August 10, 2010 Commerzbank Arena, Frankfurt DE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neutral

genius of compression, Forum Moderator
forty miles from atlanta, this is nowhere
Commerzbank-Arena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really want to go to Frankfurt. :hmm: Would love to visit another city there, have never been outside of Solingen.

800px-Coba-arena-ffm004.jpg

genesis_konzert.jpg

i'm going to try my very hardest to make this happen. a lot can happen in a year, so i might be able to save up if i cut corners, limit spending, and starve a little ;)

i've never been to germany, it would be a great opportunity to spend a week there.

This is like forever away (time-wise). I've been to Frankfurt like 5 times. It's a smaller, commercial city, with not a lot to see within the city itself. Some cool skyscrapers though. Hotel prices really go through the roof when there's a major exhibition (or maybe concert) in town.

Stayed here a few times:

with a pretty cool view of the Main (facing away from downtown)-

Wow, what a cool looking hotel! And great view!! Why have you gone so often? Was it for work? Or is it that awesome, you just keep coming back?

My sister and her family lived there for a few years, but it was nice to sight-see too (outside of the city). Yeah - nice hotel with kitchens in the suites. The rates vary like crazy though - something like $100 when there's no trade fair or event in town(when I went) to over $500 when there is. Rates were crazy during the World Cup too. That's a fairly common price pattern (low to high) for all Frankfurt hotels, and could be the case for the U2 show.

it's only 2:30h from where I live (with car). I think my dad and his colleagues from work are going. I hope they can give me a ride. :wink:

:wave:

Is this also an arena with closed roof like Gelsenkirchen? :huh:

If Rome really happens, I don't know if I'll try to go to Frankfurt. Doesn't look like a good stadium.

Looking forward to Munich a lot, accoustics is always very good there :up:
(unlike in Vienna)

My sister and her family lived there for a few years, but it was nice to sight-see too (outside of the city). Yeah - nice hotel with kitchens in the suites. The rates vary like crazy though - something like $100 when there's no trade fair or event in town(when I went) to over $500 when there is. Rates were crazy during the World Cup too. That's a fairly common price pattern (low to high) for all Frankfurt hotels, and could be the case for the U2 show.

If booked now, the Holiday Inn is 74 Euro. :lol: Maybe they haven't heard the news yet.

If booked now, the Holiday Inn is 74 Euro. :lol: Maybe they haven't heard the news yet.

Yeah - it's still early. No trade fairs either at that time - a slow month. If it's mostly locals at the show, they might not raise the rates.

Are you going to stay with Leif the whole time? The Frankfurt and Hannover shows are quite a distance away.

Right now we are just thinking of getting a hotel in Frankfurt for that concert. For the Hannover show if it worked out then we would stay with Leif. Want to see Berlin while Im there.

All of this is resting on how much a hotel and airfare will cost for 2 people to make this trip lol. Interested in splitting a hotel if we go?

Yeah - it's still early. No trade fairs either at that time - a slow month. If it's mostly locals at the show, they might not raise the rates.

That'd be nice! Especially since I'm reluctant to book a hotel room a year in advance.

If you have any recommendations of places to go and things to do, please share! Also, if you have any pics of the area that you took yourself, feel free to post. I'd like to stay there for at least 1 or 2 days before the show. After that show I'll probably head straight to Hannover.

Yeah it's 2 hours by train

So after Frankfurt you'd go to Berlin? Or would you stay in Hannover? Having to commute for 2 hours will impact GA line up, unless of course you get seats.

And yes, I'd definitely be in on splitting a hotel in Frankfurt! Hell if we book it now it could be ridiculously cheap! Although I'm reluctant to book things like this so far in advance, I think having a commitment to split a hotel might force me to keep an eye on my finances.

Is this also an arena with closed roof like Gelsenkirchen? :huh:

If Rome really happens, I don't know if I'll try to go to Frankfurt. Doesn't look like a good stadium.

Looking forward to Munich a lot, accoustics is always very good there :up:
(unlike in Vienna)

I heard the sound sucks in the stands. maybe the same problem as in gelsenkirchen. but I think everyone here is going for GA anyway.

Crash at Leif's!! :hyper: Ahem :shifty:

Wow it's so funny talking about dates so far away :crack: But I really would love to see them in Germany. Especially as there are no Holland dates (yet). But otherwise, I probably would have gone as well anyway :)

So after Frankfurt you'd go to Berlin? Or would you stay in Hannover? Having to commute for 2 hours will impact GA line up, unless of course you get seats.

And yes, I'd definitely be in on splitting a hotel in Frankfurt! Hell if we book it now it could be ridiculously cheap! Although I'm reluctant to book things like this so far in advance, I think having a commitment to split a hotel might force me to keep an eye on my finances.

Even if Mike and I end up with seats for the Hannover show we will just find a hotel around that area. The trip to Berlin,if it works out,wouldn't be until after both shows are over. Are you going to Hannover too?

Like you Im reluctant too with booking a place so early. Rates being so cheap at the moment though do make it tempting to go ahead and set something up.

Even if Mike and I end up with seats for the Hannover show we will just find a hotel around that area. The trip to Berlin,if it works out,wouldn't be until after both shows are over. Are you going to Hannover too?

Like you Im reluctant too with booking a place so early. Rates being so cheap at the moment though do make it tempting to go ahead and set something up.

Perhaps we can go to both shows, and then, if we okay things with Leif, maybe stay a few days in Berlin after the Hannover show? I've always wanted to go there too. It would be silly for me to spend a week in that country and not go to Berlin.

Crash at Leif's!! :hyper: Ahem :shifty:

Wow it's so funny talking about dates so far away :crack: But I really would love to see them in Germany. Especially as there are no Holland dates (yet). But otherwise, I probably would have gone as well anyway :)

what's up with rotterdam? no rumors yet?

:whistle:

Splitting a hotel in Frankfurt would be very nice. From experience, you don't really need to show up before noon and still have a good chance to get great spots. Though, of course, that could always be different. Hannover isn't that far from Holland, and should they get no shows there might be quite a few coming over. And Dutch fans are much crazier than lazy Germans.
Still, there is trains running very early from Berlin, so that might be an option. I just would be happy about some dates, also since I might be going to Vienna and then I need to know things for certain. :)
Is Tracey coming? :D

Otherwise, I don't have the last clue about my situation about a year from now, but when U2 is playing I'm all in.

When it comes to sightseeing, Frankfurt is a bit interesting, Hannover way less, and Berlin is the place to be. :D

Perhaps we can go to both shows, and then, if we okay things with Leif, maybe stay a few days in Berlin after the Hannover show? I've always wanted to go there too. It would be silly for me to spend a week in that country and not go to Berlin.

Sounds like a great plan to me! Want to do both shows but if I can only do Frankfurt Im ok with that. Once the US dates are announced I will have a better idea of everything. Oh and seeing U2 overseas makes Lollapalooza pale in comparison :wink:

MJ if they end up adding a date in Holland are you still going to a Germany show?

Well, considering jet lag and all, I'd ideally arrive in Frankfurt on Sunday or Monday. I'd probably take a train to Hannover sometime Wednesday. Then, I'd like to head to Berlin on Friday and stay perhaps until Sunday or Monday...depending on which flight is cheaper ;)

Again, this is all tentative, but that's my ideal travel itinerary.

:whistle:

Splitting a hotel in Frankfurt would be very nice. From experience, you don't really need to show up before noon and still have a good chance to get great spots. Though, of course, that could always be different. Hannover isn't that far from Holland, and should they get no shows there might be quite a few coming over. And Dutch fans are much crazier than lazy Germans.
Still, there is trains running very early from Berlin, so that might be an option. I just would be happy about some dates, also since I might be going to Vienna and then I need to know things for certain. :)
Is Tracey coming? :D

Otherwise, I don't have the last clue about my situation about a year from now, but when U2 is playing I'm all in.

When it comes to sightseeing, Frankfurt is a bit interesting, Hannover way less, and Berlin is the place to be. :D

When are you planning on going to Vienna? August works great for me and would allow of us to get together for a concert. Oh and last time I talked to Tracey she was still in for coming. She's very excited about seeing you again! :).

The more in the hotel room the cheaper it is all around :wink:

Oh, just see, there is quite some time between the German shows and Vienna.
After Hannover there is the concert in Horsens, August 15. It's close to where I'm from. But since no one else seems to be going I could skip that.
I will have to talk to Natalia before I can make any promises regarding my appartment for ~5 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom