2nd Philly Show? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Tour Dates & Fan Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:59 AM
2nd Philly Show?

Will there be one? I am debating on getting tickets for philly 1 but If they play a 2nd date, I would rather do that.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival9500 View Post
Will there be one? I am debating on getting tickets for philly 1 but If they play a 2nd date, I would rather do that.
Many people hope there will be a second show, but there is no way to know until at least Friday when tickets go on sale to the public. If the show sells out or fills up very quickly on Friday, then there is a good chance of a second show.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
The Fly

It seems likely with the gap between philly and montreal.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 02:59 AM
I was saving that space for Columbus, OH
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

At this point, my guess is no 2nd Philly show. GA prices on the secondary market are a pretty good indicator of demand. Philly GAs on stubhub are available for as little as $100.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
At this point, my guess is no 2nd Philly show. GA prices on the secondary market are a pretty good indicator of demand. Philly GAs on stubhub are available for as little as $100.
The secondary market for a show that has not even gone on sale to the general public yet is a very poor indicator of demand. Again, how well tickets sell on Friday will be the determining factor of whether there is a second show or not.

On Vertigo, U2 easily soldout 4 arena shows in the Philadelphia market selling about 80,000 tickets. Lincoln Financial Field only holds 68,000, so I think the chances are good that there will be a second show, but again, it will depend on how sales go on Friday.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoilbheannacht View Post
The secondary market for a show that has not even gone on sale to the general public yet is a very poor indicator of demand. Again, how well tickets sell on Friday will be the determining factor of whether there is a second show or not.

On Vertigo, U2 easily soldout 4 arena shows in the Philadelphia market selling about 80,000 tickets. Lincoln Financial Field only holds 68,000, so I think the chances are good that there will be a second show, but again, it will depend on how sales go on Friday.
I wouldn't say it's a very poor indicator - shows in greater demand have had higher presale GA prices. Of the 80k over 4 shows, many people saw them multiple times. Friday obviously will give a clearer picture, but at this point my guess is no 2nd show - especially with a lack of sellout in NJ (only 100 miles away).
Old 11-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's a very poor indicator - shows in greater demand have had higher presale GA prices.
What the general public buys from the boxoffice is the only indicator Live Nation is looking at. Resellers on some website for just GA tickets, when the show has not even gone on sell to the public means little. Most people in the general public don't buy from scalpers or resellers, especially when they have not had a chance yet to buy tickets through the boxoffice online.

Quote:
Of the 80k over 4 shows, many people saw them multiple times.
1. True, but your only talking about a few thousand people at best who saw them multiple times in the Philadelphia market.

2. Philadelphia is only two hours from the New York City area. It is only 2 hours from Baltimore and 2.5 hours from Washington DC. There will be people from the Washington DC, Baltimore, and New York City markets going into the Philadelphia markets.

3. If they only play on show to 68,000 people in Philadelphia, they will be underplaying the Philadelphia market. This is a tour where they are trying to meet demand everywhere. Even on POPMART, the Philadelphia market sold 50,000 tickets. So it would be unusual to think they could only add 18,000 more to what they did on POPMART.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
3. If they only play on show to 68,000 people in Philadelphia, they will be underplaying the Philadelphia market. This is a tour where they are trying to meet demand everywhere. Even on POPMART, the Philadelphia market sold 50,000 tickets. So it would be unusual to think they could only add 18,000 more to what they did on POPMART.
Even if the "true demand" is 100-120k people I think they would underplay and stick to one show, and it's also during the week. They're being more conservative in adding shows on this leg in general. Boston could easily host another show, and is not getting even one as of yet.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
The Fly

there will be a 2nd show in philly, u can count on that...

i just wonder if there will be a presale or if they will go onsale right after the 12th sells out... if i remember correctly, during the vertigo tour, the second show went on sale immediately after the first sold out...
Old 11-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

There will probably be a presale.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Even if the "true demand" is 100-120k people I think they would underplay and stick to one show, and it's also during the week.

1. Take a look at the Oakland/San Francisco market. This market is the same size as Philadelphia. The Oakland/San Francisco market rapidly soldout its first show and its a near certainty that they are getting a second show. I believe the shows also happen during the week.

2. As long as they could sell at least 55,000 tickets for a second Philadelphia show, I'm sure they would will do it. Its more likely I think that a second Philadelphia show would also sellout, just as the 2nd Oakland/San Francisco show would likely sellout eventually.

Quote:
Boston could easily host another show, and is not getting even one as of yet.
3. They appeared to have exhausted demand in the Boston market with the second show there. The second show was slow in selling tickets in Boston. Thats why a third show is probably unlikely.

4. Philadelphia unlike Boston has not had a show yet. A fresh market. It is also closer to other large metro area's(New York City, Baltimore, Washington DC) unlike Boston. It is right in the middle of these other big cities, while Boston is far north of the New York City area.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Oakland's not a good analogy. Smaller stadium and 370 mile drive to LA.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Oakland's not a good analogy. Smaller stadium and 370 mile drive to LA.
Actually its the perfect analogy. Lets take a look at some concert attendance history for both markets:

Unforgettable Fire Tour:
Oakland/San Francisco - 1 auditorium and 2 arena shows: 38,000 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 1 theater and 2 arena shows: 39,900 attendance combined

Joshua Tree Tour:
Oakland/San Francisco - 2 arena shows and 2 stadium shows: 128,000 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 1 stadium show and 1 arena show: 104,000 attendance combined

ZOO TV TOUR:
Oakland/San Francisco - 1 arena show and 1 stadium show: 78,300 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 1 arena show and 2 stadium shows: 107,000 attendance combined

POPMART TOUR:
Oakland/San Francisco - 2 stadium shows: 66,000 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 1 stadium show: 50,000 attendance

Elevation Tour:
Oakland/San Francisco - 4 arena shows: 71,000 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 3 arena shows: 58,000 attendance combined

Vertigo Tour:
Oakland/San Francisco - 4 arena shows: 72,480 attendance combined
Philadelphia - 4 arena shows: 78,578 attendance combined

So the tour history shows that these markets are very similar to each other.

Quote:
Smaller stadium and 370 mile drive to LA.
Actually I think the stadium is the same size, 63,000 for Oakland stadium, 68,000 for Lincoln Financial Field. Plus LA being 370 miles from Oakland is a negative not a positve. Philadelphia can scoop up fans from the New York City area, Baltimore and Washington DC which are all roughly 120 milies from Philadelphia give or take a few dozen miles.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Actually I think the stadium is the same size. Plus LA being 370 miles from Oakland is a negative not a positve. Philadelphia can scoop up fans from the New York City area, Baltimore and Washington DC which are all roughly 120 milies from Philadelphia give or take a few dozen miles.
They didn't even sell about 25-30% of the seats in the Oakland stadium, and aren't planning to (upper decks in the back). Yes, Philly will get fans from nearby cities as nearby cities got Philly fans this year (yet not enough to fill up Fedex Field). And if NJ3 doesn't sell out, there's no point in adding another show only 90 minutes away down the Turnpike.