No Alcohol At U2 show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moonpie

The Fly
The recently announced Minneapolis show will be held at the Univ of Mn football stadium, where beer is not sold because it is on campus. Is this common for shows at campus stadiums? If you have attended an alcohol free show did you notice a difference in the crowd?

I know about prepartying. I know that getting too drunk ruins the show. I don't need alcohol to enjoy a concert.
However, it strikes me as odd that the band / venue would not want to capture the extra revenue from beer sales.

Not quite the same thing, but Key Arena in Seattle doesn't let you bring beer into the arena for rock concerts. You can guzzle down all you can in the concession areas (or whatever you call the part of the arena that's not actually the arena), but you can't bring it in.

You could bring it to your seat for basketball games (when we had a team and all), so it's bizarre that you can't for concerts.

Anyway - if their reason for being dry is because it's on campus, I can't imagine they would allow an exception just because it's a huge rock concert, so I don't think it's odd at all.

I'm curious to see if all the casual fan lookie-loos who will be there just to be there will stay put in their seats during the songs they don't know. If they don't have beer to buy, will they stay and listen and not stream toward the exits? :wink:

I drink but I'd be totally fine going to a show that doesn't serve alcohol. In fact, I think it would be better. No drunk idiots pushing and falling all over you. :up:

Not quite the same thing, but Key Arena in Seattle doesn't let you bring beer into the arena for rock concerts. You can guzzle down all you can in the concession areas (or whatever you call the part of the arena that's not actually the arena), but you can't bring it in.

concourse :wink:

i don't bother drinking at concerts, so i wouldn't care. probably lead to less douchebaggery, so it's cool. ultimately i won't be there, so i don't really care though, lol.

People will probably still find a way to bring booze in.

In Foxboro, there was a drunk dude behind us the 9/20 show. My friend was afraid to sit down against the rail because she didn't want him stumbling on her. Ugh.

The show in Raleigh was dry also. I didn't notice any difference in the crowd. Then again walking out of the GA area I noticed the entire floor was strewn with airplane sized liquor bottles.

The show in Raleigh was dry also. I didn't notice any difference in the crowd. Then again walking out of the GA area I noticed the entire floor was strewn with airplane sized liquor bottles.

I was just going to say this. Raleigh was my first dry U2 show. The crowd was into the band for sure. I remember there being less assholes while I was moving back to the rail from going to the washroom.

That being said. I was definitely tipsy for Toronto 1 and 2.....and had a great time with beer in hand.

Ramblin Rose is right. People still find a way to get it in. The floor had zillions of miniature bottles.

And that will happen at any event in a college stadium, not just a U2 show. :lol:

Hell, I'd be getting plastered if I were going to NC State with a football team like that.

Actually, that sounds pretty good. I don't see much reason to drink at a concert unless it's at a small venue. And at a really good show, you sort of feel above having anything to drink, let alone getting plastered.

Besides, all you guys can come back to my house afterward. I got like 15 cases and Daft Punk are playing!

I was just going to say this. Raleigh was my first dry U2 show. The crowd was into the band for sure. I remember there being less assholes while I was moving back to the rail from going to the washroom.

That being said. I was definitely tipsy for Toronto 1 and 2.....and had a great time with beer in hand.

Ramblin Rose is right. People still find a way to get it in. The floor had zillions of miniature bottles.

Yeah, Raleigh & Charlottesville were "dry" - unless you count the 10,000 mini bottles smuggled in & comsumed during the shows. :lol: I didn't notice an increase or decrease in the douchebag quotient between those two dry venues & the GA dome where beer was served. I like to believe this is a testament to the general awesomeness of most U2 fans. ;)

And I must add: Mark, that new avatar is EPIC!! :up: :up: :up: :D

I don't drink at shows if I do GA , and even in a seat, I don't leave fir anything so still don't have but 1or2 beers so I don't have to get up.

Do they sell pot at any venues in North America? :hmm:

Right, I didn't think so.

Prohibition is ridiculous. If people want to do it, they will get creative (or stupid) and do it. We might as well recognize this and at least get the revenue from the sales.

My particular problem with the Gopher stadium is that one of the reasons cited for the prohibition is that it would prevent underage drinking. :lol: No, it just promotes binge drinking and creative flask hiding.

Whatever. I lost that battle.

To the OP question--I have not been at a dry show before. But, I never have been afraid to go ask a security guard to do something about someone who is being an ass--drunk, high or just an ass.

I don't know why there has to be alcohol at any concert or event. Plus i can't enjoy the show (cheer, dance, clap) if i have beverages or food i'm trying to juggle. the cell shaped flask sounds pretty cool though! lol

A lot of college stadiums are dry, it's also why some in certain areas can't attract live acts...

But one of the most ingenious methods I saw of sneaking in alcohol was a woman who wore this "camelbak" device full of alcohol under a maternity dress and acted like she was pregnant.

A lot of college stadiums are dry, it's also why some in certain areas can't attract live acts...

But one of the most ingenious methods I saw of sneaking in alcohol was a woman who wore this "camelbak" device full of alcohol under a maternity dress and acted like she was pregnant.

that was ME!!

(j/k)

Norman is dry for football games but they sold beer up until the show actually started. We had our own personal beer guy who stayed with us the whole time.

At Charlottesville I bought a burger and can of Coke from a takeaway before the show. The can was soooo cold I had it inside a brown paper bag. I was stopped by an over zealous policewoman outside the stadium asking me if it was alcohol.

"No it's just Coke, wanna try some?"

I got ID-ed loadsa times too - I'm 36 years old with white hair in my dapper little goatee.

America is far too uptight about booze (said the Irishman).

America is far too uptight about booze (said the Irishman).

And the hypocrisy...

"Don't Drink and Drive!"
-This message brought to you by Bud Light and Chevy who encourage you to choose Bud Light and the all new Chevy Malibu.

"Drink Responsibly"
-This message brought to you by Bacardi Rum, now available in the special 6 liter party-size bottle.

:lol:

Drink occasionally at shows... doesn't bother me that the show won't be serving anything.

I just don't get why people get drunk at U2 concert, you're going for the music, not to ruin yourself.

No, I don't understand drunk at a concert.
Loose, tipsy, relaxed--Yes.
Drunk--No.

I prefer alcohol sales at a concert because often you need to drive to a concert, and it is not cool/fun/safe to drink beforehand and drive there--or, to piss off a designated driver with your confined drunken behavior on the ride there--fascinating concert anecdotes, singing, etc.

I believe I've only been drunk at 3 concerts (and the fact that I can remember which ones means I wasn't that drunk), none of them U2 and none in the last 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom