Atlanta - Georgia Dome 06 Oct 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a friendly reminder to all driving down to the Dome, since this concert is during the week, you will have to deal with normal rush hour traffic and in Atlanta it is a bitch especially if there is one accident, or rain. Toss in an event at the dome, cops misdirecting traffic and you are guaranteed a nightmare commute. It would not be a stretch for the commute to take 2 hours. It has happened to me before. So give yourself plenty of time and of course if you can, take MARTA.

:)

Iris - Kelly & I are staying at the downtown Sheraton, supposedly just over a 1/2 mile from the Dome. Is the area sketchy enough that we should catch the MARTA or is walking OK?

I don't think I'd make that walk back after the concert. In my experience, the area around the dome gets really deserted just a short distance away from the actual dome. Not a fun situation to be in.

I'm planning to arrive on the 6th and take an early morning flight out on the 7th. :crack: Can't really afford to book a hotel right now.

Does anyone know if it's pretty safe to take the MARTA all the way back to the airport after the show? I figured yes, but thought I'd ask. :)

Want to share a hotel if possible...

Hey, I'm looking to share a hotel room the day of the show. All I REALLY need is a place to put my bike during the concert (don't want to leave it at the Dome!) and maybe crash for a few hours after the show. I've got a GA ticket, so I won't be spending the day in the room or anything like that, but I'll split the cost equitably. Heck, I'll take floor space! }:)~

You see, I plan on riding my bicycle to the show - it's nearly 70 miles from where I live, but I am not totally insane. I'm going to have a friend drop me and my bike off in Rockmart, where I'll pick up the Silver Comet Trail (silvercometga.com) all the way to Smyrna (40 miles). From where the Trail ends, it's just 10 miles to the Dome. But I sure as hell don't want to leave my bike down there!

No, I don't run bike races or anything like that. Yes, I could get a ride all the way to Atlanta if I wanted to (and I will if it rains!) I just think it'd be fun to see if I COULD do it.

I know I don't get around Interference as much as I used to, but a few people around here might remember me. I don't drink or do drugs, but I do smoke cigs. Like I said, I just need a place to crash and keep my bike.

Thanks!

goat

I don't think I'd make that walk back after the concert. In my experience, the area around the dome gets really deserted just a short distance away from the actual dome. Not a fun situation to be in.

Really? Hmm I guess I assumed there would be plenty of other people around walking back to downtown hotels. :doh: I think our hotel is right outside the Peachtree Center Marta stop, guess that would work if needed.

I can't believe the show is finally almost here!

Really? Hmm I guess I assumed there would be plenty of other people around walking back to downtown hotels. :doh: I think our hotel is right outside the Peachtree Center Marta stop, guess that would work if needed.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Atlanta but it's a pretty scary city sometimes. If you're with a big group and your hotel is close you should be fine but I wouldn't wander too far. There's plenty of places I wouldn't go in bright daylight in that city. But I might also feel that way since I live in such a small town I can find Athens intimidating.

And I can't believe it's this close either!!!! Still can't decide when to line up. If I'm there at 12 how close should I be? I can get there at anytime but I might prefer less line time.

Since you brought it up

Has anyone called Georgia Dome to find out where to line up or if they are allowing lines (last year, Phillips arena tried to clear the line out, which was frustrating)? Has anyone attended another concert and tried lining up earlier? If so, what were the results?

I called and asked if people would be allowed to camp out overnight. they said most likely not and that since the Red parking lot opens at 7am, they would most likely allow people to start lining up then. They also said venue will not be issuing wristbands for the queue like Philips did for Springsteen so you can't just check in then come back later. I will probably call again next week just to see if there are any changes.

My daughters and I will see y'all there!

You will see loads of people walking around the area after the show, the question becomes how many blocks the crowds will travel on the streets. I personally think you will be fine.

A few weeks ago i emailed the dome asking about how the GA line would be handled....(times....bathrooms?....etc..) and the person emailed quickly back and said they'd have the policy up on the website when it becomes available. since then i've seen nothing and i've emailed back 3 times to different people and no one's emailed me back.
Wish they'd post something soon.....we are planning on arriving around 3 am.

-michael (nashville, TN)

Hey guys.. we need to meet up for a late lunch.. anyone up for it? We'll all head down? or meet up down there.. Iris. you are the ring leader!

Hey, I'm looking to share a hotel room the day of the show. All I REALLY need is a place to put my bike during the concert (don't want to leave it at the Dome!) and maybe crash for a few hours after the show. I've got a GA ticket, so I won't be spending the day in the room or anything like that, but I'll split the cost equitably. Heck, I'll take floor space! }:)~

You see, I plan on riding my bicycle to the show - it's nearly 70 miles from where I live, but I am not totally insane. I'm going to have a friend drop me and my bike off in Rockmart, where I'll pick up the Silver Comet Trail (silvercometga.com) all the way to Smyrna (40 miles). From where the Trail ends, it's just 10 miles to the Dome. But I sure as hell don't want to leave my bike down there!

No, I don't run bike races or anything like that. Yes, I could get a ride all the way to Atlanta if I wanted to (and I will if it rains!) I just think it'd be fun to see if I COULD do it.

I know I don't get around Interference as much as I used to, but a few people around here might remember me. I don't drink or do drugs, but I do smoke cigs. Like I said, I just need a place to crash and keep my bike.

Thanks!

goat

I have a bike rack for my car, you put your bike on my car. :wink:

You might beat everyone sitting in traffic. Sounds like fun. :up:

what's the general age of the people attending? I'm 19 and I have a feeling I'll be a baby at the show.

what's the general age of the people attending? I'm 19 and I have a feeling I'll be a baby at the show.

My hubby and I are in our 40's, bring along a 17 year-old and a 13-year-old. We have seats, though! At this point I'd like to punt all 4 of my seats as well as said hubby and son, and get Red Zone for me and my awesome daughter! :lol:

I'm 34 and attending with two other 34 yr olds. Don't worrying about being a baby for U2, I was 17 when I first saw them and it was a blast! Never too young!

A few weeks ago i emailed the dome asking about how the GA line would be handled....(times....bathrooms?....etc..) and the person emailed quickly back and said they'd have the policy up on the website when it becomes available. since then i've seen nothing and i've emailed back 3 times to different people and no one's emailed me back.
Wish they'd post something soon.....we are planning on arriving around 3 am.

-michael (nashville, TN)

unless you just want to be front and center on the rail, you don't need to line up early at all. i have said this before (maybe on this thread) but i walked in for Boston at 6:45 and was 10 ft from Adam. You don't need to camp out for these stadiums shows. The floor is huge, and you can get close by being there at 6-7pm.

38 and went to my first show at 16 (1987 - I felt like a baby then!)

I have a bike rack for my car, you put your bike on my car.

Thanks, I guess it depends upon where you are parking! :)

goat

Goat,
I plan on parking in the red deck because it is the cheapest deck. I will be at the Dome at 2pm and will be in line for GA. Do you have GA or seat tickets?

http://www.gadome.com/pdf/gwccmap.pdf

GA tickets. I thought you were joking! }:)~ Hmmm... that parking area seems to be right in the middle of things... probably a good spot!

I'll be taking my bike ride on Monday (weather permitting!), so I will be in ATL Monday evening. Haven't decided if I'm going to get a hotel that evening or not - might get one in Smyrna (10 miles away) and just bike over in the AM. Then again, I might just hang out on the Trail or nearby until 3am and then bike over to the Dome... dunno yet. At any rate, I wasn't planning on putting up my bike until an hour or two before the show - I figure it might come in handy running errands (food and drinks, etc.)

goat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom