2nd Philly Show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If any show is gonna get a second show it's going to be NJ not Philly.. IMO

Agreed. I think they are just waiting for the Philadelphia sale to happen, since the markets are so very close and somewhat overlapping, before putting the 2nd NJ on, bet it will be next week...

Also, I've been hearing new Fenway rumors, if that actually does happen it will have to be after NJ, which means NJ would not be the last North American shows

NJ3 is still a ways away from a sellout. Someone had posted that stubhub has no tickets for over half the upper deck (contiguous sections). NJ4, if it happens, will need to wait a while.

All of this on the back of an album that was not a hit. (I know it sold a lot based on the U2 name, but it didn't have a hit single, did not crossover to the general public, and honestly a lot of people don't really like it).

Its the second biggest selling album of the year! The last time U2 had an album do that well was in 1987 with the Joshua Tree which got the #1 spot. Achtung Baby finished at #5 for the year worldwide.

Hit singles are irrelevant as long as the album has strong sales in the market, which NLOTH does. POP did better with its singles than ATYCLB or HTDAAB, but it sold less than half of what those albums did.

The point of hit singles is to increase album sales, but if you get increased album sales without the hit singles, then it does not matter really.

There is still significant demand to see U2, but it's not staggering like they're used to.

WHAT? This is the most successful tour that band has ever done in its career. 22 of the shows have set gross and attendance records in the venues they played. The tour is on course to become the highest grossing, highest attended tour in history. In terms of demand, this is a new high for the band.

Agreed. I think they are just waiting for the Philadelphia sale to happen, since the markets are so very close and somewhat overlapping, before putting the 2nd NJ on, bet it will be next week...

Also, I've been hearing new Fenway rumors, if that actually does happen it will have to be after NJ, which means NJ would not be the last North American shows

NJ4 would put the total attendance if it sold out for the New York area at over 320,000 people. Why would U2 attempt to play to over 320,000 people in New York City area, but only 68,000 in Philadelphia?

If either area is going to get a second show, its going to be Philadelphia.

1. Philadelphia has the smaller stadium making it easier to sellout.
2. Philadelphia did not have any shows in 2009, while the New York area already sold 161,000 tickets. The Philly market is 100% fresh, the New York market is 70% exhausted.
3. U2 have always played or attempted to play multiple shows in Philadelphia on every tour.

NJ4 would put the total attendance if it sold out for the New York area at over 320,000 people. Why would U2 attempt to play to over 320,000 people in New York City area, but only 68,000 in Philadelphia?

If either area is going to get a second show, its going to be Philadelphia.

1. Philadelphia has the smaller stadium making it easier to sellout.
2. Philadelphia did not have any shows in 2009, while the New York area already sold 161,000 tickets. The Philly market is 100% fresh, the New York market is 70% exhausted.
3. U2 have always played or attempted to play multiple shows in Philadelphia on every tour.

Heard from my Ravens rep that they are attempting to book M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.

If that is the case, it is unlikely Philly would get a 2nd show

Heard from my Ravens rep that they are attempting to book M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.

If that is the case, it is unlikely Philly would get a 2nd show

WOW, that would indeed end the chance for a second Philly show if that were to happen. They are probably just keeping their options open though. I think they would prefer two shows in Philly, but if they think they could sell more tickets in Baltimore than Philly 2, then they may do Baltimore.

Thing is, Baltimore is essentially the Washington DC market. Downtown Baltimore is only 40 miles from FedexField. The DC show last September played to 84,000 people, and Charlottesville which is closer to DC than Philly played to 52,000 people. So the DC market, which should include Baltimore might be too exhausted for a show.

Still, M&T stadium is smaller, about the same size as Lincoln Financial Field, which would boost the possibility of having a show there.

3 hours in, it doesn't look good for a 2nd show - plenty of club $250s and upper $95s.
thread can be locked,
there's also the entire $55 upper deck section behind the stage available

that said, a potential Baltimore 1 would sell better than a Philly 2 or New York 4 anyways

thread can be locked,
there's also the entire $55 upper deck section behind the stage available

that said, a potential Baltimore 1 would sell better than a Philly 2 or New York 4 anyways

Disappointing sales today in Philadelphia. Sales looked strong until you get to the upper deck. Still, Philly 1 is still stronger than NJ3 and Philly would get a show before NJ would. But, its very unlikely now. They needed to see sales like Oakland 1 or Anaheim 1.

