Note to Joe O'Herlihy - Upper Deck sound worthless in high stadiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celebration

The Fly
The sound was so bad in the upper deck at Fed-Ex I thought it deserved a thread to see if there's a remedy before the show hits other large, vertical stadiums. I was actually on the floor (like most on this board) and had a terrific time at a fabulous show but many of our friends were in the upper deck and had a miserable time, as did many, many others based on reviews on various sites. I've never had so many so people say they didn't get their money's worth at a U2 show - heartbreaking. And I've never seen such variety in reviews - great time for those below - almost worthless time for those up top. The band would be devastated to know so many people couldn't connect with the show due to poor sound.

The particular problem at Fed-Ex was the combination of the vertical rise of the stadium and the configuration of the speakers on the claw. The sheer rise of the stadium kept too much of the echo inside the stadium. I wasn't at the Paul McCartney show but I've heard the sound was much better - probably because the sound WASN'T 360. Stadium sound is rarely great but it's manageable when one bank of speakers overpowers the others - if the speakers are all competing at near equal volume you have serious problems.

Some ideas for the crew:

1) Walk around the upper deck during soundcheck to get a feel for the sound - you may be appalled.

2) Consider adding another bank of speakers somewhere, somehow to cut through the echo - I doubt this is feasible but it should at least be consider. Again, Fed-Ex itself was at least 50 percent of the problem but other stadiums with a high vertical rise could be a problem as well.

I'm a lifelong U2 and was really shocked at how many people had a terrible experience. It was so bad that many casual fans won't give the band a second chance if they want to continue to play in stadiums. Sorry to be so negative but I know the band and everyone on the crew are professionals and want to give EVERYONE a great experience (that's the whole point of the tour)

I had GA at Gillette but all the online comments I have read indicated that the same was true for Gillette Stadium as well, in the upper deck. Stadium sound is usually iffy, but I would guess that it might have something to do with the claw set up. A security person told my friend that the delay in letting people in the night I went was related to Bono no being happy with the sound. I doubt that he goes into the upper deck to listen so I don't know if that was related at all. I know nothing about sound and speakers but I'd like to think they check it out from all decks. My friend was in the 200's, the second deck there, and she said the sound was pretty good there.

At Gillette people in the 300's moved to walkways and to a walkway that goes over a stadium entrance, the one that leads to the lighthouse. Don't know if you can do that anywhere at Fed Ex.

Yeah, my parents were in the 300s for Gillette night 2, and they said the sound was awful. Such an echo that they sometimes could not tell what Bono was saying, not to mention singing. Fortunately they still loved the show due to the amazing special effects and the whole energy of Bono and gang. I'm actually surprised they took it so well. I would have been soooo angry! :fist::banghead::madwife::censored: (haha I never get to use the angry smilies, and they're just so great)

Sounds like our stadium. It's like that at every concert. Sounds get worse the higher you go up to the stands. The echo is annoying. Don't think it's U2's fault. Stadiums just aren't made for rock concerts.

yeah, i think it's just certain stadiums as well. i sat in two different sections each night in chicago, and i noticed on one side there was an echo (though not really noticeable, especially not during the songs), yet the other night in a different area there was no echo.

i'm guessing just with the layout of stadiums and maybe even the outdoor aspect just means the acoustics won't be perfect.

i feel like the sound in stadiums is way better than in arenas.

i was in the rafters for Springsteen (arena) and sometimes didn't even know what song he was playing.

both nights for U2 were nearly perfect, though i was GA and 100s.

^ some arena ceilings vibrate like crazy, almost like the sound of steel wires on a snare drum, there just isn't going to be perfect audio period.

It doesnt help if it's windy, cold and humid, which I heard it was in DC. cold air condenses sound waves, warmer air masses widens sound waves. warm air in the seats rises, cold air aloft (in the rafters). bloody hell, The Edge should know this :doh: he's our scientist.

The particular problem at Fed-Ex was the combination of the vertical rise of the stadium and the configuration of the speakers on the claw. The sheer rise of the stadium kept too much of the echo inside the stadium. I wasn't at the Paul McCartney show but I've heard the sound was much better - probably because the sound WASN'T 360. Stadium sound is rarely great but it's manageable when one bank of speakers overpowers the others - if the speakers are all competing at near equal volume you have serious problems.

McCartney at Fedex had an echo too. Fedex is basically just giant, vertical concrete walls. I was in RZ and had an echo. At Scott Stadium last night, I was in RZ again and there was no echo - it was crystal clear. Scott Stadium is lower and has one open end, which helps. Low, flat stadiums are much better IMO.

I had GA at Gillette but all the online comments I have read indicated that the same was true for Gillette Stadium as well, in the upper deck. Stadium sound is usually iffy, but I would guess that it might have something to do with the claw set up. A security person told my friend that the delay in letting people in the night I went was related to Bono no being happy with the sound. I doubt that he goes into the upper deck to listen so I don't know if that was related at all. I know nothing about sound and speakers but I'd like to think they check it out from all decks. My friend was in the 200's, the second deck there, and she said the sound was pretty good there.

At Gillette people in the 300's moved to walkways and to a walkway that goes over a stadium entrance, the one that leads to the lighthouse. Don't know if you can do that anywhere at Fed Ex.

Wille mentioned on his diary on U2.com that Gillette was the biggest challenge acoustically on the tour so far...I wonder if he thinks Fed Ex may have topped that.

Sound in the upper level of Giants in the very back was perfect. DC has a shitty stadium

SMB

:up:

I sat behind the stage in the 300 level for NJ1 and the sound was spectacular. I also second the fact that DC has a shitty stadium. Go Eagles :lol:

The sound was so bad in the upper deck at Fed-Ex I thought it deserved a thread to see if there's a remedy before the show hits other large, vertical stadiums. I was actually on the floor (like most on this board) and had a terrific time at a fabulous show but many of our friends were in the upper deck and had a miserable time, as did many, many others based on reviews on various sites. I've never had so many so people say they didn't get their money's worth at a U2 show - heartbreaking. And I've never seen such variety in reviews - great time for those below - almost worthless time for those up top. The band would be devastated to know so many people couldn't connect with the show due to poor sound.

Some ideas for the crew:

1) Walk around the upper deck during soundcheck to get a feel for the sound - you may be appalled.

2) Consider adding another bank of speakers somewhere, somehow to cut through the echo - I doubt this is feasible but it should at least be consider. Again, Fed-Ex itself was at least 50 percent of the problem but other stadiums with a high vertical rise could be a problem as well.

I'm a lifelong U2 and was really shocked at how many people had a terrible experience. It was so bad that many casual fans won't give the band a second chance if they want to continue to play in stadiums. Sorry to be so negative but I know the band and everyone on the crew are professionals and want to give EVERYONE a great experience (that's the whole point of the tour)

Fed Ex Field Upper Deck for any show sucks! When it opened for the first concert ever in 1997 the Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon tour they said it had the best sound than any stadium in the US even for concerts. The sound does bounce around up there. It was a terrible experience in the upper deck for that show in 1997 and its not U2's fault its the stadium. Technically I would ask the promoter for a refund since you could not hear the show due to the upper deck sound sucking. They should never sell upper deck seats at Fed Ex Field.

When we were in line for Foxboro 2, the people next to us asked us how the sound was on the floor. They were asking because at Foxboro 1, the sound was terrible in the upper deck.

And Khanada, my inner rail skank can't handle being so far up. :sad: But if I see a show with my mom next leg, I'll suck it up and go for seats. Oh the sacrifices we make for our loved ones. :sigh:

:wink:

Folks - read the reviews of the Dallas show on U2tours/U2gigs, etc. Sound was horrendous in upper decks. They really need to fix this before the next leg. So many people (long-time fans) are feeling ripped off U2 may not be able to fill stadiums again (which might not be a bad thing).

It's the stadium, not U2. It's clear that in a stadium like this, the sound cannot be good. A venue like the Dallas stadium looks great, but simply isn't suitable for rock concerts. I'm surprised they even sold the tickets for the upper decks. As soon as you play in a bowl like that, accoustics will be horrible, no matter how good your sound system is.

It's the stadium, not U2. It's clear that in a stadium like this, the sound cannot be good. A venue like the Dallas stadium looks great, but simply isn't suitable for rock concerts. I'm surprised they even sold the tickets for the upper decks. As soon as you play in a bowl like that, accoustics will be horrible, no matter how good your sound system is.
exactly.

most stadiums simply aren't built for rock concerts. they're built for sporting events, where acoustics don't really matter. it's all about squeezing as many people as possible into the stadium and making sure everyone gets a decent view of the field.

exactly.

most stadiums simply aren't built for rock concerts. they're built for sporting events, where acoustics don't really matter. it's all about squeezing as many people as possible into the stadium and making sure everyone gets a decent view of the field.

Well, for stadiums acoustics do matter, but in another way. Take Wembley for instance, where there was a huge echo during the U2 concert. Well, that stadium is built in a way that the cheers (and boos) will be reflected back to the field, so that the players can feel the energy of the crowd. But yeah, it also means that for a concert, the sound is being reflected back to the field...

No, actually it is the stadium AND U2. Stadiums echo only when a sound is produced by an external force. Stadiums don't manifest echo by themselves.

Look, we're all U2 lovers for the most part. There are ways to fix this (extra speaker banks near the upper decks, etc.) but the band won't bother if they think it's only a handful of complainers. The truth is there are thousands and thousands of people (including die hard fans) who have felt ripped off because of hideous sound in the upper decks this tour.

Everyone knows stadiums aren't built for concerts. The point is if U2 wants to keep playing stadiums they can't ignore the problem. For instance, I was on the floor (best sound ever for me at a U2 gig) but helped buy tickets for four friends in the upper decks. They felt jipped and I was embarrassed. I won't be buying tickets for anyone or encouraging anyone to buy tickets for anywhere but the floor or lower decks on future legs. If enough people do that, U2 has a serious problem.

For instance, I was on the floor (best sound ever for me at a U2 gig) but helped buy tickets for four friends in the upper decks. They felt jipped and I was embarrassed. I won't be buying tickets for anyone or encouraging anyone to buy tickets for anywhere but the floor or lower decks on future legs. If enough people do that, U2 has a serious problem.

Oooh! and if this keeps happening, maybe U2 will eventually play theatres with great sound and sight lines for all! :hyper:

(I know it's a pipe dream, but it's my pipe dream and I like it. :grumpy: )

Oooh! and if this keeps happening, maybe U2 will eventually play theatres with great sound and sight lines for all! :hyper:

(I know it's a pipe dream, but it's my pipe dream and I like it. :grumpy: )

A brilliant idea. Take a city with demand for 80,000 tickets and make 3500 available. They'll be nice and cheap, and Bono's voice will be superb after a 600 show leg. :|

A brilliant idea. Take a city with demand for 80,000 tickets and make 3500 available. They'll be nice and cheap, and Bono's voice will be superb after a 600 show leg. :|

You might want to look for your sense of humour, it seems to be missing. :rolleyes:

You might also want to look up the definition of pipe dream. :wink:

Edge's comment in Rolling Stone that this is a big as they can get was oddly comforting. Maybe he's thinking they're TOO BIG and competing w/ the setting, however cool it is. I prefer arenas personally which is always a possibility ...

Celebration, maybe Joe O'Herlihy was on the shitter the whole show you were at and as a result it was a terrible show for your buddies. Don't blame U2 or the venue, blame the soundguy. :wink:

I was at PopMart and at U2360 at the SAME Toronto venue and can personally tell you the actual culprit is the venue. plain and simple. get rid of all that concrete and all that glass projecting vertically. get rid of any major ceiling or overhang.

even if they had extra speakers in the upper deck, it would sound the same barring no other changes to the venue, sorry.

No, actually it is the stadium AND U2. Stadiums echo only when a sound is produced by an external force. Stadiums don't manifest echo by themselves.

Look, with the exception of a few other artist, U2 are the only band that can play stadiums, and in many cases, its necessary given the level of demand. U2 did their first headlining stadium show back in 1985, a quarter of a century ago. Joe, crew, and band are more experienced at playing stadiums around the world than any other act out there. They have played stadiums of all shapes and sizes from South Africa to Chile, to Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hawaii, Israel, BOSNIA, Norway, Poland, Ireland, and yes nearly every major stadium venue in North America. They know what they are doing. They have the most advanced sound system that money can buy. Cutting edge technology. There is not another more experienced or capable sound crew out there than U2's, nor is there a better equipped one.

Look, we're all U2 lovers for the most part. There are ways to fix this (extra speaker banks near the upper decks, etc.) but the band won't bother if they think it's only a handful of complainers. The truth is there are thousands and thousands of people (including die hard fans) who have felt ripped off because of hideous sound in the upper decks this tour.

Do you have the names of all these thousand and thousands of people who you allege are complaining. I was at the FEDEX show and I looked up at the upper decks and it appeared to me like people were having a good time. There were people standing up and dancing.

Everyone knows stadiums aren't built for concerts. The point is if U2 wants to keep playing stadiums they can't ignore the problem. For instance, I was on the floor (best sound ever for me at a U2 gig) but helped buy tickets for four friends in the upper decks. They felt jipped and I was embarrassed.

1. Upper deck tickets at Fedex Field were only $30 dollars a ticket.

2. Were your friends U2 fans? Had they ever seen U2 before? Had they ever been to a stadium concert before? Its not like listening to music on your headphones at home! Its a rock concert, ITS LOUD, the crowd is LOUD, it is the opposite of listening to your stereo in your bedroom.

3. There is often someone at every rock show for whom the sound was not good, regardless if its a stadium, arena, theater, club, bar, back yard etc. No artist or sound crew is ever going to be able to please everybody. Its obvious that someone who is used to the sound they get at an opera or Orchestra is going to be a little taken aback at a rock concert.

4. For some, the sheer volume is overwhelming and the source of the problem. Thats why wearing musicians ear plugs at a big production like this helps.

U2 have been playing stadiums for 25 years, and if they want to will be playing stadiums for another 25+ years as well. If there were any serious problems with sound, they would fix it, if it was something that could be fixed.

We've already had multiple people in here say that the sound from the UPPER DECKS was fantastic at the shows they were at.

If enough people do that, U2 has a serious problem.

There won't ever be a problem like that, although you sound as if you want there to be.

Back
Top Bottom