September 16, 2009 - Rogers Centre Toronto - Canada - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:39 AM
September 16, 2009 - Rogers Centre Toronto - Canada

Pics please (and of course reviews and stories too )

Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 12:39 PM
also, did anyone have any problems bringing in SLR cameras with detachable lenses ?

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmiele View Post
also, did anyone have any problems bringing in SLR cameras with detachable lenses ?

Thanks.
A guy in front of us was told to stop taking pictures twice. But we were in the 7th row on the aisle, so security could easily see him. On the other hand, they noticed a woman smoking but did nothing to stop her

As for the rest of the show, fantastic. Especially since nearly everyone in front of me was sitting, I'm talking about YOU, Blackberry employees.. you rock for leaving before Streets. The sound was incredible, the roof open was PERFECT. And the "Alison" snippet was the best thing EVER

Only sad part are my feet, damn that grated floor in the stands. Everything went smoothly, Snow Patrol was really good. We know exactly were we are standing for GA for show 2, but I'm not giving out any secrets
Old 09-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Babyface

What a great show. Even though I pretty much knew what the show was going to be, you really don't realize how awesome this tour is until you see it. Great Energy, Elvis Costello Snippets all over the place, and of course Your Blue Room.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #5
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison0313 View Post
A guy in front of us was told to stop taking pictures twice. But we were in the 7th row on the aisle, so security could easily see him. On the other hand, they noticed a woman smoking but did nothing to stop her

As for the rest of the show, fantastic. Especially since nearly everyone in front of me was sitting, I'm talking about YOU, Blackberry employees.. you rock for leaving before Streets. The sound was incredible, the roof open was PERFECT. And the "Alison" snippet was the best thing EVER

Only sad part are my feet, damn that grated floor in the stands. Everything went smoothly, Snow Patrol was really good. We know exactly were we are standing for GA for show 2, but I'm not giving out any secrets
Stop taking pictures with a SLR camera ? I believe they are allowed ?
I got an email from Rogers Centre saying that no professional cameras are allowed. I don't think my NIkon D40 is concerned a professional camera.

Speaking of knowing where to stand for GA. I am going with my aunt she wants her own space so we are going all the way to the back to enjoy the show. However, I was hoping to stand in the centre section. I saw a little bit of video on the news and I believe I saw a sound mix station in the centre so they may make me think twice. Also, it seemed jam packed in the 5 and 7 o'clock sections. If you move all the way to 9 o'clock then it seems to thin out, but at that point you lose quite a bit of viewing angle and probably sound. Can anyone give me a pointer on where I should stand with my aunt ?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
The Fly

Sound is excellent all around. Even the sides!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Your Blue Room
Unforgettable Fire
Ultraviolet

I was so happy. I'd avoided setlist spoilers the whole tour and I'm so happy I did. I was also happy that the idiot woman in front of me was disinterested enough to stop flailing her arms so high up (well above the top of her head) that it blocked my view. It's hard to connect emotionally when someone's hands keep inserting themselves into your view. Also, the screaming "whoo" during quiet parts of songs was annoying, but wasn't nearly as bad as the bitch behind me screaming literally at the top of her lungs every few minutes at the Radiohead concert. In both cases, this behavior continued -- although much lessened -- after I asked the women in question to please either stop moving their hands so high up that it obstructed my view of the band and the screen or to stop screaming during the songs.

I must say every one else around me at the U2 concert behaved extremely well.

Anyway. I digress. Hearing those songs made me so happy. I actually cried during Ultraviolet because it reminded me of dark times and listening to the song over and over and discovering some guitar bit The Edge did during the chorus.

Thank you, U2!

Also, the new songs (except "Get On Your Boots" and that awful remix of "I'll Go Crazy") sounded amazing. They were a lot more fun to hear than City of Blinding Lights and (yuck) Vertigo.

Ending the concert with "Moment of Surrender" was nearly as great as starting it with "Breathe" (I love that drum intro!).

Even if I was in the 100s, I'm so glad the band did the claw screen thing. They were so small even if I could see their entire bodies.

Also, Snow Patrol suck. They're as bad as Coldplay. I still enjoy "Run" and the front man was very fun to watch in his chatter, but the music was so dull that I had to leave.

