September 20, 2009 - Gilette Stadium Foxboro - Massachusetts - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:52 AM
September 20, 2009 - Gilette Stadium Foxboro - Massachusetts

Please post your experiences, pics, and reviews for this show here.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Wow. Just......wow.

We lined up at 9 am and were somewhere in the 200's in line. I have to say thanks to digsy, UKTan, and a few others who worked with security to allow everyone to line up. The line was very relaxed, very chill. That is, until it was time to go in. Apparently, only male security guards could pat down males and female security guards females. When we were getting ready to go, it was a mad dash. I almost lost my shoe and was nearly pushed. We were shoved into the line with the male security guard. He refused to pat us down, so we had to jump over the barrier to the female line. Once we got past security, it was a mad dash. We secured one of the last outer rail spots on Adam's side. Absolutely perfect view. And to me, absolutely worth the time I put in and all the dramz.

The show was amazing. It feels like it went by far too fast. I absolutely loved the Crazy Tonight remix, especially since Adam, Edge, and Larry were in front of us a bit of the time. And the whole band came across the bridges quite frequently. When my brain isn't fried, I'll post a more detailed description lol.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 08:52 AM
AMAZING show! truly. Got there a little before noon, was very upset at the mad surge to front around 1:30, stood in a claustrophobic herd of cattle for 4 hours, crazy pushing and shoving to get in (I feel so bad for my fellow Team Ops workers, glad I wasn't working..) but then got 2nd row from back of inner circle, towards Adam's side, perfect view. Completely worth it. No shoving, fans were great, not too squished, and U2 used the ramps a lot more than I expected. One of the bridges stopped 5 ft from me, and Bono sang "Magnificant" up there the whole time! Could see the beads of sweat on Bono's head, I was so close!

Concert itself was great- they played all my favorite songs, and performed them with such energy and dedication. I will try to post some photos later, but for now, time for some sleep!

BTW, I got dropped off and picked up, but I'm curious to know how long it took everyone to get there and leave?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Awesome show, had reserved seats towards the front of 326- near the overhang so the view was perfect. Surprise songs- New Years Day and Mysterious Ways (full version- not the choppy one from early in the tour). Bono let the crowd take over a lot of singing tonight- more than full verse in ISHFWILF, and some other parts of songs. Band was tight tonight, Bono got Larry to laugh during the band introductions- Bono went on about Larry is not a human, 'he's Robocop 3'.. and Larry cracked up.

Snow Patrol were great as openers- Gary did a little audience participation during Shut Your Eyes and after the song ended the crowd kept singing the part to his amazement and amusement.

As a side note to anyone going tomorrow- getting into the parking lots is relatively easy, getting out was a mess (at least lot 11)- no direction and just a giant free for all- sat like 45 mins with little to no movement until some people noticed a side exit was open and snuck out through that.

Good merch selection- got a tshirt and the zip up hoodie
Old 09-21-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Refugee

I agree with everyone. The show was great, and I had a blast, even if I was freezing in my very high up Sec 334 seats. Even the cops standing behind us kept saying "Whoa. It's high up here".

We heard a little bit of an echo early during U2's set, but it didn't last long. I was a little envious of the people in inner circle because it looked like a lot of fun in there. My friends and I were the only ones dancing in our section until Elevation came on. The crowd participation during ISHFWILF was awesome. It was the only time everyone in my section got up, danced, and sang. I will never understand going to a rock concert and sitting firmly in your seat. Odd. Hopefully the crowd in the lower section will be better tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2jer View Post
Snow Patrol were great as openers- Gary did a little audience participation during Shut Your Eyes and after the song ended the crowd kept singing the part to his amazement and amusement.
That was a great moment. It was nice to see some love for the opening act. I admit that I was not looking forward to Snow Patrol and was very tempted to skip them completely, but I'm glad I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeU2 View Post
BTW, I got dropped off and picked up, but I'm curious to know how long it took everyone to get there and leave?
It took us about an hour to get out of the lot (P6) and onto Route 1, and then another 2½ hours to drive 4 up Route 1 to get to 95 which is about 4 miles. It was ridiculous. That God I don't have to do that drive after tomorrow's show.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
The Fly

Its just unreal what these guys do. They take everything to a new level with their music. The ability to lift so many spirits, involve so many people and do that for as long as they have truely amazes me. From the multitude of celebrities always at their shows to the people who probably would spend their last buck and wait overnight for them, everyone loves U2. Its nice to have something pleasent to come together for in such a hectic world isnt it? I had an absolutely amazing time, I just wish the stage was a little bit lower as I was on the Edges side and was basically stuck seeing the top of their heads until they came over that way, which they did enough so it was cool. Thats what the screens for, right Brian!? Had a nice conversation with one of the workers there. He said U2's management estimated 120,000 people there tonight. Wow. Bonos voice almost scares me. I think he went a little overboard (which I LOVE because he sounded awesome) but it scares me because I want to see this band many more times hopefully for many more years and he MUST damage his voice going all out like that every 2-3 nights for 5-6 months. I guess the fact that he let the crowd sing a lot was likely due to him realising he cant take it TOO far. I loved hearing "The Unforgettable Fire". I wish they would have done "Bad", "Out of Control" or "I will Follow" because I have been listening to those a lot lately and I have always wanted to hear "Until the End of the World" but Im not sure how often they do those anymore. You could tell the band really appreciated the participation as it got pretty cold after being hot most of the day. How anyone can stand in that line all day and go back for another is beyond me lol. The preshow line woes, as you guys mentioned were pretty bad. Actually, I probably would go tomorrow if I had another $40 to spend on parking but really dont. Too bad theres not a big U2 Tour Bus that picks uo fans and brings them to the concerts locally . That lot is a nightmare. After about 20 minutes we realized we werent going to move and went up to Davios. I was suprised more people didnt do the same? The bar was full but they had a near empty lounge and plenty of space. Maybe everyone went somewhere else?

Anyways, around 1:00 they had a random rush towards the front in which people way in the back were able to sneek their way up. I saw a good amount of people who were behind me. One thing that really hurt the line was the people at the very front who had wristbands or whatever from last night. There was one woman, who stood up (standing up is bad in itself because everyone from #15 or so in line and on had to stand and be squished for 4:45 while those people sat down/layed down) and yelled at A LOT of people. 2 guys were berated for, what seemed to me to be no reason. Some other people almost got themselves kicked out for bringing alchohol apparently. Except for this, and the Patriots game on as they lost it bigtime . The songs were very good and there were some funny/memorable moments as well. Do all of the concerts get filmed like they did tonight? I noticed a little camera being brought back and fourth filming the show. Just curious if when they put a DVD together they film every show and just use certain/the best versions? I would love to have a copy of this show if they ever make them available.

I havent been down to Gillette since they put in the new Patriots Place, and all the new things around there. What a great place. I hope they host more concerts. Maybe U2 will come back? or are they doing indoor shows next time around? Would LOVE to see them back at the Garden as its much closer to me and faster to get in/get out of. It looked like a lot of people tailgated, cooking some good food and just enjoying the very nice day we all had.

As far as Snow Patrol, I was very impressed. I felt really bad for the lead singer because he said that one show they did, no one sang along to any of their songs and that they felt really embarassed. After they said that everyone really got into it and he actually was so happy that the singing continued he started singing but walked away from the mic crying! But hey, it was tears of joy!

Ill post some pictures I took, including my ones with.....Bono. Hmm, , pics with Bono after the concert? We shall see...
Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
I think I'll come back with a review later. I had an absolutely amazing time.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #8
The Fly

I cant even believe I took this first picture lol!

After the show:

And I cant get the Bono pic to load
Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Thanks for the pics and reviews!

We got an audio stream and we were pretty excited about TUF & NYD. It must have been an awesome night.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
The Fly

What a show! I'm deathly ill and functioning on 1 hours sleep on a train back to NYC, but I'm still deliriously happy! They are simply incredible. How can you go wrong? I sort of lost it during The Unforgettable Fire. Did they even play that? Maybe I hallucinated, it's one of my favorites and I wasn't expecting it. My brother's favorite is New Years Day, so between the two of us we were happy ducks, haha

But anyways, there are better people than me to review the music. I had a great experience. I was in the Red Zone (#1) and it was such a smooth and stress free process. I wrote a bit about it in the Red Zone thread.

Here are the best of my pictures from last night. I'll be (most likely) putting more up throughout the day, so if you'd like to check back on my Flickr you'll see more.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
The Fly

Some more...

Hope everyone had a great time! Here's the link to my flickr where I'll be putting pictures. I think these are the only ones that came out well, but I'll have to look better later after my 3 hour class then massive nap.

Flickr: Danielle Whalen's Photostream
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In Larry Land...Mr. Mullen has dragged me over to the dark side. Who knew this place was made of hardwood floors :P
Sounds like it was an awesome show!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In Larry Land...Mr. Mullen has dragged me over to the dark side. Who knew this place was made of hardwood floors :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonogirl777 View Post
I think I'll come back with a review later. I had an absolutely amazing time.
Oh yeah it was your first show...I want details hun
Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Babyface

Hi! I went last night and the show was AMAZING. . .as always! I get goosebumps just thinking about it. I'm totally biased. . .don't think I've ever seen a bad U2 show and I've been to a TON. Anyway, tonight is the first time I'm trying GA. I've always been too afraid to take the risk and I've always bought "good" seats. Then I see all the people down front jumping and thinking, "I want to be one of those people!" It's hard jumping and yelling your head off in a section, but I always do it, anyway. Well, my question is, where did everybody park? I'm leaving shortly to get in line, but the regular Gillette parking lots won't be open. I don't want to be towed or anything and I CERTAINLY do NOT want to sit in traffic for four hours again tonight. Any suggestions? I so DESPERATELY want to get down front and just jump and dance and sing the night away!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 02:52 PM
an_cat.
I LOVE the 7th one, Bono walking. Wow, great pics.