September 21, 2009 - Gilette Stadium Foxboro - Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, but since when has U2.com been a legitimate source? We already know that site is run by incompetent fools who apparently know nothing about geography. It's saturated with fluff ups. This site has always been more legit. At least their T-Shirts list the proper locations so people don't walk around looking like idiots with shirts that say things like "FedEx Field, Washington, DC".

I approve :)

No seriously though, it's been a good laugh for a long time how U2.com fucked the locations and hasn't changed them on the site ever since posting them. Just another reason why I go here instead. Y'all are great about accuracy. I mean, they can't even get something as simple as a location correct. It just looks ridiculous.

ETA: Actually I think they did change NY to NJ. I could've sworn when it was first listed, it said New York City, NY.

But alas, I digress. Thanks for changing it!

Just got home from Foxboro2 and all I can say is
Foxboro 1 =awesome
Foxboro 2 = awesome x1,000
Inside rail in front of Bono, 2nd row both nights and it was unreal , even more so tonight.
will post more later.
Now begins my PTD (Post tour Depression) as thats it for me for now anyway.

I thought tonights show was a great show and the crowd seemed to have alot more enthusiasm than last night which is always good. I had a blast, however, that being said, I am going to be frank about what i think about sitting behind the stage-- it's not for me. I discovered that I really feed off the energy they give out and that was missing for me in a way; I didnt really hit nirvana like I do when they are facing me,even if I cant see them very close. At least I know they are looking out my way. SO, I was abit disappointed...especially since I could tell that the crowd was really great & the band was responding to that. I wanted to be part of it and felt left out. I also found myself sardined in the middle of a row which Ive never encountered before. Bizarre i know. I was so squished, I could barely move to the music. :( I went with two friends and this was their first u2 show...they said they enjoyed the show and didnt mind the band's forward facing predominance. But they had a different perspective...they werent even curious to know what it would be like from a different vantage point, which every fanatic obsesses about, as we know. Dont get me wrong, they do make some small appearances towards the back, but is very fleeting & minimal. Most of the time you are just looking at the screen & the back of their bodies. The approximity to them didnt seem to be a big benefit in this case (for me anyway.) They are still quite far away -i could not get one decent photo of them w. zoom, so much for "being closer" lol :( Id much rather be looking directly at them from the far end of the stadium, than behind. Thats just me though. I dont plan on getting behind the stage seats again. I told myself that during the VErtigo tour, but the illusion of the 360 lured me in.

Ive read a few reviews describing a postive experience from behind the stage which did play a factor in me choosing them. I just wanted to offer another experience. What I think Id like to advise anyone considering them...is to think about what your personal preference is in regards to how important band interaction is to you. Or the "feeling" of interaction... the energy given out towards you. If you thrive on that, then behind the stage is definitely not for you.
Youll still have a good time, but finding "lift off" might be more challenging.

Regardless of this--- It was a blast and Im so sad no more shows........ :(

This was arguably the best show of the tour so far and I was there. Holy fuck. :faint: :combust:

Will post a more detailed review when I'm not half asleep. I liked Breathe as an opener Sunday, but after hearing Magnificent open the show, it blows Breathe away. It got the crowd going from the start. Was slightly dissapointed(and by slight I mean for literally 2 seconds lol) to not hear Breathe, but I did hear it Sunday. And this show was so amazing, it made up for that.

Had seats on Sunday night and had a blast. This was my first time doing GA.

OH. MY. GOD.

