September 17th, 2009: Toronto (show 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
180 for RZ is not bad
...hell the proximity of the bathroom with my bladder is worth 50 bucks alone....

kinda funny to see myself in the video clip when the lifted the boy up....posted the photo above so perhaps his parents will find it...a few other photos...did not take too many since my point and shooot is a pile of garbage...

U23.jpg

u210closeenoughtotakle.jpg

U29.jpg

U25.jpg

I was in RZ1 for TO1 and got chatting with a lady and her daughter, they paid north of $600.00 each (OUCH). I paid just under the top priced seated ticket, so I felt pretty good about it- $180.00 is a great deal.
TO2 ROCKED from the pit! So if you were at both shows you got: UTEOTW,YBR,STAY,MW and NYD (am I missing any?), along with all the regularly played standout songs.
Sept 2009...forever remembered!
Cheers,

yeah rd4thdl TO@ rocked big time. I hope you guys had a great time. Wife and I enjoyed it i was on adams side. The ring was crowded but great spirit.
Did you guys party afterwards. my feet gave up on me we craweld to the station

...I paid just under the top priced seated ticket, so I felt pretty good about it- $180.00 is a great deal....

i was watching very closely during the auctions and was checking close prices at other concerts...and just hedging...i already had two GA's in hand so i was just trying to trade up but not too much more...

i had already been shut out of the first RZ by a little...i was willing to go to $250 without batting an eye...a few horeshoes help also...

my belly was so full of brew it was just adrenalin that kept me going...and my bladder from exploding...

it was so rocking in the pit....

...went home since the sitter was with our 2.5 yr old...did not want to keep her even more and to be honest, i did not need any more alcohol....also, did not know anyones faces so i did not want to walk around smashed and asking them if they are interferencers...

I met a few interferes in line. Anyway im hoping no saturday wife is in the moor for the Hideout on Queen. Thought im still recovering slowly.
What a show TO 2 was im still comeing down slowly form it

yeah rd4thdl TO@ rocked big time. I hope you guys had a great time. Wife and I enjoyed it i was on adams side. The ring was crowded but great spirit.
We sure did smiley (have a great time that is). As for after we went to JA, but didn't see anyone, and it was packed and we needed to SIT, so headed back in the direction of our car and just stopped at the Lonestar for some food- wouldn't exactly call that partying- seems I spent my energy quota the night before (U2 + Hideout), and didn't have much left after.
Anyways loved the whole week- leadup to finish and wish I had unlimited time/budget to go elsewhere, but lets hope for a 2010 return.
Cheers,
PS- I'm going to the leaf game on Saturday..if I can talk my brother into another Elevation dose (we just saw them on the 29th) I may show up at the hideout (again).

It's obvious, based on a sketchy view of the comments here that I need to explain why it's wrong to be obnoxious at concerts.

For everyone to enjoy a show equally, we all have to exercise a bit of restraint. If everyone sang and shouted all the time, no one would hear anything. Those who interrupt the performance either visually or aurally are doing it because they are in control of their own actions and can rely on most to not interfere with their experience when they actually want to hear and see the band. I doubt they’d want to only look at people’s hands and cameras or only hear the audience singing for the entire concert. So, the whole basis for their behavior is hypocrisy; they want to do what they hope others will not. My way of enjoying myself didn't interfere with anyone else's senses. It was not based on hypocrisy, but equality. I get the sense a lot of people at concerts would like it to be this way, but are afraid or think it's rude to fight for equal rights. We all have to do our part to make concert going more civil and actually about the performance and not some jackasses chance at getting drunk or proving they're louder than everyone else.

I also wanted to add something to my political review to hammer home missed opportunities to criticize Canadian foreign policy:

U2 completely missed an opportunity to comment on the humanitarian disaster and sight of Israeli war crimes that is Gaza. While Brian Eno took a stand in denouncing Israeli actions, U2 played it safe and simply advocated a cease-fire. Well, the cease-fire came, but Gaza is still being blockaded illegally and people have been suffering without medical attention since January. More topically, PM Stephen Harper has moved to the right of the US in being the only country to fully endorse the Israeli massacre of over 1,300 Palestinian civilians without any reservations.

The US has offered to send back Canadian citizen Omar Khadr to Canada, but the Harper government has refused, despite the Canadian Supreme Court demanding that it does accept him back. Khadr has been detained since 2001 in Guantanamo Bay for allegedly killing a US soldier; what is often omitted, except in a CBC interview with the family, is that Khadr was only in Afghanistan at the urging of his fundamentalist father (who surely shaped his outlook) and that US soldiers began firing at him and his friend first, that they killed his friend, and, out of fear, he shot back. He was only 15 years old and has been tortured at Guantanamo Bay.This is unacceptable for any Canadian government to accept, as it was for the Liberal government to allow Maher Arar to be extraordinarily renditioned to Syria to be tortured.

More recently, CBC has exposed that Canada exports asbestos to countries like India where it infects and kills those who come in contact with it because working conditions are so poor. When it comes to all these kinds of behavior, Bono is wrong in stating, as he did tonight, that “the world needs more Canadas.”

All shows have cameras, so in case this one had more than usual I doubt it's for the DVD, for usually that info gets leaked out prior to the show.

U2 missed an opportunity to support my political belief :blahblah:

"U2 completely missed an opportunity to comment on the humanitarian disaster and sight of Israeli war crimes that is Gaza. While Brian Eno took a stand in denouncing Israeli actions, U2 played it safe and simply advocated a cease-fire. Well, the cease-fire came, but Gaza is still being blockaded illegally and people have been suffering without medical attention since January. More topically, PM Stephen Harper has moved to the right of the US in being the only country to fully endorse the Israeli massacre of over 1,300 Palestinian civilians without any reservations."

Would you rather that Israel did not exist as a state??? Do you really belive that the attack was unprovoked.

"The US has offered to send back Canadian citizen Omar Khadr to Canada, but the Harper government has refused, despite the Canadian Supreme Court demanding that it does accept him back. Khadr has been detained since 2001 in Guantanamo Bay for allegedly killing a US soldier; what is often omitted, except in a CBC interview with the family, is that Khadr was only in Afghanistan at the urging of his fundamentalist father (who surely shaped his outlook) and that US soldiers began firing at him and his friend first, that they killed his friend, and, out of fear, he shot back. He was only 15 years old and has been tortured at Guantanamo Bay.This is unacceptable for any Canadian government to accept, as it was for the Liberal government to allow Maher Arar to be extraordinarily renditioned to Syria to be tortured"

An un-uniformed soldier is not given protection under the Geneva pact. The question is was Khard guilty or not. The question is why was he in afghanistan anyway, if his loyalty is with Afghanistan its not with Canada. So the british soldiers shot on hims unprovoked, i guess he should have worn his Canadian Passport then soi they would know he is Canadian. Im sorry he was in the wrong place, he probably or probably did not kill a soldier, he was not in uniform and as such is denied the rights of a soldier under the Geneva Pact.

More recently, CBC has exposed that Canada exports asbestos to countries like India where it infects and kills those who come in contact with it because working conditions are so poor. When it comes to all these kinds of behavior, Bono is wrong in stating, as he did tonight, that “the world needs more Canadas.”

When Bono said the world needs mor Canada's he was specifically refering to 3rd world debt reduction and nothing else.

All in all Sunday Bloody Sunday has not realtion what so ever with Iran. Iran is a nuclear power to be, why is it that the US will not attack them, they did so for iraq on far less grounds.

Burma is probably the only valid political cry that they should be on.

It's obvious, based on a sketchy view of the comments here that I need to explain why it's wrong to be obnoxious at concerts.

For everyone to enjoy a show equally, we all have to exercise a bit of restraint. If everyone sang and shouted all the time, no one would hear anything. Those who interrupt the performance either visually or aurally are doing it because they are in control of their own actions and can rely on most to not interfere with their experience when they actually want to hear and see the band. I doubt they’d want to only look at people’s hands and cameras or only hear the audience singing for the entire concert. So, the whole basis for their behavior is hypocrisy; they want to do what they hope others will not. My way of enjoying myself didn't interfere with anyone else's senses. It was not based on hypocrisy, but equality. I get the sense a lot of people at concerts would like it to be this way, but are afraid or think it's rude to fight for equal rights. We all have to do our part to make concert going more civil and actually about the performance and not some jackasses chance at getting drunk or proving they're louder than everyone else.

I also wanted to add something to my political review to hammer home missed opportunities to criticize Canadian foreign policy:

U2 completely missed an opportunity to comment on the humanitarian disaster and sight of Israeli war crimes that is Gaza. While Brian Eno took a stand in denouncing Israeli actions, U2 played it safe and simply advocated a cease-fire. Well, the cease-fire came, but Gaza is still being blockaded illegally and people have been suffering without medical attention since January. More topically, PM Stephen Harper has moved to the right of the US in being the only country to fully endorse the Israeli massacre of over 1,300 Palestinian civilians without any reservations.

The US has offered to send back Canadian citizen Omar Khadr to Canada, but the Harper government has refused, despite the Canadian Supreme Court demanding that it does accept him back. Khadr has been detained since 2001 in Guantanamo Bay for allegedly killing a US soldier; what is often omitted, except in a CBC interview with the family, is that Khadr was only in Afghanistan at the urging of his fundamentalist father (who surely shaped his outlook) and that US soldiers began firing at him and his friend first, that they killed his friend, and, out of fear, he shot back. He was only 15 years old and has been tortured at Guantanamo Bay.This is unacceptable for any Canadian government to accept, as it was for the Liberal government to allow Maher Arar to be extraordinarily renditioned to Syria to be tortured.

you don't get out much, do you?

I don't think U2 would be happy with the kind of concert atmosphere Muldfeld wants. They thrive on an energetic crowd.

While I can appreciate wanting a non-obnoxious crowd, I would not want to go to a concert where it would be considered inappropriate for me to scream, yell, cheer and jump around. That's how I express my joy at a rock concert.

"U2 completely missed an opportunity to comment on the humanitarian disaster and sight of Israeli war crimes that is Gaza. While Brian Eno took a stand in denouncing Israeli actions, U2 played it safe and simply advocated a cease-fire. Well, the cease-fire came, but Gaza is still being blockaded illegally and people have been suffering without medical attention since January. More topically, PM Stephen Harper has moved to the right of the US in being the only country to fully endorse the Israeli massacre of over 1,300 Palestinian civilians without any reservations."

Would you rather that Israel did not exist as a state??? Do you really belive that the attack was unprovoked.

"The US has offered to send back Canadian citizen Omar Khadr to Canada, but the Harper government has refused, despite the Canadian Supreme Court demanding that it does accept him back. Khadr has been detained since 2001 in Guantanamo Bay for allegedly killing a US soldier; what is often omitted, except in a CBC interview with the family, is that Khadr was only in Afghanistan at the urging of his fundamentalist father (who surely shaped his outlook) and that US soldiers began firing at him and his friend first, that they killed his friend, and, out of fear, he shot back. He was only 15 years old and has been tortured at Guantanamo Bay.This is unacceptable for any Canadian government to accept, as it was for the Liberal government to allow Maher Arar to be extraordinarily renditioned to Syria to be tortured"

An un-uniformed soldier is not given protection under the Geneva pact. The question is was Khard guilty or not. The question is why was he in afghanistan anyway, if his loyalty is with Afghanistan its not with Canada. So the british soldiers shot on hims unprovoked, i guess he should have worn his Canadian Passport then soi they would know he is Canadian. Im sorry he was in the wrong place, he probably or probably did not kill a soldier, he was not in uniform and as such is denied the rights of a soldier under the Geneva Pact.

When Bono said the world needs mor Canada's he was specifically refering to 3rd world debt reduction and nothing else.

All in all Sunday Bloody Sunday has not realtion what so ever with Iran. Iran is a nuclear power to be, why is it that the US will not attack them, they did so for iraq on far less grounds.

Burma is probably the only valid political cry that they should be on.
I actually think a peaceful, non-apartheid Israel could be economically useful to the Palestinian people.
First, the agreement between Israel and Hamas was to end rocket fire in return for an end to the blockade. According to Jimmy Carter in this Charlie Rose interview
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/10027
Hamas reduced its rocket fire to an area that barely had any inhabitants and fired one rocket a day. Israel barely reduced the blockade, while Hamas massively reduced its bombing and only killed one civilian in weeks, if not months. Yes, this kind of massive over-reaction that killed 10 times as many Palestinians as Israelis died was unprovoked. Even if you advocate getting rid of Hamas, attacking innocents with bombs is completely unjustifiable. Israel also used DIMEs and white phosphorous. These are war crimes. Israel blames Hamas for killing its very few civilians, but then blames it for Palestinian deaths. By Israel's logic, shouldn't the state of Israel accept blame for its citizens dying? Israel has consistently violated Palestinian rights, including the recent construction of a wall into Palestinian land and confiscation of Palestinian farmers' land. And Israeli settlements are being built up to the wall, so they're just gonna extend it further to protect them, too.

Brian Eno courageously said it very well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NOYOZzEu-4

Regarding Khadr, this talk about uniformed and non-uniformed combatants is typical Bush administration rhetoric to avoid human rights. The US has violated Geneva and Harper is intent on continuing that and in discriminating against Muslims and pushing forth a Zionist agenda to win rightist Jewish votes in Canada and because he is a racist.

Khadr was a teen and was raised by a fundamentalist family. No child can avoid being pulled in that direction; it takes a really strong person to say no to your father, who forcibly took him to Afghanistan. It's about environment.

I don't think U2 would be happy with the kind of concert atmosphere Muldfeld wants. They thrive on an energetic crowd.

While I can appreciate wanting a non-obnoxious crowd, I would not want to go to a concert where it would be considered inappropriate for me to scream, yell, cheer and jump around. That's how I express my joy at a rock concert.
I'm all for screaming and shouting between songs. That's totally fine. I just want to hear and see the performance fully, you know?

Can't argue with your arguments except to say that a great many of the folks I saw dancing & singing last night seemed to be having a great time and probably wouldn't have been bothered by others doing the same. I'm someone who gets annoyed with others invading my personal space... can't stand "close talkers" :D but I check that expectation at the door of a rock and roll show... you may have enjoyed yourself more if you did the same. What I enjoyed most about T2 was the spirit of the fans :up:

For everyone to enjoy a show equally, we all have to exercise a bit of restraint. If everyone sang and shouted all the time, no one would hear anything.

But we could hear everything. I really think it's an overreaction when you say people singing around you somehow got in the way of you hearing Bono. Last night was loud, louder than the Dublin shows I attended, and even then I could still hear the band clearly over other people's (and my own) singing. :shrug:

Maybe you should consider having seats next time, it might be a more comfortable atmosphere but no matter where you go you won't be able to get away from people singing and enjoying themselves. It's a U2 show, what do you expect?

As for people being disrespectful and loud during shows, agreed. That's what caused the Beatles to stop touring. We don't a repeat of that, do we?

RE: the Canadian asbestos - are you sure it's not just snow? They look similar, you know.

I guess I am a really obnoxious person, at To 1 I was bouncing, singing ,screaming through the whole damn thing!! Why? Because it had been the 2nd time I had been to a U2 show..I have been a fan for over 20 years and I just could not contain myself...I had an immensely good time and if that means I spoiled it for someone who has seen them numerous times and only goes to criticize, well, I cannot apologize...Next time I will do the same thing. So don't stand by me if you don't plan to have fun:)

Same here, people would hate me. I jump up and down, and sing every single lyric, on the bright side, my voice is usually shot three songs in, so my singing isn't that loud.

The first night I actually had to tone it down because the people around me were so lame, and that was up front in the circle. Last night I was around a few other U2 freaks, and it was a blast.

After battling traffic on the 401 (again) we managed to make it into to the Dome just after 6 pm. We immediately went to the circle entrance (thanks to Interference intel that suggested we could get in fairly late) on the Edge's side and were told that it was full but to try the other side. We ran (literally) over to the other side, got in no problem (there were still room for another 150 people at 6:15 pm) and grabbed a spot on the rail. BTW, I was pretty much considered a rock star when we told the rest of our group to get over the circle b/c there was still room (must people I talked to today couldn't believe we got in or thought you needed special tix).

Anyway, we had a fantastic time and enjoyed the atmosphere in the circle much more than our time in the "sea of sitters" up in 536 the night before.

Some random things ...

Loved the open Dome (that combined with the stage setup made it so much better than the feel for Popmart).

Seemed strange that we couldn't see the CN Tower from the circle (one of the highlights of the night before, for sure).

From up top, I thought the bridges moved automatically but the security guards actually had to push them around.

A guy got kicked out of the pit on our side for hanging from the bridge as they were moving it. The security guys had to pull him down.

Two girls were also removed from the circle b/c one of them peed in a cup.

Security in the circle was tight (mingling in the crowd) and the group was enthusiastic (but well behaved). I was tapped on the shoulder once toward the end of the show and told not to videotape.

Anyway, it our sixth U2 show and definitely a night to remember (so glad we did GA even though we knew that we wouldn't be able to line up early due to work and family commitments).

Pics turned out okay (got a few good ones), but this was definitely on of my favourites:

P1040454.jpg
[/IMG]

I've started putting a few vids up on YouTube so I'll try to post those here soon!

I havent slept in nearly 30 hours since I had to work a few hours after the end of the show, but Toronto 2 was fucking awesome. I was inside the pit on the outer rail. Its hard to describe, but there was this crazy vibe going on in there for the first 30 minutes or so. With the band all over the place, it kept people from squashing toward the front of the stage. People had room to move about and dance and it was such an awesome atmosphere. I've never experienced that at a concert before. The beginning of the show, with Space Oddity and the way the smoke started filling the arena gave me chills. Anyone else notice that the lights on the CN tower were synced with the lighting for the opening of the show??? How cool was that??!?! I wanted to make it out to the Overdraught afterward to meet some of you guys, but there was a line up by the time I got there. However, I did recognize some of you on the opposite side of the railing during the concert. Kafrun, I recognized you from your profile pictures and also one of the girls you were with (couldnt remember her user name though). Was gonna say hi, but figured it would be kinda weird since you'd have no idea who I was. You guys probably thought I was a freak show, because I looked over several times trying to see if there was anyone else there I might know of. You guys were nearly straight across the catwalk from me. Maybe I'll end up in some pics. Anyway, it was such a solid performance. the only thing I could even say negative is that I dont think Moment of Surrender is a good closer :( Great song live, just not for the last song. Besides that :rockon: ....now time for some sleeps :yawn:

I had the time of my life. :love:I sang every song from my seat! I was quiet about it though!:wink: I I got tearyeyed a few times,even when I first got there and saw The Claw for the first time!
The show was amazing. Yes there were a few technical problems but they played through it. It was funny when The Edge was having an issue with his guitar and Bono tried to keep the crowd busy and then started the 'Edge, Edge, Edge" rallycheer! LOL
The light show was awesome!! That coupled with the CN tower lights was breathtaking.
I always think "I wish they did this song or that song"when I am here watching the setlist grow but while I was part of the party at Roger's last night, I did not care what they played...I was beyond thrilled!!:heart:
It was my husband's first show...and he said it will not be his last. The crowd around us were mostly great. While waiting for the show to begin, a couple in front of me put on their own show...a naming calling fight over a bag of popcorn!! Too funny!!! LOL It helped pass the time til Major Tom began.
As soon as Larry could be seen walking to the steps, my section stood cheering and stayed standing for the entire show.
Snow Patrol, IMO were great. It must be hard to open for U2 but Gary Lightbody has a sense of humour and was entertaining.
I am sad my time with U2 is over after waiting 170 days but there is always Montreal ( or Buffalo??)to come....for me AND hubby!!:hug:
I think in future I will try and not follow the setlists so closely before my show. I was able to count to the second, when something would happen...all because of YouTube!:lol: I think I want to be surprised next time.I had the time of my life...oh right I said that already:cute:

buy the DVD and stay home then

A little harsh, maybe? but the correct solution.

Everyone I've talked to preferred the second show, and the better crowd is one of the reasons.

The only benefit of the lame crowd was that I was able to stand 10 feet away from Bono all night and I only walked into the circle 10 minutes before U2 went on.

As for people being disrespectful and loud during shows, agreed. That's what caused the Beatles to stop touring. We don't a repeat of that, do we?

Bono was lying when he said he 'didn't want to go home' due to the atmosphere then?

Please!

As for not trolling the setlists n' stuff before-hand, its far more enjoyable when you don't know what's coming next... you'll see next time what I mean!

Great Show but Moment of Surrender is not a good choice to close the show with!

Back
Top Bottom