September 16, 2009 - Rogers Centre Toronto - Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also, did anyone have any problems bringing in SLR cameras with detachable lenses ?

Thanks.

A guy in front of us was told to stop taking pictures twice. But we were in the 7th row on the aisle, so security could easily see him. On the other hand, they noticed a woman smoking but did nothing to stop her :angry:

As for the rest of the show, fantastic. Especially since nearly everyone in front of me was sitting, I'm talking about YOU, Blackberry employees.. you rock for leaving before Streets. The sound was incredible, the roof open was PERFECT. And the "Alison" snippet was the best thing EVER :heart:

Only sad part are my feet, damn that grated floor in the stands. Everything went smoothly, Snow Patrol was really good. We know exactly were we are standing for GA for show 2, but I'm not giving out any secrets :wink:

What a great show. Even though I pretty much knew what the show was going to be, you really don't realize how awesome this tour is until you see it. Great Energy, Elvis Costello Snippets all over the place, and of course Your Blue Room.

8426_159836250481_643035481_4111318_7687275_n.jpg

8426_159835905481_643035481_4111311_4986649_n.jpg

8426_159835015481_643035481_4111288_6943891_n.jpg

8426_159835585481_643035481_4111308_7826508_n.jpg

A guy in front of us was told to stop taking pictures twice. But we were in the 7th row on the aisle, so security could easily see him. On the other hand, they noticed a woman smoking but did nothing to stop her :angry:

As for the rest of the show, fantastic. Especially since nearly everyone in front of me was sitting, I'm talking about YOU, Blackberry employees.. you rock for leaving before Streets. The sound was incredible, the roof open was PERFECT. And the "Alison" snippet was the best thing EVER :heart:

Only sad part are my feet, damn that grated floor in the stands. Everything went smoothly, Snow Patrol was really good. We know exactly were we are standing for GA for show 2, but I'm not giving out any secrets :wink:

Stop taking pictures with a SLR camera ? I believe they are allowed ?
I got an email from Rogers Centre saying that no professional cameras are allowed. I don't think my NIkon D40 is concerned a professional camera.

Speaking of knowing where to stand for GA. I am going with my aunt she wants her own space so we are going all the way to the back to enjoy the show. However, I was hoping to stand in the centre section. I saw a little bit of video on the news and I believe I saw a sound mix station in the centre so they may make me think twice. Also, it seemed jam packed in the 5 and 7 o'clock sections. If you move all the way to 9 o'clock then it seems to thin out, but at that point you lose quite a bit of viewing angle and probably sound. Can anyone give me a pointer on where I should stand with my aunt ?

Thanks.

Your Blue Room
Unforgettable Fire
Ultraviolet

I was so happy. I'd avoided setlist spoilers the whole tour and I'm so happy I did. I was also happy that the idiot woman in front of me was disinterested enough to stop flailing her arms so high up (well above the top of her head) that it blocked my view. It's hard to connect emotionally when someone's hands keep inserting themselves into your view. Also, the screaming "whoo" during quiet parts of songs was annoying, but wasn't nearly as bad as the bitch behind me screaming literally at the top of her lungs every few minutes at the Radiohead concert. In both cases, this behavior continued -- although much lessened -- after I asked the women in question to please either stop moving their hands so high up that it obstructed my view of the band and the screen or to stop screaming during the songs.

I must say every one else around me at the U2 concert behaved extremely well.

Anyway. I digress. Hearing those songs made me so happy. I actually cried during Ultraviolet because it reminded me of dark times and listening to the song over and over and discovering some guitar bit The Edge did during the chorus.

Thank you, U2!

Also, the new songs (except "Get On Your Boots" and that awful remix of "I'll Go Crazy") sounded amazing. They were a lot more fun to hear than City of Blinding Lights and (yuck) Vertigo.

Ending the concert with "Moment of Surrender" was nearly as great as starting it with "Breathe" (I love that drum intro!).

Even if I was in the 100s, I'm so glad the band did the claw screen thing. They were so small even if I could see their entire bodies.

Also, Snow Patrol suck. They're as bad as Coldplay. I still enjoy "Run" and the front man was very fun to watch in his chatter, but the music was so dull that I had to leave.