Due to my friend running extremely late we didn't even arrive until 6:30. We walked in and were looking around to see where we were going to stand. I was fully ready to just be towards the back with plenty of room to dance/jump, whatever. As we were walking around an event staff guy came up and asked if we wanted to go into the pit, they had room for 50 more people and if we wanted in we had to hurry. We went over to Edge's side, ended up 4 back. We met some really great people around us, everyone was so nice about saving each other's spots for leaving for bathroom breaks or food. This continued during the show, we all made sure that everyone could see and we all worked to keep the people who hadn't been around from just plopping themselves in front of us (which did happen twice, the first time the guy was an ass and he and my friend nearly got into a fight; the second time I just told the guy that we had been in that spot for a while and that if he wanted to move behind us we would make room and he and his wife were really nice and did move behind us). I have never felt an energy like the energy in the pit. Usually I run out of steam towards the end of a concert, but this was so amazing and I could have kept going. The band was laughing a lot with each other, they seemed to be having a great time. The Edge was right above us for most of the show. He came onto the bridge and played most of SBS on there, right above me. I know a lot of Interferencers have met them or had close-up experiences w/them before, but this was my first time being that close and to know that someone whose work you admire so much is about 3 feet above you is just indescribable. At one point during the show I got really emotional, just looking around taking it all in. The setlist, the sound, the vibe, the people around us, finally having a GA experience, it was overwhelming.

I'm glad to hear other people say the vibe was great because from the pit it was amazing and I kept saying to my friend that this was the best U2 show I had ever seen (my 10th) but couldn't tell if it was just because of where I was. I kept wondering if the people I met were Interferencers. :hyper:

Best show I have ever seen, I never want a seat again. :heart:

I'll give you my two cent's on the show. Just got back home an hour ago (I live in Maine).

Stood near the back of the inner circle on Edge's side (my view of Bono at the mike stand was pretty much profile--which I kind of like). I would not have wanted to be much closer to the stage because of the height. But I was close enough to hear Edge's amps over the PA speakers above. I love that.

This was an excellent show, as always (I've seen them 1-2 times on each tour since War). I'm still settling into the new album (for me it takes a while of living with it before the songs take hold in me), and some of the new material didn't seem to have the legs I've come to expect of U2 songs (kind of like some of the songs on Popmart, which was overall a terrific album, but had some songs that just never spoke to me).

On the other hand, Magnificent was a great opener and while I'm a little lukewarm on the studio version of "Crazy" it was nice to see Edge jumping around--he really got charged up on that number.

This was the first show since the War tour where didn't play "Pride"--interesting omission.

Bono's voice was strong and everybody played really well, I thought. I always like second shows in a city because I get the sense the band is more relaxed and rested not travelling that day. They seemed like they were putting their all into it and enjoying the crowd.

I was a little surprised they didn't use the outer circle more, but I suppose you don't want to overdo it.

Overall a very strong show.

Is it just me, or is pulling a woman on stage every night getting a little tired? I appreciate it's a thrill for the lady, and I know it's a gesture on Bono's part of bridging the gap between them and us, but I think he could come up with new and better ways of doing that. Pulling someone up every once in a while, great, but every single night for the third tour in a row?

Is it just me, or is pulling a woman on stage every night getting a little tired? I appreciate it's a thrill for the lady, and I know it's a gesture on Bono's part of bridging the gap between them and us, but I think he could come up with new and better ways of doing that. Pulling someone up every once in a while, great, but every single night for the third tour in a row?

that's funny--bono pulled a kid up to the stage on 9/20 and I thought, oh, maybe he's not bringing a woman up , doing the dancing, hugging, etc. this tour

I'll post my full review later, but please don't bash Melissa. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met and we all should be happy for her.

Speaking for myself, I love when he pulls a woman up to dance with--can't wait to hear the details!

Actually there have only been a couple of shows this tour where Bono pulled girls up, far from Vertigo, where a girl/woman came up for WOWY and/or MW every night. For the current tour, it's only once in a while. We hardly saw any women on stage during the European leg. No more girls for WOWY and only some for MW.

So no, it's not tired because it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

I'll post my full review later, but please don't bash Melissa. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met and we all should be happy for her.

And she was first in the GA queue for opening night in Barcelona so she's earned her chance to try to kidnap Bono.

BTW my two hosts in Boston, one of their friends and I got into the pit at 7:50pm on Adam's side. We got a great spot about two rows from the back rail at the centre. And it wasn't too packed in there, I'm sure it wasn't full.

It was my first time in the pit on this tour (I was in the pit with Infinity Girl at Dub 2 but we left to grab outer rail cos it was too packed). It was a rather good gig :)

Some quick random observations:

- magnificent new opener

- it was fantastic seeing all the little intra-band interactions, the nods, winks, laughs at private jokes during the show

- Larry had to sprint to get back to his kit during Crazy Tonight, and he and his roadie (Sam?) acted out a little joke with Larry pretending to throw his bongo from a further distance out on the bridge and Sam egging him on to throw it to him

- the lead-in to the first line of Streets seemed a bit prolonged, I noticed Larry jokingly shake his head at Adam a few times and then nod, as if he was telling Adam to find his rhythm or something - and then Bono missed his timing for the first line :)

- really liked seeing Adam have a cup of tea with MLK

- Bostonians are very quick to their fists. I'd seen two fights the previous day, one I think was over parking in Boston, another was at Mansfield station when a taxi driver challenged someone over picking up passengers. Another one almost broke out in front of me at one point during the show when a guy jumping around bumped into a guy taking pictures, but I stepped between the two blokes to calm them down, and thankfully they quickly shook hands

- ALWAYS ask security if you can get into the pit - no matter what time you arrive!

I thought tonights show was a great show and the crowd seemed to have alot more enthusiasm than last night which is always good. I had a blast, however, that being said, I am going to be frank about what i think about sitting behind the stage-- it's not for me. I discovered that I really feed off the energy they give out and that was missing for me in a way; I didnt really hit nirvana like I do when they are facing me,even if I cant see them very close. At least I know they are looking out my way. SO, I was abit disappointed...especially since I could tell that the crowd was really great & the band was responding to that. I wanted to be part of it and felt left out. I also found myself sardined in the middle of a row which Ive never encountered before. Bizarre i know. I was so squished, I could barely move to the music. :( I went with two friends and this was their first u2 show...they said they enjoyed the show and didnt mind the band's forward facing predominance. But they had a different perspective...they werent even curious to know what it would be like from a different vantage point, which every fanatic obsesses about, as we know. Dont get me wrong, they do make some small appearances towards the back, but is very fleeting & minimal. Most of the time you are just looking at the screen & the back of their bodies. The approximity to them didnt seem to be a big benefit in this case (for me anyway.) They are still quite far away -i could not get one decent photo of them w. zoom, so much for "being closer" lol :( Id much rather be looking directly at them from the far end of the stadium, than behind. Thats just me though. I dont plan on getting behind the stage seats again. I told myself that during the VErtigo tour, but the illusion of the 360 lured me in.

Ive read a few reviews describing a postive experience from behind the stage which did play a factor in me choosing them. I just wanted to offer another experience. What I think Id like to advise anyone considering them...is to think about what your personal preference is in regards to how important band interaction is to you. Or the "feeling" of interaction... the energy given out towards you. If you thrive on that, then behind the stage is definitely not for you.

Well I was in the exact same situation last night, and I actually had a GREAT time! the concert was AMAZING! a real blast!
I went with 3 friends who had never seen the band in concert before and I gave two of them my 105 section tickets and used 119 behind the stage tickets for myself. The four of us really had a great time and thought our tickets were great. I had seen them in Paris in July and I was sitting on the sides then and I actually saw much more of them this time. Certainly, the energy is different from behind the stage and I wished I could see them more directly. However they went behind the stage much more than in Paris and I was able to see them really well! I could somehow have a better sense of the entire stage last night (which I could not from the side tickets, which were the most expensive ones for Paris) and see the band interact with each other much more. Also, the people around me were jumping and yelling and the energy was really good. I was also at a low row and really close to the stairs so I saw them come in and leave very well.
I was really concerned about these behind the stage tickets, and I don't regret them. Of course part of me wonders how the experience was elsewhere in the stadium, but that's coz I am a little obsessed!!!
It was an amazing experience!
I will try to post some pictures if I figure out how to do so!
And as for you, I am so sad it is already over this time around....

