October 12, 2009 - New Cowboys Stadium Dallas - Texas - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:51 PM
October 12, 2009 - New Cowboys Stadium Dallas - Texas

Pics, experiences, reviews here.

This should be a doozy.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

midnight...just made it back to hotel

the entry to the floor was crazy...double doors
The walk onto the floor was long...over 4 minutes
Have video of whole thing

Big clustereff regarding inner circle...security were goofs

heard mysterious ways...romi is almost off the hook

Ran into the kid who ran with bono...got to try on sunglasses. Have picture

Be home tomorrow to start uploading

-dan

Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Out of the shower...more on pit debacle.

Already 100-plus inside when white shirted local security started kicking people out. Me and a few told everyone to sit. I started "let them stay" chat ala bad news bears.

Security brought cops...looked tense and showdown was coming.

Eventually someone talked to someone and eventually people in pit started cheering and people started going back in (on edges side)

Originally there was only one entrance to pit...Edges side. People were getting turned away on Adams side. At some point security realized to let people in on Adams side and there was a mad rush

-dan
Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Wow, a friend called and told us this had happened. What a clusterfuck.

I was in RZ 2 and we were wondering why the pit was so empty on Adam's side then all of sudden we saw people streaming in.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

I recorded a bunch of it, but I'm not sure if the video came out. It was kind of ridiculous, everyone BUT security knew what they were doing. Kind of glad I didn't go for pit now.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
The Fly

Football: NFL Sports News at wtvg

I assume there were no bragging about largest crowd etc.... And I hear they had to make the stage fit as it was too Tall... Did the scoreboard get moved higher???
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 12:51 AM
that HD screen is crazy big! yeah i was just outside the circle, i didn't hear about the debacle till after the concert......that's pretty unfair. We had some problems of our own in my area. People were just pushing and shoving, and there was a guy next to me who was videotaping, and the security guard jumped in the crowd and pulled him out......i guess he didn't get to see the rest of the show
Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:

U2 misery at Cowboys Stadium

Just rolled back in from the U2 concert, and I have to say what a bitter disappointment it was for me. It's not the band's fault; it's the new Cowboys Stadium. We had nosebleed seats, and the acoustics were horrible, by far the worst I've experienced at any stadium anywhere. The opening band Muse was so loud and garbled their set sounded like D-Day in a Dumpster. My kid and I had to go out into the concourse to get away from it. U2 was somewhat better, but the best way to describe the aural experience is to ask you to imagine that your downstairs neighbor bought the new U2 album and is playing it loud enough for you to hear that U2 is playing, but not clear enough to understand which songs they're playing (except those you can't mistake because you've heard them a thousand times). Bono sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher, Mrs. Othmar, every time he spoke. It was so bad where we were that a steady stream of people started leaving at about the halfway point. If I hadn't had a 10-year-old with me whose first concert this was, and who was desperate to stay, I would have joined them. By the time the show was over, our entire section had lost about half its people, and my son and I were the only ones left on our row.

Can you imagine leaving a U2 concert long before it was over? People were doing it in droves, at least in our section. You can't blame them. The sound was a muddy, garbled mess.
OPINION Blog | The Dallas Morning News
Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:51 AM
When I saw pictures of that stadium I knew at once that the sound would be bad. I'm surprised they even sold tickets for the upper decks. In a bowl like this you simply cannot produce a good sound, no matter how great your system is. Stadiums like that look impressive, but they are not made for rock concerts.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
War Child

The sound was rediculously bad.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 06:51 PM
We got there at 4pm for GA, and no one that worked there seemed to know where the line was. We finally found it and I was a bit worried as there were several hundred people ahead of us. Maybe a thousand, I don't know. We made it inside by 5:30 and we actually got right up front on the rail, not in the inner circle, but behind it, which actually turned out to be much better since the stage was like 12 feet high. Those in the innner circle couldn't see much.

In response to the DMN article, the sound was incredible down front. My dad sat in the very top (which is so high, it makes you dizzy to look up at) and he said the sound was great there too. Clearly the author doesn't understand that Muse sounds garbled on purpose, and that everyone who left early was a Muse fan. There were a bunch of teenagers down front with us that we're only there to see Muse. They left when Muse was done. The stadium was only half-full when Muse was on, and by the time the lights came on at the end of U2's set, the place was completely full. It was a different crowd.

I'll post more about the experience when I have a chance to go over the setlist. I remember most of what was played, but I'm still too excited to nail it down. Highlights included Bono letting the crowd sing the first verse of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." Chilling, never experienced anything like it. And I'll admit I cried when he pulled the 14-year-old boy onstage as City of Blinding Lights started and said something like "I wanted to see what I used to be." Brutal. I also appreciate them playing "The Unforgettable Fire" for the diehards.

Met some really cool U2 fans from Chicago. Also some from Dallas that had been to several U2 shows, so they were able to advise me. There were some problems as people tried to push their way to the front. Some yelling and name-calling, and a couple of guys almost got into a fight. Dallas is full of a certain social crowd that goes to all the events (concerts, basketball games) simply to get dressed up and be seen. Unfortunately there were a lot of those types at the U2 show. They cared more about getting drunk and taking pictures of themselves than actually watching the show. But we didn't let them ruin it for us.

Overall, the sound and visuals were incredible. And the boys were full of energy, running around the stage with their instruments. It was my first U2 show, and definitely the best concert I've ever been to. Now I'm addicted, I want to follow them to Houston and Oklahoma. I was told by another concert-goer that the stadium in Oklahoma was really small and cramped so it might make for a different experience.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis199125 View Post
that HD screen is crazy big! yeah i was just outside the circle, i didn't hear about the debacle till after the concert......that's pretty unfair. We had some problems of our own in my area. People were just pushing and shoving, and there was a guy next to me who was videotaping, and the security guard jumped in the crowd and pulled him out......i guess he didn't get to see the rest of the show
Was he doing the whole show or just a few clips on and off? Ive recorded songs here and there and would not (obviously) want to get kicked out...
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Bono sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher, Mrs. Othmar, every time he spoke.
I would like to state for the record that Ms. Othmar was Linus' teacher, not Charlie Brown's. Linus had a huge crush on her until he found out that she was against kids having security blankets.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRay9911 View Post
midnight...just made it back to hotel

the entry to the floor was crazy...double doors
The walk onto the floor was long...over 4 minutes