One last thing I got myself out of bed to say was that the intro music after "Space Oddity" that atu2.com said was called "Kingdom" sounds really good! Very synth heavy. Can't fracking wait for the new album!

I was disappointed that U2 used "Sunday Bloody Sunday" to comment on the violence in Iran. Although I think the Iranian regime is terrible, it's a situation that North American audiences can't affect, except in negative ways. That is, their governments are going to use more anti-Muslim country rhetoric, especially in Canada where the Harper government really has it in for Muslims and has moved far to the right of the US nowadays in refusing to take back Omar Kadr and in backing the attacks on Gaza without reservation.

It makes me wonder what the point is in commenting on the atrocities of other countries when the audience in question can't affect them for the better. It's more likely to make audiences advocate militaristic policies toward Iran (as the Republicans seem to be doing) and that's not what reformers want.

I'm not saying U2 shouldn't speak about injustice, but I can't help but feel upset that U2 is avoiding the elephants in the room like Israel's actions or US and Canadian foreign policy in the Middle East because that would actually be controversial. So, what's the point? You're just telling North American audiences what they already get too much of from CNN -- that the Iranian regime is bad -- but totally ignoring what the US did to Iran or what Canada and the US are doing wrong that the audience can change.

There was a montage of Archbishop Tutu, talking about Africa. He's most recently provided a scathing critique of Israeli apartheid, but you won't hear that at a U2 concert -- because that's something business and political interests in the North America are too connected to -- things that the audience can actually do something about -- and so U2 doesn't want to take that big a risk.

Sad.

It made me think about Aung Sang Su Kyi (or however you spell her name). What's the point of all this except to make we North Americans feel morally superior? We don't treat people badly here, EXCEPT WE DO! If anything, U2 should continue to talk about how we mistreat the poor and minorities or how we provide arms. Come on, U2!

Still had a good time, though.

Guys, how was the acoustics and sound quality with the roof open, in comparison to the Pop Tour 1997 when the dome was closed? Or sound quality of other artists you may have experienced at the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) before. Skydome was notoriously famous for having very poor sound. However, I cannot wait to experience for the first time the roof retracted for a concert tonight for myself. :up:

Seriously, I'm hoping tonight's show brings me back to my favorite open-air U2 concerts (1987 & 1992) memories in Toronto at the old CNE Stadium (R.I.P.) :(

Your Blue Room
Unforgettable Fire
Ultraviolet

I was so happy. I'd avoided setlist spoilers the whole tour and I'm so happy I did. I was also happy that the idiot woman in front of me was disinterested enough to stop flailing her arms so high up (well above the top of her head) that it blocked my view. It's hard to connect emotionally when someone's hands keep inserting themselves into your view. Also, the screaming "whoo" during quiet parts of songs was annoying, but wasn't nearly as bad as the bitch behind me screaming literally at the top of her lungs every few minutes at the Radiohead concert. In both cases, this behavior continued -- although much lessened -- after I asked the women in question to please either stop moving their hands so high up that it obstructed my view of the band and the screen or to stop screaming during the songs.

I must say every one else around me at the U2 concert behaved extremely well.

Anyway. I digress. Hearing those songs made me so happy. I actually cried during Ultraviolet because it reminded me of dark times and listening to the song over and over and discovering some guitar bit The Edge did during the chorus.

Thank you, U2!

Also, the new songs (except "Get On Your Boots" and that awful remix of "I'll Go Crazy") sounded amazing. They were a lot more fun to hear than City of Blinding Lights and (yuck) Vertigo.

Ending the concert with "Moment of Surrender" was nearly as great as starting it with "Breathe" (I love that drum intro!).

Even if I was in the 100s, I'm so glad the band did the claw screen thing. They were so small even if I could see their entire bodies.

Also, Snow Patrol suck. They're as bad as Coldplay. I still enjoy "Run" and the front man was very fun to watch in his chatter, but the music was so dull that I had to leave.

One last thing I got myself out of bed to say was that the intro music after "Space Oddity" that atu2.com said was called "Kingdom" sounds really good! Very synth heavy. Can't fracking wait for the new album!

I was disappointed that U2 used "Sunday Bloody Sunday" to comment on the violence in Iran. Although I think the Iranian regime is terrible, it's a situation that North American audiences can't affect, except in negative ways. That is, their governments are going to use more anti-Muslim country rhetoric, especially in Canada where the Harper government really has it in for Muslims and has moved far to the right of the US nowadays in refusing to take back Omar Kadr and in backing the attacks on Gaza without reservation.

It makes me wonder what the point is in commenting on the atrocities of other countries when the audience in question can't affect them for the better. It's more likely to make audiences advocate militaristic policies toward Iran (as the Republicans seem to be doing) and that's not what reformers want.

I'm not saying U2 shouldn't speak about injustice, but I can't help but feel upset that U2 is avoiding the elephants in the room like Israel's actions or US and Canadian foreign policy in the Middle East because that would actually be controversial. So, what's the point? You're just telling North American audiences what they already get too much of from CNN -- that the Iranian regime is bad -- but totally ignoring what the US did to Iran or what Canada and the US are doing wrong that the audience can change.

There was a montage of Archbishop Tutu, talking about Africa. He's most recently provided a scathing critique of Israeli apartheid, but you won't hear that at a U2 concert -- because that's something business and political interests in the North America are too connected to -- things that the audience can actually do something about -- and so U2 doesn't want to take that big a risk.

Sad.

It made me think about Aung Sang Su Kyi (or however you spell her name). What's the point of all this except to make we North Americans feel morally superior? We don't treat people badly here, EXCEPT WE DO! If anything, U2 should continue to talk about how we mistreat the poor and minorities or how we provide arms. Come on, U2!

Still had a good time, though.

Yeah Iagree with your political commentaryy 100% it pissed me off big time, we cannot and have no right to claim moral high ground.

Great show.
GOt to the dome fomr work at about 5:00pm was ta the back of line 15. Gates opened at about 5:30. Once i got in i made it to the inside circle edge side at the back 2nd row form the back rail. I was leaning on the rail with one hand when i needed to. I dont see the point in lining up early if you can get in anyway unless you want to meet interferers and all that
Snow patrol was nice.
U2 Rocked.
Bono put his heart into it. The bridges moving over head were trippy as well as bono sitting on stage and on the ramps.
Bono was really interacting with thsoe in the fornt on the GA both on inside and outside the inner and outer circle.
to get the effect of the calw one needs to be by the sound board though.
Crowd by and large seems very quiet but thats usually Toronto.
Bono missed cathing the steering wheel twice once at UV other at WOWY.
He said we would get something new but we didnt, though when DAllas was doing sound prep for guitar i swear i heard Mysterios Ways
Me thinks it will make entry on set list today

Guys, how was the acoustics and sound quality with the roof open, in comparison to the Pop Tour 1997 when the dome was closed? Or sound quality of other artists you may have experienced at the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) before. Skydome was notoriously famous for having very poor sound.

The last time I saw a show at Skydome was Radiohead and this must be like 6 years ago now? The roof was closed and I thought the sound was terrible.

Can't complain about last night though, at least from the floor...wonder how it was up in the seats.

Great show.
GOt to the dome fomr work at about 5:00pm was ta the back of line 15. Gates opened at about 5:30. Once i got in i made it to the inside circle edge side at the back 2nd row form the back rail. I was leaning on the rail with one hand when i needed to. I dont see the point in lining up early if you can get in anyway unless you want to meet interferers and all that
Snow patrol was nice.
U2 Rocked.
Bono put his heart into it. The bridges moving over head were trippy as well as bono sitting on stage and on the ramps.
Bono was really interacting with thsoe in the fornt on the GA both on inside and outside the inner and outer circle.
to get the effect of the calw one needs to be by the sound board though.
Crowd by and large seems very quiet but thats usually Toronto.
Bono missed cathing the steering wheel twice once at UV other at WOWY.
He said we would get something new but we didnt, though when DAllas was doing sound prep for guitar i swear i heard Mysterios Ways
Me thinks it will make entry on set list today

Huh?? You guys got Your Blue Room. How is that not something new??

so, what time are people going to pick up (red) zone tix, and then going to the show? don't wanna be there ages early for nothing but don't wanna miss out either!
so excited for toronto2 tonight!!!!!! first ever show of U2.:cute:

SITTING???????? No way!!! What was wrong with those people???:doh::doh:
Tonight is my night. I am so excited!!:applaud:

I was in the pit, outer rail, Adam's side, great spot, just high traffic area for jerks making beer runs (I will never understand why people pay for a ticket to not watch the show, and then try to get back into the crowd). Picked this spot cause we figured we would see more of the screen, and the band on the catwalk. Was it just me, or were they stuck like glue to the main stage last night??

Set List was amazing! no complaints here at all.

Hubby took pictures for me, got some great shots. I'll post them later after I finish uploading them to my computer.

People in line were fun, have to give a big shout out to Roberto and Israel from withashout (I couldn't find a proper link, so if I have the site name wrong let me know) Mexico fan site! Roberto even found us after the show to ask us what we thought, and to say goodnight. :wave::wave:

I cried through most of the first half, wasn't expecting that lol. People were looking at me and wondering if I was going to be alright lmao:lol: nothing wrong just a very overwhelming experience.

Bono walked over us on the Bridge!!!! Adam smiled at us when he walked by on the catwalk, but we missed him doing the splits during Breathe (currently looking for that pic) as said Bridge was in our way. Didn't see a whole lot of Edge or Larry though :sad:. Oh and people picked up that I was an Adam girl right away! (I wonder how? lmao)

I think I will definitely do G.A. again (nothing compares to it I think). I've just been burned twice (other time was in '01) with people who would rather be on their phones, or getting beer. I mean at one point I wanted to scream it was sooooo frustrating having an otherwise awesome moment interrupted from being blocked, butted, and having beer nearly split all over you.

But otherwise last night was definitely an experience I will not soon forget.

did Snow Patrol start right at 7 pm ?

What time did U2 start ? 9 pm ?

I am trying to meet up with my aunt but she doesn't get off work until 6 pm so by the time she gets in it will be closer to 7 pm if not after depending on the GA line up at Gate 15. I will be in there before she gets there, I am hoping to stand out in the open around 8 o'clock floor area. Do you think she will see me or are there going to be way too many people ? I am just hoping there will be not that many people at 7 pm because they don't want to see Snow patrol.

thank you.

My review from last night (Toronto 1)

Had a great time last night. It's my 3rd U2 show over 3 tours and all 3 times I've had GA floors! We arrived at the stadium at about 7:30pm.

Rather than ramble, I'll highlight the highs and lows of the whole experience.

Highs
  • Amazing sound. Sonically, I'd say the best I've ever heard at a stadium/arena show. Mostly crystal clear but also loud enough to feel you're at a rock concert.
  • The Claw. I think enough has been written about the stage, but it's just a wonder to behold!
  • Bono's voice. Definitely the best I've heard Bono sing in the 3 shows I've attended. I was expecting the worse since last time I saw them was also during the film fest and he looked pretty hung over and rough. Last night he was definitely on his game in top form.
  • Your Blue Room. Beautiful with amazing visuals and "feel". The stage production matched the song perfectly and with the spoken word ending... just wow.. That's the U2 that I fell in love with.
  • Stay (Faraway so close). Another beautiful song. Acoustic. Edge played really well on this one.
  • The weather. Perfect summer night for a show with a nice cool breeze coming in. Felt like a picnic.
  • GA views. Once on the floor (see below) the GA experience was great. We didn't push at the stage but hung back and took in the whole show and was able to see everything and really get a great experience. The stage is high enough that floor views are great.
  • Bono mentioned that Elvis Costello was in attendance so they really played up the snippets of his music during the show. I like little things like that to make each show special.

Lows
  • Organization. GAs get treated like dirt until you actually reach the field. They funnel everyone through 1 outside gate, which resulted in a long wait to get in. The kicker though is that once you are inside, you are still nowhere near the inside gate you need to be to get to the floor, and nobody tells you where to go (gate 113). So again, you are funnelled to one small gate and it's just a crush of people. Me and my wife had beer spilt on us, my foot was run over by a wheelchair and we both got knocked by a guy pushing a garbage bin through the mess. It took half an hour to get through the gate once we were INSIDE. For a good while there we were wishing we had seats instead of floors.
  • Too many new songs. This is subjective for sure, but there are really only 3 songs off the new CD that I really like, opening with 4 new ones straight is a buzz killer and it seemed when they got on a roll it'd die with some stupid remix of a new song. They are well played for sure and beefed up with good production but I'd be happier if they played more good songs (I'm not even about playing more hits, but how much better would the setlist be if they took out Boots, No Line and Crazy Tonight and replaced them with Bad, Acrobat and First Time?)
  • Connection. I don't think U2 really connected with the cold fish Toronto audience last night. Toronto audiences can be tough, especially in such a large venue but U2 never got on the roll needed to keep people on their feet and engaged. Obviously this doesn't apply for people in the claw, it's easy to stay engaged when they are playing 3 feet in front of you!
  • We missed most of the encore because there was NO WAY we were going to stick around till the show ended to try to get out of the Rogers Centre at the same time as the other 60,000 people. Our experience coming in was horrible enough we just didn't trust that it wouldn't be another cluster----.

Just a note, U2 took the stage just before 9pm

Hope those going tonight have a great time!

If you missed the first encore i really pity you.
Toronto Crowd for my first u2 show on day one in 2205 was like this kinda loserish non singing type, I was in GA so it didnt matter, but hwen Willie turned on the lights it was a sit down festival.
I hope today iwll be better, casue yesterday most of the tickets were for the Blackbaerry suits crowd who probablycame casue they got free tickets and dint give a rats about u2

so, what time are people going to pick up (red) zone tix, and then going to the show? don't wanna be there ages early for nothing but don't wanna miss out either!
so excited for toronto2 tonight!!!!!! first ever show of U2.:cute:

walked down to pick mine up about 10 minutes ago...i work downtown and was not sure when i would get out of here...

funny, they just give you the bands and tickets..so much for preventing resale of the RZ tix....

line over at gate 15 looked to be less than 200...actually, there were not too many people there IMO...

My hostess in Toronto and I got two $100 tix for $40 from a guy who had two spares and was happy to get anything for them. They were front row up on the third tier towards the back of the stadium.

Some quick random observations:

1) the sound was great - and very loud. Larry's bass drum especially was thunderous, like a booming bass in a trance club.

2) the CN Tower has fantastic hourly light displays which were amazing to watch during the concert. I'll stick a couple of vids below.

3) Bono said that the world needs more countries like Canada because he had hassled their Prime Minister so much he'd agreed to give more aid to Africa.

4) they were a bit less lively than Chicago 2, not using the outer stage so much but Bono is interacting with the audience more from the start, trying to work the atmosphere up, especially before NLOTH and with some cheeky, irreverent band intros before ISHFWILF

5) Your Blue Room is sooooo downtempo but I like it a lot, mucho mucho

6) there were a LOT of empty seats around, either not sold out or there were very many no-shows

7) the atmosphere wasn't too great, many people spent the entire gig on their arses. My area only got up on their feet during Streets.

Hope these vids work - apologies in advance for crap video production skills!

YouTube - U2 CN Tower Toronto - No Line On The Horizon

YouTube - U2 CN Tower Toronto - Get On Your Boots

YouTube - U2 CN Tower Toronto - City of Blinding Lights

YouTube - U2 CN Tower Toronto - Vertigo

Lows
  • We missed most of the encore because there was NO WAY we were going to stick around till the show ended to try to get out of the Rogers Centre at the same time as the other 60,000 people. Our experience coming in was horrible enough we just didn't trust that it wouldn't be another cluster----.

my review of your review...

low: you left early :down:

-dan

My review from last night (Toronto 1)

[*]We missed most of the encore because there was NO WAY we were going to stick around till the show ended to try to get out of the Rogers Centre at the same time as the other 60,000 people. Our experience coming in was horrible enough we just didn't trust that it wouldn't be another cluster----.
[/LIST]

Wow. So sad to miss the encore. Did you watch Ultraviolet at least? Why skip out on 3 songs when that's 10-15% of your show? Why not just hang out afterwards to miss the crowd?

We missed most of the encore because there was NO WAY we were going to stick around till the show ended to try to get out of the Rogers Centre at the same time as the other 60,000 people. Our experience coming in was horrible enough we just didn't trust that it wouldn't be another cluster----.[/LIST]

You skipped the encore to avoid traffic?

:huh:

I honestly can not understand why people leave early just to not be "caught" in traffic. I mean, these concerts only happen every 4 or 5 years and they last about 2 hours. Why bother??? Seriously.

Back
Top Bottom