October 12, 2009 - New Cowboys Stadium Dallas - Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
midnight...just made it back to hotel

the entry to the floor was crazy...double doors
The walk onto the floor was long...over 4 minutes
Have video of whole thing

Big clustereff regarding inner circle...security were goofs

heard mysterious ways...romi is almost off the hook

Ran into the kid who ran with bono...got to try on sunglasses. Have picture

Be home tomorrow to start uploading

-dan

Out of the shower...more on pit debacle.

Already 100-plus inside when white shirted local security started kicking people out. Me and a few told everyone to sit. I started "let them stay" chat ala bad news bears.

Security brought cops...looked tense and showdown was coming.

Eventually someone talked to someone and eventually people in pit started cheering and people started going back in (on edges side)

Originally there was only one entrance to pit...Edges side. People were getting turned away on Adams side. At some point security realized to let people in on Adams side and there was a mad rush

-dan

Wow, a friend called and told us this had happened. What a clusterfuck.

I was in RZ 2 and we were wondering why the pit was so empty on Adam's side then all of sudden we saw people streaming in.

Last edited:
I recorded a bunch of it, but I'm not sure if the video came out. It was kind of ridiculous, everyone BUT security knew what they were doing. Kind of glad I didn't go for pit now.

that HD screen is crazy big! yeah i was just outside the circle, i didn't hear about the debacle till after the concert......that's pretty unfair. We had some problems of our own in my area. People were just pushing and shoving, and there was a guy next to me who was videotaping, and the security guard jumped in the crowd and pulled him out......i guess he didn't get to see the rest of the show :sad:

U2 misery at Cowboys Stadium

Just rolled back in from the U2 concert, and I have to say what a bitter disappointment it was for me. It's not the band's fault; it's the new Cowboys Stadium. We had nosebleed seats, and the acoustics were horrible, by far the worst I've experienced at any stadium anywhere. The opening band Muse was so loud and garbled their set sounded like D-Day in a Dumpster. My kid and I had to go out into the concourse to get away from it. U2 was somewhat better, but the best way to describe the aural experience is to ask you to imagine that your downstairs neighbor bought the new U2 album and is playing it loud enough for you to hear that U2 is playing, but not clear enough to understand which songs they're playing (except those you can't mistake because you've heard them a thousand times). Bono sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher, Mrs. Othmar, every time he spoke. It was so bad where we were that a steady stream of people started leaving at about the halfway point. If I hadn't had a 10-year-old with me whose first concert this was, and who was desperate to stay, I would have joined them. By the time the show was over, our entire section had lost about half its people, and my son and I were the only ones left on our row.

Can you imagine leaving a U2 concert long before it was over? People were doing it in droves, at least in our section. You can't blame them. The sound was a muddy, garbled mess.

OPINION Blog | The Dallas Morning News

When I saw pictures of that stadium I knew at once that the sound would be bad. I'm surprised they even sold tickets for the upper decks. In a bowl like this you simply cannot produce a good sound, no matter how great your system is. Stadiums like that look impressive, but they are not made for rock concerts.

We got there at 4pm for GA, and no one that worked there seemed to know where the line was. We finally found it and I was a bit worried as there were several hundred people ahead of us. Maybe a thousand, I don't know. We made it inside by 5:30 and we actually got right up front on the rail, not in the inner circle, but behind it, which actually turned out to be much better since the stage was like 12 feet high. Those in the innner circle couldn't see much.

In response to the DMN article, the sound was incredible down front. My dad sat in the very top (which is so high, it makes you dizzy to look up at) and he said the sound was great there too. Clearly the author doesn't understand that Muse sounds garbled on purpose, and that everyone who left early was a Muse fan. There were a bunch of teenagers down front with us that we're only there to see Muse. They left when Muse was done. The stadium was only half-full when Muse was on, and by the time the lights came on at the end of U2's set, the place was completely full. It was a different crowd.

I'll post more about the experience when I have a chance to go over the setlist. I remember most of what was played, but I'm still too excited to nail it down. Highlights included Bono letting the crowd sing the first verse of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." Chilling, never experienced anything like it. And I'll admit I cried when he pulled the 14-year-old boy onstage as City of Blinding Lights started and said something like "I wanted to see what I used to be." Brutal. I also appreciate them playing "The Unforgettable Fire" for the diehards.

Met some really cool U2 fans from Chicago. Also some from Dallas that had been to several U2 shows, so they were able to advise me. There were some problems as people tried to push their way to the front. Some yelling and name-calling, and a couple of guys almost got into a fight. Dallas is full of a certain social crowd that goes to all the events (concerts, basketball games) simply to get dressed up and be seen. Unfortunately there were a lot of those types at the U2 show. They cared more about getting drunk and taking pictures of themselves than actually watching the show. But we didn't let them ruin it for us.

Overall, the sound and visuals were incredible. And the boys were full of energy, running around the stage with their instruments. It was my first U2 show, and definitely the best concert I've ever been to. Now I'm addicted, I want to follow them to Houston and Oklahoma. I was told by another concert-goer that the stadium in Oklahoma was really small and cramped so it might make for a different experience.

that HD screen is crazy big! yeah i was just outside the circle, i didn't hear about the debacle till after the concert......that's pretty unfair. We had some problems of our own in my area. People were just pushing and shoving, and there was a guy next to me who was videotaping, and the security guard jumped in the crowd and pulled him out......i guess he didn't get to see the rest of the show :sad:

Was he doing the whole show or just a few clips on and off? Ive recorded songs here and there and would not (obviously) want to get kicked out...

Bono sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher, Mrs. Othmar, every time he spoke.

I would like to state for the record that Ms. Othmar was Linus' teacher, not Charlie Brown's. Linus had a huge crush on her until he found out that she was against kids having security blankets.

:nerd:

midnight...just made it back to hotel

the entry to the floor was crazy...double doors
The walk onto the floor was long...over 4 minutes
Have video of whole thing

Big clustereff regarding inner circle...security were goofs

heard mysterious ways...romi is almost off the hook

Ran into the kid who ran with bono...got to try on sunglasses. Have picture

Be home tomorrow to start uploading

-dan

:wink::D

No, they apparently thought the entire pit area was the Red Zone, instead of plain old GA.

I'm glad you all find my ridiculous knowledge of Peanuts trivia so hot. :flirt:

Miss Othmar is often assumed to be Charlie Brown's teacher. In the mid-1960s, it was revealed that Charlie Brown's teacher's name was "Mrs. Donovan". However, Charlie Brown did show up in Miss Othmar's classroom (usually sitting behind Linus) starting in the late 1960s. In one series of strips, Miss Othmar continually selected Charlie Brown to pound the chalkboard erasers, filling his lungs with so much chalk dust that he exhaled it for days afterward.

:hmm:

Okay, I'm a spaz - Charlie Brown and Linus were in the same class, so she would have been the teacher to both of them.

But there is a series of strips about Linus' crush on Miss Othmar, I swear!

Issues with the security staff in Dallas

I was at the show last night and experienced all the drama in the pit regarding the Redzone. I was there at 6am so that I could secure my spot up front and was threatened by the security staff and later with cops. We asked security several times to please consult someone actually working on the tour about where the Redzone was and they refused to do so.

If you any of you were there and remember the most vocal of all the security guys was the guy in the blue shirt. His name is Rex. I've filed a complaint with the security company that staffs the concert about the situation. If anyone would like to do the same, here is their information:

Platinum Event Services, Inc. - Home
6440 N Central Expressway
Suite 200
Dallas, TX 75206
Business: 214.365.9499
Fax: 214.373.9865

WOW, I missed the whole GA/red zone debacle, what a mess! Hello people? Some communication, maybe?!? :rolleyes:

I had a lot of the same 'audio' experiences that have been posted in this thread, so I wanted to post my 2 cents on the show last night, which you can read on my blog HERE.

Beautiful stadium. But definitely not made for the wall of sound created at concerts. :tsk: That was probably the biggest disappointment.

I got to the GA line about 5pm because my friends couldn't leave work any earlier. I was hoping to get into the Pit but thinking there was no way it was going to happen. The line was super long and it took an hour to get checked in and on to the floor. Once down there, we went straight for the pit entrance (especially since the outer railing was already full with people). Thankfully, we got in! I'm not sure what the cut off number is, but somehow we just managed to make it because it looked like they weren't letting people in shortly after that point.

Once in the pit, we manuevered our way through the crowd of people towards the Edge's side of the stadium. We were about 20 yards away from the main stage (maybe 11-12 rows back) and it was perfect! I'm only 5'8, but as luck would have it, most of the people in my section were short as well. There were only a few tall people scattered about in that area.

It was a great experience! I loved getting to see the band up close and when I wanted to watch the video screen, I would just tilt my head up a bit! It was fun being in the center of all the action and on occasion getting to make eye contact with the different members of the band. I'm sure being out past the outer railing gives you a better overall view, but for me, the pit is where I want to be everytime! It's worth the trade off to be that close (in my humble opinion)!

Overall ... an amazing show with a great set list! I lucked out in Houston during the Vertigo tour and got to be front row on the Edge's side. That one is still my favorite memory, but last night in Dallas is definitely a close second or third (compared to my first overall GA experience - Austin Elevation ... and being on the floor ... although way back ... for Vertigo Berlin).

My only negative on the Dallas show was that the crowd wasn't as "into it" as they have been in the past. I think it's probably a combination of an older demographic (most people were mid-30s to 40s), a sometimes "too cool" Dallas socialite crowd, a Monday night show, and a massive stadium that wasn't as intimate as other tours. Sometimes, members of the band would walk right by or try to engage the crowd and many times people would just stand there and stare instead of jumping, singing or yelling. I'm not saying there weren't people into what was going on around them ... 'cause there were! But just overall ... people didn't seem to be engaged as much as European stadium shows in the past or U.S. arena shows.

Well ... that's my two cents! I'll be heading to Houston tomorrow, so it will be interesting to compare the two shows.

security screw-up in GA

Thanks for the info on the security guard-Rex.

I called the company and spoke with Sheri- she was very sympathetic. She said all of the complaints would go into his file and he would be dealt with accordingly. I warned her that she would be receiving more calls once word got out with her info and she was fine with that and told me she would start a separate file.

If you were there and Rex and Co tried to kick you out of the pit- please call.

Platinum Event Services, Inc. - Home
6440 N Central Expressway
Suite 200
Dallas, TX 75206
Business: 214.365.9499
Fax: 214.373.9865

When did they start the new Zoo Baby intro to UV? Tampa? I don't know if there's a thread, or any other video for this, but here's my sorta shoddy quality video of it:

YouTube - U2 Zoo Baby Ultra VIolet intro 10/12

I've got other videos but I haven't upped them yet, also they're not very good, but I Thought the zoobaby was awesomely adorable. Almost as much so as Bishop Tutu.

Was he doing the whole show or just a few clips on and off? Ive recorded songs here and there and would not (obviously) want to get kicked out...

I've seen someone film the entire show from the pit in Atlanta, and did not get caught. I didn't really care much about what he was doing, except that he was 6'7" and blocked our view. :scream:

Well, the signs pretty clearly said outside the stadium NO video cameras. Now...that being said. I spent a good deal of time filming with my digital camera.

"older"? 30's/40's?? Had to laugh. You realize that those 40'slike myself have been u2 fans since we were in high school? In Boston, that " older" group rocked it. Lol, don't forget wemake up u2's first generation of fans :)

The line was super long and it took an hour to get checked in and on to the floor. Once down there, we went straight for the pit entrance (especially since the outer railing was already full with people). Thankfully, we got in! I'm not sure what the cut off number is, but somehow we just managed to make it because it looked like they weren't letting people in shortly after that point.

Once in the pit, we manuevered our way through the crowd of people towards the Edge's side of the stadium. We were about 20 yards away from the main stage (maybe 11-12 rows back) and it was perfect! I'm only 5'8, but as luck would have it, most of the people in my section were short as well. There were only a few tall people scattered about in that area.

It was a great experience! I loved getting to see the band up close and when I wanted to watch the video screen, I would just tilt my head up a bit! It was fun being in the center of all the action and on occasion getting to make eye contact with the different members of the band. I'm sure being out past the outer railing gives you a better overall view, but for me, the pit is where I want to be everytime! It's worth the trade off to be that close (in my humble opinion)!

Overall ... an amazing show with a great set list! I lucked out in Houston during the Vertigo tour and got to be front row on the Edge's side. That one is still my favorite memory, but last night in Dallas is definitely a close second or third (compared to my first overall GA experience - Austin Elevation ... and being on the floor ... although way back ... for Vertigo Berlin).

My only negative on the Dallas show was that the crowd wasn't as "into it" as they have been in the past. I think it's probably a combination of an older demographic (most people were mid-30s to 40s), a sometimes "too cool" Dallas socialite crowd, a Monday night show, and a massive stadium that wasn't as intimate as other tours. Sometimes, members of the band would walk right by or try to engage the crowd and many times people would just stand there and stare instead of jumping, singing or yelling. I'm not saying there weren't people into what was going on around them ... 'cause there were! But just overall ... people didn't seem to be engaged as much as European stadium shows in the past or U.S. arena shows.

Well ... that's my two cents! I'll be heading to Houston tomorrow, so it will be interesting to compare the two shows.

I would like to state for the record that Ms. Othmar was Linus' teacher, not Charlie Brown's. Linus had a huge crush on her until he found out that she was against kids having security blankets.

:nerd:

nerd alert?

/back and better than ever'd

-dan

Back
Top Bottom