Toronto show 9/16/09- Not allowed to stand and dance!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do you need to be in the venue then? You can listen quite easily in the pub down the road...

With the open-air venues -- yeah! No need to actually be in them at all. Plus if you didn't have to pay for a ticket you can afford to drink!

Bathroom breaks would be a hell of a lot easier too!

:)

My whole family was at the 1st show, in the seats, although we didn't use them we were dancing, and singing and screaming with no problems (probably because all around us were as well)

The show last night was awesome- Bono has never sounded better.
However, I was wondering if this happened to anyone else- we were told to sit down by security or we were going to be removed from the Rogers Centre bc people in our section complained that we were standing and dancing.
I have NEVER been to a concert before where this happened!
Thank God tonight I'm on the floor!
We didnt sit down- just moved to a different section but im still so mad at the way I was treated. If i had been smoking pot, i guess that would have been fine!
See you there tonight :)

What section were you in? I was in section 114 and I stood the whole time, occasionally I turned around and most of the people behind me seemed to be standing the whole time too, but a lot of the people in front of me kept sitting down. I didn't see any security people at all. However, I spent the whole concert envying the people in GA, since pretty much nobody around me was singing along most of the time and it's far less fun to be singing by oneself!

This exact thing happened to me! The dude behind me actually called security on me for STANDING AND DANCING! It was just unreal. My entire section was pretty dead from concert opening to close.

Thursday night was pretty sweet, though...MUCH more relaxed and fun. That night there was even a dude smoking IN FRONT OF a security guard! And he didn't get in any trouble!

And it's not that his smoking bothered me in the least...just the fact that he got away with smoking, and I got in trouble for fucking standing! Very disappointed at the staff and fans at Rogers Center that night.

I thought Canadian crowds were supposed to be wild? Or does that just apply to Montreal?

On that note, I think the reason I was so shocked and disappointed at being told to sit still, is because I had just recently seen Pearl Jam at the Molson Amphitheater.

Never in my life have I been to a more wild, raucous, insane, and just plain FUN concert in my life. The crowd at PJ was completely nuts - but in the best way possible. At times we actually surprised the band by how into it we were. So, no, I don't think it's necessarily a Toronto thing...I think unfortunately at your average U2 show in such a big venue, like 25% of the attendees are die hard U2 fans. The rest just want to see Vertigo and Beautiful Day and sit quietly.

Sad.

Last night was awesome- I was in GA in the inner circle right in front of Edge. This redeemed by first night experience in 510.
But, it was still a much more subdued GA crowd than normal!!!!
My feeling: dont go to a U2 show if you are going to act like an old fart!

OMG how can anyone sit at a U2 show? I can't believe security actually told you to sit down. That's insane :angry:
My section was really rowdy. I was surrounded by all the dancing people and we all knew the lyrics to every song and we were all singing and dancing at the top of our lungs. At least you had a floor seat for the second show so you didn't have to sit.

Something similar happened to me when I saw REM. Normally I remain standing throughout the entire concert, singing along and generally rocking out, no matter how far I am from the stage. At this REM show, maybe halfway through this person behind me asked me to sit down. I made an expression like WTF???? Sat down for some time and then again got up at some point and remained standing for the rest of the show.

When they sell tickets, a disclaimer should be included: This event is a rock show. So there will be people standing around you even if you are seated. If you are going to be a fuddy duddy about this, next time buy tickets to the opera instead. :angry:

No standing or dancing allowed? WTF?! Actually .... ooops. yeah it did happen to us. But it wasn't security that complained but the asshole standing next to my friend. :angry:

When I go to shows I adopt this creed:

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
this ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey
I ain't got time for that now

Dancing = Annoying. Sit down.

When I go to shows I adopt this creed:

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
this ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey
I ain't got time for that now

Dancing = Annoying. Sit down.