It does not appear that anything was sold on the upper level behind the stage, and there may be some sections in front of the stage on the upper level that are still empty as well. It won't have any problem in selling out, but its obvious that there is not enough demand to justify a second show.

If they had decided to play Citizens Bank Park instead which holds about 45,000, there definitely would have been two Philadelphia shows.

Surprised at the low demand in philly. started out well with much of the lower level getting gobbled up pretty quick, then it stalled. seeing (good) lower level $95 tix going for less than face on ebay this afternoon!

All the people complaining Philly didn't get a show this past leg and now this... I am just glad all those people get to see a show anyways. I want a sold out, excited crowd

SMB

I still don't know when I'm buying my ticket for Philly1. I suppose me needing to stall isn't helping the Philly2 cause.

Im over joyed I dont have to drive 5 hours away and only have to go 5 minutes away.

God if they did the ball park I would wanna hear "World Phucking Champions"

Im over joyed I dont have to drive 5 hours away and only have to go 5 minutes away.

God if they did the ball park I would wanna hear "World Phucking Champions"

Here here. And it's during the summer, so I will be back home from college.

It does not appear that anything was sold on the upper level behind the stage, and there may be some sections in front of the stage on the upper level that are still empty as well. It won't have any problem in selling out, but its obvious that there is not enough demand to justify a second show.

When I was cheapie singles shopping late this afternoon I was pulling up Sec 219 seats, which is (pretty much) behind the stage - ultimately scored a $55 Club seat (also behind stage).

By the way, just to show how impressive the Fedex Field attendance was this past September, take a look at the 20 largest attended non-festival ticketed shows in United States history below. Check out the show at #11!!!

Highest attended non-festival, ticketed shows in United States History!

1. U2 - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (Oct. 25, 2009)
Attendance: 97,014
Gross: $9,960,036

2. The Who - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA. (September 25, 1982)
Attendance: 91,451
Gross: $1,440,353

3., 4. Rolling Stones - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA. (September 25-26, 1981)
Attendance: 181,564 (average 90,782 per show)
Gross: $2,859,633

5. , 6. , 7. , 8. Rolling Stones - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, CA. (October 18-19; 21-22, 1989)
Attendance: - 360,068 (average 90,017 per show)

9. Rolling Stones - Superdome; New Orleans, LA. (December 5, 1981)
Attendance: 87,500
Gross: $1,531,250

10. U2 - John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia (Sept. 25, 1987)
Attendance: 86,145
Gross: $1,593,683

11. U2 - FedExField; Landover, Md. (Sept. 29, 2009)
Attendance: 84,754
Gross: $6,718,315

12. Journey - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (July 2, 1982)
Attendance: 83,214
Gross: $1,373,031

13. The Who - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, CA. (October 29, 1982)
Attendance: 83,000
Gross: $1,365,415

14., 15., 16., 17. Bruce Springsteen - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (Sept 27-30 & Oct 2, 1985)
Attendance: 331,892 (average 82,973 per show)
Gross: $5,688,445

18., 19. U2 - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ. (September 23-24, 2009)
Attendance: 161,810 (average 80,905 per show)
Gross: $16,128,950

20. Pink Floyd - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (September 19, 1987)
Attendance: 80,754

Isn't Giants 2 in 11th or 12th place after Bono announce the attendance and went to press about breaking every single day record?

Did you ever get an verifiable attndance number for Phish only 99/00 several day long music event in Florida that was upwards of 80,000?

Didn't U2 cancel a 2nd Popmart Phili show after sales stalled at 7,000?

They did although its not ever been confirmed how many tickets they sold. The show was cancelled 10 days after going on sale. But POPMART was a very different time in terms of demand for U2 tickets compared to now.

Isn't Giants 2 in 11th or 12th place after Bono announce the attendance and went to press about breaking every single day record?

Did you ever get an verifiable attndance number for Phish only 99/00 several day long music event in Florida that was upwards of 80,000?

Well, for the list I just take the average over two nights for multiple show dates since that is what is printed in the boxscores and this is a list that goes strictly by boxscores results.

Whats the date for the Phish concert? I could see if there is a billboard magazine online that would have the boxscore. I think it would have been included in the Billboard list if it was a record since Billboard does have computerized records of shows all the way back to 1991. Again, if it was 80,000 people over two days, it obviously would not make the list. It would have to be a minimum of 146,000 people over two days in order to make the list.

Well, for the list I just take the average over two nights for multiple show dates since that is what is printed in the boxscores and this is a list that goes strictly by boxscores results.

Whats the date for the Phish concert? I could see if there is a billboard magazine online that would have the boxscore. I think it would have been included in the Billboard list if it was a record since Billboard does have computerized records of shows all the way back to 1991. Again, if it was 80,000 people over two days, it obviously would not make the list. It would have to be a minimum of 146,000 people over two days in order to make the list.

Phish festivals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big Cypress Dec 1999

Billboard January 22 2000:

December 30-31
75,000(each!!!!) attendance
$175/150 weekend passes
$11,639,550 gross

What this does mean is that PHISH hold the attendance record for the state of Florida.

Phish had a scheduled show for 100,000+ but heavy rains and closed roads put a cap on those plans.

Also, when you say "ticketed events" you technically have to include the Celine show in Quebec City 2008 for 100,000+. It was free, but mandatory tickets that some resold on ebay.

Billboard January 22 2000:

December 30-31
75,000(each!!!!) attendance
$175/150 weekend passes
$11,639,550 gross

What this does mean is that PHISH hold the attendance record for the state of Florida.

Phish had a scheduled show for 100,000+ but heavy rains and closed roads put a cap on those plans.

1. There is NO boxscore mentioned for a Phish concert in the Billboard January 22, 2000 Boxscore chart. Metallica did Headline a show at the Pontiac Silverdome to 54,000 people with Kid Rock, Sevendust and Ted Nugent opening the show.

2. Billboard combines attendance over several days. If it list 75,000, then that is the total over two days. So its not even close despite being a New Years Eve event.

Also, when you say "ticketed events" you technically have to include the Celine show in Quebec City 2008 for 100,000+. It was free, but mandatory tickets that some resold on ebay.

Nope, because when I say "ticketed events" it implies the payment of money for a ticket.

January 15th page 18.

Ok, here is the official Boxscore:

Phish
December 30-31, 1999
Big Cypress Swamp, Florida
Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation
GROSS: $11,639,550
ATTENDANCE: 75,000
SHOWS: 2
SELLOUTS: 2
Average Ticket Price: $155.19

Again, this is two shows, so its not even close in competing for top attendance despite the special occasion.

Phish
December 30-31, 1999

Again, this is two shows, so its not even close in competing for top attendance despite the special occasion.

It was a weekend event with a single act that had a single ticket. You couldn't pick days. 75,000 different people were there 2 days.

PT | Phish | Phish Ticket Stubs

Phish

Either billboard submitted info for the unquw event incorrectly or it can interpreted in confliting ways. What I can say is if you go to a Phish forum an insist only 38,000 ans were there each day you would get run out of town quickly.

It was a weekend event with a single act that had a single ticket. You couldn't pick days. 75,000 different people were there 2 days.

PT | Phish | Phish Ticket Stubs

Phish

Either billboard submitted info for the unquw event incorrectly or it can interpreted in confliting ways. What I can say is if you go to a Phish forum an insist only 38,000 ans were there each day you would get run out of town quickly.

1. Random people on a Phish forum who were there would not have any idea what the number was per day unless they somehow had access to the official boxoffice results.

2. Only people with access to the official boxoffice results can accurately comment.

3. It was reported to Billboard as TWO SOLDOUT SHOWS.

4. Even if it was the case they you couldn't pick days, the ticket is then for two concerts instead of just one which would automatically disqualify it with respect to the top attended concerts of all time. For those concerts, the TICKET was for ONE concert, NOT TWO.

Phish
December 30-31, 1999

There's a couple problems with the boxscore.

75,000 different people bought a single ticket to a single event with a single act. Not 37,500 x 2 days.

it was not 2 shows, it was 5 sets totalling 16 hours of live music:
Dec 30: 4:30 set and a pair of evening sets. Probably 2 hours each.
Dec 31: 4:30 set and a "midnight set". Midnight set was 11:30-sun up, and the bootleg of the final set needs 6 CDRs.

$155 includes camping and parking on the original ticket order form I have a double checked. Since when do Boxscores, that you say are independantly audited, include camping fees?

Is 75,000 the single act record for the state of Florida?
Would you accept the record if the ticket was perforated with a "day 1" and "day 2" element with the boxscore listed at "150,000"?

8 days into the Philly general sale, there are still plenty of tix left. The Red Zone auction finished at only $155 (probably the lowest for 2010).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom