Note to Joe O'Herlihy - Upper Deck sound worthless in high stadiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer arenas personally which is always a possibility ...

ahhhh, I think we found the real reason behind this protest.:wink:

Edge's comment in Rolling Stone that this is a big as they can get was oddly comforting. Maybe he's thinking they're TOO BIG and competing w/ the setting, however cool it is.

No, he is thinking in terms of the size, logistics and economics of taking three stages of this size around the entire planet with them. It takes several hundred trucks, and the largest road crew in history. The entire Claw covers HALF of the field when looking at the distance between the four pillars.

The only additional thing I could see them doing is moving the Claw to the very center of the field and having two B-stages, one in each endzone where they would play a couple of songs during the set. Other than design changes for the overall stage, I think that would be it.

I seriously doubt the Rolling Stones will try this either. The Rolling Stones prefer a seated field where they can charge $400 dollars a ticket for the best seats. But more importantly its very difficult to fill an entire football stadium in the round or in 360 for a show. The stage set up allows you to sell tens of thousands more seats for the show. Attendance at Stones shows has been gradually declining each tour, while U2's attendance levels are increasing. You need unbelievably strong attendance to do a tour like this.

Well, for stadiums acoustics do matter, but in another way. Take Wembley for instance, where there was a huge echo during the U2 concert. Well, that stadium is built in a way that the cheers (and boos) will be reflected back to the field, so that the players can feel the energy of the crowd. But yeah, it also means that for a concert, the sound is being reflected back to the field...
good point, i hadn't thought of that. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom