Oct 23rd - Sam Boyd Stadium - Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drove back yesterday, didn't get home until today. That was the best concert I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of different acts because I used to work at a concert venue.

My friends (3) and I arrived at the stadium about half hour before BEP came out, we were on the right hand side of the stage in seats, I didn't want to catch a glimpse of the claw until I popped in from the side, at that precise moment is when I knew just how ridiculous great the night was about to become. The claw was mesmerizing, HUGE, and as a tech kinda guy, an absolute display of human ingenuity, design, sound engineering, light display...wow THAT list could go on forever... but as we all know pretty lights and big huge things isn't what we were there strictly to see. Obviously BEP used the same stage and, although we were game and sang along to a few songs, I was just waiting for u2.

u2 walks out from the side in a long entrance and by this time the heart is pumping, I'll admit I was going a little nuts, or so I thought, until music started playing and then it was like pure unchecked musical emotion that didn't let up until the last note rang through the Vegas sky. We did not sit down at all, and from the few times I looked around the stadium, it didn't look like a single seat was sat on during their whole set. SOOO glad to have made it, and as the first time seeing u2 live... it was this side of a religious experience. :applaud:

Great show, but Sam Boyd is an aweful venue to attempt a show the scale of an act like U2 as the infrastructure and staffing is woefully in adequate.

Loved In God's Country snippet and certainly appropriate given the venue (especially since we did a Grand Canyon tour the next day where we drove past a Joshua tree "forrest"). Also loved the Viva Las Vegas and band introductions with references to various Vegas entertainers....Bono's "and I'm Wayne Newton" is simply classic. Black Eyed Peas were suprisingly good...not my normal genra of music and I would have much preferred Snow Patrol as they were awesome in Chicago...but BEP's was perfect in my wife's opinoin.

The venue was pathetic. For a venue that knows a large portion of it's attendees will come from the strip, the lack of transportation was stunning. Cabs are just not realistic as the prices were aweful and we tried for the return trip...but there had to be a 1000 people lined up waiting for cabs that were showing up at alarming slow intervals (and we left with a couple songs to go). We did the bus in complete with the 2 transfers and going a long stretch on a bus that was basically stopping at every stop as it was attempting to accomodate local users trying to go about their every day business. We took about 1.5 hours getting in and were fully prepared to pay $50-60 to get back to the strip...but alas the lines for the cabs before the show was even over were beyond ridiculous. Last the venue was grossly understaffed from a security and staffing standpoint. We got to the stadium at 6:15 and the lines of people trying to get in were incredible. No doubt BEP were late starting to try to compensate for the fact that there were masses of people still trying to get in at 7 (any other opening act this tour not start right around 7?). The wrist band procedure was ridiculously slow as they should have double or triple the people doing that as they did.

Overall an awesome U2 show in an "intimate" setting, but as for future road trips...Vegas will be real low on the list as the logistics are simply poor.

I warned people about this very thing. I saw it coming and rented a car. Still, it took forever to get out of the parking lot. They didn't seem to have a traffic plan , that's for sure.

we stayed at Siena Suites so no trouble with traffic, cabs, or the bus! Of course it sucked and was a long journey on the bus or an expensive cab ride to and from the strip prior to Friday. But in terms of day of the show, staying at Siena was definitely the best decision. 10 minute walk and that was it.

I had the best time meeting all of you...it was such an amazing adventure. I was in GA for the first time and completely blown away by it all. I love all your photos...here are a few of mine!
hj:heart:

DSC00301-1.jpg

DSC00322-1.jpg

DSC00324-1.jpg

For Imnotpolly and leafs fan and Hillary:
DSC00343-1.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

I warned people about this very thing. I saw it coming and rented a car. Still, it took forever to get out of the parking lot. They didn't seem to have a traffic plan , that's for sure.

I was originally on the fence about Vegas, and worrying about dealing with post-show transportation was nudging me in the "don't go" direction. Of course, I couldn't resist the last minute ticket drop, and decided we'd deal with after the show . . . after the show. After walking past the seemingly 2-mile long cab line, and wandering around aimlessly for a couple of minutes, a city bus heading back to the strip pulled up and opened its doors right in front of us - pure dumb luck. By the time it pulled away, there were hundreds of people clamoring to get on the thing.

It's a stadium show - wherever the stadium is, and whether or not the city has decent public transportation or not, you know it's going to be a nightmare getting out of there after the concert.

Best to hope for walking distance or having your own vehicle, and even then you should assume you're going to be sitting there for a while.

Glad everyone had such an amazing time, though! Love seeing the pictures and whatnot. :)

I took the city bus from the strip and back. I really HATED to but I left a few songs early to beat most of the crowd. I was kicking myself for doing it, but now I'm glad I did. I think I'm destined to never see Ultraviolet... Toronto, I passed out right when it started, on SNL they cut away from it, LV I left early. Oh well, I'll have to buy the DVD.

For those of us who don't know the peeps in the photos, could somebody supply the names?

i don't know what people were smoking if they thought cabs were going to be plentiful way out at the stadium on a friday night.

everyone was warned well ahead of time and the siena info was posted and discussed all over 6 threads

i think people were more interested with staying on the strip

-dan

I ran into a guy after the show back at the MGM where I stayed. He said the cab drivers were charging atrocious amounts... he said they paid $20 a head x 6 people. Thats awful. The bus was $4 round trip. The bus driver kept yelling at me...STAND BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE!

i don't know what people were smoking if they thought cabs were going to be plentiful way out at the stadium on a friday night.

everyone was warned well ahead of time and the siena info was posted and discussed all over 6 threads

-dan

Yeah, I kind of felt sorry for the people waiting at the Siena Suites trying to get cabs.

I took Carlos' brilliant advice and parked at Sienna. :hug: I would not have been a happy camper trying to get out of the parking lot! I was by myself but there were tons of people walking so I felt safe.

-dan

The Mods should of made a sticky with the necessary information. They dropped the ball IMHO. There was so much bs talk in the threads leading up to the show, you couldn't find anything about it. I rented a car so I was fine but many people got nailed accordingly. My 2 cents.

I ran into a guy after the show back at the MGM where I stayed. He said the cab drivers were charging atrocious amounts... he said they paid $20 a head x 6 people. Thats awful. The bus was $4 round trip. The bus driver kept yelling at me...STAND BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE!

A cab driver told me they charge $3.30 before you even leave the lot. After that it is $2.40 a mile plus $30 an hour for time. So if your stuck in traffic in a cab, your basically screwed.

Back
Top Bottom