October 9, 2009 - U2 Concert - Raymond James Center Tampa - FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Long story short...AWESOME SHOW!!! 72,000 people gathered peacefully in Raymond James Stadium. The fans in line before the show were all really nice, as per usual at U2 shows. Muse was a good opening band. After Muse, when Space Oddity came on, the stadium went ape-shit...then Kingdom for your Love...then Larry, The Edge, Bono and Adam...and Breathe. The heat index was 102-degrees in Tampa on Friday, major heat and humidity...I think this hit the band when they came out, but it quickly loosened them up too...the crowd was loud and energized and U2 steadily gained momentum. Bono commented on the Bucaneers' pirate ship in Tampa Stadium, "You've got a pirate ship, we've got a space ship." Highlights for me were Ultraviolet, COBL, Moment of Surrender, but all the songs were played with perfection and Bono's voice sounded strong (he hit the high notes with ease on One, WOWY, and Crazy Tonight). The show seemed to end too soon. The Claw is simply amazing...awesome graphics...and I felt almost as close to the band in the stadium as I've felt to them in Madison Square Garden and the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa.

I was collected by ramblinrose and her cousin from my hotel at lunchtime who not only gave me a lift to the stadium, but also gave me a GA ticket! So big big muchos gracias Rosa!

It was a furnace of a day, unbearably hot for me. When we got around to the GA line around 2pm, security had unbelievably made everyone stand up squashed together in small pens. I saw one person vomiting, and another being treated by paramedics. Just what were security thinking?

We waited to see the band drive into the stadium a bit after 4pm, Bono put his window down to wave and shout at the fans, but he didn't come out to say hello, apparently cos they didn't have enough time.

I got into the gig just at the end of Breathe cos I had to meet an ol chum Kelly and her mate to pass on two tickets. The crowd was quite thick at the back of the field where the GA entrance was, so I thought it would be a really busy field, but it was only a bottleneck as there was a lot more space further in. I actually got into the pit on Edge's side during Boots, so it's still not filling up. But I went back out to the centre of the field after ISHFWILF, as I prefer that spot with a full view of the stage to standing at the side of the pit (I could have squeezed through to the centre of the pit but didn't bother trying).

Some random observations:

- very hot gig, so the band were drinking lots of water, and Bono removed his jacket after SBS, I'm sure Mala was happy :)

- new video intro before Ultraviolet, this one has the cartoon baby face from Achtung Baby morphing into an image of the steering wheel mic; I thought it might be an intro to Zoo Station as they did on the Vertigo tour, but alas no

- the video link-up chat with the first clown in space is a very nice idea but just seemed to be a bit of an ostentatious show n tell - "hey! look! we can talk to people in space during our concert!" So there was the usual "Earth looks very beautiful but very fragile" chat

- they followed the video space station chat with Elevation which was better than In A Little While for restoring the atmosphere, although personally I think it's slipped into the "Overplayed" category, along with Mysterious Ways

- bring back Unknown Caller!

- I liked Bono's little joke that "we bought this space ship ... actually YOU bought it, we built it"

- Bono saluted the Stars n Stripes flying on the stadium after praising Florida and the US before ISHFWILF (I think), and the fluttering flag was shown on the video screen at the start of Streets too, as well as Bono dedicating Stand By Me to anyone in the audience with relatives in the American forces;

- there was a small plane with an LED display on the underside of its wings flying around during the concert with adverts, although it also had messages in Irish like "Failte Go Tampa U2" (Welcome to Tampa), and "Pog Mo Thoin" (kiss my arse - an Irish swearie word) which was a nice touch

- there was a girl on someone's shoulders in the pit during One who ignored all the security's flashlight waving to tell her to get down, you go girl!

- my mates arrived very late but managed to get a parking space at the front of the lot, we were the first out of the lot and onto the main road, so I was back at my hotel by 11:30pm, hope everyone else had no probs getting out!

- can anybody explain what Bono is on about when he brings a boy onstage for CoBL and says he's looking for the face he had before the world was made? He's giving his shades to the lucky wee chap to keep

I think Bono's reference to "looking for the face he had..." has to do with a statement he made a few years back about how different he looked when he was first in U2 (up through the 80's I believe) He said there was something about his eyes. So my interpretation of his current quote is that he's looking for that younger version of himself, the one from before his current life.

I think it's referring to some Biblical quote about God knowing you before you were born. That's just my opinion.

Anyway, I was there and I have to send out props to you folks in GA -- I know a lot of people had to leave due to dehydration, etc. It was one extremely humid Florida night (so much so it was Adam that stripped off his shirt at the end of the first round ... and then had his shirt coyly pulled up over his stomach for the final encore) :cute:

I've always said in the heat that Bono should ditch that jacket and was glad to see he did.

Really hot, but it didn't seem to deter them from putting on a great performance. They said that that show had the most people inside Raymond James stadium *ever* -- including the Super Bowl.

I posted part of this in the setlist party thread, but I'm lazy so I'll just quote it again here :reject:

My sister went to the restroom about 4 songs into U2 saying she wasn't feeling well. She came back during COBL to tell me that she was going to wait outside in the hall because it was too hot. One started playing, and the paramedics came to get me because she was dehydrated.

She's okay now and we didn't have to go to the hospital. We did get to see one of the busy medical room at RJ stadium where there were about 5 other people in the same or worse shape she was in and they were bringing in two more when we were leaving. Thanks to the paramedic guy who drove us to the car, you were great even though you had trouble starting the golf cart

On the plus side, it was probably the best show I've been to for the 360 tour and we didn't have to fight any traffic getting home.

On the other hand . . . :banghead:

Tampa

First, what a show, what a night!

It was indeed a hot day. Even for a Floridian like me, that kind of heat deserves some serious respect.

It was a great day, and despite the heat, my wife and I enjoyed our hours in the GA line. It was a pleasure to meet all of the fellow fans!

My wife is relative newcomer to U2. Being younger than I am, she grew up on late 90's Pop. But she loved it just as much as I did. Great experience for both of us.

I'm more of an old timer to tha band, and even have a joshua tree and an Achtung Baby tatooed on my leg. (I swear I was about to fall over when the baby was talking to us in his Zooropa getup. Pretty funny.)

I can sometimes tend to go on a bit, so I'll keep this brief. Just wanted to say hello to all the fellow fans, and to say what a pleasure it was to meet everyone.

Regarding the COBL thing. I've always felt that song was one about youthful exuberance, and the loss thereof as we grow older.

I have three children, and I was moved to tears to hear the things Bono was singing to that boy. No doubt the kid had no idea or real appreciation for what he was saying, but what an experience nonetheless!

If you just think about the lyrics... "Don't look before you laugh, look ugly in a photograph." To me, those are just words of wisdom for handling life. It says "Have fun. Do something light and fun. Enjoy!".

The part where he asks the little boy if he can see the beauty inside of him, to me, was a little more poignant. I think that part is very personal for Bono in the way he presented it. He's giving the kid the glasses, laying himself bare, and asking "Can you still see the kid in me". I'm not trying to read Bono's mind too much, but I see a father of four, who lost his own mother and found fame/adulthood at a very young age making a little personal connection a with a kid.

I think it is wonderful, personally. Bono is a superstar, undoubtledly one of the biggest in the world. But I think that part of the performance is a nice little glimpse at Bono as a person, father, and family man. During that part of the song he's just a father who's not with his kids, connecting with a kid from the audience. As a father myself, I think that's really cool!

That's just one guy's take on it. I'm sure other's opinions may differ.

Take Care!

My review can be found here...Random Thoughts - You've got a pirate ship, we have a spaceship.

Be warned, it's very Adam-centric. :drool:

Nice! Although copy and paste is a nifty feature of keyboards you should consider using :)

Does your hubbie never get jealous of your Adam love?

I was the sweaty Irish eejit standing just behind youse when the band entered, pity they couldn't come out for a mo, even though the sound check was actually about half an hour after they went in.

I don't know how people didn't die in that GA line around 4 pm. My friends and I drank about a gallon of water each, and by the time U2 got on stage we were alreary dehydrated again.
I'm not even one to complain about heat. I live in Miami and I've traveled around in the middle of humid summer in a car without a/c. I went to the Everglades in jeans in September, and it was still nowhere near as hot as it was. Security made a HUGE mistake in cramming us together so early on. Two people around us fainted, and that was before the lie that we would be getting inside at 5 pm. More like 5:30 pm.

It got very hot for me about ten minutes into U2's set where I kept forcin myself to breathe in deep. The biggest disadvantage to being short is that there is no fresh air at my nose level. :yikes:

complaning aside, it was an AMAZING show, but I wouldn't want to do GA next year.

We arrived at the stadium at about 5:30 and were told to get in line for wristbands. After waiting in line for a few minutes, we were told that the wristbands were gone and to just get on the GA line. We wound up centerstage about 5 rows back from catwalk with people who were waiting since 8 a.m. The show was fabulous because the crowd was fabulous. I attended the first Giants Stadium show in NY and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that the show in Tampa was even better! The heat was hard to take but the band seemed to not be bothered by it. They were sweating bullets but having a great time as was the audience. We had to take ourselves to the back of the stadium for some hydration before Ultra Violet and wound up staying there and enjoying the full view of the claw from a distance. The fans were just as loud and crazy in the back of the stadium as up front. All in all, it was a great, great night.

Nice! Although copy and paste is a nifty feature of keyboards you should consider using :)

Does your hubbie never get jealous of your Adam love?

I was the sweaty Irish eejit standing just behind youse when the band entered, pity they couldn't come out for a mo, even though the sound check was actually about half an hour after they went in.

We heard them soundchecking Elevation while we were waiting to get in while standing in the area with no shade that we were moved to back from the gates and told to stay there for 45 minutes even though the gates were supposed to open at 5 p.m. (not that I'm bitter or anything :wink: ).

The upside is that I decided to go to Oklahoma next weekend :shifty:

Yay, for non sold out shows and credit cards :reject:

Did you see Adam take his shirt off the first time they left the stage? :sexywink: We were on opposite side of the stadium, but we saw it.

I'm praying someone in GA managed to get that photographed.
I do believe my heart stopped. :faint:

And I have the most amazing husband in the world, he not only supports the Adam-love, but encourages it. He was the one who had my Mrs. Clayton hat made for me. I knew I made a good call by marrying a huge U2 fan!

I don't know how people didn't die in that GA line around 4 pm. My friends and I drank about a gallon of water each, and by the time U2 got on stage we were alreary dehydrated again.
I'm not even one to complain about heat. I live in Miami and I've traveled around in the middle of humid summer in a car without a/c. I went to the Everglades in jeans in September, and it was still nowhere near as hot as it was. Security made a HUGE mistake in cramming us together so early on. Two people around us fainted, and that was before the lie that we would be getting inside at 5 pm. More like 5:30 pm.

It got very hot for me about ten minutes into U2's set where I kept forcin myself to breathe in deep. The biggest disadvantage to being short is that there is no fresh air at my nose level. :yikes:

complaning aside, it was an AMAZING show, but I wouldn't want to do GA next year.

My sister said your post made her feel "like less of a wimp" and that it also made her feel better :hug:

I don't know how ANYBODY lived through GA. My wife and I got to RayJay Stadium at around 4:30 p.m. (we had lower-level seats but wanted to get there as early as possible). At Gate A, security took everybody out of the shade and told us to stand by the bag-check tables "for a few minutes" until they opened the gates. FORTY FIVE MINUTES LATER they opened the gates...the entire time, we were in direct sunlight while the staff and the police officers were sitting on stools under an awning drinking water (we were under the awning before they made us move). Everybody was sweat-soaked by the time they let us in...I can't imagine how people were feeling in GA. We did notice a woman on the floor collapsing (she had a crowd around her with paramedics...probably heat stroke...I guess three people went to the hospital due to heat-related illness). If there's one thing the stadium did wrong it was in their handling of the early crowd. They should have had the GA people on the East side of the stadium protected from the afternoon sun, with plenty of water and sunscreen and umbrellas. And they shouldn't have made the seated crowd move out of the shade to wait in line until, like, five minutes before opening the gates. I'm glad U2 has such patient and good-natured fans.

We heard them soundchecking Elevation while we were waiting to get in while standing in the area with no shade that we were moved to back from the gates and told to stay there for 45 minutes even though the gates were supposed to open at 5 p.m. (not that I'm bitter or anything :wink: ).

The upside is that I decided to go to Oklahoma next weekend :shifty:

Yay, for non sold out shows and credit cards :reject:

I'm so glad you are getting to go to another concert! :applaud: Have fun and stay cool.

I don't know how ANYBODY lived through GA. My wife and I got to RayJay Stadium at around 4:30 p.m. (we had lower-level seats but wanted to get there as early as possible). At Gate A, security took everybody out of the shade and told us to stand by the bag-check tables "for a few minutes" until they opened the gates. FORTY FIVE MINUTES LATER they opened the gates...the entire time, we were in direct sunlight while the staff and the police officers were sitting on stools under an awning drinking water (we were under the awning before they made us move). Everybody was sweat-soaked by the time they let us in...I can't imagine how people were feeling in GA. We did notice a woman on the floor collapsing (she had a crowd around her with paramedics...probably heat stroke...I guess three people went to the hospital due to heat-related illness). If there's one thing the stadium did wrong it was in their handling of the early crowd. They should have had the GA people on the East side of the stadium protected from the afternoon sun, with plenty of water and sunscreen and umbrellas. And they shouldn't have made the seated crowd move out of the shade to wait in line until, like, five minutes before opening the gates. I'm glad U2 has such patient and good-natured fans.

Yeah, that was ridiculous (we were also in the crowd waiting by Gate A). There was one older woman who almost collapsed and they did bring her under the awning, thank goodness. What section were you in ndmaxfield? My sister and I were in 108.

Thanks sdunn :hug:. I've been to some other shows already, but last night was so great and then it just . . . stopped, so I don't want to end this way :reject:.

I'm very fortunate I am able to go to another one and very thankful.

eta: We were in the same row as you, ndmaxfield! I saw the photo of you and Alexis on facebook and I remember her NYU shirt :lol:

Yeah, that was ridiculous (we were also in the crowd waiting by Gate A). There was one older woman who almost collapsed and they did bring her under the awning, thank goodness. What section were you in ndmaxfield? My sister and I were in 108.

Thanks sdunn :hug:. I've been to some other shows already, but last night was so great and then it just . . . stopped, so I don't want to end this way :reject:.

I'm very fortunate I am able to go to another one and very thankful.

We were also in 108, row H.

We are home! Weather was awesome at the beach all week....it was fricking H-O-T! at the concert! I do not know how the GA peeps did it last night...I would have been dead! Bono even took off his leather coat and had just a tee shirt on for the last part of the show.....so...I was really glad to be in seats last night...we were very low on Edge's side by the back claw leg....we could see everything just fine... the seats were just amazing so I could see how that cool screen worked...all 4 guys at different times went to the back of the stage and played for the peeps behind the stage...I have to say that Magnificent and Unforgettable fire were both the highlight songs for me last night....crowd was absolutely amazing...no one sat at all, ever all night...everyone around me knew all the new songs as well as the old, and everyone was singing and dancing all night...I was truly surprised how great the new songs sound live...really...i enjoyed them all...Bono forgot a few lines in Moment of Surrender...but Edge was right there to bring him back....the crowd was just electric...I mean really....it was just amazing...I have some photos...but not many...I was enjoying the concert too much to stop and shoot photos

Someone actually almost collapsed in the crowd trying to get t-shirts.....that was totally the worst part of the night for me...people need to relax in the t-shirt lines....:|

Tampa was a great show! My husband and I did GA and it was brutal. We arrived around 2pm. I couldn't believe the crowd standing in the hot as July Florida sun. The stadium really, really should have considered moving those people. We got a wristband, but I knew I would be feeling miserable if we attempted to stand in the GA line until the gates opened. We hit up the merch stand, but they were out of several items I wanted. Hopefully they'll show up on the website soon enough.

After that we found a place to sit under some shade trees near the area that the band would be coming in. We met some great fans waiting around there. There was debate on whether the band was already in the stadium. Security seemed to think so and someone claimed to have seen Bono there at 8:00am. We decided to wait until a little after 4pm to see if they showed. I had to go back to the car to ditch my purse and change out of flip-flops. When we returned, I saw security moving more barricades out, so I thought the band might be coming in soon. We waited and around 4:45, the motorcade turned in. I saw Brian in the front seat of the first SUV. The SUV stopped right in front of us, Bono rolled down his window while chatting on his cell, waved and told everyone he'd be right back out. I had a feeling he would not since they were late and it was incredibly hot out. Brian confirmed this a few minutes later. I felt bad for the fans who'd waited for hours in the killer sun. It was also starting to get a bit crazy after the band arrived which may have factored into the no Bono.

We got several beverages before hitting the GA line. We sucked down a Coke, water, and lemonade while waiting for the GA gates to open. Luckily we were corraled into an area with a few shade trees and by this time, the stadium's shade was over the GA area. Gates were set to open at 5pm, but since the band was late and needed to do soundcheck, it was quite a bit later. I was irritated because there were at least 3 helicopters circling the stadium so we couldn't hear soundcheck much at all.

Once they opened the gates, we got in rather quickly. We initially were going to try for outer rail, but decided to give the inner rail another shot. We were able to get closer to the center than we did in Raleigh.

It was HOT in GA. Killer hot. I've lived in Florida 80% of my life and I have NEVER sweat so much. We were pretty crammed in and I didn't want to lose my spot on the rail, so the security guy kept bringing people cups of ice cold water. He was awesome! I saw at least 3 people being escorted out of our general area (center, Edge side), presumably for dehydration or other heat-related issue. I looked back to the clear area near the Red Zone and saw the paramedics there off and on throughout the show. The only thing I can compare inner circle GA to is a gigantic sauna.

The show itself was fantastic. I liked the Raleigh show, but think Tampa was two times better. We got UTEOTW which was the highlight for me. That has to be my favorite song live. I also loved Magnificent and the Crazy remix. Having the same setlist as the ATL made me less sad that we sold our tickets to that show.

I have some photos and video, but everything looks blurry. If I find any that are decent, I'll post them.

As of now, we are through for this leg. I'm desperately trying to squeeze in another show, but this is probably it until the summer. At least I now know I can take the heat when the summer shows roll around!

We had seats in section 114, row B. I had thought we had 112, which would have been way better. I had a feeling I would disconnect during a stadium show, and I sorta/kinda did. But that's on *me*, not on U2!!

As everyone has said, it was really, really unbearably hot. We didn't arrive to the stadium until well after 6:00, so we didn't have to stand in line. I had to suck down the last of my bottle of water before entering (which is silly ... and i know they sold a lot of $4.25 bottles of water that night!)

I was not familiar with Muse, but I liked their set.

Anyway, U2 really put on a fantastic performance, even with the heat. I think my favorite had to be the Crazy re-mix. That's just pure genius.

This was my DH's first U2 show and I really wanted it to be something great for him. I think probably the highlight for him was the fact they walked in right by where we were (so this made up for not really being able to see much of them during the show!) He even was standing up waving. :D

I was glad to see Bono ditch the leather jacket -- and his comment 'You've got a pirate ship, we've got a space ship" was cute. The truly looked like they were having a great time and that made me happy, too.

I got photos of Adam's midriff. :lol:

I'm trying to upload everything to facebook, so maybe I can come back later and post a few links for everyone.
I got some really great photos of Edge... until a fucking giant stood right in his path. I lost my view of Edge the whole night after that, so I was able to get more photos of Bono and Adam.

My sister said your post made her feel "like less of a wimp" and that it also made her feel better :hug:

Well, she wasn't alone. I was hydrated for most of the day and it still sucked. I was really hoping security would hose us down. And most of my dancing was to ask the rain gods for some assistance. :wink:
I have to think that when Bono sang that line in MLK "So let it rain, rain down on me", he really meant it.

Before my camera died (and that was another hex sign of the night, haha), I got some photos of mainly Adam, as that's the side of the stage we were on .. and a few Bono ... one of Edge, that's it. I took some photos with a smaller camera I had, so I need to see what's on there.

Back
Top Bottom