One last thing I got myself out of bed to say was that the intro music after "Space Oddity" that atu2.com said was called "Kingdom" sounds really good! Very synth heavy. Can't fracking wait for the new album!

I was disappointed that U2 used "Sunday Bloody Sunday" to comment on the violence in Iran. Although I think the Iranian regime is terrible, it's a situation that North American audiences can't affect, except in negative ways. That is, their governments are going to use more anti-Muslim country rhetoric, especially in Canada where the Harper government really has it in for Muslims and has moved far to the right of the US nowadays in refusing to take back Omar Kadr and in backing the attacks on Gaza without reservation.

It makes me wonder what the point is in commenting on the atrocities of other countries when the audience in question can't affect them for the better. It's more likely to make audiences advocate militaristic policies toward Iran (as the Republicans seem to be doing) and that's not what reformers want.

I'm not saying U2 shouldn't speak about injustice, but I can't help but feel upset that U2 is avoiding the elephants in the room like Israel's actions or US and Canadian foreign policy in the Middle East because that would actually be controversial. So, what's the point? You're just telling North American audiences what they already get too much of from CNN -- that the Iranian regime is bad -- but totally ignoring what the US did to Iran or what Canada and the US are doing wrong that the audience can change.

There was a montage of Archbishop Tutu, talking about Africa. He's most recently provided a scathing critique of Israeli apartheid, but you won't hear that at a U2 concert -- because that's something business and political interests in the North America are too connected to -- things that the audience can actually do something about -- and so U2 doesn't want to take that big a risk.

Sad.

It made me think about Aung Sang Su Kyi (or however you spell her name). What's the point of all this except to make we North Americans feel morally superior? We don't treat people badly here, EXCEPT WE DO! If anything, U2 should continue to talk about how we mistreat the poor and minorities or how we provide arms. Come on, U2!

Still had a good time, though.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
The Fly

Guys, how was the acoustics and sound quality with the roof open, in comparison to the Pop Tour 1997 when the dome was closed? Or sound quality of other artists you may have experienced at the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) before. Skydome was notoriously famous for having very poor sound. However, I cannot wait to experience for the first time the roof retracted for a concert tonight for myself.

Seriously, I'm hoping tonight's show brings me back to my favorite open-air U2 concerts (1987 & 1992) memories in Toronto at the old CNE Stadium (R.I.P.)
Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
Your Blue Room
Unforgettable Fire
Ultraviolet

I was so happy. I'd avoided setlist spoilers the whole tour and I'm so happy I did. I was also happy that the idiot woman in front of me was disinterested enough to stop flailing her arms so high up (well above the top of her head) that it blocked my view. It's hard to connect emotionally when someone's hands keep inserting themselves into your view. Also, the screaming "whoo" during quiet parts of songs was annoying, but wasn't nearly as bad as the bitch behind me screaming literally at the top of her lungs every few minutes at the Radiohead concert. In both cases, this behavior continued -- although much lessened -- after I asked the women in question to please either stop moving their hands so high up that it obstructed my view of the band and the screen or to stop screaming during the songs.

I must say every one else around me at the U2 concert behaved extremely well.

Anyway. I digress. Hearing those songs made me so happy. I actually cried during Ultraviolet because it reminded me of dark times and listening to the song over and over and discovering some guitar bit The Edge did during the chorus.

Thank you, U2!

Also, the new songs (except "Get On Your Boots" and that awful remix of "I'll Go Crazy") sounded amazing. They were a lot more fun to hear than City of Blinding Lights and (yuck) Vertigo.

Ending the concert with "Moment of Surrender" was nearly as great as starting it with "Breathe" (I love that drum intro!).

Even if I was in the 100s, I'm so glad the band did the claw screen thing. They were so small even if I could see their entire bodies.

Also, Snow Patrol suck. They're as bad as Coldplay. I still enjoy "Run" and the front man was very fun to watch in his chatter, but the music was so dull that I had to leave.

One last thing I got myself out of bed to say was that the intro music after "Space Oddity" that atu2.com said was called "Kingdom" sounds really good! Very synth heavy. Can't fracking wait for the new album!

I was disappointed that U2 used "Sunday Bloody Sunday" to comment on the violence in Iran. Although I think the Iranian regime is terrible, it's a situation that North American audiences can't affect, except in negative ways. That is, their governments are going to use more anti-Muslim country rhetoric, especially in Canada where the Harper government really has it in for Muslims and has moved far to the right of the US nowadays in refusing to take back Omar Kadr and in backing the attacks on Gaza without reservation.

It makes me wonder what the point is in commenting on the atrocities of other countries when the audience in question can't affect them for the better. It's more likely to make audiences advocate militaristic policies toward Iran (as the Republicans seem to be doing) and that's not what reformers want.

I'm not saying U2 shouldn't speak about injustice, but I can't help but feel upset that U2 is avoiding the elephants in the room like Israel's actions or US and Canadian foreign policy in the Middle East because that would actually be controversial. So, what's the point? You're just telling North American audiences what they already get too much of from CNN -- that the Iranian regime is bad -- but totally ignoring what the US did to Iran or what Canada and the US are doing wrong that the audience can change.

There was a montage of Archbishop Tutu, talking about Africa. He's most recently provided a scathing critique of Israeli apartheid, but you won't hear that at a U2 concert -- because that's something business and political interests in the North America are too connected to -- things that the audience can actually do something about -- and so U2 doesn't want to take that big a risk.

Sad.

It made me think about Aung Sang Su Kyi (or however you spell her name). What's the point of all this except to make we North Americans feel morally superior? We don't treat people badly here, EXCEPT WE DO! If anything, U2 should continue to talk about how we mistreat the poor and minorities or how we provide arms. Come on, U2!

Still had a good time, though.
Yeah Iagree with your political commentaryy 100% it pissed me off big time, we cannot and have no right to claim moral high ground.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
War Child

Great show.
GOt to the dome fomr work at about 5:00pm was ta the back of line 15. Gates opened at about 5:30. Once i got in i made it to the inside circle edge side at the back 2nd row form the back rail. I was leaning on the rail with one hand when i needed to. I dont see the point in lining up early if you can get in anyway unless you want to meet interferers and all that
Snow patrol was nice.
U2 Rocked.
Bono put his heart into it. The bridges moving over head were trippy as well as bono sitting on stage and on the ramps.
Bono was really interacting with thsoe in the fornt on the GA both on inside and outside the inner and outer circle.
to get the effect of the calw one needs to be by the sound board though.
Crowd by and large seems very quiet but thats usually Toronto.
Bono missed cathing the steering wheel twice once at UV other at WOWY.
He said we would get something new but we didnt, though when DAllas was doing sound prep for guitar i swear i heard Mysterios Ways
Me thinks it will make entry on set list today
Old 09-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTaR1ngatTheSuN View Post
Guys, how was the acoustics and sound quality with the roof open, in comparison to the Pop Tour 1997 when the dome was closed? Or sound quality of other artists you may have experienced at the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) before. Skydome was notoriously famous for having very poor sound.
The last time I saw a show at Skydome was Radiohead and this must be like 6 years ago now? The roof was closed and I thought the sound was terrible.

Can't complain about last night though, at least from the floor...wonder how it was up in the seats.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymbcastard View Post
Great show.
GOt to the dome fomr work at about 5:00pm was ta the back of line 15. Gates opened at about 5:30. Once i got in i made it to the inside circle edge side at the back 2nd row form the back rail. I was leaning on the rail with one hand when i needed to. I dont see the point in lining up early if you can get in anyway unless you want to meet interferers and all that
Snow patrol was nice.
U2 Rocked.
Bono put his heart into it. The bridges moving over head were trippy as well as bono sitting on stage and on the ramps.
Bono was really interacting with thsoe in the fornt on the GA both on inside and outside the inner and outer circle.
to get the effect of the calw one needs to be by the sound board though.
Crowd by and large seems very quiet but thats usually Toronto.
Bono missed cathing the steering wheel twice once at UV other at WOWY.
He said we would get something new but we didnt, though when DAllas was doing sound prep for guitar i swear i heard Mysterios Ways
Me thinks it will make entry on set list today
Huh?? You guys got Your Blue Room. How is that not something new??
Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #13
War Child

Concert pics (not mine)

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Girl1978 View Post
Huh?? You guys got Your Blue Room. How is that not something new??
Chicago got it first not new on tour
Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
War Child

whats the line up like today i saw time run from ga afte show back to gate 15 to line up. why tim why