was because there was no general admission, seats in stadiums sucks.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTownTourist View Post
Before you go making inane, baseless comments, at least use proper English.

As Axver said, a lot of it hinges on our dollar. If my brain serves me correctly, our dollar was buying less than 50 cents American around the time of the Elevation tour. We're in a global financial yada yada yada, but our dollar is yet to sink that low I think. U2 have a huge fanbase in Australia and their albums always sell well, not to mention the tours (barring Popmart) have been successful. Again as Axver said faith was restored thanks to the fifth Vertigo leg, I personally think they'll be keen to come out here again.

We were collectively very worried about the Vertigo tour, there were a lot of moments where an Australian tour was looking a little more than unlikely, but the dates were announced later in the tour, I'm not surprised they haven't released a full schedule.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebonoman96 View Post
Sydney was the only sell out on Popmart i'm pretty sure. I went to Melbourne and Brisbane and the figures were something like 17,000 in Brisbane and 23,000 in Melbourne. It was very humilating to see u2 in a half empty stadiums. The reason the crowd figure was aprox 40,000 in Sydney and not 50,000 plus was because there was no general admission, seats in stadiums sucks.
I thought Sydney was only about 35,000?

And as I said, Perth sold out too. Kind of hard for U2 to not to sell out a venue holding all of 13,000 or so people.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
australia, australian dates