September 23, 2009 - Giants Stadium New York - New York - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:33 AM
September 23, 2009 - Giants Stadium New York - New York

Please post your experiences, reviews and pics here.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Just got back from U2 at Giants Stadium. Place was absolutely packed. So were the trains out there. Note to anyone going to Giants Stadium, ever. Do what I did - buy your penn station-Meadowlands train ticket the day before, or at lunch. It will take you an hour to get it at the station if you wait till "after work."

It rained a tiny bit during Walk On, and these little umbrellas came up to cover the gear. Was cool actually.

I like U2, and I think they are a good band with a good show. This was probably my least favorite of the 4 I've seen (one a tour since Pop).

It's a spectacular stage...but something about it seems kinda bullshit. They sell this as a (360) tour, but it's really just like any other open stage, like the Police last year. If you are behind the stage, you are watching them from behind most of the time.

Also...why don't they put this thing in the CENTER of the stadium instead of the end zone, and do a real "in the round" kinda thing. Doesn't make much sense to me, it would just mean repositioning some gear.

I had these "VIP Red Zone" tickets. They cost $250 each, but I bought a pair to scalp so got in for free. I gotta say, the VIP Red Zone is fool's gold. It sucks. You are right next to the stage, which is always a bad view, and these bridges move around and block your view. They also hardly ever come around to where you are.

So after a few songs we went to the GA area and watched from the 50 yard line center. Much better.

Some shirtless dude got up on stage and bono let him say hi to someone in the audience and "what do you think of my new tattoos?" This happened at another show in 2000, some guy climbed up on the ramp and told Bono "I'm only trying to have a good time!", with Bono responding "Me too."

The setlist...ehh hate to bitch, but it's way too much new shit I'd guess 65 percent of the setlist is post 2000, and that's just too much for a band like this. They don't want to admit it...and I guess neither does their audience. But this is the ONLY band that has been around this long and has such a large and loyal fanbase. Your average Stones concert attendee probably hasn't bought a new Stones album in 20 years or so. These U2 fans know all the words, even to the new shit.

The coolest song of the night was some deep cut from the Passengers album, which i used to use as a soundtrack to the silent movie Metropolis. Very cool.

The gayest moment of the night...or probably ever...was when the drummer did a bongo solo in the center of the front ramp, thrusting his pelvis about to and fro toward the crowd.

My summary - U2 is a great band...and a big band that can play these places. But I see them as a fantastic stadium spectacle show, like Pop, or an amazing arena band with a stripped down show, such as the last two tours.

This Claw tour...it's kind of in between, and I prefer this band going one way or the other. It's a "big" stadium show, but it's really not that spectacular once you get used to the size of it. And they should be playing more old shit, pure and simple.

There was some grumbling I think when they went "political." Telling us about a Burmese political prisoner, and have Desmond Tutu address the crowd via 360 video. But really very little...certainly no booing or anything...but there was probably a decent percentage of the crowd that could have done without it.

My favorite song of the night had to be the Passengers song...also the disco version of "Go Crazy Tonight" was great...it reminded me of Pop and Zooropa and all that stuff. Also cool to see planes coming in on approach to Newark airport all night, flying over us right to left.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 07:33 AM
Great review!

I bought tickets 2 days ago... still interested to see how this rail line works out.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerks View Post
Great review!

I bought tickets 2 days ago... still interested to see how this rail line works out.
Buy your train ticket in advance...if you don't you'll be sorry! It could save you an hour. Make the trip to Penn tomorrow at lunch and buy your meadowlands train ticket.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy levi View Post
The gayest moment of the night...or probably ever...was when the drummer did a bongo solo in the center of the front ramp, thrusting his pelvis about to and fro toward the crowd.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
Exactly.

I actually think the original poster should have kept this "review" for him/herself. Nothing like people who are not real fans and come to a board only to post random thoughts on a U2 show without being able to name the band members or knowing the titles of certain songs. Some of the remarks seem really rude to me. U2 fans know the lyrics of the songs? Gasp. who would have thought. This is actually a U2 fan forum, dude.

And was that Tattoo Dan on stage?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Some of us like when "the drummer" thrusts his pelvis, makes us feel all warm and squishy inside.

(wonders how much the scalper charged so he could get in for free)

Yep, pretty sure it was Tattoo Dan, looked like him.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Tattoo Dan is super cool
Old 09-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Tattoo Dan is super cool
For sure, when he popped up on stage I yelled out Tattoo Dan and got a few strange looks from the people around me.

The oddest things excite me.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Y2K
Refugee

There wasn't as much new stuff as the reviewer claims. 4 songs from ATYCLB ("Beautiful Day", "Stuck in a Moment", "Elevation", "Walk On"), 2 songs from HTDAAB ("Vertigo", "City of Blinding Lights"), and 6 songs from NLOTH ("No Line on the Horizon", "Magnificent", "Moment of Surrender", "Crazy Tonight", "Get On Your Boots", "Breathe"). So 12/24 = 50%. Which is fair when you consider they have a new album out this year and had a bunch of hits earlier this decade.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
kso
Babyface

The band was in fine form. The crowd, on the other hand, was awful. I've never seen such a dead crowd--even the front rail looked pretty dead but maybe they are all exhausted from the Boston shows...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Babyface

Quote:

The gayest moment of the night...or probably ever...
How old are you?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
The Fly

I was in section 113 and the crowd around me seemed like a really good bunch, no sitters, drunks or dead-beats. Everyone was really into it without being totally obnoxious, guess I lucked out. In front of me was the cutest guy, you could tell he was madly in love with Bono and kept breaking out in Elaine Benes type dancing - not so easy to do in tight quarters but very entertaining. I had a power whistler behind me who stopped spitting in my ear when I had to wipe it with a napkin, but it's all good.

Note to fellow standing next to me, if you don't know the lyrics please don't screech random words along with the song. You're not Bono and people will laugh at you and make funny faces.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
The band was in fine form. The crowd, on the other hand, was awful. I've never seen such a dead crowd--even the front rail looked pretty dead but maybe they are all exhausted from the Boston shows...
We were all seriously dead from the heat and humidity all day; there was no shade in the GA line at all! I actually got so sick after Muse and was totally dehydrated (even though i was sure to drink during the day). I honestly thought I was going to be one of those people that they have to pull out of the crowd and carry away (Sarah and I were front pit rail directly in front of Adam). I actually told her not to worry about me if that happens and just stay and enjoy the show because one of her best friends and his mom were directly behind us and her father & brother were in seats. It seriously sucked that the entire time U2 was right in front of me i couldn't help but think "Please don't puke in front of Bono!" It KILLED me that we had such a prime spot and i couldn't even enjoy it and jump around like I usually do!It was seriously stifling in the pit. Honestly though, I am shocked and pleased that I actually made it through without throwing up or passing out.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I had these "VIP Red Zone" tickets. They cost $250 each, but I bought a pair to scalp so got in for free. I gotta say, the VIP Red Zone is fool's gold. It sucks. You are right next to the stage, which is always a bad view, and these bridges move around and block your view. They also hardly ever come around to where you are.
I think that's the first bad review of Red Zone I've seen, and scalping them is not cool.