September 13 - Chicago Soldier Field

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suzanneb

The Fly
A couple pics and a link to a video of Ultraviolet:

P1010141.jpg

P1010142.jpg

Ultraviolet - Chicago Sept 13

Just got back to hotel. Walked into inner circle at almost 7pm got wristband and was just forward of Adams side. Unbelievable location and didn't wait a bit in any line. Dan was outside on Adams side 8 deep or so. Great night and one of my best U2 shows out of 39.

2nd row in front of edge.

ummm.. So Bono pointed and screamed "You" to me. hahahhahah

Tonight was the best U2 concert I have ever been to! I can't even really put into words just how amazing it was.

This was my 10th U2 concert, and this just might have been the best. I'm still smiling. As good as last night's show was, tonight was just perfect.

This weekend was truly a 'born again' experience as far as my U2 fandom goes.

Our secction 441, 30 dollar seats were absolutely incredible.

How great was tonight's show: The setlist, the fan energy, the ferocious performance by the band, and finally, how magically the band really worked the stadium vibe, something nearly impossible that U2 make seem effortless.

How great is this tour?

Will try to say more after some sleep.

Tonight was the best 2 hours of my life, let alone the best U2 concert.

I may have spent 12 hours in the beating 100 degree sun patiently, but I was 2nd row in front of bono.

What i didnt like though was the way they treated GA, waiting under the underpass was ridiculous. Also what i found ridiculous was that two guys snuck in the rope under GA and acted like they were with my friends. So not only do my friends and i look like major d-bags, i was afraid i would lose my spot when the guards got them.

What i found to be disappointing were some of the U2 fans. Of course I am not steryotyping but at least the people I met were real assholes in line. For instance, I went to go sit down and this woman yelled at me and made a scene because she thought i was trying to cut.

Who has the nerve to yell at a 16 year old for absolutely no reason? That was stupid and ridiculous.

Other then that I had a great time in the GA area when we got into the stadium, I met many people that were kind, most of them not even from the chicago area.

If anyone has pictures of bono in front of the stage, send them because I was 2nd row from him. thanks.

GA Last Night

SEATS Tonight:applaud:

What a big difference!

Tonight's Show was a 10 last night a 9 only b/c my heels hurt so bad & clowns in pit & to close of proximity

FANTASTIC SHOW Tonight from start to finish

With SEATS we had plenty of room were surrounded by what seemed to be mature individuals no drunks stumbling through every ten seconds & the row I was in NO ONE left early only one time did anyone come through having the rest of us stand the guy sitting next to Stacey did not bump into her at all

Good boy:up::up: LOL

Tonight was GREAT ! GREAT ! GREAT ! For those w/ tickets to upcoming shows get ready b/c it is an experience

Amazing Grace before Streets was very very moving for me I can remember seeing U2 for the first time on 12/10/05 Vertigo Cleveland Ohio just seeing them LIVE for the first time brought tears to my eyes as well as the intro to Streets that night & tonight was no different don't ask me why but that intro still gets to me:sad:

Bono was on fire tonight running a full lap at top speed which reminded me of Cleveland again during UTEOTW and also did a jog w/ a small boy

Pics from tonight

I have posted a bunch of my pics on my twitter account.

jcmiko

Enjoy.

Let me know if you like them. :)

This weekend was truly a 'born again' experience as far as my U2 fandom goes.

Our secction 441, 30 dollar seats were absolutely incredible.

How great was tonight's show: The setlist, the fan energy, the ferocious performance by the band, and finally, how magically the band really worked the stadium vibe, something nearly impossible that U2 make seem effortless.

How great is this tour?

Will try to say more after some sleep.

Anu you are 100% correct there was something different about tonight over night one :up:

jesus fucking christ.

sure, i've had to endure elevation twice, one twice, i still haven't etc twice, but in return i got your blue room, bad, ultraviolet, the unforgettable fire, stay, until the end of the world and all of the excellent new songs.

great, great show. great weekend.

This was my first U2 show. I have waited probably ten years until I could afford tickets.

I decided not to camp out, because I didn't want my girlfriend to endure that. We showed up around 6 PM. There wasn't much a queue...just a long mob of fans. I heard no bitching from people. Everyone seemed to accept that we were the last in line and that we would be in the back. HA! We were wrong.

I even took a piss and I had a fantastic spot of the view...just a few rows back from the outer rail.

We only had to wait an hour for Snow Patrol to rock Chicago! They were unbelievably fantastic. I hope they go on to do very well! After Snow Patrol, it was like an hour to before U2 came on. It was noticeably a long wait, but I watched the stage crew do their thing. Some beach balls kept us GA occupied xD

The stadium was close to a sell-out. It must have been 99.9% sold out because I could only spot just maybe a few seats left open...very hard to pick out.

Kingdom opened up and then I saw Larry in his White T...and then I didn't give a fuck about anything anymore. The opening chords of Breathe saw my feet leave the ground. From the opening song I could tell that the band was going to sound perfect...and believe me they did.

Breathe, No Line on the Horizon, Get On Your Boots, and Magnificent. What a power-house of songs. Especially Boots!!! I was going nuts! No holding back. Boots sounds great in a car stereo....it owned the night in the stadium! God....what a fantastic live song!

Beautiful Day had the beautiful intro. ISHFWILF....Bono let us sing the first few verses. The energy was in the air. Bono was impressed. Elevation rocked the stadium....Everyone got off their feets.

YOUR BLUE ROOM! It sounded perfect. I can't describe any other words. There was not a single hiccup. They rehearsed it well. It felt like it was a part of the setlist for years...except it was special of course because it wasnt!

Unknown Caller was fantastic. The Edge's solo got a long cheer!

Until The End of the World....one of my favorite songs. I am so happy I heard it live. Another great song...Bono took off sprinting around the outer circle lol...If anything is evident at the concert..it's that U2 is full of fucking energy. I was toast by the first encore. BONO WAS STILL ROCKING OUT! My girlfriend was impressed by this 50 year old irish flatfoot!

They played Stay. Someone dumbass girls just pushed my gf out of the way during the song. They kept talking to each other really loud and texting...not even paying attention to the show. I planned revenge.

UF....what a light show!!! Bono's falsetto is gold. The drums are kickass. I danced my way into the girls...bumpin my butt against their hips so they felt a little harassed and moved away....props to me.

COBL, Vertigo, Crazy Tonight, SBS....WOW. The stadium was berserk...at least I was.

I was dead by the first encore. I'm so glad they started playing some slower songs...because I left all my energy in the first set of songs. They changed up the Bishop Tutu speech for One. One sounded great. I danced.

Amazing Grace was very special...I couldn't sing a long. Bono was playing in a high key....and my voice was gone. It went into Streets...and I could have sworn Soldier Field looked exactly the Slane DVD....We were flying!

Ultraviolet....its really fucking LOUD. The Edge makes the ground shake when he slides up and down the frets.

With or Without You. Well, a lot of people have opinions about how the band plays it without any energy....Yeah.....whatever. This song made the women cry and the crowd OHing impressed Bono. It was just fantastic.

MOS was the closer. Bono doesn't sing it with a weird voice. I don't care. It was beautiful. The lyrics...the passion...this is my favorite song on the new album.

PS. It was my first concert...but I think it was a special one too. Bono said he would never forget this night...maybe he says that all the time...who knows...but I know many won't. The band performed almost to perfect. We got YBR. The audience was very enthused to be there. It was just perfect!

Thank you, U2.

Twittered this last night:

"Searing, towering concert in Chicago tonight, much better sound, much better atmosphere and a setlist to cream your pants to. Lift off USA!"

An amazing concert. The atmosphere and volume from the crowd towards the end was deafening. Bono was really fired up for this gig, got the crowd going from before NLOTH with a little speech about having old songs, new songs, songs we haven't played before and asking "are you with us?"

There were a gazillion references to Chicago, how they could have opened in New York but chose Chicago, it's ok to kiss Chicago's ass etc ... All lapped up by the crowd.

The outer stage was used a lot more by all the band but especially Bono, he did a couple of sprints of the whole ring, collapsing exhausted at the end of UTEOTW, but still managing to sing Stay very passionately from his back. He brought a young boy onto the stage from the pit for a little jog around the stage during CoBL, what an experience for a young kid!

Your Blue Room was absolutely mesmerising, beautifully lulling the stadium into a quiet trance. There were no cheers or applause at the end of it, but not because it didn't work, probably because it had such a calming effect (and many probably didn't know it). It was followed by Unknown Caller and these two worked gorgeously well together.

Amazing Grace was beautiful, although Bono did bottle trying to hit the REALLY high note in the middle, and the segue into Streets was perfect. I didn't miss Pride.

I wasn't very impressed with Saturday's gig, thinking it was one of the worst I've seen on the tour. Last night's was one of the best. Lift off USA!

Your Blue Room was absolutely mesmerising, beautifully lulling the stadium into a quiet trance. There were no cheers or applause at the end of it, but not because it didn't work, probably because it had such a calming effect (and many probably didn't know it).

Yes. The songs before it just about tore the house down. Very calming and beautiful....I haven't listened to that song in a while!

Fanfeckintastic! Twice :)

This was my first U2 show. I have waited probably ten years until I could afford tickets.

I decided not to camp out, because I didn't want my girlfriend to endure that. We showed up around 6 PM. There wasn't much a queue...just a long mob of fans. I heard no bitching from people. Everyone seemed to accept that we were the last in line and that we would be in the back. HA! We were wrong.

I even took a piss and I had a fantastic spot of the view...just a few rows back from the outer rail.

We only had to wait an hour for Snow Patrol to rock Chicago! They were unbelievably fantastic. I hope they go on to do very well! After Snow Patrol, it was like an hour to before U2 came on. It was noticeably a long wait, but I watched the stage crew do their thing. Some beach balls kept us GA occupied xD

The stadium was close to a sell-out. It must have been 99.9% sold out because I could only spot just maybe a few seats left open...very hard to pick out.

Kingdom opened up and then I saw Larry in his White T...and then I didn't give a fuck about anything anymore. The opening chords of Breathe saw my feet leave the ground. From the opening song I could tell that the band was going to sound perfect...and believe me they did.

Breathe, No Line on the Horizon, Get On Your Boots, and Magnificent. What a power-house of songs. Especially Boots!!! I was going nuts! No holding back. Boots sounds great in a car stereo....it owned the night in the stadium! God....what a fantastic live song!

Beautiful Day had the beautiful intro. ISHFWILF....Bono let us sing the first few verses. The energy was in the air. Bono was impressed. Elevation rocked the stadium....Everyone got off their feets.

YOUR BLUE ROOM! It sounded perfect. I can't describe any other words. There was not a single hiccup. They rehearsed it well. It felt like it was a part of the setlist for years...except it was special of course because it wasnt!

Until The End of the World....one of my favorite songs. I am so happy I heard it live. Another great song...Bono took off sprinting around the outer circle lol...If anything is evident at the concert..it's that U2 is full of fucking energy. I was toast by the first encore. BONO WAS STILL ROCKING OUT! My girlfriend was impressed by this 50 year old irish flatfoot!

They played Stay. Someone dumbass girls just pushed my gf out of the way during the song. They kept talking to each other really loud and texting...not even paying attention to the show. I planned revenge.

UF....what a light show!!! Bono's falsetto is gold. The drums are kickass. I danced my way into the girls...bumpin my butt against their hips so they felt a little harassed and moved away....props to me.

COBL, Vertigo, Crazy Tonight, SBS....WOW. The stadium was berserk...at least I was.

I was dead by the first encore. I'm so glad they started playing some slower songs...because I left all my energy in the first set of songs. They changed up the Bishop Tutu speech for One. One sounded great. I danced.

Amazing Grace was very special...I couldn't sing a long. Bono was playing in a high key....and my voice was gone. It went into Streets...and I could have sworn Soldier Field looked exactly the Slane DVD....We were flying!

Ultraviolet....its really fucking LOUD. The Edge makes the ground shake when he slides up and down the frets.

With or Without You. Well, a lot of people have opinions about how the band plays it without any energy....Yeah.....whatever. This song made the women cry and the crowd OHing impressed Bono. It was just fantastic.

MOS was the closer. Bono doesn't sing it with a weird voice. I don't care. It was beautiful. The lyrics...the passion...this is my favorite song on the new album.

PS. It was my first concert...but I think it was a special one too. Bono said he would never forget this night...maybe he says that all the time...who knows...but I know many won't. The band performed almost to perfect. We got YBR. The audience was very enthused to be there. It was just perfect!

Thank you, U2.

FANTASTIC SHOW Tonight from start to finish

Amazing Grace before Streets was very very moving for me I can remember seeing U2 for the first time on 12/10/05 Vertigo Cleveland Ohio just seeing them LIVE for the first time brought tears to my eyes as well as the intro to Streets that night & tonight was no different don't ask me why but that intro still gets to me:sad:

That Cleveland show was definitely a great one!

Thank you, U2.

That right there pretty much sums up how I was feeling last night :applaud: I was about to cry during WOWY lol

Thank you, U2.

Excellent summary of your experience, thank you so much for the write-up!

:sad:

Twittered this last night:

"Searing, towering concert in Chicago tonight, much better sound, much better atmosphere and a setlist to cream your pants to. Lift off USA!"

An amazing concert. The atmosphere and volume from the crowd towards the end was deafening. Bono was really fired up for this gig, got the crowd going from before NLOTH with a little speech about having old songs, new songs, songs we haven't played before and asking "are you with us?"

There were a gazillion references to Chicago, how they could have opened in New York but chose Chicago, it's ok to kiss Chicago's ass etc ... All lapped up by the crowd.

The outer stage was used a lot more by all the band but especially Bono, he did a couple of sprints of the whole ring, collapsing exhausted at the end of UTEOTW, but still managing to sing Stay very passionately from his back. He brought a young boy onto the stage from the pit for a little jog around the stage during CoBL, what an experience for a young kid!

Your Blue Room was absolutely mesmerising, beautifully lulling the stadium into a quiet trance. There were no cheers or applause at the end of it, but not because it didn't work, probably because it had such a calming effect (and many probably didn't know it). It was followed by Unknown Caller and these two worked gorgeously well together.

Amazing Grace was beautiful, although Bono did bottle trying to hit the REALLY high note in the middle, and the segue into Streets was perfect. I didn't miss Pride.

I wasn't very impressed with Saturday's gig, thinking it was one of the worst I've seen on the tour. Last night's was one of the best. Lift off USA!

So glad you got to see a great one last night Cathal. On to Toronto....

Yes. The songs before it just about tore the house down. Very calming and beautiful....I haven't listened to that song in a while!

Ha ha! We were back by the sound board last night. We wanted to take in the light show as well as the concert (we were up front the night before). Anyway, the people behind me in the sound board area were really confused. I heard them asking, "what song is this???" Most, not all, were clueless and only cheered when the band played WOWY. :D

Didn't stop me from jumping around and throwing my hands in the air! :happydance:

Not much time to write right now but loved the show last night. My husband took pics, I'll have to upload some. The stage is ridiculous but in a great way and I loved the disco ball on top. I did note that if I was a few seats to my right, my view might have been blocked by one of the legs. Was in section 336, row 1. I was hesitant to stand, being in the front row. It was apparent that many in my section weren't the jumping, screaming U2-fan type, but in the end, I got up and danced anyway. Maybe my U2-snob is showing but aside from a few people next to me and a few rows back, the only time some people got up or sang was for Streets or Sunday Bloody Sunday. It was a little disappointing but then again, if I was enjoying myself what did I care?

Although I missed Saturday's show, I believe the set list last night more than made up for that :up: Ultraviolet, Stay, Your Blue Room, UF....etc. Loved it! I still cannot stand Unknown Caller though. I'm on the fence about the Crazy remix but it's got some good beats...reminds me of Pop-era stuff. Loved that Bono's voice was dead on. So cool, even falsetto. And I loved that he ran around the circle. Totally reminded me of the Elevation tour, lots of energy. The only thing I was bummed about has nothing to do with the show--I couldn't find the Soldier Field shirt in the the size I needed (sadly, S or M won't cut it for me :lol:). I can't recall so many merch stands selling out of lots of stuff like this before. It was nuts. I spent the entire time Snow Patrol was playing to look at stands. I ended up with the tote bag and the white pin--Stand Up to Rock Stars. Overall, no complaints from me. Can't wait til I go again in Raleigh in a few weeks!

ps. I was one of those people who left early. Shame on me. I left during Moment of Surrender to get a jump on the crowd and catch the train. Hey man, I gotta get up early for work :lol:

Back
Top Bottom