2nd Philly Show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rival9500

The Fly
Will there be one? I am debating on getting tickets for philly 1 but If they play a 2nd date, I would rather do that.

Will there be one? I am debating on getting tickets for philly 1 but If they play a 2nd date, I would rather do that.

Many people hope there will be a second show, but there is no way to know until at least Friday when tickets go on sale to the public. If the show sells out or fills up very quickly on Friday, then there is a good chance of a second show.

At this point, my guess is no 2nd Philly show. GA prices on the secondary market are a pretty good indicator of demand. Philly GAs on stubhub are available for as little as $100.

At this point, my guess is no 2nd Philly show. GA prices on the secondary market are a pretty good indicator of demand. Philly GAs on stubhub are available for as little as $100.

The secondary market for a show that has not even gone on sale to the general public yet is a very poor indicator of demand. Again, how well tickets sell on Friday will be the determining factor of whether there is a second show or not.

On Vertigo, U2 easily soldout 4 arena shows in the Philadelphia market selling about 80,000 tickets. Lincoln Financial Field only holds 68,000, so I think the chances are good that there will be a second show, but again, it will depend on how sales go on Friday.

The secondary market for a show that has not even gone on sale to the general public yet is a very poor indicator of demand. Again, how well tickets sell on Friday will be the determining factor of whether there is a second show or not.

On Vertigo, U2 easily soldout 4 arena shows in the Philadelphia market selling about 80,000 tickets. Lincoln Financial Field only holds 68,000, so I think the chances are good that there will be a second show, but again, it will depend on how sales go on Friday.

I wouldn't say it's a very poor indicator - shows in greater demand have had higher presale GA prices. Of the 80k over 4 shows, many people saw them multiple times. Friday obviously will give a clearer picture, but at this point my guess is no 2nd show - especially with a lack of sellout in NJ (only 100 miles away).

I wouldn't say it's a very poor indicator - shows in greater demand have had higher presale GA prices.

What the general public buys from the boxoffice is the only indicator Live Nation is looking at. Resellers on some website for just GA tickets, when the show has not even gone on sell to the public means little. Most people in the general public don't buy from scalpers or resellers, especially when they have not had a chance yet to buy tickets through the boxoffice online.

Of the 80k over 4 shows, many people saw them multiple times.

1. True, but your only talking about a few thousand people at best who saw them multiple times in the Philadelphia market.

2. Philadelphia is only two hours from the New York City area. It is only 2 hours from Baltimore and 2.5 hours from Washington DC. There will be people from the Washington DC, Baltimore, and New York City markets going into the Philadelphia markets.

3. If they only play on show to 68,000 people in Philadelphia, they will be underplaying the Philadelphia market. This is a tour where they are trying to meet demand everywhere. Even on POPMART, the Philadelphia market sold 50,000 tickets. So it would be unusual to think they could only add 18,000 more to what they did on POPMART.

3. If they only play on show to 68,000 people in Philadelphia, they will be underplaying the Philadelphia market. This is a tour where they are trying to meet demand everywhere. Even on POPMART, the Philadelphia market sold 50,000 tickets. So it would be unusual to think they could only add 18,000 more to what they did on POPMART.

Even if the "true demand" is 100-120k people I think they would underplay and stick to one show, and it's also during the week. They're being more conservative in adding shows on this leg in general. Boston could easily host another show, and is not getting even one as of yet.

there will be a 2nd show in philly, u can count on that...

i just wonder if there will be a presale or if they will go onsale right after the 12th sells out... if i remember correctly, during the vertigo tour, the second show went on sale immediately after the first sold out...

Even if the "true demand" is 100-120k people I think they would underplay and stick to one show, and it's also during the week.

1. Take a look at the Oakland/San Francisco market. This market is the same size as Philadelphia. The Oakland/San Francisco market rapidly soldout its first show and its a near certainty that they are getting a second show. I believe the shows also happen during the week.

2. As long as they could sell at least 55,000 tickets for a second Philadelphia show, I'm sure they would will do it. Its more likely I think that a second Philadelphia show would also sellout, just as the 2nd Oakland/San Francisco show would likely sellout eventually.

Boston could easily host another show, and is not getting even one as of yet.

3. They appeared to have exhausted demand in the Boston market with the second show there. The second show was slow in selling tickets in Boston. Thats why a third show is probably unlikely.

4. Philadelphia unlike Boston has not had a show yet. A fresh market. It is also closer to other large metro area's(New York City, Baltimore, Washington DC) unlike Boston. It is right in the middle of these other big cities, while Boston is far north of the New York City area.

Oakland's not a good analogy. Smaller stadium and 370 mile drive to LA.

Actually its the perfect analogy. Lets take a look at some concert attendance history for both markets:

Unforgettable Fire Tour:
Oakland/San Francisco - 1 auditorium and 2 arena shows: 38,000 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 1 theater and 2 arena shows: 39,900 attendance combined

Joshua Tree Tour:
Oakland/San Francisco - 2 arena shows and 2 stadium shows: 128,000 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 1 stadium show and 1 arena show: 104,000 attendance combined

ZOO TV TOUR:
Oakland/San Francisco - 1 arena show and 1 stadium show: 78,300 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 1 arena show and 2 stadium shows: 107,000 attendance combined

POPMART TOUR:
Oakland/San Francisco - 2 stadium shows: 66,000 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 1 stadium show: 50,000 attendance

Elevation Tour:
Oakland/San Francisco - 4 arena shows: 71,000 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 3 arena shows: 58,000 attendance combined

Vertigo Tour:
Oakland/San Francisco - 4 arena shows: 72,480 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 4 arena shows: 78,578 attendance combined

So the tour history shows that these markets are very similar to each other.

Smaller stadium and 370 mile drive to LA.

Actually I think the stadium is the same size, 63,000 for Oakland stadium, 68,000 for Lincoln Financial Field. Plus LA being 370 miles from Oakland is a negative not a positve. Philadelphia can scoop up fans from the New York City area, Baltimore and Washington DC which are all roughly 120 milies from Philadelphia give or take a few dozen miles.

Actually I think the stadium is the same size. Plus LA being 370 miles from Oakland is a negative not a positve. Philadelphia can scoop up fans from the New York City area, Baltimore and Washington DC which are all roughly 120 milies from Philadelphia give or take a few dozen miles.

They didn't even sell about 25-30% of the seats in the Oakland stadium, and aren't planning to (upper decks in the back). Yes, Philly will get fans from nearby cities as nearby cities got Philly fans this year (yet not enough to fill up Fedex Field). And if NJ3 doesn't sell out, there's no point in adding another show only 90 minutes away down the Turnpike.

They didn't even sell about 25-30% of the seats in the Oakland stadium, and aren't planning to (upper decks in the back). .

The Police played Oakland stadium in 2007 to 48,000 people in a normal stadium configuration. I'm sure with U2's 360 setup, they will be able to add several thousand seats beyond that.

When looking at the two markets, I think Philadelphia is the stronger market. Lincoln Financial Field is a 68,000 seat stadium and U2 should be able to easily sellout the first show. I'm confident they could fill a second show to at least 80% capacity.

Yes, Philly will get fans from nearby cities as nearby cities got Philly fans this year (yet not enough to fill up Fedex Field).

Not enough to fill up Fedex Field? There were nearly 85,000 people at that show! How could you not call that show filled up? One of the largest shows in U2's concert history, despite the fact that Charlottesville, which is closer to Washington DC than Philadelphia, stripped Washington DC of many northern Virginia fans that would normally go to DC for their U2 show.

And if NJ3 doesn't sell out, there's no point in adding another show only 90 minutes away down the Turnpike.

NJ3 will eventually sellout because its the last show of the tour in North America. It won't matter what they do in Philadelphia, the last show in the largest city in the country, which has already sold 70% of its tickets in one day will sellout.

Also try looking south of Philadelphia instead of north. There are no shows south of Philadelphia until you get to Miami Florida!!!!!!!! The closest show for fans in South Carolina, North Carolina, all of Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania is the Philadelphia show.

Philadelphia can sellout a show on its own and then some.

By the way, just to show how impressive the Fedex Field attendance was this past September, take a look at the 20 largest attended non-festival ticketed shows in United States history below. Check out the show at #11!!!

Highest attended non-festival, ticketed shows in United States History!

1. U2 - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (Oct. 25, 2009)
Attendance: 97,014
Gross: $9,960,036

2. The Who - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA. (September 25, 1982)
Attendance: 91,451
Gross: $1,440,353

3., 4. Rolling Stones - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA. (September 25-26, 1981)
Attendance: 181,564 (average 90,782 per show)
Gross: $2,859,633

5. , 6. , 7. , 8. Rolling Stones - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, CA. (October 18-19; 21-22, 1989)
Attendance: - 360,068 (average 90,017 per show)

9. Rolling Stones - Superdome; New Orleans, LA. (December 5, 1981)
Attendance: 87,500
Gross: $1,531,250

10. U2 - John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia (Sept. 25, 1987)
Attendance: 86,145
Gross: $1,593,683

11. U2 - FedExField; Landover, Md. (Sept. 29, 2009)
Attendance: 84,754
Gross: $6,718,315

12. Journey - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (July 2, 1982)
Attendance: 83,214
Gross: $1,373,031

13. The Who - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, CA. (October 29, 1982)
Attendance: 83,000
Gross: $1,365,415

14., 15., 16., 17. Bruce Springsteen - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (Sept 27-30 & Oct 2, 1985)
Attendance: 331,892 (average 82,973 per show)
Gross: $5,688,445

18., 19. U2 - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ. (September 23-24, 2009)
Attendance: 161,810 (average 80,905 per show)
Gross: $16,128,950

20. Pink Floyd - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (September 19, 1987)
Attendance: 80,754

I certainly hope there's a second show... it looks like the break between Philly and NY is designed to fit one. But there was supposed to be a second Edmonton show, and it looks like that one is gone, so I won't get my hopes up.

Ironically enough my dad saw that Who concert at JFK Stadium in 1982. They played with Carlos Santana and The Clash. That show would have been :drool:

That said...I'd be ecstatic if they added another Philly show

Be careful or you could end up like some that thought there would be a Pasadena 2 show... and end up without tix to see them near you.

Agree- you can get one for Philly and if there's a show2 just swap with someone who wants show 1.
Don't pin your hopes on a potential rumored show 2 for Philly in case it doesn't happen. At least you'd have your tickets for the current show

My entire family was at JFK Stadium for the Joshua Tree Tour (Number 10) I was 1 years old and my grandmom was watching me and she heard the entire show from the house.

So that was 23 years ago, the last time they played Party Girl in Philly. Im making a sign: It's My 24th and I Want To "Party"

Yeah, but tickets haven't even gone on sale to the general public yet. People like to at least try their luck with the public onsale first. I would say EBAY is a better indicator since it is an auction format. If philly sells out quickly on Fri, Ebay will be hopping all weekend with bids on philly tix.

That said, I'm not sure if philly will get the 2nd show, I'm think NJ if anything bit who knows.

Not enough to fill up Fedex Field? There were nearly 85,000 people at that show! How could you not call that show filled up? One of the largest shows in U2's concert history, despite the fact that Charlottesville, which is closer to Washington DC than Philadelphia, stripped Washington DC of many northern Virginia fans that would normally go to DC for their U2 show.

Go to Fedex Field for a Redskins/Cowboys game - that is "filled up" (to capacity). The only sold out shows as of now in NA are baseball-capacity layouts. Simply selling out doesn't mean a second show. 2 stadiums equals 7 or 8 arenas, which I don't believe has been done in Philly before. And I just got Boots GAs for Philly - something I wasn't able to do for NJ.

Go to Fedex Field for a Redskins/Cowboys game - that is "filled up" (to capacity). The only sold out shows as of now in NA are baseball-capacity layouts. Simply selling out doesn't mean a second show. 2 stadiums equals 7 or 8 arenas, which I don't believe has been done in Philly before. And I just got Boots GAs for Philly - something I wasn't able to do for NJ.

I've been to FEDEX Field to see the Redskins and was at the U2 FEDEX show in September. If the fact that over 84,000 people does not tell you that the stadium was filled up, I can start posting youtube footage of the show and then you can explain why its not "filled up"? This was the 11th largest attended concert in United States history!!!!!!

1. A sellout the day of sale usually does mean a second show.

2. There was demand in Philadelphia for 6 arena shows on the Vertigo Tour.

3. Playing only one show in Philadelphia at this size stadium would grossly underplay the Philly market compared to past tours.

4. While playing two shows would be a bit of a reach, Philly is helped by the fact that there are no other shows along the east coast north of Florida with the exception of NJ3 which has already sold 70% to 80% of its tickets.

It all depends on Friday. Obviously if the show does not sellout or come close to it on Friday, then there will only be one show. I'd be very surprised though if the show does not sellout or come close to it on Friday.

a 2nd philly show would be nice though!

I know for a fact the band is holding Tuesday for a second show if the demand is there.

Unfortonatley... I think they are only going to play 1 :(

They have a history of wanting to play in front of full houses. 140,000 seats is a lot to sell when the new record didnt set the world on fire. Show 1 will sell out...just don't think they would sell out 2.

They have a history of wanting to play in front of full houses. 140,000 seats is a lot to sell when the new record didnt set the world on fire. Show 1 will sell out...just don't think they would sell out 2.

Didn't set the world on fire with the new record?

Let me remind just how well the NLOTH album has done this year:

Best Selling Albums Around The World In 2009 as of WEEK 45

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,907,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,492,500
3. Michael Jackson Thriller 3,235,000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 3,111,000
5. Michael Jackson Number Ones 3,036,000
6. Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2,946,000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,922,500
8. Eminem Relapse 2,815,500
9. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,646,500
10. Soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,644,000

Thats right, 2nd best selling album of the YEAR!

Also, they don't have to sellout a second show for there to be a second show. If they think they can sell at least 50,000 tickets for a show #2, I don't think they would pass that up.

Maybe some of these shows won't be put on sale until the promotion machine starts up for SOA. NJ4, Philly 2, Paris 4, Boston, Oakland 2, wherever else. Right now, U2 are absolutely milking it. They just finished a big stadium tour of North America, and they're trying to sell more shows in the same markets. All of this on the back of an album that was not a hit. (I know it sold a lot based on the U2 name, but it didn't have a hit single, did not crossover to the general public, and honestly a lot of people don't really like it). There is still significant demand to see U2, but it's not staggering like they're used to. Timing sales of more concerts with a new album will give general interest in U2 a big boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom