To Be or Not To Be Geneorus... At the End of a Show - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Would you give up your spot by the rail for anyone?
No! This spot is mine and asking me to move at any time is rude! 21 26.25%
Yes, but only if the person is height challenged (or really hot). 15 18.75%
Yes, but only at the end of the show. 1 1.25%
No, but I may make exceptions depending on the situation. 42 52.50%
Yes - I'm just a generous person and silly that way! 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:39 AM
To Be or Not To Be Geneorus... At the End of a Show

The unusual title of this thread comes from this very real example I experienced Sunday night in Chicago.

I was in the Red Zone. A flirtatious, but height-challenged, young lady was next to me. She flirted with all the men hoping to get a piggy back ride (succeeding in getting one for one song). Her high-heeled shoes were killing her and as we were all standing, it was a bit tough for her to see without them. Fortunately, she was close and there was the huge screen. Plus, all four band members walked right by us (several times for some of them), so it's not as if her view was obstructed all night.

Still, by the end of the night, with only two songs remaining, she wanted to be by the rail. We were already close, so she just inched up a bit more and kindly asked two people if she could squeeze in or stand by the rail for a song. This couple (or apparent man and woman couple) flat out stated "no" and wouldn't let her in, even for a moment.

The poor girl came back crying. She said she asked nicely and they refused.

This got me wondering. First, when one asks a favor of anyone - stranger or friend - that person has a right to say "no". Just because we ask it doesn't mean we will get our way (otherwise, we'd all be asking our bosses for raises every day!). Second, asking someone to give up their spot is like asking someone to give up their seat. It's almost like saying, "Hey, you've had that nice seat long enough - now move and let me enjoy it." In other words, while she felt they were rude to say "no", it could be that she was the rude one.

That said, the flip side is that this is Red Zone. There was no "waiting outside all day" nonsense. Given the spirit of that section, one would think moving aside for a few moments wouldn't be that bad. Additionally, it was the end of the night, so at worst, they would be a tiny bit back for a song. And they'd really make the night for someone else by being so generous.

I'm torn on this issue. At Vertigo I didn't even have a spot by the rail, yet was asked to move by height-challenged people all night. For that spot, I did wait outside all day, so it's too bad they didn't. I was offended. But I was asked to move at the beginning of the show, not at the end.

So what would you do? Any comments? I posted a poll and am curious.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:39 AM
I know what I'd do for part of that equation: not wear high heels to a rock concert. I couldn't believe how many women I saw wearing ridiculous shoes. On the walk back to the Loop on Saturday, one was carrying her heels and walking barefoot. No thank you.

I would probably let someone in front of me for a few songs at the end of a show, unless they'd been obnoxious or rude leading up to it.

At the first Seattle Vertigo show, I was about 3 heads back from the outer rail and made friends with a really nice guy who was in front of me. For the encore, he switched places with me (an unprompted, unrequested gesture). I suppose I should pay that forward at some point in my GA life.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:39 PM
There was a short girl behind me when we was watching the crew prepare the stage for U2. We was near the front so we had a good view anyway.

I moved a bit to the right and let her stand next to me so she could see a bit more
Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Fan & Taper

With 2 songs left? Sure...

I have told short bitches off though that pushed their way upfront moments before a show, when I had been on a rail for close to 2 hours already.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM
I said "no, but...". Generally, no, b/c generally being on the rail involved me being in line for a minimum of 14 hours. I gave up my rail spot to Phil, but he is my husband so personal space rules don't necessarily apply. There was more room if I stood in front of him rather than us all being on the rail, and when the band came around we pivoted so I was on the rail again. I might let a kid stand in front of me, or someone with some injury or condition beyond their control (like, not wearing heels or not lining up).

Likewise I would not expect anyone else to move for me.

Last tour in St. Louis I offered a kid $40 to give me his spot on the rail and he declined. Fair enough, can't hurt to ask
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Refugee

I am at the short end of the spectrum but I always wait in line all day if I want to see, it's only fair and I would never ask someone to give me a spot up front. The only thing that really irks me is that when someone who clearly wasn't out there all day and is 6 feet tall plants themselves right in front of me without a care in the world. The "lovely" lady got elbowed in the back many times, so I guess it was worth it.

If it was a little kid who was shorter than me, I'm sure I'd let them squeeze through for a song but really, everyone can see over my head so probably not.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Nein.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Babyface

Local Time: 12:39 PM
I wouldn't give up my space. I'm just under 5'2 and I accept what I get. I've spent hours queuing for gigs to get a good spot because I know I won't be able to be close to the front and see anything if I don't. So it's that or stand back and take the show in from there. I accept that just because i'm short doesn't make me any more entitled to be at the front than anyone else.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:39 AM
I opted for no, but. The exceptions are fairly wide, seeing as I most likely will still be able to see just fine behind them. The no only comes in if they're being pushy/bitchy about it.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

One time a girl wearing very little clothing came up to me and said, "you have to let me in front. Bono will pull me up on stage because he's a blonde hair big boob guy."

I'll let you guess whether or not I let her in front of me.

I voted no, but I'll make exceptions as I am 6'4" in shoes.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Since Im so short I have to say no. Though the 1st time I did GA a guy let me in front of him. He saw me move to the right to look past him. Asked if I would like to move in front of him and I declined. Surprisingly he insisted that I take him up on his offer. Said he was taller and that it was clear that I couldn't see over him. Moved me from 3rd row to the 2nd row and the view was much better! But I would never ask anyone to move that's just rude. Would make an exception for a child if I don't feel anyone is being pushy or bitchy about it.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Philk? View Post

I'll let you guess whether or not I let her in front of me.
I believe he said, "Bono likes brunettes and he's not a boob man." Bitch didn't know how to respond and moved on to the next guy on the rail.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I believe he said, "Bono likes brunettes and he's not a boob man." Bitch didn't know how to respond and moved on to the next guy on the rail.
Awesome.

I love it anytime "the pretty people" get cut down a peg.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:39 AM
Interesting responses! Love the "blond with boobs" comments.

I tried to cheer her up, but she was really distraught. But even I wondered if I would let her in. She claimed she asked nicely, but just because someone asks, it doesn't mean they'll get their way. That said, it was the end of the show, and the couple could have been nice.

Regardless, I tried to get her to focus on the positive. She had a great spot all night. She was really close with nice people and U2 members walked by us several times (literally right by). We weren't on the rail, but it's not as if being on the rail means we get to touch the band (one is just a tiny bit closer).

So I'm torn. In truth, I think if I'm on the rail after waiting, I'm not moving. If I'm tired or ready to sit (and there are seats in the Red Zone - so one advantage), then I would give up my spot. Otherwise, forget it - I'm not moving! LOL!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I would but then being on the rail isn't super vital to me so I'd give it to some one who wanted it more.

At the first Vertigo show in Japan, I let an older Japanese woman (quite short) take my place at the rail and I stood behind her. Didn't detract from my experience at all.

It would annoy me though if someone acted as if it was their "right" to be on the rail though, and if I was feeling petulant I might refuse in that case.