September 12, 2009 - Soldier Field Chicago - Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileymbcastard

War Child
HOW was the GA line up for Chicago

* Post your experiences, pics and reviews for this show here*

How was the GA line up for Chicago. I ask becasue i have a freind who reached at 5:15 pm and he claims he just walked into the gate and walked into the inner circle. He also claims that there were guys who had quened up since 7 am who were behind him. What gives???

Last edited by a moderator:
How was the GA line up for Chicago. I ask becasue i have a freind who reached at 5:15 pm and he claims he just walked into the gate and walked into the inner circle. He also claims that there were guys who had quened up since 7 am who were behind him. What gives???

They were giving out the inner circle wristbands until at least 7PM. But by then you would likely be well towards the rear of the stage and just as happy on the outside.

Please post your pictures, experiences and reviews of this show here. :drool:

lazy arent they...
on anthoer note what was the GA like. I hear that you could get into the inner circle at the sides as late as 5:30pm. So it was kind apointless to queue up at 6 am. Is this going to be the standard across all of North America.
Also heard that tthe sound board is a nice place to stand at casue you get the whole claw experince.

For Canada the GA tickets already have different entrances marked on them so we will never know which is the actual entrance, can u see the disaster happening

I dont think Soldier Field handled the whole GA thing very well...but security that handled the line during the day was very nice. What I am referring to is our admittance onto the field...it was one big cluster f...
But the band rocked ♫ so it kinda made up for it ☺

For Canada the GA tickets already have different entrances marked on them so we will never know which is the actual entrance, can u see the disaster happening

Who knows, that might make it even more orderly if two lines are entering simultaneously from opposite ends of the stadium.

I'll walk down there on my lunchbreak tomorrow and see if I can get any information on the process. Will report back tomorrow :yes:

I dont think Soldier Field handled the whole GA thing very well...but security that handled the line during the day was very nice. What I am referring to is our admittance onto the field...it was one big cluster f...
But the band rocked ♫ so it kinda made up for it ☺

Could you detail what happned in GA line. how many lines, when did door open where you were standing for the show etc

:hyper:
Could you detail what happned in GA line. how many lines, when did door open where you were standing for the show etc

yeah we arrived @ Soldier field around 2:30 sat morn couldnt find a line or anything so we pulled off property and snoozed in the car. Around 5 we moved over to the grounds and saw people walking so I dropped off my friend and went to park the car ($45) because I wanted it to be close enough to take all our crap back to it. Then they had a couple of lines going and right around 6 the tried to merge all of us didn't matter if you had wristbands or #'s but if you got there much later you would be in the sun all day. We were under the tunnel at gate 0 and were in the shade all day. Then around 2 people began taking their stuff to the car and @ 3 they gave official annoucement that there would be no leaving and re-entering the line after 4pm. Once everyones stuff was gone everyone crowded up towards the front then probably about 4:20-4:30? then put down the rope and everyone ran to the gate then filed in single file. Once in we ran but they didn't let everyone in at first probably 100-150? OMG. Then we were stopped at a gate b/c they were not ready for us on the field and told us we need wrist band to enter the field so we waited. Then all of the sudden a second group of people came running at us and they already had wristbands :angry: So then we were in a panic because they could already get to the field...it ended up working out for me though...outside of the fact they just handed me my wristband and it fell off and I nearly lost it! I would say we got to the field around 5ish? Once I was in there I kinda forgot about the mess though. Sorry if I got to wordy for you...still tired from yesterdays festivities btw- we were on Adams side right at the rail...my friend and I both commeneted though we thought they would be on the rail a little more than they were...but I guess thats what you get when its 360º

I thought I'd post in here as well, since Sicy psssst at us.

I hurt everywhere. I do have positives to speak of, which I can detail later, but I just want to warn the GA goers. Just like those who have posted before me, the GA inner circle was not cool. The view of the band from 1 person off of the back rail was great. Not much of a full screen view, but that was ok. What was not ok was the fact that there were WAY TOO MANY people in the inner circle. I don't know if it was the same in Europe, but it was uncomfortable and definitely not safe in case of emergency. Also, no thanks to the constant stream of vendors with their HUGE trays coming through the already too tight crowd every 2 minutes. We had 3 beer guys standing next to each other at one time! If you want to get in the inner circle and plan to leave it, only leave once and do it before Snow Patrol is over! Although, I don't recommend missing any of Snow Patrol! Again, there are positives, which I will post later. Understand that I am not a rookie in this department. Since the Elevation Tour, I have been in GA 12 times total, in the heart once, and in the ellipse 4 times and this was nothing like those times. It was more like being 3 off the outer rail on the Vertigo DVD filming night with the crowd smashing towards the front as much as possible and with every "winner" imaginable pushing through to "Get on the DVD!" Now that you know, you can make your own decision. Have fun! My positives will be forthcoming.

One more tip for those who do go in the inner circle. DO NOT attempt to jump up, hang on to the bridges, and go for a ride as they're moving to their next location. You will be removed immediately. Seriously, I saw this happen. Why it was a good idea to someone, I don't know.

I thought I'd post in here as well, since Sicy psssst at us.

I hurt everywhere. I do have positives to speak of, which I can detail later, but I just want to warn the GA goers. Just like those who have posted before me, the GA inner circle was not cool. The view of the band from 1 person off of the back rail was great. Not much of a full screen view, but that was ok. What was not ok was the fact that there were WAY TOO MANY people in the inner circle. I don't know if it was the same in Europe, but it was uncomfortable and definitely not safe in case of emergency. Also, no thanks to the constant stream of vendors with their HUGE trays coming through the already too tight crowd every 2 minutes. We had 3 beer guys standing next to each other at one time! If you want to get in the inner circle and plan to leave it, only leave once and do it before Snow Patrol is over! Although, I don't recommend missing any of Snow Patrol! Again, there are positives, which I will post later. Understand that I am not a rookie in this department. Since the Elevation Tour, I have been in GA 12 times total, in the heart once, and in the ellipse 4 times and this was nothing like those times. It was more like being 3 off the outer rail on the Vertigo DVD filming night with the crowd smashing towards the front as much as possible and with every "winner" imaginable pushing through to "Get on the DVD!" Now that you know, you can make your own decision. Have fun! My positives will be forthcoming.

would it be better off to try the inner circle off to the sides, or the outside rail either centre or sides, what would you recommend.
aslo im thinking of arriving circa noon 1 pm is that ok for outsdie rails on side or inside cricle sides

would it be better off to try the inner circle off to the sides, or the outside rail either centre or sides, what would you recommend.
aslo im thinking of arriving circa noon 1 pm is that ok for outsdie rails on side or inside cricle sides

If you can, I'd say to grab an outside rail. Unless they allow fewer people in the inner circle tonight than last night, there was no room to move no matter where you were. And by move, I mean shift your feet, turn your shoulder, and so on. Maybe it was just the area I was in, but it seemed like the whole circle was packed very tight.

If you can, I'd say to grab an outside rail. Unless they allow fewer people in the inner circle tonight than last night, there was no room to move no matter where you were. And by move, I mean shift your feet, turn your shoulder, and so on. Maybe it was just the area I was in, but it seemed like the whole circle was packed very tight.

Really? Where I was on Adams side, about 3 prople from the rail there was plenty of room...we were jumping up and down..moving around with ease.

yours turned out much better than mine. Mine are kinda blurry I think b/c we kept getting bumped in to :huh:

I have a bunch of blury ones as well...but I dont use the automatic settings on the camera...at concerts I always go in manual and change settings.

Really? Where I was on Adams side, about 3 prople from the rail there was plenty of room...we were jumping up and down..moving around with ease.

Maybe it was just at the back then. Everyone around us wasn't too excited about the situation, including guys who had been in line all day and obviously many more shows that I've ever been to.

I lined up with some interferencers around 6 am on Saturday. The front of the line was a bit contentious, I must say. We stopped to say hello to people we had known from previous tours and were basically yelled at and told to move to the back of the line. I would say we were about 200 people back or so.

Phil would visit us from the front of the line and give up updates. :)

The people around us were very nice and the line wide but venue security was watching it all day. Some time around noon we heard that we would be moved up after 3 pm. As the day went on we were told that the line would "close" (no more potty breaks, putting stuff away, etc)

Well, at about 10 to 4 there was a mad rush and the line turned into what you saw on my twitpics. There were cutters and people who got in line hours after us in front of us. Not to mention how close everyone was standing. They roped off the first group and brought them to the turnstyles. Apparently, they venue staff had no clue how to: a.) put on a wrist band, b.) punch a hole in a tickets, or c.)scan a ticket for entrance to the venue. I know people in the first group who didn't get their ticket scanned or get a wristband until they were inside Soldier Field.

Once inside, it was a mad dash to the floor entrance. Pushing, shoving, going through landscaping. . We were stopped again to show our punched ticket and wristbands. The first group had to be wristbanded at this point. All the while, people are taking small steps and crushing closer.

They funneled us through small gates and then it was another crazy run to the floor. They weren't counting how many people were going in the inner circle. We chose the back center 2 or 3 people off the rail. There were people on the rails that were waaaaay behind us in line so that was frustrating.

By the time Snow Patrol came on it was so tight that you could not move. Everyone was shoulder to shoulder, touching. It was hard to get your hands up without touching the person in front of you.

A guy had a seizure at the start of Bad. At first he couldn't fall down b/c there were so many people around so he was just collapsing on them. People were screaming on the venue security since we were like, 2 people off the rail and they just stood there. People in the crowd had to drag this poor guy to the rail and help get him over. It wasn't until someone, who we thing was from U2's team, came over that he got any help. this guy's poor sister was freaking out and Miroslava was comforting her and had to try to get her over the rail so she could go with him. Again, security didn't do much of anything.

I am not new to GA. This was the worst experience I've ever had. Other diehards we talked to after the show agreed. Stick to arenas in the US U2.

I'll comment on the show after I go tonight. I will say that the Crazy Tonight remix doesn't work for me. The first half is so awkward and disjointed it's hard to tell what song it is. Play the club remix at a club, not a stadium. kthnx.

Back
Top Bottom