June 7, 2011 - Overstock.com Coliseum - Oakland, CA - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:10 PM
June 7, 2011 - Overstock.com Coliseum - Oakland, CA

I'll post mine later. Still exhausted

Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Upload to the gallery please (I've uploaded mine)

June 7, 2011 - Oakland Coliseum - Oakland, CA - Interference.com Photo Gallery (U2 Photos, U2 Concert Photos, Member Photos)

Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:10 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels exhausted after doing GA. Get some rest guys, and then we want to hear and read and watch all about it!!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

My short review: very, very fun show. I did GA - got there around 10 a.m. with my buddy, hung out in line w/ other fans, got wristbanded, and we made it into the heart at around 5 pm no problem. I was surprised by how crowded it was in there: I've done the heart a bunch of times over the Elevation/Vertigo/360 tours, and usually there's room to breathe and dance and spazz out, etc., but yesterday, except for the far edges, we were packed like sardines... probably the Coliseum's fault and not the band's, but as someone who's been spoiled by having lots of room, this was a little claustrophobic, and others seemed to be all saying the same thing. I'd be curious what others' thoughts were...

The show itself was great. For me personally, I enjoyed Cardiff and Rose Bowl 360 shows more, and the crowd seemed a little flat at times (Bono exhorting us to sing "you'll never walk alone" and no one doing it, etc.) but hearing Zooropa and Scarlet for the first time was fantastic.

Funny vignette: apparently Edge and Larry went out drinking tequila with Metallica and Green Bay (both Bay Area bands) the night before the show, and Bono was interviewing them both about the "summit meeting." "I think I remember maybe the first hour of it... keep in mind there was tequila," Edge joked. Good stuff.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Acrobat

Great show, much much better than the rose bowl
Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:10 AM
You got to hear larry sing a few lines that alone would make this fantastic for me
Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
The Fly

A fabulous show last night, I enjoyed this one more than Las Vegas nearly two years ago. I didn’t do GA this time as I got some great seats in 123. It’s not the same a being on the rail. But it’s a whole other vantage point to experience. I bought these seats the seconds they went on sale in 09. Watching the people in GA made me cringe. I took BART to the show and avoided the nightmare. Great move watching the freeway from the train. Ugh.

Overstock is a great way to describe this stadium it’s a dump and they need to blow it up. I hate this stadium. I have seen so many shows here over the decades. This show however was the best as far as Sound, Stage and Performance. Of course it was U2 the last of the great bands that hold down the tradition of straight forward rock. Bono’s line about how music shaped the Bay Area and the Bay Area shaped the world. Yea in some ways he was right. But I hated Bay Area “Hippie” bands in the 60’s. (I feel different now) The British set the bar. Or the Irish…IMO. U2 proved that again last night.

I was ambivalent about “Even Better” as an opener. But I was stunned. I thought this diesel version was one the best openers by any band in my some decades on this planet. (Edge's tone) I was floored with great sound mix right from the start. The set list ways a nice change up from two years ago. Highlights for me were the revamped “Magnificent” thought it had a dud point. (Zooropa as well) All the tracks from “Achtung Baby” were well received. “Miss Sarajevo” always creates a live spiritual moment with Bono. The set list has evolved so well over the last 2 years. It was fresh to my ears last night.

A great moment with Larry candidly singing “Perfect Day” they should have bought Lou up for a song. Commander Kelly’s moment was heartfelt. It made my wife cry. “She Knows” The last 1/3 of the set is well known and received. I hope they release another DVD of this leg of the 360 tour. It was so different from Vegas. The local reviews in the SF Weekly and Mercury News are just what to expect from today’s writers. It was a perfect show after waiting two years and getting older.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Bootleg is already up on U2 Torrents.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
I was surprised by how crowded it was in there: I've done the heart a bunch of times over the Elevation/Vertigo/360 tours, and usually there's room to breathe and dance and spazz out, etc., but yesterday, except for the far edges, we were packed like sardines... probably the Coliseum's fault and not the band's, but as someone who's been spoiled by having lots of room, this was a little claustrophobic, and others seemed to be all saying the same thing. I'd be curious what others' thoughts were..
I heard that U2 had 2400 people on the guestlist, most of whom probably had special Inner Circle wristbands, which would account for the unusually packed scene there. Kind of reminds me of what happened with the VIPs at the Vertigo Hawaii show.

It was nice and loose up front in the middle, though, nobody touched us the whole show.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2Play View Post
I heard that U2 had 2400 people on the guestlist, most of whom probably had special Inner Circle wristbands, which would account for the unusually packed scene there. Kind of reminds me of what happened with the VIPs at the Vertigo Hawaii show.

It was nice and loose up front in the middle, though, nobody touched us the whole show.
No wonder. I bet your smelly feet kept everyone away.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
No wonder. I bet your smelly feet kept everyone away.
Yes, I think I will use that secret plan to create space at all future shows
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

glad I got there early!

------

U2 concert turns into nightmare for motorists stuck in traffic

By Angela Woodall
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 06/08/2011 04:47:35 PM PDT

Some fans got a taste of the real thing at Tuesday night's U2 concert at the Overstock.com Coliseum in Oakland.

Others, stuck for hours in traffic that made Interstate 880 look more like an overflow parking lot than a freeway, just got a taste of frustration.

They ended up with nothing more than the distant echo of U2 carried to their car windows despite paying as much as $250 for tickets and driving for hours.

Rush-hour traffic, construction on arterial roadways and two minor accidents contributed to their plight.

But the car-bound fans -- many from the South Bay, Marin and Peninsula -- blamed the coliseum and Oakland for lacking the level of planning called for during a sold-out concert that drew in nearly 69,000 people.

"This concert was a complete fiasco and many thousands of on-time, paying attendees were not able to attend," read a typical complaint by a would-be attendee by the name of Mark Breier left on the blog of Bay Area News Group music critic Jim Harrington.

He said his family left the Peninsula at 6:15 p.m. and ended up turning around at 10:15 p.m. without ever having set foot near the Coliseum.

"Incredibly bad showing for U2 and Oakland Stadium," he wrote.

Another couple left Palo Alto at 5:50 p.m. and ended up in the gridlock that stretched from the coliseum to the Dumbarton Bridge.

They ended up paying a security guard $20 to park in the lot
Advertisement
of an office building on Oakport Street because the coliseum parking lot and official overflow parking lots were filled. "We didn't care," the woman said. It was either pay the guard $20 to avoid being towed or go home, she said.

They managed to catch about an hour of the 2½-hour U2 performance.

The coliseum opened the parking lot at 7 a.m. By 6:45 p.m. all 10,000 parking places in the coliseum and two overflow lots had filled up, said Ron Little, general manager for SMG, the venue management company that runs the coliseum.

"That's all we have available to us."

He said the traffic was to be expected because the concert was sold out.

Leaving at 6 p.m. and expecting to get into a concert that began at 7 p.m. is unrealistic, he said. "With a sold-out show that's just not possible."

BART riders avoided the traffic snarl getting into the show but leaving was more complicated. Gina Gotsill said she left the concert about 11:40 p.m. to get to BART in time for the last train to Concord. But her husband ended up having to pick her up because so many other people were trying to get to the BART Coliseum station that she was afraid she would miss the train. "It was an impossible situation," Gotsill said. "And a little terrifying," she said about the huge crowd on the overpass bridge.

Nearby roadways such as High Street and International Boulevard were open and residents rented out the driveways for a fee. Several parking lots east of the coliseum complex also were available. But many people took I-880 and were unfamiliar enough with Oakland to venture more than a mile beyond the coliseum.

They paid $40 for overflow parking and trekked over the freeway overpass that separates the lots from the coliseum.

A couple from Palo Alto said they were intimidated by Oakland's reputation for being an unsafe city so the mile walk across the overpass added fear to frustration.

Little said SMG put up electronic boards along Coliseum Way and 66th Avenue notifying drivers that the lots were full. "Other than drive them (to the concert) ourselves we're at a loss."

And although the show nearly reached the stadium capacity of 70,000 people, many people are familiar to SMG because Raiders games can clog the 66th Avenue exit to the Coliseum and snarls traffic for miles along 880.

Even the 90 Oakland officers called into police the concert had trouble finding parking, said Sgt. Tom Hogenmiller.

Parking shortages were exacerbated by the size of the show. Some 250 spots in the B section of the coliseum lot were taken by big rigs, buses and other vehicles carrying equipment, band members and crew. By 8 p.m. SMG began backfilling that section as well as the VIP parking area.

"There was just nowhere left to put people," Hogenmiller said.

It's a congested urban area and I-880 can come to a standstill on its own even where there are no events, he said. "There are certain things beyond our control."
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
The Fly

Did I hear?

A snippet of Mirror in the Bathroom at one point last night??
Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
"Incredibly bad showing for U2 and Oakland Stadium," he wrote.
I realize that Bono sings "I'm a traffic cop" on NLOTH, but he is not actually a traffic cop, nor a stadium or city planner.

U2 cannot control traffic and parking logistics.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Babyface

Tired, yeah. Arrived home in Sacramento at 3:00. Thanks again to Nick and Brad for keeping all the order that could be kept and to everyone in the GA line. It was great to meet you all. I have awesome photos to post a little later.