2010 Leg Announcement on u2.com now - TOUR DATES - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ft.com interview with Paul McG mentions "I ask what he has planned before the tour starts again in May.". So the April dates posted may be bogus.

Does anyone think they will add anymore US dates?? 12 dates isn't a whole heck of a lot!!

The ft.com article says "In 44 sold-out dates since June, the band played to 3.2m people, for a gross of about $320m. Running the numbers aloud, McGuinness calculates that with a similar number of dates planned for next year, the tour should gross about $750m including merchandise sales"

With 35 dates announced so far for 2010, that doesn't leave a lot of dates to be announced (roughly 10 maybe?).

The ft.com article says "In 44 sold-out dates since June, the band played to 3.2m people, for a gross of about $320m. Running the numbers aloud, McGuinness calculates that with a similar number of dates planned for next year, the tour should gross about $750m including merchandise sales"

With 35 dates announced so far for 2010, that doesn't leave a lot of dates to be announced (roughly 10 maybe?).

jep. And since McGuinness of course included any possible South American and Australian dates, it is possible no more or very few new European/US dates will be announced...

Does anyone think they will add anymore US dates?? 12 dates isn't a whole heck of a lot!!

It isn't a lot in date terms - in fact I only count 11 in the US. Of these however at least 8 still have tickets available so just how much demand is there? Worth remembering that attendance at these stadium gigs is around 4-6 times an arena show such as on the Vertigo tour. They undoubtedly could rake in a few tens or even hundred million dollars by playing smaller regional venues in arenas but that would not fit with the current plans.

It isn't a lot in date terms - in fact I only count 11 in the US. Of these however at least 8 still have tickets available so just how much demand is there? Worth remembering that attendance at these stadium gigs is around 4-6 times an arena show such as on the Vertigo tour. They undoubtedly could rake in a few tens or even hundred million dollars by playing smaller regional venues in arenas but that would not fit with the current plans.

They could make a LiveNation a lot more money if they would play arena shows in certain US cities. This way, the Midwest/Mid South could get a chance in hell of seeing U2. It'd be easy... just set up the stage without the claw, and hang the screen and lights from the arena's ceiling.

Don't take the numbers from McGuinness to literally. He generally underestimates these things in the middle of a tour.

North America is going to get at least 2 shows in Mexico City. I think they will add a 2nd show in Oakland, a 2nd show in Minneapolis, and a show in Salt Lake City.

In Europe, I think they will add a second show in Paris, a show in Oslo, one in Switzerland, and one in Marsellies in the South of France.

So, thats 9 more shows in North America and Europe.

Then you have South America where they will possibly play 6 shows, Australia/New Zealand where they could do 9 shows.

Other possibilities are one show each in:

Japan
Israel
South Africa

So you could be looking at 27 more shows in 2010, not just 10.

Don't take the numbers from McGuinness to literally. He generally underestimates these things in the middle of a tour.

North America is going to get at least 2 shows in Mexico City. I think they will add a 2nd show in Oakland, a 2nd show in Minneapolis, and a show in Salt Lake City.

In Europe, I think they will add a second show in Paris, a show in Oslo, one in Switzerland, and one in Marsellies in the South of France.

Then you have South America where they will possibly play 6 shows, Australia/New Zealand where they could do 9 shows.

Japan
Israel
South Africa

Sounds good

Japan
Israel
South Africa

This is very optimistic, you know that right?

This is very optimistic, you know that right?

They are planning to do a total of 100 shows at least for 360. Doing 106 is only slightly more. They are out to gross as much as possible on this tour. Your looking at a minimum of at least 21 more shows in 2010 based on the fact that they originally planned to do at least 100 shows.

Doing 6 shows in South America, just one more than they did on Vertigo is a conservative estimate. So is Australia with 7 shows, and New Zealand with 2.

They are planning to do a total of 100 shows at least for 360. Doing 106 is only slightly more. They are out to gross as much as possible on this tour. Your looking at a minimum of at least 21 more shows in 2010 based on the fact that they originally planned to do at least 100 shows.

Doing 6 shows in South America, just one more than they did on Vertigo is a conservative estimate. So is Australia with 7 shows, and New Zealand with 2.

So, let's say the do 100+ shows, will they gross a Billion Dollars? Is that number within reach, and if so:

How much does the band get?

What does LiveNation get?

I don't read the "business of U2" threads much, but as I recall, the LiveNation types guarantee the band a certain amount of money no matter what, but I am guessing that U2 gets a cut, and maybe a different cut in percentage terms, at variouis revenue levels?

Doesn't it just sound sick that a tour could gross a Billion?

Wonder what the profit would be after costs -- claws are expensive I suppose!

I wish I could remember the article, but it came out sometime before the 360 tour kicked off and it said the tour would consists of up to 120 shows. I can see up to around 105, but who knows what they have up their sleeves, Africa, Asia, etc could push them towards the 120 mark if that's what they are planning. Personally I think they will play 8-9 shows in SA and 8-9 shows in Australia, plus 2 in Japan. With this we are looking at least 105 concerts after they add Mexico City, a few more in Europe, and possible 2 more in America.

So, let's say the do 100+ shows, will they gross a Billion Dollars? Is that number within reach, and if so:

How much does the band get?

What does LiveNation get?

I don't read the "business of U2" threads much, but as I recall, the LiveNation types guarantee the band a certain amount of money no matter what, but I am guessing that U2 gets a cut, and maybe a different cut in percentage terms, at variouis revenue levels?

Doesn't it just sound sick that a tour could gross a Billion?

Wonder what the profit would be after costs -- claws are expensive I suppose!

$710 million is likely what the tour will gross just from the sell of tickets. Merchandise might push it to $800 million. So they are very close to grossing a Billion dollars with the No Line On The Horizon album and 360 tour.

I wish I could bet with you. The following gigs you mention are totally out of the question imo:

Paris II
Marseilles
Oslo
Salt Lake City

I'll be happy if they proved me wrong though. I think a total tally of about 95 dates is realistic.

I wish I could bet with you. The following gigs you mention are totally out of the question imo:

Paris II
Marseilles
Oslo
Salt Lake City

I'll be happy if they proved me wrong though. I think a total tally of about 95 dates is realistic.

Well, then that would likely mean your going to have them playing less shows in South America and Australia than they did on the Vertigo Tour.

I think up to 110 is possible, but at a bare minimum they have already mentioned they plan to do 100. This is not a tour where they are holding anything back. If the demand is there for a show, they will do it.

news of south american shows!

news of south american shows!

in accordance with the fan club "u2chile.net", that have contacts with the Universal, U2 to announce the dates in Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Mexico, lacks only the constructor who is remodelling the "estádio nacional do Chile", to give a OK of when the reforms they will be concluded.

According to site of the constructor, the workmanships of modernization of the stadium are foreseen to finish day 3 of March. It only lacks this to define if shows will be in April or May.

here in Brazil, the press is all hour speaking of the coming of the band in April!

The main radios and periodicals are giving as certain.

It is good for remembering that shows in Latin America,the U2 normally announces on of the hour.

Paris II
Marseilles
Oslo
Salt Lake City

Regardless of the other 3 dates, i agree. If Paris II was gonna happen why would it not be announced already?

another interesting information about south america, is that from the half of the year, some Brazilian stadiums closes! they close for reforms to "world cup 2014".

Maracanã, in rio de janeiro, for example, closes in September, what it becomes impossible the show in the end of 2010, as was speculated previously.

THAT's interesting, but kinda impossible... how can they close stadiums 4 years before the world cup?

they have other championships too... Campeonato Paulista, Brasileirao... it's stupid to close the stadiums 4 years in advance.

This guy in the u2.com forum said he was upset because he used his presale codes for Denver and now he found out u2 will be playing in his home town at the Rice-Eccles stadium in Salt Lake City which should take place between Denver and Anaheim. Take this with a grain of salt of course.

THAT's interesting, but kinda impossible... how can they close stadiums 4 years before the world cup?

they have other championships too... Campeonato Paulista, Brasileirao... it's stupid to close the stadiums 4 years in advance.

it exists diverse other stadiums in São Paulo, Rio De Janeiro, Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte…and the championships will be disputed in these other stadiums...only the 2 stadiums that could receive 360 º tour, are maracanã, in Rio de Janeiro, and morumbi, in São Paulo

maracanã is a municipal stadium and will close, yes, from September, for reforms having aimed at the "world cup 2014"

morumbi will not go to close, but it goes to start to pass for modernizations, that with certainty would confuse the installation of stage in the stadium… would also harm the crowd

therefore I bet: or the U2 comes in 1º semester for Brazil… or it does not come in 2010… therefore will not have ideal places for shows

it exists diverse other stadiums in São Paulo, Rio De Janeiro, Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte…and the championships will be disputed in these other stadiums...only the 2 stadiums that could receive 360 º tour, are maracanã, in Rio de Janeiro, and morumbi, in São Paulo

maracanã is a municipal stadium and will close, yes, from September, for reforms having aimed at the "world cup 2014"

morumbi will not go to close, but it goes to start to pass for modernizations, that with certainty would confuse the installation of stage in the stadium… would also harm the crowd

therefore I bet: or the U2 comes in 1º semester for Brazil… or it does not come in 2010… therefore will not have ideal places for shows

but WHY now?, WHY this early?, it's just 2010... are they demolishing and building up Maracana again?

but WHY now?, WHY this early?, it's just 2010... are they demolishing and building up Maracana again?

so early? its not early! in the end of 2012, fifa goes to make inspection to know as they are the stadiums!

it is everything inside of the programming… and maracanã does not go to be demolished… goes to be remodelled… but they will be great reworks, that go to generate the closing of the stadium…

as I am on vacation, without very what to make, I walked making some projections for tour in 2010, local that the band will pass and etc:

Paul Mcguiness had said that they would be around 95 shows in tour 360º… during about 18 months (half of 2009 + the entire year of 2010)

45 shows had been in 2009

they would lack 50 shows in 2010:

marked Europe/North America already, 35 shows… would still remain 15 for 2010:

Latin America:
2 in the city of Mexico
2 in São Paulo
1 in Rio De Janeiro
2 in Buenos Aires
1 in Santiago

Asia/Oceania:
2 in Japan
3 in Australia
2 in the new zealand

that is, those dates in Egypt, Thailand, Indonesia, and the ray breaks that it is all fictitious… fruits of the imagination of that it invented that,

April/May = Latin America, June/July = USA/canada, August/September/beginning of October = Europe, end of October/November = asia/oceania

december: happy christmas and new year :p

Paul Mcguiness had said that they would be around 95 shows in tour 360º… during about 18 months (half of 2009 + the entire year of 2010)

Do you have a link mentioning 95 shows? The tour should resume in May, as the ft.com interview indicated. I think that's the closest to official source I've seen about the resumption month.

If there is going to be a Salt Lake City show, I wish they would announce it soon. I booked my flight from Orange County to Denver already. I can easily cancel the reservation because I work for the airline, so it is not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom