My first experience with U2 - Zagreb and London August 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krisi83

The Fly
Hi :wave:
I am the wife of Paulrg and this is my first post:
We flew to Zagreb about 1 ½ weeks ago and now it felt more like 3 weeks. We stayed at the Westin in Zagreb and while waiting for our room in the lobby of the hotel our U2 experience started. We saw the crew at the hotel and my husband which is a very big U2 fan quickly spotted Sam O Sullivan. This was amazing. Later the receptionist confirmed to my husband that the crew was only staying at this hotel. I even thought of leaving a message for Sam…I really wanted to get my husband a autograph of U2 but that seemed rather mental. After some exploring of Zagreb we decided to go to the bar to see whether there was anybody down there and in fact there were a couple of guys. Even some playing the piano and we were already wondering whether they would be the support band. The next day we saw these guys at the concert and they were the Hours. That was unbelievable. After the concert we saw Mike Moore from the Hours and we just had a quick chat. You know we did not want to bother anybody. After the chat we went to the bar and surprisingly Snow Patrol met the Hours there to have a drink. Unfortunately the hotel was not up for so many guests, at first the bar maid did not have enough glasses and drinks and then it gone to two and she wanted to close. Some guys of Snow Patrol asked her for another drink and she did not give in. After that my husband asked her nicely and he got one drink. He was quite amazed to get a drink when someone from Snow Patrol was not able to get one more.
Around lunch time on Monday we thought let us go to the hotel of U2 just to see. On arrival we noticed some paparazzi and a TV crew. We went in and had a drink at the lobby and already saw some fanatic fans. One girl seemed to be really mad, she was sweet but also a bit annoying. So we waited some time and then stood at the reception area while outside the hotel the fans were getting more and more. It was a strange and positive atmosphere. Soon my husband spotted Brian the bodyguard of U2 and we looked at him. After some time he came over and said to us that if we stay inside the hotel U2 will just walk straight past us. He explained very nice that the band consider the hotel their home when they are on the road and that they would not do autographs, photos etc. inside but would be stopping outside. He said they have had this policy for 10 years. We said fair enough, thanked him and followed his advice and went out. He managed that very well and we appreciated that he took the time in a busy day to explain. My husband spotted a good position next to the bands cars outside the hotel and next to the TV crew. God they were annoying (the TV crew). Imagine, at first a woman (we think Bono’s assistant) and a man went into the bus and the TV crew told them to leave the bus…I mean what the fu….did they think they are!?
Anyway, Larry was the first one out and there the strange girl from the lobby comes back and she was going mad so that Brian had to take her away. I cannot really understand her behavior. Yes, when you are 14 and you are waiting for a boy band this is understandable but these guys are married and everything. I think there was no need to be so fanatic about it. Larry just quickly gone out and back in and soon Adam showed up. He gave autographs and seemed very kind to the fans. Unfortunately, he did not come to us. Then Bono also showed up and gave autographs. At this point I already thought we would not get anything because it seemed like he wanted to go into the cars at the back and not the bus where we were standing. Luckily, suddenly he headed in our direction and went to the TV crew. I was holding my paper out to get an autograph and soon got a bit annoyed as he just did not sign it. So he quickly talked to the TV crew while I was waving the note pad under his nose :madwife: and then finally he signed it. That was great as I really wanted to get my husband an autograph. One advice to all the U2 fans try to stay calm when they are near, I am sure they prefer it. Also do not forget they are as human as us even though their appearance is more stunning.
I later searched the net and found myself and bono on TV. At night we went to our second concert and this time we were at the back of the claw and that was a great spot. The stadium was quite low so we could look over the top to the tents of the stars and we saw the groups going to the stage. If you do not want to stand then this is a great spot to sit. The night before we were opposite that side, so we were sitting far away from the claw. This was alright but the other side was even better. At the concert the atmosphere was great. The shows are quite a positive lift up. I always liked some U2 songs but was not really a fan but now I am definitely a fan of their live performances. There is just something magic. After the shows we flew home to the land of cows and chocolate and then on Thursday we flew to London. We were only going to the Saturday‘s show but luckily my husband found some tickets for the Friday.
This time we were in the standing zone and so we knew we had to be early to get a great spot. We waited outside with all the other fans sitting on the street and I thought that was as crazy as it was good. We were lucky and got to the front row. My husband was quite excited as he never was so close to them. He really enjoyed it. I was so amazed about the U2 fans. Honestly they were so behaved I could not believe it. When you left you got your spot back. They were looking after each other - great people. We thought the sound was terrible in Wembley on Friday. Sadly it totally spoiled the show of the Hours but anyway Adam looked at us and also waved to us. That was quite sweet. Again it was completely different to be in the front when you see them up close.
On Saturday we went even earlier to the stadium and went to the waiting place where we were the first night and we were even more ahead then on Friday. We were quite risky because our entrance was at another side but there was a strange feeling in the air and it was not so good to sit down. So we risked it and we got in and we got into the inner circle again. For your information we first got a wrist band for the standing area and when we left the inner circle we got a wrist band which said inner circle so we could always go back. We were very fortunate and got into the same position as the night before and this night they opened the roof at Wembley so the sound was much better and some lively fans from Brazil were next to us. Gosh they were so excited and asked us whether the position was alright and it was. It was on the right on Adams side. During the show they also put the bridge there so we could look at Adam and Bono very close and Larry and Edge passed by. Pretty good and you could always leave to go the toilet. I guess in the middle front side this would not be so easy. Adam recognised us which was very good and even Bono looked at us. That show was the best of all of them. The Hours were great and gave a more relaxed performance. They were pretty nervous in Zagreb. The lead singer was so passionate about the crowd and even threw the drum sticks into the crowd and U2 gave that night their best. I loved their passion. How they dedicate themselves to Aung San Suu Kyi and Iran and how they just present themselves. Adam always seemed like a cool chilled rock star. He was just standing there and enjoyed the show and I especially loved his outfit. He is almost fifty and still so cool, pretty good, it looked like he just climbed mount Everest and stood at the top and looked down and enjoyed his accomplishment. :applaud:This was a great experience and I am very grateful that my husband brought me there.
The U2 Live fan.
ps paulrg will post pics later.

Pictures from outside the hotel in Zagreb last Monday, August 11 2009. All are from video we took with our little camera except for the tv screen capture which was from local news and shows krisi83 getting the autograph.

372217682.jpg

372217680.jpg

372217679.jpg

372217678.jpg

372217675.jpg

372217674.jpg

372217671.jpg

372217664.jpg

Awesome. Glad you had a great time. In my experiences of meeting the band is that if everyone stays clam it will go good for everyone. It just takes one person to ruin it.

Always great hearing other fans' stories of meeting the band. Thanks for sharing it with us! I know the feeling of meeting them - it's the one you will never forget krisi83.

But how do all the fans always manage to find out what hotels the band is staying at? :hmm:

Always great hearing other fans' stories of meeting the band. Thanks for sharing it with us! I know the feeling of meeting them - it's the one you will never forget krisi83.

But how do all the fans always manage to find out what hotels the band is staying at? :hmm:
By luck. My husband read it in the local paper. He translated the website with the google translator.
:shh:

Here is our video of meeting Bono & Adam outside the hotel in Zagreb last Monday August 11th.

Unfortunately we did not realise the audio was turned off when we were filming so it is video only.

YouTube - P8100045

I'm going to see U2 for the very 1st time in Charlottesville in October (I'm soooo excited:love:). I have reserved seats, but... and please don't laugh... how early should I get there???
And has security let people bring in their cameras in this tour? I'm talking about a point and shoot of course, not anything big.

I'm going to see U2 for the very 1st time in Charlottesville in October (I'm soooo excited:love:). I have reserved seats, but... and please don't laugh... how early should I get there???
And has security let people bring in their cameras in this tour? I'm talking about a point and shoot of course, not anything big.

:wave: Hi Kara

If you would like to see the support bands then you would probably like to be there earlier. The times of the support bands vary where you are. In some places they only have one support band. You would have to find that out beforehand. Both in Zagreb and in London they opened the doors at 4.30pm.

With regard to your camera, we heard from a security guy that cameras with detachable lenses are not allowed. We had a small one with us and we were fine.

I hope you have a nice show. :rockon:

Kristin

You can always bring your camera in for U2. It can't have a detachable lens though

Either I am dumber than a pile of rocks or some of these rules make no sense:huh:

& what is the deal w/ taking Bottled Water Caps OFF the bottle:ohmy:

The water caps can cause aggression and violent behaviour. :banghead: :yell: :shame:

;) They probably wanted to sell more. The first night in Zagreb when we were at the seats more far away from the stage they took the caps off the bottles but the next day when we were behind the stage at the more pricy seats they left the caps on.:coocoo:

I'm not sure I'm understanding this... so if I have a water bottle with me, they'll make me remove the cap off?? :hmm:

(And thanks Laura and Kristin for answering my question about the camera):sexywink:

Kara

Someone told me it's because a full AND closed bottle is much more dangerous than the bottle without the top, because when you decide to throw the bottle and the top is off, the water runs out and it isn't as heavy and therefore as dangerous any more. Just an explanation, don't know if it's true :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom