Australian tour dates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no Axver.....But My hunch. About November 2010, when we'll see them back in Oz. Maybe March, it depends on how long the tour Europe/US for in early 2010.

I'd be banking on seeing them sometime in near our summer of 2010.

have all my fingers and toes crossed that you are right . . . and am assuming that presale codes will still be valid / don't have a use by date :hmm:

So nearly two years from now? Oh my...

gives us lots of time to train for ga madness :D

Prey to god Australia gets the tour dates later. Coldplay are playing in Australia now so hopefully u2 come. Madonna didn't because she was too expensive to bring out with full show dancers etc. I do hope our dollar picks up too.

there's a thread somewhere about this fellow aussie :wave: at this stage no aussie dates, but we are HOPING for 2010

the only announcement today was for Europe/USA in 2009

stay tuned ...

I think it will happen.... I think they'll want to tour the arse off these, hopefully two, records... I also think that they'll want to take this stage everywhere! Fingers crossed for you guys...:hug:

"Fogel said the 2009 portion of U2's tour will wrap up at the end of October before resuming in the summer/fall of 2010 in Europe and North America again, and hopefully South America."

What do youse make of that statement? Axver?

The way I see it, between the end of the second leg of 360 in late October and the resumption on the third leg in July 2010, the band want to get Songs Of Ascent nailed, released, and promoted. I'm assuming an early 2010 release date, roughly around the same time period as NLOTH. U2 seem to have this bizarre aversion to full-scale touring around the time of an album's release, preferring instead to stick to just TV promos, while most other bands tour as closely as they can to the release date, so I wouldn't be expecting them to visit our shores in early 2010. That said, this isn't a normal album release; it's more comparable to Zooropa and they were touring at the time of its release, so I wouldn't be totally shocked if we were lucky and scored gigs then.

The long and short of it, though, is that if we're going to get gigs, they will most likely to late 2010, bundled in with South America. It would be peculiar if they hit South America without coming across the Pacific to us, especially given how well the album's charted and how stunningly the Vertigo Tour sold. I haven't actually worked this out mathematically, but I wouldn't be shocked if Australia had the highest per capita Vertigo Tour attendance outside of Ireland.

didnt madonna and mccartney pull out due to the poor dollar?

Perhaps they are waiting until they can cash in!

Mad Madonna did her full band was too much money dancers etc.

I hope U2 come . the dollar is making us suffer.

The way I see it, between the end of the second leg of 360 in late October and the resumption on the third leg in July 2010, the band want to get Songs Of Ascent nailed, released, and promoted. I'm assuming an early 2010 release date, roughly around the same time period as NLOTH. U2 seem to have this bizarre aversion to full-scale touring around the time of an album's release, preferring instead to stick to just TV promos, while most other bands tour as closely as they can to the release date, so I wouldn't be expecting them to visit our shores in early 2010. That said, this isn't a normal album release; it's more comparable to Zooropa and they were touring at the time of its release, so I wouldn't be totally shocked if we were lucky and scored gigs then.

The long and short of it, though, is that if we're going to get gigs, they will most likely to late 2010, bundled in with South America. It would be peculiar if they hit South America without coming across the Pacific to us, especially given how well the album's charted and how stunningly the Vertigo Tour sold. I haven't actually worked this out mathematically, but I wouldn't be shocked if Australia had the highest per capita Vertigo Tour attendance outside of Ireland.

I so hope you are right . . . gotta ask the obvious then, for anyone who can't afford to hit europe or the USA, do we hang on to the presale codes and hope they are good for the if/when/possible Australian leg?

Methinks a big ole letter with lots of lovely siggies sent to the band might be in order at some point :wink:

I thought Madonna had changed her mind again and some dates in September were being toyed with?

Man this has gotta come to Oz...

U2 is gunning for the highest grossing tour of all time. This will include Oz.

Though I have heard no rumours, I thought the Oct 28 end date for the US tour was much earlier than past outings. Perfect time for an swing down under since it's their summer.

SUPERSTARS Madonna, Neil Diamond and Paul McCartney have scrapped Australian tour plans because of the weak dollar.

Madonna had agreed to perform at Sydney's ANZ Stadium and Melbourne's Docklands in late January, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.
Tickets for Madonna's shows, presented by US tour giant Live Nation and local promoter Michael Coppel, were due to go on sale two weeks ago.

She planned to charge a top ticket price of $400.

"t got as close as anything ever gets,'' a tour industry source said.

"Madonna was coming to Australia, the dates were resolved, then economics got in the way.''

Mr Coppel yesterday confirmed the Madonna deal, but refused to elaborate.

The revelations follow a growing list of postponed tour plans by world superstars.

Concert industry sources say Diamond, McCartney, The Eagles, Green Day and Metallica have put visits on hold because of the bad economy.

"It's unknown territory at the moment,'' said promoter Michael Chugg. ``A lot of tours went on sale before the dollar crashed.

"We are only starting to see the affect of the economy on the tour industry.''

Mr Coppel said the weak dollar had made promoters, and touring superstars, cautious.

"Everyone is feeling their way,'' he said.

"The risk level has gone up substantially.''
Madonna dumps Aussie tour dates | The Daily Telegraph

Thats on madonna etc.

SUPERSTARS Madonna, Neil Diamond and Paul McCartney have scrapped Australian tour plans because of the weak dollar.

Madonna had agreed to perform at Sydney's ANZ Stadium and Melbourne's Docklands in late January, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.
Tickets for Madonna's shows, presented by US tour giant Live Nation and local promoter Michael Coppel, were due to go on sale two weeks ago.

She planned to charge a top ticket price of $400.

"t got as close as anything ever gets,'' a tour industry source said.

"Madonna was coming to Australia, the dates were resolved, then economics got in the way.''

Mr Coppel yesterday confirmed the Madonna deal, but refused to elaborate.

The revelations follow a growing list of postponed tour plans by world superstars.

Concert industry sources say Diamond, McCartney, The Eagles, Green Day and Metallica have put visits on hold because of the bad economy.

"It's unknown territory at the moment,'' said promoter Michael Chugg. ``A lot of tours went on sale before the dollar crashed.

"We are only starting to see the affect of the economy on the tour industry.''

Mr Coppel said the weak dollar had made promoters, and touring superstars, cautious.

"Everyone is feeling their way,'' he said.

"The risk level has gone up substantially.''
Madonna dumps Aussie tour dates | The Daily Telegraph

Thats on madonna etc.

That was posted November 30th 2008 - last year.
Fresh rumors came up in mid-late January this year that 3 dates are scheduled for 24th Sep Brisbane, 26th Sep Sydney & 29th Sep Melbourne 2009.

Rumour : Sticky & Sweet Encore ? | all about Madonna
Leaked itinerary confirms Madonna' September Australian tour! | Music News | Access All Areas
Madonna at Telstra Dome (Melbourne) on 29 Sep 2009 – Last.fm

fullautoreverse Thanks for info on Madonna If she comes i will see her :D

I was listening to a interview of larry He says They tour America and europe then 2010 more in usa then finish up in europe . So looks like Australia misses out and japan other countrys too not fair :(

Heres the link to it.
http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-060309-24m17s-thetwolarrys

Don't stress, not yet anyway. Larry will be commenting on those concerts already locked in and announced. There still may be an additional leg for South America and Australasia slotted in somewhere. He's not going to mention that though given the immediate concern is the upcoming Europe and US legs.

There was a 2002 Euro stadium U2 tour was booked but canned at the last minute. Held dates, rumoured itinerary from scalpers and even some u2 doumentation saying "Elevation tour 2001-2".

That said, we already know this tour is running into xmas 2010.

This sounds stupid, but I just wish we knew cuz if they are not coming down this way at all I have a really good friend heading overseas at the end of June who is a spazzy U2 fan & I'd love to use my presale for them - someone should get some use out of em if I can't :yes:

U2 is gunning for the highest grossing tour of all time. This will include Oz.

Though I have heard no rumours, I thought the Oct 28 end date for the US tour was much earlier than past outings. Perfect time for an swing down under since it's their summer.

I doubt that. They have said they want to spend more time with their families. I'd say they will go home to Dublin for Christmas.

There's no way they will be here this year. Don't forget also, that it's only 2 years since they were here.

I doubt that. They have said they want to spend more time with their families. I'd say they will go home to Dublin for Christmas.

Vancouver is 2 months before Xmas. Don't think they've toured in January since LoveTown.

I bet some band member see their kids when they are on tour more than when they are not working. Especially when they have long days int he studio or record is cities away from their main home(ie: Edge recording in Dublin with family in LA) Thier kids are usually pulled from school and tutured for the entire tour in past years.

Bloody hell....the aussie dollar is stronger than when they last toured in Nov 06 currently around $0.80 USD and our economy has already started to show positive growth well ahead of the rest of the world during this financial crisis.

If money is the reason why U2 is not touring to Oceania at all.....well,then they can get stuffed!

If this stage setup was more in the realm of Vertigo there’d be absolutely no doubt. I’d say only album plans would fuck up the assumed timing if that were the case. That last trip was a barnstormer. 210-240K in Sydney alone - 2nd largest attendance behind Dublin. They could have added another night in Melbourne and Brisbane and easily included a couple of Perth sellouts as well.

There were some other factors with Vertigo as well. That stage set was nothing incredible. Big and expensive, but not unique in size or scope, so you could point to other tours of similar size and see it can be done (e.g. Robbie Williams’ very very successful stadium tour at around the time they were locking this one down). There was also, can’t remember the exact deal, but the arrangement with the promoters put pretty much all the risk on their shoulders, not U2’s, who may have even done it on essentially just a fee that was set regardless of attendance. With the size and scope of this, it might either be simply too much, simply not add up under any scenario (they’d still need to bring at least two claws – perhaps still three for the leg if they want to move quickish through the countries) or the promoters may not be up for that kind of risk this time. In reverse, if the math somehow miraculously works, U2 might look to the massive success of last time and want more of that pie this time and take more of the risk on themselves, thus giving the promoters way more enthusiasm for it.

Personally, I think this will be an event tour in a way that Vertigo wasn’t, or even Popmart wasn’t. More like ZooTV where there’s a rumble going on as it rolls around the world. I think over the next little while everyone you know will catch something on or about this tour. I think there’s no question that the promoters will want to bring it here, and that U2 will want to come here. But how much does it cost to take two or three fucking claws to the other side of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom