October 14th -- Houston, TX -- Reliant Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Great show! The Edge totally botched the intro to STREETS believe it or not. He seemed upset about it for the first verse. Bono seemed to forgive him. Houston crowd was kinda sucky, but better than Arlington. My last show of 2009. See you next year, U2!

SMB

Great show! The Edge totally botched the intro to STREETS believe it or not. He seemed upset about it for the first verse. Bono seemed to forgive him. Houston crowd was kinda sucky, but better than Arlington. My last show of 2009. See you next year, U2!

SMB

How was the attendance at this show? Was the stadium full?

Edge has seemed to be screwing up a bit more this tour...

NOW - before people jump on me, I am NOT coming down on a legend. He is one of my favorite guitar players of all time, with Johnny Marr, etc.

My theory for this 360 tour is quite simple:

They band aren't playing as many gigs, night after night. When you don't play every night, and aren't doing lengthy soundchecks, you get lost in the moment, no matter how many times you have played a tune.

Just a thought, not a sermon.

U2 put one hell of an effort in. I am not discounting that.

Arrived at the end of Muse's set and got into the inner circle Edge's side 4 rows back which ended up being an awesome spot! The bridge would stop stop right by us and Bono's spit and sweat dropped on us! He stopped to sing, and stare us down - most likely because we were going crazy! It was amazing to watch Larry, I was never able to see him so well before. He looked like he was having a great time. Edge has some malfunctions, and had to go down a bit to change guitars during MW.

We had such a great time, it was my son and he friend's first show and they were blown away. It was great to be in a group in there family and good friends! We were also happy to meet up with Cathal! The crowd around us were kind of meh but we rocked out, which ended up getting some people going!

Good morning everyone,

Drove back from Houston back to San Antonio and laid my head down at 3am only to wake up at 7am for work. I'm frigging tired but it was so worth the effort. Hell of a show!!

I went to Chicago I and this show was much better. Band seemed more in the groove and the crowd was pretty good. Below are the highlights:

-Muse was a great opener. Best opener I've seen for a U2 show.

-Elevation, NLOTH (GOOD LORD!!!), Boots, UTEOW, Vertigo rocked Reliant and my face off. I know many people think the rock isn't there in this set but it does shine during these numbers.

-Your Blue Room was so beautiful. Turning a stadium into a trance basically and the imagery was breathtaking. Props to U2 for playing this. Sounded great.

-Something possessed Larry during Streets. Guy was on fire!!!

-The crowd sometimes just seems so lost. I really don't understand why all of a sudden people become so bored of rare songs or new material. Even during UTEOW people were sitting down???? :doh: There was a Joshua Tree dad behind me with his daughters and I think they only stood up for Mysterious Ways, Streets, and ISHFWILF.

-I wish they'll do another acoustic song besides Stuck. Song is getting really bland. And Walk On comes across it bit too forced. Other than that the setlist was great. I did miss Unkown Caller and think they should add it after Streets.

Again, great U2 concert in Houston. I just wish the crowd will let go and enjoy the band for who they really are (Rock n roll band) if that makes sense. Looking forward to Vegas next week.

Just arrived back home from Houston. That was one freaking great show! For being my first U2 concert, it was so amazing! Muse totally rocked out. I've never heard them play before and they are pretty awesome.

The band were just on fire and totally rocked out. I had the best spot I could possibly be in: Dead center on the outer rail and got a lot of Bono, Edge time.

I can't wait until I get another chance to go see them again cuz that was one hell of an experience. The crowd was just rockin also!!!

Does anyone know what Muse set list was?

Just arrived back home from Houston. That was one freaking great show! For being my first U2 concert, it was so amazing! Muse totally rocked out. I've never heard them play before and they are pretty awesome.

The band were just on fire and totally rocked out. I had the best spot I could possibly be in: Dead center on the outer rail and got a lot of Bono, Edge time.

I can't wait until I get another chance to go see them again cuz that was one hell of an experience. The crowd was just rockin also!!!

Does anyone know what Muse set list was?

....Yeah, Muse was amazing in Dallas.

The concert was absolutely incredible. I braved a combination of awful Houston rush hour traffic and awful Reliant Stadium event traffic to make it to the stadium still forty-five minutes before Muse started. I had a great seat, in section 110, to the side of and a little behind the stage on field level. I got to the stadium and was a little disappointed to see that the roof was closed, because I had read on Interference that it was opened... and then they opened it right in front of us.

Muse came on, late as usual. I enjoyed their set, but not as much as I had hoped. They have very good music, but didn't show a particularly good stage presence here - Snow Patrol held the audience better than Muse, IMO. And they were LOUD. Louder than U2, and not entirely clear even in my really good seat. Still, I enjoyed it.

I nearly exploded when I heard Space Oddity. A lot of people disagree with me, but I still think Space Oddity->Kingdom->Breathe is an amazing opening sequence.

Breathe was, as usual, amazing. Everyone was standing and seemed to like the song, even if not many people knew it, and the band were filled with energy.

Boots is awesome. I know it gets attacked a lot here, but it is really incredible live, especially with the extended intro.

Magnficent was also awesome, even though people were starting to sit down by this point (listen to the new album, bastards!).

Mysty Ways really got the crowd back on their feet. I miss the solo, but it's still a great song, and it's not stupid. I really enjoyed it, even without the solo.

Beautiful Day was... well, beautiful, for everyone in the stadium.

Still Haven't Found... I'm not a huge fan of this song, but it's really cool to sing the first verse with the rest of the crowd (even if the Houston crowd was less awesome than the Chicago crowd). When Bono mentioned that a lot of astronauts' families were in the crowd before the song, I started really getting my hopes up for Your Blue Room.

I'm not a big fan of Stuck, but I do love Edge's falsetto at the end. I would note here that the crowd were not particularly interested by this song at all, at least where I was.

No Line is just :drool:-worthy live.

Elevation... I wholesale loathe this song. However, I guess it fits thematically (Elevation? Altitude?), and it sent the stadium bouncing, so I can (not happily) accept it. Towards the end of the song, I noticed that the piano had been brought out. It was too early for TUF, so I put two and two together, and...

YOUR BLUE ROOM. I can't believe I got to see this live. I looked like an idiot in my section, because I was the only one who knew the song, stood, and was singing. I didn't care. Note that while everyone sat down, no one really left for beer/bathroom... the whole stadium seemed to be in a bit of a spacey trance.

I was fully expecting UTEOTW, but that didn't make it any less glorious. This song has never been played badly. It was incredible; unfortunately, the crowd outside of the pit didn't really seem to be into it, but, again, I didn't care and was jumping up and down, singing, the whole damn time.

The Unforgettable Fire... one emoticon will suffice to describe it: :drool:

I was on the verge of tears for COBL.

I also wholesale loathe Vertigo, but I accept its presence because I know that they'll never be able to get rid of it. I subconsciously and accidentally ended up singing "at a place called VERTIFAIL" out loud, without realizing it. I'm poisoning my own mind with negativity.

The Crazy Tonight remix was insane. The crowd had no idea what it was, but, after Vertigo, they ended up getting really into it by the end. And I adore the transition into...

Sunday Bloody Sunday, which isn't my favorite song, but which seems very timely and is performed incredibly well on this tour (no complaints here).

MLK->Walk On... err, I miss the Hallelujah ending, but it's still a great set of songs, and I was able to just sing the Hallelujah ending by myself to be happy.

One was beautiful. I don't care what people say; I loved it. I wasn't expecting Bono to sing Hear Us Coming, but he did, so, again, I nearly cried.

Streets is just Streets. :love:

I love the new last-encore intro video. It ties the whole show together into the space (both physical and emotional) theme, and I love seeing the Achtung Babyface singing Space Oddity. It also really establishes a character that Bono is in for the last encore.

Ultraviolet is :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: this tour. Even better than ZooTV. I can't say enough about this song, so I won't even try. It's even more incredible now that they've totally tied it in thematically.

With or Without You is the perfect song for where it's at, and I perfectly enjoyed it, despite how Bono sang it. He didn't sing Shine Like Stars, but I did!

Moment of Surrender is amazing live. They seem to have but the song down closer to its SNL length, but I don't care. I really didn't see the mass exodus of the stadium that most people witness... a handful of people left after Streets, thinking there wasn't another encore (a woman next to me almost left at that time, too, but she asked me if there was another encore first), but people seemed to really like MOS. I love MOS to pieces. It is my favorite U2 song to come out since Pop or Zooropa, easily. The song gets major :drool:-points from me.

There you have it. I can't find anything to complain about with this show. It was better than Chicago. It was absolutely amazing.

I was at the Houston show last night at Reliant Stadium and was underwhelmed..which is shocking and upsetting because I have never had a poor U2 experience before. I'm not convinced U2 was entirely to blame for it though. The heat was unreal, I was on the verge of collapse come show time having been dehydrated and waiting in the direct sunlight from 10am. I was at the outer rail inner circle, towards Adam's side--actually right at the bright tape on the ground, directly beneath where the bridge stops at one point.

I think the fact I felt so light-headed put a HUGE damper on my overall enjoyment of the show, but my physical ailments aside I also was disappointed in the overall sound. This is my first stadium show ever U2 or not, so perhaps I've been spoiled with the previous arena shows I've been to past tours. Edge's guitar was just completely lost from where I was standing. I found the intricacies of each song were really missing, it could be that the speakers were above my head and the audio was just pushing out. I wish now that I had dropped to the back of GA near the sound booth for comparison.

Did anyone else have an issue with the sound? Reading nothing but rave reviews is really making me feel like I missed out on something! Next show (probably 4th leg) I will aim for an outside-circle spot and perhaps have a better overall experience.

i thought in arlington, the sound was horrific. i was in front of edge, front row and all i could hear was vocals. this time we went to the inner circle along the rail, dead center and the sound was mixed perfectly. GREAT show!

I had no clue YBR was being played on this tour so when they played it last night I was VERY surprised and happy as it's one of my favorite song of theirs

I was able to get to the very back and center of the inner circle, but ended up making my way more to the right to get a better view cause there were 2 very tall people right in front of me (im pretty tall myself and i still couldnt see)... It was VERY crowded

Again like Dallas I jumped, danced, and threw my hands up whenever I thought it appropriate... They don't have a song that I don't like so whatever they would have played I would've enjoyed it....

STREETS was CRAZY even with the botched intro that song left me breathless and with my calves hurting

Dallas and Houston were my first two U2 shows and they exceeded expectations, they are so damn good... my friend who I brought along wasn't a U2 fan but because of these shows is now converted :lol:

During Crazy Tonight Bono was interacting with us, my son caught it on video. We were dancing like "crazy" and Bono looked at us and tried to do a "stare down" but we were so silly he cracked a smile. Look at around the 50 mark. He came back a few times to sing right down on us. We got his sweat and spittle sprayed all over! Hope this works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azkwFRlAjT8

Here is when he came back almost right away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvmuAn_lWR8

Last edited:
I absolutely loved how they converged on Larry during Streets and when Edge kicked the cymbal. I'm glad I haven't been paying too much attention to the previous shows so that I didn't see that coming.

Very, very few of the people down in the pit around me knew the words to ANY of the songs. Most people just stood watching the stage like they were watching a play. The really weird thing, and I was almost a bit angry, was that they weren't even applauding after songs! Seriously. I looked around during and after songs and most people were merely standing there mute. I think they were all rich Red Zone auction winners out to see the big show but who decided to come into the pit instead.

The atmosphere seemed to be great in the stands though, and in the centre of the pit. The volume was certainly coming down from the stands. Bono had everyone in the stands waving their arms during Mysterious Ways, and clapping during ISHFWILF. He gave each band member a Star Trek type job title, I forget them but Edge was something like Chief Engineer.

Bono brought a girl up on the outer stage at the end of Mysterious Ways, I think she (or someone near her) had a large sign saying "Bono you fill the hole in my heart". She stayed up there with him too during Beautiful Day, it took him a while to get her off the stage.

Another odd thing is how parents will take quite small children into the pit and offer them up to Bono like sacrificial lambs. (You should have offered your son up Kassandra :))

Edge was strumming the first verse of Streets during the intro part, I think he played the short intro version whilst the band played the long intro version. He went for a run around the outer stage during the second verse, and then came back and joined the rest of the band on Larry's drum podium for the end of the song. He actually kicked one of Larry's cymbals at the end of the song and Larry turned and gave him a big laugh.

There was another new video intro to the encore, I think that's the fourth one now.

Kassandra, her chums and I all ended up about five rows from the rail at the end of the show on Edge's side of the pit. And Bono came right over to sing Moment of Surrender to us at the end which was amazing.

And all on an insanely humid day in Houston. They had the air-con on in the stadium, with the roof open!

Am I allowed to mention meeting Bono briefly before the show and passing him a certain object ...? :)

Am I allowed to mention meeting Bono briefly before the show and passing him a certain object ...? :)

awesome, details please! ;) I was wondering when it was he arrived... at one point I tried to catch the band, that was around 4:30 there was a little group waiting around...I believe I did see Larry's limo drive up, but didnt' catch anyone come out for a proper meet and greet

i thought in arlington, the sound was horrific. i was in front of edge, front row and all i could hear was vocals. this time we went to the inner circle along the rail, dead center and the sound was mixed perfectly. GREAT show!

I was there too, from where I was sitting the sound wasn't too bad. But I thought muse's sound was strong and powerful, but u2's sound was a little weak. They needed to crank up the volume!

Yeah we were so taken aback that he sang the entire first verse to us, Sean's camera went dead at that point though! Even though the pit was dead, we had some great interaction with Bono.

Even Adam came over to play for us during MOS, that was really cool. I think Edge thought we were crazy (which we were)!

This is my favorite of the shots that I made.

Bono_profile1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom