September 21, 2009 - Gilette Stadium Foxboro - Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since the Gatherings thread has been closed for Boston, I just wanted to add that it was so great meeting up with all of you Interferencers on Sat. night (Vjaqb, LauraMullen, MellowMoog, Cathalmc, Nelle, Jesseu2, Diamond, ramblinrose, daygloeyes (glad you decided to come), bonoishot, Kassandra) I know I've forgotten a bunch, we probably had 15 or so people. It really was a fun gathering. People in the GA lines were awesome--tripletmom it was nice talking with you and having you share your U2 stories with us. Did you ever get your poster back? I know I'll be seeing some of you in Tampa. Can't wait.

And a special thanks to ramblinrose for waiting in the lot for me on Monday night and for the hysterical ride back to the hotel. I still have 4 of those apricot/almond muesli bars. I could bring one to Tampa for you. And a special thanks goes out to Garmin. We couldn't have done it without you...or maybe we could have done it better without you.

And she was first in the GA queue for opening night in Barcelona so she's earned her chance to try to kidnap Bono.

BTW my two hosts in Boston, one of their friends and I got into the pit at 7:50pm on Adam's side. We got a great spot about two rows from the back rail at the centre. And it wasn't too packed in there, I'm sure it wasn't full.

It was my first time in the pit on this tour (I was in the pit with Infinity Girl at Dub 2 but we left to grab outer rail cos it was too packed). It was a rather good gig :)

Hey Cathal. I'm really chuffed for you that you got in the pit, especially last night as the atmosphere was truly electric!!!Thanks for the drink and I'm really enjoying reading your book even though I should be working!!!!!

Last night, I was in Red Zone 1 (Edge's Side) and decided to stay there as I was dying from being in the pit on Sunday and thought I could "appreciate" the show in the RZ without going nuts like in the pit. Boy was I wrong. I still went nuts!!!

When they started with Magnificent which is one of my all time top 3 U2 songs, I all but launched into orbit!!!! This is the perfect song to start the show with and I couldn't stop grinning while singing along! This was the best start to a show I've seen since the Zoo TV Zoo Station at Earls Court in 92

I don't know what the red zones were like for the other gigs when U2 were on but this was like a mini pit and I wasn't the only one going loco!
For Vertigo when Bono said "you wanna be back in the Paradise??", well it bleedin well felt like it. Blistering can't even begin to describe it..As much as "I will follow" has been overplayed in the past, at the right moment like the gig last night , it would be an absolute killer!!

I really appreciate the band trying to do some mixing up with the setlist and getting Mysterious Ways, UTEOTW and Ultra Violet in one night was very special. The one change they really should make is remove With or Without You. This song on record is still one of my favourite songs but it just kills the flow live right now and I can't help but feel the general lack of energy from the band on it also.

Overall, this was an incredible concert and is one of the best U2 shows that I have ever attended.

This was my last show unfortunately for this part of the tour (My uncle schedule his Wedding in Belgium the same day as Tampa Oct 9th!!) but knowing they'll be playing again next year has stopped feeling down about it though. All i can say is :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::heart::heart::applaud::applaud:

Since the Gatherings thread has been closed for Boston, I just wanted to add that it was so great meeting up with all of you Interferencers on Sat. night (Vjaqb, LauraMullen, MellowMoog, Cathalmc, Nelle, Jesseu2, Diamond, ramblinrose, daygloeyes (glad you decided to come), bonoishot, Kassandra) I know I've forgotten a bunch, we probably had 15 or so people. It really was a fun gathering. People in the GA lines were awesome--tripletmom it was nice talking with you and having you share your U2 stories with us. Did you ever get your poster back? I know I'll be seeing some of you in Tampa. Can't wait.

And a special thanks to ramblinrose for waiting in the lot for me on Monday night and for the hysterical ride back to the hotel. I still have 4 of those apricot/almond muesli bars. I could bring one to Tampa for you. And a special thanks goes out to Garmin. We couldn't have done it without you...or maybe we could have done it better without you.

Hey U2 floridaFan. It was great to meet you and your husband. Sorry I won't be there at Tampa but I'll be thinking how fantastic a time you'll be having while I'm sleeping off my uncle's wedding in bleedin Belgium:sad::sad::depressed::depressed::depressed::doh::doh:

Video of If I Don't Go Crazy leading into Sunday Bloody Sunday. It may not be done processing yet. Quality is always lost when uploading to Youtube. Looks better on my Mac, but here ya go :)

YouTube - U2

Hey Cathal. I'm really chuffed for you that you got in the pit, especially last night as the atmosphere was truly electric!!!

And a big huge massive diolch yn fawr (thank you) to mellow moog! This lovelee and outrageously generous gent gave me a GA ticket for last night!

Last night, I was in Red Zone 1 (Edge's Side) and decided to stay there as I was dying from being in the pit on Sunday and thought I could "appreciate" the show in the RZ without going nuts like in the pit. Boy was I wrong. I still went nuts!!!

Class! Is there any video of this? :)

There were some people filming with cameras there so you never know!!!!
I was walking like frankenstein in the office today thanks to my seized up legs! I had to tell people I spent too much time working in the yard at the weekend. Nobody believed me!!!!

"I Once was lost, but now I see....""" :wink::hyper::hyper:

I'm kind of a fair-weather U2 fan. I was here on Interference a bit when HTDAAB came out, then disappeared and really kind of "moved on" past U2. Discovering bands like Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, etc. made U2 seem kind of past-their-prime and mediocre. Of course when NLOTH came out, I quickly got back into the band for a bit, but it kind of fell by the wayside as summer rolled around and I didn't make any effort to buy concert tickets.

Then a week ago, I was talking to a friend and we discovered a mutual affection for U2. Started discussing their back catalog, albums, and the sort of things you can only discuss with other hardcore fans. We realized - hey, they're going to be 5 hours south of us in Boston next week. Let's get tickets and go for it!

We got to the stadium around 6pm and managed to find a spot in the pit in front of Adam, one row off the back rail. This ended up being a wise choice - although we could have gone closer in, there was so much less stress staying near the outer rail, not having to worry about people squeezing in front of you. Plus there was more room to hop around and jump without getting smashed.

Anyway, while waiting for U2 to come out, it felt strange. Here I was at a concert I didn't even plan on being at just a week before. My two previous experiences during Vertigo Tour had included months of agonizing waits, lurking during setlist parties, full days spent in GA lines, and extreme anticipation. This time, I didn't really know what they would play, and really didn't feel any sort of overwhelming anticipation. More of a "this should be a fun night" instead of "FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY IT'S HERE!" And I expected to have a good time, then head back north and move on.

I don't know what happened. Sometime between GOYB (which was way better live than I expected), ISHFWILF, and Elevation, I was back in the zone. Instead of just nodding along and clapping, I was jumping, yelling, and singing as loud as I could. It was just perfect. It was better than any concert experience I've ever had. Better than when I got front row on the rail between Bono and Edge during Vertigo. Perfect. Without knowing what the previous setlists were, I wasn't thinking "Oh, next comes Song X, followed by Song Y; oh, Song Z - they've only played that 4 times so far this tour!" I was just in the moment. And couldn't have been more fun.

Now I'm home. Now I'm depressed. I went to one concert, and now it's over. I don't want to work. I just want to see them again.

Now I remember why I love this band so much. And now I realize I need to start saving and planning for more U2. Next spring!

Is it just me, or is pulling a woman on stage every night getting a little tired? I appreciate it's a thrill for the lady, and I know it's a gesture on Bono's part of bridging the gap between them and us, but I think he could come up with new and better ways of doing that. Pulling someone up every once in a while, great, but every single night for the third tour in a row?[/QUOTE]

I went to both Wembley shows and i don't think anyone got pulled up. At one Chicago show Bono did pull a young boy up to do a lap during COBL.

Did he pull someone up every night in Europe does anyone know?

The girl that did get pulled up Monday night...she was awesome...ok according to my brother. LOL

And the bridge "theater" w/ Melissa was unreal. Hope some video of that turns up - that girl is an absolute stunner. Loved Bono's quote.. "Sometimes this job has great perks... like being lifted up by a such a beautiful girl...a girl.. like that". haha. I wasn't in the least bit surprised. After seeing her in the GA line throughout the day... of course Bono brings her up. How could you not?

Thank you to the gruff-but-loveable GA line organizers.

I suppose that's all. Just wanted to check in w/ the community after an absolutely perfect U2 experience.

:[/QUOTE]

Hi guys,

I helped Melissa over the rail after Bono called for her. She was to Jesse's left at center mic.

She's a one of those rare girls, who are both genuinely sweet and beautiful. I'm glad she was friendly w Jesse, cuz we all know Jesse is thee man.

I saw a quality video of her event after the show-I may get it.

Here's a few photos:

000_0044.jpg

000_0043.jpg

<>

000_0036.jpg

Not the best pics..I was trying to enjoy the show.. and as you all can see I've put on a few lbs lately adding to the circumference of my 360 degree appearance-just for this tour.:up:

Jesse is excited about the show I think. Dr Who looks great.
:)

000_0048.jpg

000_0039.jpg

<>

Thanks, it must be the same girl. She was very nice. I dont know how she managed to hold him up, its not as if Bono is light on his feet. :D This girl that I had encoutered briefly was from Venezuela was very spirited and outgoing and I could see her being able to do that. She had a certain presence about her. I swear it was her... she did tell me her name, but I dont remember it if it was Melissa. Anyway, I thought it was cool! WOudl haev loved to have seen it from the front too.

Yes, her name is Melissa, and she is from Venezuela. Very beautiful, young girl, and one of the nicest people you will ever meet, unlike some of the other regular U2 "dancers". Crazy U2 fan, she'll line up alone for days to be up front. She's friends with certain U2 bandmembers, actually (which is why she's been onstage a few times -- she also danced onstage in Australia during Vertigo), and could probably pull some strings to get inside first, but she pays her dues like the rest of us.

The best thing about her getting chosen is that she's good at performing once she's up there. She doesn't freeze, or bearhug Bono, she gets into it and puts on a show, really entertaining stuff.

Is it just me, or is pulling a woman on stage every night getting a little tired? I appreciate it's a thrill for the lady, and I know it's a gesture on Bono's part of bridging the gap between them and us, but I think he could come up with new and better ways of doing that. Pulling someone up every once in a while, great, but every single night for the third tour in a row?

I was at both Chicago shows and both Boston shows. Bono did NOT pull up a woman every night - in fact, the second Boston show was the only time he pulled up a woman to dance of those 4 shows.

He did pull up a child in Chicago and Boston, but not a woman.

So he is not pulling up a girl every night as you stated. I think he does this as the mood or person strikes him.

But the way this one worked out was far better than other tours. First, she carried him around, then there was the whole bridge singing - very fun. Far, FAR better than just rolling around on the ground during WOWY like he did during a few shows of the Elevation Tour (boring...).

I went to both Boston shows. Tried to leave the second Boston show a heartbeat early to escape the madness that is Gillette stadium. Whoever designed this is an idiot - blocked roads (forcing people to go the wrong way), lanes that merge down into one when 60,000 people are trying to get out. It was ridiculous.

But by leaving early, I got to hear the concert from further away and Bono's voice was great during WOWY. Sometimes being too close distorts the sound. I thought Bono sounded especially good on Monday and being farther away proved it.

I had Red Zone on Monday and secured a spot by the rail. I haven't been by a rail since Elevation. The iPhone takes decent pics in the right light - and concert lighting isn't it. But it takes fun videos! The sound is blown out, but I have a few video clips that I'll try to upload later. Still, being right by the rail and having all of U2 walk by at some point is a great experience.

Just like the second Chicago show, the energy seemed higher the second night in Boston. I'm sure it has to do with the lack of travel and being more "rehearsed" and comfortable. I've also become a great Snow Patrol fan (that said, I'm still not willing to shell out $30 for one of their beanies). Their setlist doesn't vary, but I appreciate their talent. Good job. I've seen them open 5 times now for U2 and have been impressed each time.

U2 was on in Boston 2 just like Chicago 2 and so was the crowd. In Chicago, the crowds arrived earlier. Boston people seemed to get to the show late - very late. Seemed like the seats finally filled in minutes before U2 came on stage both nights. I've noticed this at past Boston shows too. I guess Bostoners would rather have some dinner or a drink than see an opening band. Too bad - they missed a good one.

But the fans made up for it with U2. Energy was high, U2 was on fire and the show was great. I regret leaving a tad early as I was still stuck in traffic, but as I wrote, it gave me a chance to hear and see from a different perspective and I let someone else by the rail for a bit (she didn't even say thanks - what a b*tch!).

I also met Jesse and Dave (as the picture Dave posted shows) and Rambling Rose (who has been to too many U2 concerts! LOL!). Everyone was so nice - I wish I had more time to chat with all of them and hear of their experiences.

These are the only four shows I planned for and I'm tired. I'm back in Petaluma, CA now. It was a busy week off (with some unplanned travel too). I'm almost over-dosing on U2. A bit of a break is good. That said, I REALL enjoyed the four shows. I've seen U2 in stadiums and saw them tons on the past few tours. I told Dave I think the Elevation tour was my favorite of the past three, but now, I think I may have to say this tour is. The fun stage design, the energy of 60-80K people, the setlist variation, the strong album, Bono's voice, the energy from the band - everything is really clicking. I love the claw! It's great (although I too was annoyed with the broken pixels in the screen - hopefully these are fixed soon). I hope everyone enjoys the tour as much as I did these four shows!

Now to go to work to take a break from my vacation! LOL!

I'm kind of a fair-weather U2 fan. I was here on Interference a bit when HTDAAB came out, then disappeared and really kind of "moved on" past U2. Discovering bands like Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, etc. made U2 seem kind of past-their-prime and mediocre. Of course when NLOTH came out, I quickly got back into the band for a bit, but it kind of fell by the wayside as summer rolled around and I didn't make any effort to buy concert tickets.

Then a week ago, I was talking to a friend and we discovered a mutual affection for U2. Started discussing their back catalog, albums, and the sort of things you can only discuss with other hardcore fans. We realized - hey, they're going to be 5 hours south of us in Boston next week. Let's get tickets and go for it!

We got to the stadium around 6pm and managed to find a spot in the pit in front of Adam, one row off the back rail. This ended up being a wise choice - although we could have gone closer in, there was so much less stress staying near the outer rail, not having to worry about people squeezing in front of you. Plus there was more room to hop around and jump without getting smashed.

Anyway, while waiting for U2 to come out, it felt strange. Here I was at a concert I didn't even plan on being at just a week before. My two previous experiences during Vertigo Tour had included months of agonizing waits, lurking during setlist parties, full days spent in GA lines, and extreme anticipation. This time, I didn't really know what they would play, and really didn't feel any sort of overwhelming anticipation. More of a "this should be a fun night" instead of "FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY IT'S HERE!" And I expected to have a good time, then head back north and move on.

I don't know what happened. Sometime between GOYB (which was way better live than I expected), ISHFWILF, and Elevation, I was back in the zone. Instead of just nodding along and clapping, I was jumping, yelling, and singing as loud as I could. It was just perfect. It was better than any concert experience I've ever had. Better than when I got front row on the rail between Bono and Edge during Vertigo. Perfect. Without knowing what the previous setlists were, I wasn't thinking "Oh, next comes Song X, followed by Song Y; oh, Song Z - they've only played that 4 times so far this tour!" I was just in the moment. And couldn't have been more fun.

Now I'm home. Now I'm depressed. I went to one concert, and now it's over. I don't want to work. I just want to see them again.

Now I remember why I love this band so much. And now I realize I need to start saving and planning for more U2. Next spring!
U2 have this spell you know! You try to break free, to get on with your life, then BAMMMM You are back under! :cute:

Over the years I have been similar, go away broaden my horizons learn new stuff, hear new stuff, then............................... The U2 fairy visits again and you are hooked again! :love:

I miss them SO MUCH right now and I pray they come back to the UK next year :pray:

I was at both Chicago shows and both Boston shows. Bono did NOT pull up a woman every night - in fact, the second Boston show was the only time he pulled up a woman to dance of those 4 shows.

i was only @ the 2nd show for the 1st three songs, but i saw the 1st Boston show on Sunday and he definitely brought someone out on the walkway ('bright lights').

i was only @ the 2nd show for the 1st three songs, but i saw the 1st Boston show on Sunday and he definitely brought someone out on the walkway ('bright lights').

yup...it was a young girl and she looked very nervous. Bono tried to high five her at the end and she left him hanging as she ran back to her spot

Hey all! I was at both shows too, and oh man did night 2 kick night 1's ass hardcore. Best concert of my life, hands down. It was like everything just came together that night - the guys, the set, the crowd...and just elevated everything to a higher plane. Call me cheesy, but something magical happened at Gillette Stadium on Monday night, and I feel privileged to have been a part of it.

It was also fantastic to meet some of you - daygloeyes2 and Jem, I met you guys in line (I was the girl who told off that couple with the Styrofoam cooler who tried to cut in line "because there was space"), and I ended up in the second row on Adam's side right by Bono with a bunch of you ("Ground Zero" somebody called it). And although the concert would have been spectacular either way, the company of you all really helped to make it something special. And holding hands with you guys during "One" and getting our shout-out from Bono...I can't wait to hear that on a recording and brag to my friend who ditched me last-minute, "He's talking about us!" :)

Thanks again guys - although I'm physically recovering (still no voice), I'm still mentally reeling.

Melissa

I also took literally over a hundred pictures each night (Sunday I was 6 people back on Edge's side) and posted them on Picasa - PM me if you want to see them and I'll send you the links!

Hey Diamond, I mean, "Old School Shirt Guy", it's me Dave! It was great to see you again!

Tried to PM you but your PM box is full.

This was my first U2 show ever. Been a fan since 1984, and the planets finally aligned for me.
Need to write a full review, but I'm posting now to ask one question: did anyone else catch a glimpse of Macphisto at this show? Swear to God, for a split second on the screen, Bono was donning a pair of horns. Then he whipped it off and (I think) threw it into the crowd. I assume a fan handed it to him...haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

This was my first U2 show ever. Been a fan since 1984, and the planets finally aligned for me.
Need to write a full review, but I'm posting now to ask one question: did anyone else catch a glimpse of Macphisto at this show? Swear to God, for a split second on the screen, Bono was donning a pair of horns. Then he whipped it off and (I think) threw it into the crowd. I assume a fan handed it to him...haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Yeah Bono spotted the horns and asked them to be passed up to him. Pretty cool. Very funny when he put them around his neck to look like a studded collar and acted like an old school punk, leaning on Edge lookin' all bad-ass. Very funny. He threw the horns back down when he was done. There was a ton of interaction w/ "Ground Zero" down in the pit.

Yeah Bono spotted the horns and asked them to be passed up to him. Pretty cool. Very funny when he put them around his neck to look like a studded collar and acted like an old school punk, leaning on Edge lookin' all bad-ass. Very funny. He threw the horns back down when he was done. There was a ton of interaction w/ "Ground Zero" down in the pit.
That's cool. My view was obstructed (those claw arms are not see-through) so all I caught was the moment onscreen. I was thinking I may have been hallucinating.

Back
Top Bottom