2010 Leg Announcement on u2.com now - TOUR DATES - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Except they specifically said the Dublin and Tel Aviv rumours are unfounded, so it would be hard to back out of that type of definitive statement.

I'd love to see them try. Because it would mean there WOULD be a Dublin show I could go to. /selfish

And yes, it does say that all EUROPEAN dates are anounced, and only for 2010.

Which could mean possibly more US/ROTW dates. Or, and I'm really just grasping here, 2011 EU dates.

Well that was never really a U2 show anyway, it's a festival.

And they've said more things in the past that turned out to be false. So technically, even this could be false.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I'm just going to wait for things to be announced and not get too excited over the rumors.

I don't know what to believe anymore.
That was a pretty definitive statement on U2.com today.

And speaking of which, a big Thumbs Up to them for attempting to put a lof of fan's minds at ease regarding possible upcoming shows. It may not include any news on North America or the ROTW, and it may not be the news that European fans were hoping to hear, but it's clearly an attempt to help their fans out with planning and decisions.

Or, and I'm really just grasping here, 2011 EU dates.
Considering the way they phrased that, a 2011 tour really isn't out of the question. I'd love to see them release an album right at the end of 2010 (or beginning of 2011) and play another 40-50 dates next year.

-They built those three magnificent Claws, might as well continue to put them to use.

-Now that they're only playing 40-50 dates per year, touring no longer puts such a huge strain on their family and personal lives as it did in the past. Only playing 40 dates makes a tour much more convenient for them.

yes but if it's true they spread out their tour over a much longer period, that may have the conseuqence that we may have to wait even longer than the 4 years before they are back, since I guess they will not play every year 40-50 dates.

2009 Europe/US
2010 Europe/US
2011 South America/Australia?

the guy from expose said they were going to play dublin in the summer to end their 360 world tour. he did not specify which year. I'm hoping its early summer 2011 after they have played australia, south america and wherever else in the early part of 2011. hopin there are more usa dates or maybe the unclear mexico dates on may 30th is yet to be announced, and the "rest of the world" dates, if not this tour is not as exciting for me as it was in the beginning. live nation sucks.

the guy from expose said they were going to play dublin in the summer to end their 360 world tour. he did not specify which year. I'm hoping its early summer 2011 after they have played australia, south america and wherever else in the early part of 2011. hopin there are more usa dates or maybe the unclear mexico dates on may 30th is yet to be announced, and the "rest of the world" dates, if not this tour is not as exciting for me as it was in the beginning. live nation sucks.

Could be great, but hard to believe they are already planning dates for summer 2011...

Live nation sucks...well I wouldn't blame live nation if you think the tour is not exciting. It's U2 who has the deal with live nation.

I said if they do not end up playing australia and south america then this tour would not be as exciting because u2 is a world band not just a USA and Europe band. I loved the concert I went to it was amazing but i was fortunate it was an 8 hour drive from me. When i said live nation sucks i am talking about the fact that it's taking them so long to figure out when and if they are going to play the southern hemisphere, etc. it's not like this tour is cramped. so far 81 concerts in two years when on the vertigo tour it was something like 91 concerts in one year. you would think they have had the time to figure things out logisitically by now. u2 is about their fans, but arthur fogel does run their tour and he works for live nation, and it seems to me if itsnt about a HUGE profit, then to heck with the fans.

I said if they do not end up playing australia and south america then this tour would not be as exciting because u2 is a world band not just a USA and Europe band. I loved the concert I went to it was amazing but i was fortunate it was an 8 hour drive from me. When i said live nation sucks i am talking about the fact that it's taking them so long to figure out when and if they are going to play the southern hemisphere, etc. it's not like this tour is cramped. so far 81 concerts in two years when on the vertigo tour it was something like 91 concerts in one year. you would think they have had the time to figure things out logisitically by now. u2 is about their fans, but arthur fogel does run their tour and he works for live nation, and it seems to me if itsnt about a HUGE profit, then to heck with the fans.

I understand what you mean, but Arthur Fogel/LiveNation also did previous tours for U2. But I agree that it all looks very unprofessional, the way they are running the logistics..

But believe me, if it's about the fact they cannot make profit, then it's about U2 AND Live Nation that don't make a profit. ...U2 could have decided to tour with a stripped down production (like elevation) to reduce costs, but then still it's not a guarantee other parts of the world are served. Think about Australia during elevation...

And announcements, extra legs yes or no? are things that were always a bit messy on previous tours. Indeed that's annoying. Especialy for Australian fans who always have to guess and wait. For Vertigo they had to wait more than 7 months after U2 finished their South American leg. The whole buzz around the new album was gone and they got a more greatest hits show... During Elevation Europe did not get their extra leg, and also south America and Australia were unfortunate.

U2 has to justify the massive costs it takes to ship the Claw. Australia, I am guessing, is pretty much out of the question. South America, perhaps, two Claws for four or five shows. Maybe they are planning the Dublin show for 2011 this far out. It'll be a big special event to end the tour. I can't see them doing it this year cause they did three last year, not even selling out the final show

SMB

I can understand that, but PM said it costs on average $3 million per show (not per day) to run the tour when interviewed in that paper from Chile. We all know they will gross at least an average $5 million or more per concert whether it's South America or Australia. I think a $2 million dollar profit per show not including merchendise is enough justification to play the southern hemisphere. Just my opinion though.

this lady's friend who works at Rice-Eccles Stadium just said u2 has just finalized a show for Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City for early June. This person isn't a fan and probably doesn't follow the tour, so the time frame makes perfect sense. Also, Larry has said he wanted to finish the tour in Ireland, so maybe the Dublin rumor for summer 2011 will come true.

Does anyone know why nailing down an SLC date would take so long? Is the stadium near a residential neighborhood? I would assume there is plenty of demand for a show in Salt Lake City.

Don't know why its taken so long - what do you think - will it be June 10th or 14th?

Does anyone know why nailing down an SLC date would take so long? Is the stadium near a residential neighborhood? I would assume there is plenty of demand for a show in Salt Lake City.

I'm wondering the same thing. If they did play there, I can't go now anyway. All of my plans for siteseeing and hanging out with friends is pretty much finalized.

Don't know why its taken so long - what do you think - will it be June 10th or 14th?

The main U2 SLC radio station said today that they will have a "major announcement" on Tuesday morning, stay tuned...

Initial reports said the show will be on June 3rd, but the 10th might make more sense.

The main U2 SLC radio station said today that they will have a "major announcement" on Tuesday morning, stay tuned...

Initial reports said the show will be on June 3rd, but the 10th might make more sense.

I've got my fingers crossed for the 14th. We've booked accommodation in SLC for that night for as a stop on our road trip for the leg between Denver and Oakland.

I've got my fingers crossed for the 14th. We've booked accommodation in SLC for that night for as a stop on our road trip for the leg between Denver and Oakland.

The 14th would be good, but would possibly limit U2 to only doing one show in SLC. By scheduling the gig on the 3rd or 10th, it might give them more options to host a second concert if demand is there.

U2 really painted themselves into a corner with this stage/tour. It's questionable wether or not taking all this shit to Australia/South America and beyond would be profitable. If they didn't have such a rediculously big stage, they could do that, make a shitload more money. Yes, it is partly necessary for them to play 360, but I'm sure most people in AUS/SA/ASIA would settle for a scaled down, end-stage configuration if it would mean U2 could more easily afford to visit their country.

Also, since it takes so many days to move that stage around, they could be playing smaller arena shows on the in between days in smaller markets, thus making a little more money. I would think the 360 stage could very easily convert into arenas. Just hang the screen from the ceiling, eliminate all the walkways and bridges, eliminate the claw, and just stick the stage in the middle of the arena floor. I'd be fine with that, if it meant U2 could come to Ohio.

Frankly, I'm surprised Live Nation is doing all they can to milk as much money out of this tour as possible.

The 14th would be good, but would possibly limit U2 to only doing one show in SLC. By scheduling the gig on the 3rd or 10th, it might give them more options to host a second concert if demand is there.

Wasn't it established that Anaheim would be the first U.S. show this year? I can't remember now.

U2 really painted themselves into a corner with this stage/tour. It's questionable wether or not taking all this shit to Australia/South America and beyond would be profitable. If they didn't have such a rediculously big stage, they could do that, make a shitload more money. Yes, it is partly necessary for them to play 360, but I'm sure most people in AUS/SA/ASIA would settle for a scaled down, end-stage configuration if it would mean U2 could more easily afford to visit their country.

Also, since it takes so many days to move that stage around, they could be playing smaller arena shows on the in between days in smaller markets, thus making a little more money. I would think the 360 stage could very easily convert into arenas. Just hang the screen from the ceiling, eliminate all the walkways and bridges, eliminate the claw, and just stick the stage in the middle of the arena floor. I'd be fine with that, if it meant U2 could come to Ohio.

Frankly, I'm surprised Live Nation is doing all they can to milk as much money out of this tour as possible.

I think the CLAW is exactly how U2 wants to function right now--Epic, but lazy.

They wanted to play fewer dates than the Vertigo Tour. The 360 Tour seems to be turning "fewer dates" into art form, fucking minimalist.

It really seems that they are agonizing over the risk/reward aspect of this touring production. If they are going to set-up and play, they want to make some money, but they don't seem like they are going to stretch themselves or push it even a little bit. And really, that's fine with me, but I hope SA and ANZ get some shows.

I'm sure the band have been very aware of the risks of taking such a tour on the road. I don't believe for a second that they plan such an enormous thing years and years in advance without considering any eventuality. I'm pretty sure they will find a way to tour South America and Australia. And in the end when fans there see the stage and claw they'll be in awe. It doesn't make much sense complaining about something that we don't know anything about yet.

Which station was this? 101.9 The End, I'm assuming...

And to answer another question, Rice-Eccles stadium is on the edge of campus and is adjacent to a residential neighborhood.

I saw PopMart there back in 97 and it was great. The stadium has been renovated since then, so this show will (thinking positive) be even better! Or at least more comfortable. :)

Michael

And to answer another question, Rice-Eccles stadium is on the edge of campus and is adjacent to a residential neighborhood.

Michael

Thanks. The residential/campus neighborhood around TCF Bank Stadium is one of the reasons it took a while for the Minneapolis show to be announced.

guess the lack of leaks means this will be the only show announced. bummer

Yes, it is partly necessary for them to play 360, but I'm sure most people in AUS/SA/ASIA would settle for a scaled down, end-stage configuration if it would mean U2 could more easily afford to visit their country.

oh this, a thousand times over :up: . . . whilst it would be lovely to see the spectacle of the claw and the giant whizz bang screen, given the option, they could stand on a couple of milk crates at the local bingo hall for all I care . . . I just want to see / hear / enjoy them again :)

I'm sure the band have been very aware of the risks of taking such a tour on the road. I don't believe for a second that they plan such an enormous thing years and years in advance without considering any eventuality. I'm pretty sure they will find a way to tour South America and Australia. And in the end when fans there see the stage and claw they'll be in awe. It doesn't make much sense complaining about something that we don't know anything about yet.

true . . . but there is a wee small history of the asian market missing out on bits of tours . . . missed War Tour, Joshua Tree and Elevation legs . . .but like you said, we'll just wait and see . . . although the 'waiting' part is making me a little :coocoo: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom