2010 Leg Announcement on u2.com now - TOUR DATES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has noting to do with capacity. The problem is that most stadiums are occupied for soccer matches!

I wasn't just making it up - read here in the Swiss press (from back in March)- Schweizer Stadien zu klein für U2: Good News kapituliert - News Kultur: Pop & Jazz - bazonline.ch translated by Google as...

Swiss stadiums too small for U2: Good News surrenders
By Mauro Guarise. Updated on 10.03.2009

The rock band U2 will not occur in Switzerland. Our stadiums are too small, can know their management. There is hope yet.

At the beginning of the week the tour schedule for the rock group U2 was known. The Irishman still count on the biggest acts in the music industry, which is reflected in the concert venues. U2 in Milan plays the Giuseppe Meazza stadium, which seats over 80,000 spectators. No more than 100,000 viewers to fit into the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona. And what else is still on the tour schedule? Swiss concerts are not scheduled.

No large concerts without major stages

André Béchir, longtime head of the Swiss concert organizer Good News, you'll know why. "The U2 management told us that our stadiums are too small. You want places with a capacity of 60 to 70,000 spectators. " According Béchir not unique. As a Swiss organizer in an internationally competitive market, he gets to hear one again and again: "If the situation does not change it, you'll get no concerts."

Béchir has for years out of negligence in the Swiss stadium debate. "Unlike other countries will not talk to each other in Switzerland. In the case Letzigrund politics wanted to push through the European Championship, but had no ear for other uses of the stadium. "According to Béchir the football operation alone is not the Letzigrund costs. With a bigger stadium we would have time to even get a great final game. "That is the Champions League, also in the field of culture, in the distance.

Or do you? Letzigrund negotiating with organizers

This is precisely the Zurich Letzigrund not that far below the demands of U2. 50,000 spectators fit into the stadium, that is just not enough. And in fact is the stadium manager Peter Landolt already in contact with several potential operators. "Because of the stage architecture, we are the only ones which could come U2. U2 would be for us "a great concert opener," says Landolt and alludes to the fact that so far no concerts took place in the Letzigrund. The Stadium Manager sounds optimistic and believes that one should get an award in March.

So there is hope for Swiss U2 fans. And who would organize the Zurich concert? Landolt keeps covered in this regard. Clearly, however, seems not that Good News is the winner. It's quite possible that there will be a foreign broadcasters. Be placed on the prospect, in Switzerland by foreign rivals sidelined says André Béchir: "We U2 have previously held a few times. Today the band plays only a role of money. "It should then feel the Swiss concert-goers. "We reach for the admission price a pain threshold. If they want to answer the other organizers, I must accept the "so Béchir. (bazonline.ch / News Network)

With the apparent demise of the Budapest show i've been looking at stadiums in the (sort of) area that may be suitable

Stadionul Lia Manoilu, Bucharest capacity 60 120, appears to be currently being refurbished

Stadion Crvena Zvezda, Belgrade 51 328, has been used for concerts but only sparingly. Partizan Belgrade play here

Stadion NSK Olimpiyskiy, Kiev 83 160, only used by Dinamo Kiev for high profile games. Maybe currently under refurbishment for 2012 Euros

Asim Ferhatovic Hase Stadion, Sarajevo 37 500, has been mentioned that a return is on the cards. The 'small' capacity may not be an issue for 'old times sake'.FK Sarajevo's home ground though

Vassil Levski Stadion, Sofia 43 384 Interestingly appears to have no resident footie team and Madonna played here just a few weeks ago

Sofia appears to fit all the criteria and has a LN connection. Though it wouldn't surprise me to see a gig somehow being arranged in Sarajevo

Stadion Crvena Zvezda, Belgrade 51 328, has been used for concerts but only sparingly. Partizan Belgrade play here

Actually, Partizan isn't playing there, that'd be Crvena Zvezda from Belgrade. But, that really isn't important.

I'm really glad seeing that someone is, at least, mentioning Belgrade.

Name of that stadion is Marakana, and it looks really good, I think it'd be perfect for U2 concert. Only problem is the thing you already wrote. Not many concerts were played there. There were few big concerts with Marakana full of people, but those artists were from Serbia. I don't thing that anybody who isn't from Serbia performed there ever. And U2 would be perfect, as first.

I'm sorry, I probably missed something, but can somebody tell me shortly why Budapest can't happen'?

And also, does anybody maybe know when U2 will add more dates?

Actually, Partizan isn't playing there, that'd be Crvena Zvezda from Belgrade. But, that really isn't important.

I'm sorry, I probably missed something, but can somebody tell me shortly why Budapest can't happen'?

And also, does anybody maybe know when U2 will add more dates?

Apologies for the wrong team! I believe Crvena Zvezda = Red Star Belgrade?

Apparently there is a dispute between Live Nation and the owners of the Ferenc Puskas/Nep Stadium and LN are not happy to take the show there:shrug:

More dates? Who knows:lol:

wow, what's going with Budapest? I remember reading that the Nepstadion also had problems with Madonna's concert earlier this summer. Theyre passing up a big $$$ opportunity here!

Apologies for the wrong team! I believe Crvena Zvezda = Red Star Belgrade?

Apparently there is a dispute between Live Nation and the owners of the Ferenc Puskas/Nep Stadium and LN are not happy to take the show there:shrug:

More dates? Who knows:lol:

Yes, Red Star. Partizan have another stadium, which could be good for concert also and it's in Belgrade, but it is with capacity of 32,887 sitting places. So, it is smaller then Marakana. I thing that only problem with U2 in Serbia can be that some of people won't let Marakana for concerts.

Ow, thanks for explanation about Budapest. That's really sad and wrong. I think it'd be great place to have concerts. I know some other artists did have concerts on Nep Stadium, but they probably weren't in connection with LN.

Hey! Did not read that article. Seems you are right on that! But still Zurich Letzigrund is also occupied for soccer matches, isn't it?

So U2 only wants big stadiums in a time where the European competitions are running...?
Also weird that they make an exception for Horsens (for sure smaller than 50,000) and Nice (under 60,000)

I wasn't just making it up - read here in the Swiss press (from back in March)- Schweizer Stadien zu klein für U2: Good News kapituliert - News Kultur: Pop & Jazz - bazonline.ch translated by Google as...

Swiss stadiums too small for U2: Good News surrenders
By Mauro Guarise. Updated on 10.03.2009

The rock band U2 will not occur in Switzerland. Our stadiums are too small, can know their management. There is hope yet.

At the beginning of the week the tour schedule for the rock group U2 was known. The Irishman still count on the biggest acts in the music industry, which is reflected in the concert venues. U2 in Milan plays the Giuseppe Meazza stadium, which seats over 80,000 spectators. No more than 100,000 viewers to fit into the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona. And what else is still on the tour schedule? Swiss concerts are not scheduled.

No large concerts without major stages

André Béchir, longtime head of the Swiss concert organizer Good News, you'll know why. "The U2 management told us that our stadiums are too small. You want places with a capacity of 60 to 70,000 spectators. " According Béchir not unique. As a Swiss organizer in an internationally competitive market, he gets to hear one again and again: "If the situation does not change it, you'll get no concerts."

Béchir has for years out of negligence in the Swiss stadium debate. "Unlike other countries will not talk to each other in Switzerland. In the case Letzigrund politics wanted to push through the European Championship, but had no ear for other uses of the stadium. "According to Béchir the football operation alone is not the Letzigrund costs. With a bigger stadium we would have time to even get a great final game. "That is the Champions League, also in the field of culture, in the distance.

Or do you? Letzigrund negotiating with organizers

This is precisely the Zurich Letzigrund not that far below the demands of U2. 50,000 spectators fit into the stadium, that is just not enough. And in fact is the stadium manager Peter Landolt already in contact with several potential operators. "Because of the stage architecture, we are the only ones which could come U2. U2 would be for us "a great concert opener," says Landolt and alludes to the fact that so far no concerts took place in the Letzigrund. The Stadium Manager sounds optimistic and believes that one should get an award in March.

So there is hope for Swiss U2 fans. And who would organize the Zurich concert? Landolt keeps covered in this regard. Clearly, however, seems not that Good News is the winner. It's quite possible that there will be a foreign broadcasters. Be placed on the prospect, in Switzerland by foreign rivals sidelined says André Béchir: "We U2 have previously held a few times. Today the band plays only a role of money. "It should then feel the Swiss concert-goers. "We reach for the admission price a pain threshold. If they want to answer the other organizers, I must accept the "so Béchir. (bazonline.ch / News Network)

so ax, any more rumours re November for AU... planning honeymoon (getting married Oct 3!)

Sorry, I've nothing new at the moment. Wish I knew more precise details ... I'll post them if I learn anything new, but don't hold your breath just yet.

hi, just wondering if any more dates have been released. i'm guessing if they were, no one really talked about it, so that's why i'm asking.

thanks!

hi, just wondering if any more dates have been released. i'm guessing if they were, no one really talked about it, so that's why i'm asking.

thanks!

no, they haven't, im guessing theyr'e gonna wait until next week to release more european dates, as this weekend is the first on sale date for a few of the european dates, and for NA 2010, they will probably wait till the end of this leg.

Indeed, De standaard (a very reliable source) stated they could have a view in the latest Tour schedule and saw that Brussels is planned for September 22. I wonder what other shows they saw....

grrrr i need a weekend date, or one in netherlands, otherwise I am not going to make it for 2010...

..I need weekend dates in September 2010 too... Brussels would be cool, but not on a Wednesday night....
...still hope for a Dutch show on the Friday or Saturday night following Brussels, though....
..It could be done in between two home matches of one of the football clubs...

..going to Hannover anyway (it's in my summer holidays)

I think the big stadium as Kiev, Minsk, Belgrado, Sofia, Bucarest and big area as Tallinn (Songs Festival Grounds), Vilnius (Vingis Park) Budva (Jazz Festival), can not be skipped!

Indeed, De standaard (a very reliable source) stated they could have a view in the latest Tour schedule and saw that Brussels is planned for September 22. I wonder what other shows they saw....

grrrr i need a weekend date, or one in netherlands, otherwise I am not going to make it for 2010...

Grmbl. Why so late??? That's really not useful for me. Anything in July/August is perfect for me but Uni starts again in september.

I can't afford to miss too many days. :sigh:

Damn you, U2.com, for not having the dates for the tour supporting the album after SOA up yet!!

nobody should be complaining about the us dates taking their time...it just means everything will go on sale way too fucking early like europe, and the longer the wait the less way too fucking early the tickets will go on sale.

What are the odds of a gig on July 11, 2010 at, say, Johannesburg, South Africa?

What are the odds of a gig on July 11, 2010 at, say, Johannesburg, South Africa?

Not very good, I'm afraid. They will be in the US at that time. There is a distinct possibility they will swing through South Africa between South America and Australia. I really hope they do. South Africa is at a huge disadvantage, being surrounded by thousands of miles of ocean on 3 sides, and an underdeveloped continent to the north. It costs a lot of money to get stuff there.

Next time, U2 really do need to scale down their stage set, and stop worrying about having a tour that breaks every possible record. That way, they could more easily play places like South Africa. I'd gladly sacrifice some US shows so that fans in other places would get shows. As long as I get to see 1 show on a tour, I'll live.

I'd like to be able to go see my one show before I have to worry about buying tickets to another. :crack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom