November 26, 2010 - Mt. Smart Stadium, Auckland NZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morning everyone. Three hours sleep and my ears are still ringing. I thought Thursday's concert was fantastic but last nights concert topped that. It seems Bono always warms up at the first concert and just goes for it during the second. The GA sections were really packed last night and we were like sardines in the pit. We chose outer rail in the pit again in the same position as Thursday but this time we were on the rail so had really good viewing on the cat walk. We even made it onto the big screen when Bono was kneeled in front of us.

Really pleased that JayZ did a reduced set and also that he did not join U2 on stage to sing with them.

I am not a fan of IALW but last night when Bono was on the bridge staring dow it seemed he was looking directly at me :love:. I think when I hear this song that I will always think of that moment.

I was part of the group (U2fanz.com) that organised the red balloons and we had people coming up to us and saying how awesome it was on Thursday and were we doing it again. We even had people asking us for the red balloons as soon as they saw us. Hopefully it looks as great as it did on Thursday however it was Thursday's OTH that was special as you could see how surprised and emotional Bono was about it.

I am not good at writing reviews but I thought I should post something as soon as possible as I know all you guys would be starved of information.

Overall it has topped all the concerts I have been to. I think the concerts in your own country are very special and this one was the best of all.

I am starting to download some of the better photos but I have to work out again how to post the photo so it shows on the page.

<a href=

Having trouble with posting this image can someone please help.

Youse did a great job with the balloons both nights Wendy! Although the surprise for the band was obviously during Thursday's gig. And it was lovely to meet you at both shows! As it was to meet Chris,and see the Red Zone Queen Rosa, and Dan and Dennis again.

I'll try to cobble together some random comments about both shows when I get a chance (bit pushed for time today). But I was centre on the front rail for the first time ever at this show! It was, well, quite an experience!

Btw I think you need to upload the photos to Photobucket or something and then post the link in your message.

the balloons also probably had more impact on the first night when the wind blew them onto the stage.

overall i thought it was an alright show. i thought the first night was better (sacrilege to say on interference!), but i was probably more emotionally invested in that one - not by choice, admittedly - and the second night was just....there, for lack of a better term.

also glad i stood outside the stadium so i got to hear the band play mercy and boy falls from the sky - i'm still counting them in my list!

oh, and how's this for a small world - ended up sitting next to a couple of people who hung out outside the rehearsals. i'd imagine they're on u2fanz rather than interference, but those are pretty slim odds.

also glad i stood outside the stadium so i got to hear the band play mercy and boy falls from the sky - i'm still counting them in my list!

Agreed. I think we can count hearing Boy Falls From The Sky on our songs heard list at least 15 times. :wink:

As it was to meet Chris,and see the Red Zone Queen Rosa, and Dan and Dennis again.

I might get business cards with that title.

I enjoyed both shows a lot, although I must admit the fact that I was deathly ill definitely affected my enjoyment both nights.

I'd probably have to go with show # 2 as my favorite because Bono spent a ton of time right in front of me doing his Return of the Stringray Guitar dance/moves and it wasn't freezing. :lol:

Hey quadcaster have a few photos of you that you would be interested in. I will pm you when I get back from Ohope. Enjoy your Oz concerts - I am extremely jealous.

Kiwis don’t queue. In most cities during the tour, fans have camped out for at least one night before each concert. In some cities fans have camped out two, three, or four nights. Before Gothenburg 1 last year, some teenagers celebrated the end of the school year by camping out for six nights. And there are those often repeated legends about fans in Brazil and Mexico who queue for years just to hear a U2 concert rumour. (My only previous experience of GA camping was when I stayed out overnight with the GA queue in Cardiff last year – and then didn’t even go to the gig.)

I’ve got an ongoing tradition, which began quite spontaneously back at Barcelona 1 last year, where I give a free copy of Me & U2 to the person who is first in the GA queue at each concert (when possible – I haven’t always been able to). So I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many of U2’s most dedicated, loopy-tunes fans. I’ve also become slightly familiar with the vagaries of the different GA queuing systems in different countries. In cities where there have been concerts on consecutive nights, it’s been common for some fans to begin queuing for the second gig before the first gig has finished (or started!), or for fans to leave before the end of the first concert to begin queuing for the second. Therefore I thought that I would be able to find a queue for the second Auckland concert after I left the first one. However, after Auckland 1 had finished, I walked around to where the GA queue had been earlier that day, but I couldn’t spot any fans queuing for Auckland 2.

I got back to Mount Smart Stadium around 10am the next day to find the shortest GA queue that I’ve seen on the day of a show. There were nine people in the line. I wasn’t too far from being first in the GA queue and having to give a free book to myself.

I didn’t originally plan to join the GA queue as I had bought a ticket for the cheap seats earlier that morning. Usually, I give GA queuer #1 a book, have my photo taken with them for the M&U Facebook page, and depart all those crazy fools in the line. But a very generous fan gave me a spare GA ticket that he had, so I was able to join the front of the queue, stay there, and experience a little bit of what many of my new U2 buddies go through on a regular basis.

It was quite an adrenalin rush.

It was a very short and a very relaxed line. There was no need for writing numbers on hands or making a list of names. By 2pm there were around 80 people in the line, sitting comfortably in groups in lots of space. Sitting in the queue was a major element of my enjoyment of the day; everyone was very friendly, and many strawberries, cookies and giggles were shared. I joined two guys from Interference (US Chris and NZ Dennis), and a few women from New Zealand (Meg, Heather, Jess and another whose name I’ve forgotten) at the front. There was also an Italian called Mirco (interestingly, the only other European I met that day). Of the nine people ahead of me in the queue, six of them wanted to go to the outer rail.

I had a big choice to make: front rail or outer rail. I wanted to see the concert with Chris and Dennis as I’d spent some time with them the day before, they were great guys, they were fellow Interferencers, and I had an additional self-interest in that they’d offered me a lift back to town after the show (my post-gig transport was still unresolved at this point). But they were going to go to the outer rail. I realised that this concert would be my only opportunity to get on the front rail on the whole tour. I’m far too lazy and impatient to queue for days, especially in a new city with much exploring to be done. I appreciated how easy I would have it at this concert as I’ve had the privilege to meet many nutjob fans who were used to waiting for two or three nights to get to the spot that I could hopefully get after waiting a mere six hours.

Another factor in my decision was my height. I think I hit around 6 foot 3 inches (1.88 metres) when I’m wearing my chunky tour shoes. If I was to stand at the rail in the front row, then I knew that I was going to block someone’s view, maybe many people’s views. I actually got to the second row on the outer rail at Dublin 2 last year, but I ended up six rows back, as shorter girls would continually doe-eye me into letting them go in front. It’s difficult to be a selfish lanky bastard with some sweet, innocent and short U2 fan pitifully sobbing behind you as their heart’s been sadistically broken because they can’t see Bono.

At 4:28pm I came to a decision. I would go to the front rail, centre, and I would become as selfishly lankily bastardly as I could be to keep that spot until after U2 had played One Tree Hill (which had been about ten songs into the gig the night before). Anyone shorter than me who chose to stand behind me would just have to do their best to see around me. I would inconsiderately immunize myself against the requests of any shorter, puppy-dog-eyed girls who desperately wanted to skip in front.

I also decided that I would have to go to the back of the field after Streets, because I would need to find a phone signal to sort out some transport back. It had been impossible to send or receive texts from within the pit the night before, and I had a long journey back to Amanda’s place (my Auckland host) to sort out.

So at 4:30pm, when security opened the gates, a plan had come together. I told Chris and Dennis that I was going to head for the front rail. I told Meg and her friend that I would like to join them at the front. I also told the girls how to get to the front, and then advised them to sit down when they’d got to the rail (as this is what fans did at other shows). This spiel must have either impressed them or confused them because they asked me to step in front of them in the queue and lead the way.

Other fans had told me many times before about how nervous they usually feel just before the GA gates open. I hadn’t quite appreciated what they meant until around 4:15pm on Friday. I felt the butterflies as soon as Jay Z’s soundcheck finished, and the fans behind us who had previously been seated, stood up and began to shuffle forward. Some fans behind me also commented on their nerves. We were like greyhounds on amphetamines in the traps before a race. People were jumpy; there was a anxious, jittery tension in the air. We were all about to enter a short dash, competing against other fellow frantic U2 fans for a prized spot on the front rail.

More burly security guards came over to the fence. They explained very calmly that they expected us to walk slowly behind them down the steps and across the field when they moved the fence to let us through. Then they moved the fence to let us through.

Charge!

I was on the left of the crowd walking behind the line of security down the steps onto the field. The stewards were continually telling fans to “Slow down! Take it easy! Slow down!”

At the bottom of the steps the stewards and the fans ahead of me all veered right to aim for the centre of the outer rail. I quickly took a sharp left to speed walk onto the athletics track that led straight to the entrance to the pit on Edge’s side. I could hear the security guys roaring “This way!” at me, ordering me to follow them onto the field. But I was aiming for the pit.

I was rebelliously leading the way, with hundreds of people behind me. Some fans behind me thought that they needed to go where the security were telling us to, and said that I was going the wrong way. However I knew the layout of the field too well for that. The shortest route to the front rail was this way.

“Keep walking!” I urgently told the people behind me. “Just keep walking!”

We speed walked along the athletics track. At the gates to the pit I was overtaken by Anna, a cute young Auckland girl who had been #1 in the GA queue the day before, and who I suspected had hopes to be taken up onstage by Bono that night. And then Mirco overtook me in the pit. So I was actually the third person to get to the rail.

Someone had told me earlier that I should aim for a spot slightly to the right of where Bono stands, as this spot offers the best views and photos of Bono, because he usually holds his microphone in his right hand and this can obscure photos taken from that side. So I plopped myself down on a spot a couple of feet to the right of the centre. Meg and her friend sat down next to me, like those who feel a touch of madness.

Charge over! Job done! Well done team! The front rail was grabbed!

Meg and her friend sat down next to me, like those who feel a touch of madness.

Haha, brilliant.

Cathal, this is seriously the best description I have ever read of those anxious moments leading up to the gates opening...

Of course, I've only ever read this one description of those moments, but it's still pretty good.

There was also an Italian called Mirco (interestingly, the only other European I met that day). Of the nine people ahead of me in the queue, six of them wanted to go to the outer rail.

Charge over! Job done! Well done team! The front rail was grabbed!

ahhaah Mirko is my friend..the one of the "phone call" ahaha he was so excited! he prepared big signs to show them!
:)

Well Done!!! Cathalmc.... front row is always front row

errr Cathal - nice description of waiting and walking....but where's your f'ing gig review???

It's an over-written fan experience, which I believe is allowed under the forum title!

The f'ing gig review is blighted by bland comments such as "POPULAR LIVE SONG is even better when seen from the front row", and "UNPOPULAR LIVE SONG is actually really good when seen from the front row."

Except Streets. I think it's better when seen from further away, or perhaps even from up in the seats.

Great description Cathal!! Wow, can't believe how laid back the Kiwis are-- Such a contrast to Sevilla, where there were 250 people in line at 8 pm the night before. Glad you finally got to experience front row-- you going to join us crazy GA-goers in any future lines? ;)

Also, are you planning to make it to South Africa?

The queues this tour were very small in Auckland. I was very surprised when we turned up on Friday. Cathal you were just in front of us. Security were trying their best to delay us getting into the pit on Friday even trying to give us neck stamps before going to the pit. It always pays to do your homework before going to a concert so we weren't swayed. I can honestly say that you are defintely a fast walker!!!! I didn't know you were that tall Cathal. I can just imagine what people were saying behind you but then you deserved to get there as you queued for that position.

Hi Cathal, you were quite the local celebrity at the gigs and some friends of mine were right behind you and didn't seem to mind your height :) Anna was very taken with the book and it gave us all something to read in the queue! My GA queuing friend and I got there on Friday at 12.30pm and still ended up on the front rail 1 spot away from mirko so yep queues were def short in Auckland.

Yes Kramweat1 Ohope is the long ocean beach just over the hill from Whakatane.

We rented a house on the beach there for a week for Christmas 2004. East of there, we found an old logging road to drive on Christmas Day. We could have died, and no one would have found us for weeks.
Dangerous, old, single-lane NZ roads FTW!!! Better than roller coasters.

Ah, memories. Sorry, back to U2.

Back
Top Bottom