I am a little tired of certain women EXPECTING to be brought on stage. I'm not saying I mind it when he does.....but some ladies, seem to EXPECT that Bono brings them up.

I much prefer when he pulls up little kids.

This has nothing to do with Melissa. I am totally happy for her.

I was at both Toronto shows....and no women were pulled up on stage.

I've lately felt the same way about Bono pulling up girls to dance with them. Frankly, as he's gotten older - and the women have gotten younger - it's become a little creepy.

BUT, I felt his interaction with that woman during UTEOTW last night was brilliant. First off, it was funny (and self-deprecating) when Bono had her pick him up and carry him around. Then, his bit of using the bridges to create a gap that they could reach across during the solo and coda (while shouting to the crew to get the bridges to move) was amazing theater - and apparently spontaneous to boot. I wouldn't be surprised if that makes another appearance at a future show.

I'm not going to write a full review because so many people around here are much better at it than I am. I will make a few observations/comments.

Night 1

- The sound was a bit off. I was in section 334 row 7 and we heard a bit of an echo whenever Bono spoke and during a couple of songs. They seemed to sort it out though.

- The inner circle looked packed solid from my view, but there was plenty of space in GA for people who wanted to hang back and jump around like mad -- and many did :hyper:

- I loved the set list and the people down in GA looked to be having a blast, while the people in my section were very sedated and only stood for the usual songs like SBS, Vertigo, Elevation, Streets and ISHFWILF. They were very quiet during the NLOTH songs with the exception of Boots. I think my friends and I and a few other people were the only ones standings throughout the entire show.

- Great opportunity for photos of the claw in all of it's glory.

Night 2

- The sound and view of the band from section 110 row 29 was excellent.

- I was shocked to see all four guys hit the stage together and new something was up. I was shocked when they started with Magnificant. The crowd around me really got into the opening. The reaction to the opener was much better than the previous night with Breathe opening.

- Couldn't see the full impact of the claw, but I saw it the night before so it was okay.

- GA looked more crowded, and again I loved watching the energy of the people down there. I am very tempted to do GA next time around, or at least seriously consider it. :hmm:

- Drunks in expensive seats are more obnoxious than drunks in cheap seats.

- Overall I had a blast at both shows, but night 2 definitely had the edge for me. Breathe is actually one of my favorite songs and I did miss it, but not enough to ruin my night. If they didn't play UF I would have been crushed. Would I have preferred Breathe in favor of something else (One, WOWY)? Yes, without a doubt, but no real complaints about the set list from me.

The only down side of the two nights was not having an opportunity anyone from Interference. Maybe next time. :hyper:

I feel exactly the same way. I had behind the stage seats for several shows on Elevation and Vertigo and they were great which is why we thought we'd try it again for one show. But for some reason, our behind the stage seats at this show were kinda 'eh.' I don't know if it was the crowd in our section. Or the fact that it was a stadium and not an arena....our view was not that great (admittedly we were off to the side a bit) and, yeah, there was a sense of disconnect. It felt weird that the first so many rows were blocked off and empty. I sorta wished we were surrounded by more people. Of course a major reason could be that we were front center outer rail the night before and what can beat that?!

I agree.
Also, he pulled her up for UTEOTW and was very symbolic the way they improvised with the song and the meaning of the song. Hard to explain but it was so good it seeemed planned and I KNOW it wasn't as i spoke to her prior to the show.
I have a long post in the tour gatherings thread about my experience (sorry wrong spot) but it goes into a lot of detail.

I'm not going to write a full review because so many people around here are much better at it than I am. I will make a few observations/comments.

Night 1

- The sound was a bit off. I was in section 334 row 7 and we heard a bit of an echo whenever Bono spoke and during a couple of songs. They seemed to sort it out though.

- The inner circle looked packed solid from my view, but there was plenty of space in GA for people who wanted to hang back and jump around like mad -- and many did :hyper:

- I loved the set list and the people down in GA looked to be having a blast, while the people in my section were very sedated and only stood for the usual songs like SBS, Vertigo, Elevation, Streets and ISHFWILF. They were very quiet during the NLOTH songs with the exception of Boots. I think my friends and I and a few other people were the only ones standings throughout the entire show.

- Great opportunity for photos of the claw in all of it's glory.

Night 2

- The sound and view of the band from section 110 row 29 was excellent.

- I was shocked to see all four guys hit the stage together and new something was up. I was shocked when they started with Magnificant. The crowd around me really got into the opening. The reaction to the opener was much better than the previous night with Breathe opening.

- Couldn't see the full impact of the claw, but I saw it the night before so it was okay.

- GA looked more crowded, and again I loved watching the energy of the people down there. I am very tempted to do GA next time around, or at least seriously consider it. :hmm:

- Drunks in expensive seats are more obnoxious than drunks in cheap seats.

- Overall I had a blast at both shows, but night 2 definitely had the edge for me. Breathe is actually one of my favorite songs and I did miss it, but not enough to ruin my night. If they didn't play UF I would have been crushed. Would I have preferred Breathe in favor of something else (One, WOWY)? Yes, without a doubt, but no real complaints about the set list from me.

The only down side of the two nights was not having an opportunity anyone from Interference. Maybe next time. :hyper:

you MUST DO GA.

This was my third and final show of 2009 and I also had seats behind the stage. I too felt left out of the fun the front crowd was having. Even when the boys came to the back and paid us some attention, it just wasn't enough for me. To give the back section credit, from my view everyone was standing/dancing so it wasn't a complete fail. That being said I could appreciate the energy the pit and outer rail was bringing. It was like watching a good DVD :) Bono seemed to be feeding off the energy, and almost had a silly vibe to him that I didn't see at the Toronto shows. I also didn't think the sound quality was as good as Toronto (who would have thought?) it seemed flat and not as loud.

Just some random thoughts about last night and the tour overall.. Dropping Breathe for Magnificent was not an upgrade for me. Magnificent deserves the buildup and I don't think the crowd was ready for it yet. Hearing Stay live just makes me so happy :love: Bono's voice has sounded fantastic this tour. Visually the show is eye candy, and I have loved taking in the glorious claw. Everything from the screen to the lights that shoot up to the stars is amazing. I'm slightly disappointed about the lack of setlist surprises from night to night. I'd like to see the final encore shaken up a bit, but thankfully they didn't last night when I left a bit early to beat the traffic :reject:

Would you happen to know if Melissa is from South America? She looks like someone I may have talked to at Sunday's show but Im not sure!!??:hmm:

I am going to be frank about what i think about sitting behind the stage-- it's not for me. I discovered that I really feed off the energy they give out and that was missing for me in a way

That's exactly how I felt night 1 being up in the 300s. I could see the energy in GA and the lower sections, which was missing from being high up. I definitely felt removed from the action, despite still having a good time.

I went with two friends and this was their first u2 show...they said they enjoyed the show and didnt mind the band's forward facing predominance. But they had a different perspective...they werent even curious to know what it would be like from a different vantage point, which every fanatic obsesses about, as we know.
Yep, the same with me. I was with two casual fans who weren't bothered by the lack of energy/enthusiasm, but would have preferred better seats.

What I think Id like to advise anyone considering them...is to think about what your personal preference is in regards to how important band interaction is to you. Or the "feeling" of interaction... the energy given out towards you. If you thrive on that, then behind the stage is definitely not for you. Youll still have a good time, but finding "lift off" might be more challenging.
That's a great point, and I'd say say take the same into consideration when thinking about seats that are high up. It could vary venue to venue, but for me I'd never do section 300 seats at Gillette. Lower level or GA all the way.

I know how you feel. Post show depression will hit me full blast tomorrow :sad:

Back
Top Bottom