September 15, 2010 - Olympic Stadium - Munich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Some quickie random comments from a McDonalds in Paris.)

Last night was my first time hearing I Will Follow since the Vertigo tour, and it was feckin fabulous. Funny how absence makes the warhorses become better. I'd completely forgotten what a high octane noisy bastard of a song it was in concert. And it got an equally loud cheer as Beautiful Day, I think the Munich crowd knew their U2 back catalogue.

The other mega stand out was Mercy, it's beautiful live. There were obviously some big Mercy fans as I spotted some people jumping up and down and waving their hands happily when it began.

So from U2's first track of their first album to an unreleased track, interesting, n'est ce pas?

The field was divided up into lots of new sections with additional barriers. I think the local promoter had a couple of areas behind the walkway for their own guests to use. The main body of the GA crowd was behind this.

The funniest moment of the show was when the crowd in the pit kept on singing after the end of North Star to Bono's amazement. He obviously doesn't read any forums though cos he then claimed that no-one would know the next song, Mercy. (I'd love to see his reaction if he was told that U2 fans are criticising him for changing the lyrics.)

After Bono tangoed with Karina at Zurich 1 during IALW, last night he scanned the crowd on the front rail during the song, shielding his eyes from the spotlights. He didn't bring anyone up though. But he did acknowledge the people in the front row at many points during the concert, waving at them and tapping his chest.

The most intense moment was during Miss Sarajevo when Bono was on the slowly moving bridge, facing me directly whilst singing the operatic solo, which was quite breath-taking.

It was also great being back in a city that goes nuts to Streets, compared to the relatively low-key responses in Moscow and Istanbul.

I moved from the field to the top of the stairs at the back of the stadium for the encore, just to remind myself how utterly gorgeous the Claw is for Ultraviolet and WOWY. Bono was swinging on the wheel mic for ages, actually missing a lot of the lyrics for WOWY, but the crowd filled in the gaps.

Bono told the crowd the result of the Bayern Munich v Roma match (2-0 to Bayern) before Moment of Surrender, and then revealed he was wearing a Bayern top under his laser jacket. (I wonder how all the Italian U2 fans in the pit reacted!)

A great gig, I especially loved the new oldies and the new newies.

I still can't decide whether it's too selfish to wish for more NLOTH songs (NLOTH, Breathe, Unknown Caller) WITH the new songs. Can't we have both please ...?

well, some body needs to infrom bono and rest of the band of varius U2 forums, and that we know setlist on internet as fast as the crowd :lol:

I still can't decide whether it's too selfish to wish for more NLOTH songs (NLOTH, Breathe, Unknown Caller) WITH the new songs. Can't we have both please ...?

My thoughts precisely!! Throw in a little Out of Control and the night would be complete for me, although it's pretty darn close now. Of course, there's no pleasing everyone, but I must say I'm really excited to see how the band has mixed up the sets on this Euro leg. Just the "not knowing what they're going to play next" is exciting and must be even more so for you since you've seen/will see so many shows.

Keep the reviews coming, Cathal...and don't eat too many Big Macs!!

Thank you Cathalm for posting your comment,
you`ve found the right words.:applaud:
I`ve attend the show with some friends, two Italian friends included and we`ve celebrated a big party in the FOS area, The Italians (Roma fans) weren`t not so sadly about hearing the result of the football match, because the show have them put in heaven and me too.
Maybe I try to put some pictures into the gallery, but a bit later than now.

bye

I'm so happy I could hear Mercy and North star live in Muncih :happy: :applaud: :heart: It was amazing concert and Bono wearing Bayern Munich t-shirt was perfect :D I'm not Bayern fan but it was amazing :up:
btw. I've already uploaded my pics to the gallery :wave:

What a show. I feel so blessed to have been there. What a great set and relaxed band. Even the wheather was fine for most part of the show, only light rain from time to time, I didn't even notice.
Before the show I went up to the platform of the Olympic Tower - it was horribly windy and a little scary up there, but I managed to take some amazing pictures of the Olympic park with the stadium and the claw in it.

At the show, I had the best spot you can have, directly at the catwalk. I actually saw more of the band than at any other show when I was in the front of stage area. I'm so glad I decided not to go into the circle this time. Entrance was as expected, they didn't open all the gates at the same time, possibly to avoid chaos on the stairs, but we got in quite quickly, even though it was a little scary because people who had to wait were really starting to get annoyed. Running down the many steps was tough, but I got the spot I wanted and I enjoyed the show so much.

There was a strike in public transport that day in Munich, just as I expected, because with the U2 concert and the Champions League game there were two major events in the city that evening and of course a strike actually takes place when it hurts the most. There were about 150.000 people expected at both events so the media was full with horrible stories about the total chaos they expected in the evening. However, it wasn't as bad since most trains were actually operating, and I was lucky to have a hotel nearby, I walked to the stadium and back again, I quite enjoyed the little walk at night and used it to reflect the concert and just cool down a little.

The concert was officially sold out, the circle was quite packed and there was a second GA area behind the catwalk, I had already seen it from above when I was up on the tower. The area was also quite full and tight, at least where I was standing. People were in good mood and I met some guys from my home country, we had a great time together and talked about U2 and our various concert experiences. They were casual fans and didn't know much about the band and the tour - I had to tell them the names of Dallas and the other techs who were on stage before the show started - but they were so much in awe at the show and couldn't believe how great it was. That was just very nice to see :)

One Republic were great, again, but I think it's a shame they rely on playing cover versions to get the audience going instead of their own material. I still feel "Stop and stand" sounds very U2-ish, that's the song I like most. Bono gave some very nice shout-outs to the band later on in the show.

Hearing the new stuff and MOTD was so amazing, it was more than I had hoped for. Also, we got a full set, unlike Zurich, and Bono was singing beautifully, his voice being in great shape.

I am still very much excited about the concert, spent a couple of days in Munich and Salzburg afterwards and can't wait to download the bootleg. Now I'm off to bed since I got so little sleep last week, but I'll post more impressions and some of my photos next week, if I find the time. I'll never forget that show in Munich :)

Thank you for your review, last unicorn! It really made me feel how great the show was (along with your photos). I actually expected that show to be great and I was waiting for reviews from it. I'm really happy for you! :) *and hoping the snow in Rome will be that good too* :D

Thank you for your review, last unicorn! It really made me feel how great the show was (along with your photos). I actually expected that show to be great and I was waiting for reviews from it. I'm really happy for you! :) *and hoping the snow in Rome will be that good too* :D

A-nun-walks-in-St_-Peters-002.jpg

:lol:

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to my first U2 gig in the snow.

That's the only weather condition I haven't experienced at a stadium concert so far.

MULTICAM PROJECT

I'd like to edit a multicam for Helsinki I+II, and also Munich (and Athens likely) as no one else stepped forward to say he/she'll do it.

I already have got quite some sources and am going through youtube at the moment, sending out messages and getting positive replies already.

If you also filmed something (preferably in HD) please contact me so we can make something great for this tremendous concert.

I already did a multicam for Frankfurt:
YouTube - U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name (Frankfurt 2010) -MULTICAM DRAFT-

Back
Top Bottom