June 7, 2011 - Overstock.com Coliseum - Oakland, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought the Red Zone people were only allowed to go into the pit after the GA was let in, not before. If it was before then they basically are paying more money to be on the front rail.

I dont get why people would pay for Red Zone and then go into the pit. :crack:

I was so annoyed with my camera actually. Trying to mess with the settings while smashed in the pit just didnt work lol.. but a few did come out good. It's a Canon SX120.

Most people in our line knew that Red Zone bands could get u in the circle. And in the end...it was 5pm when both lines were allowed in anyways. Im with u Sicy...i would rather be mellow in red zone than crushed at front.

Sicy.. did you shoot manual mode the whole time on that camera? I had the most difficult time out on the field on the outer rail trying to keep the blur down with my Auto mode. I changed the iso to 1600, which helped a little, but about 75 percent of my shots were blurry/streaky. So frustrating..

Amazing night in Oakland!!!
Hubbie and I had Red Zone tickets.. but I was so excited I wanted to be there early, so we got to the Will Call at 1030am, picked up our Red Zone bands and tix, and found Gate A, where our "line" was. We found one other couple there in front of us! So we were second in line, and very happy about that. :D We wanted to get the front most spot of the Red Zone...
It was surprising to me... that only a few more people showed up. We were maybe 8 people til about 3pm. When doors opened at 5pm, there were a total of about 30-40 people there. There was some chaos before entering... security came to tell us that GA would go in at 445pm and Red Zone at 5. Wouldnt really matter for us, since we wanted to stay in the Red Zone.. but for the couple in front of us that wanted to go into the Circle.. it was getting stressful. So I called someone over from U2 security, and we made our case...and he agreed that was stupid. So at 5, they let us all in and everyone rushed down to the floor.. again, security was being stupid... trying to stop us with Red Zone bands, saying they werent valid because they didnt have guitars on them (like regular GA!) We kept running, but it was a little intense. Anyways, worked out that my husband and I were first in our Red Zone... so we ran into the corner front spot that I wanted :applaud: We had awesome people all around us.... this father/son duo that were in back of us in line ended up next to us.. pretty cool to see a little 9 yr old at his first U2 show :)

I was glad we stuck with Red Zone, as we were debating to go into the circle. It looked so packed in there.. people were like sardines.. I like to be able to leave to go use the restroom if needed, and we were lucky in Red Zone people were cool with it, up until right after Lenny. Then it got a little sketchy to leave.
The show was awesome.. I dont get the people saying Bono was sick/hoarse... I thought he looked full of energy and in great spririts... he is either a really good faker or he was feelin alright! All of them looked like they were having a great time out there! Loved the new visuals.. Zooropa was a highlight for me! Amazing! It was great to be back at the venue where the whole U2 dream started for me.. way back on 11/15/1987.. JT Tour.. back at the Colliseum.

I am sad its over... so much antipation and then seems like 2 seconds, poof its over... but I have Anaheim to look forward to next Friday.. cant wait!!! Im wondering if we should even attempt to get into the circle with our GA tix... if its packed like Oakland, it didnt look very tempting.

Anyways, the night proved to me that U2 will forever be, the BEST band in the world. Thank you U2, for brightening up my life!

Yeah!! :applaud: I am glad you got the number 1 spot on the rail like I did!! That's exactly where I was! Great view huh? Were you on Edge's side or Adam's? We were RZ1 Edge's side. Wow you waited a long time in line. Good for you. I can't believe people left an hour before expecting to get there OMG...:doh: ding dongs! :) Glad you had a great time!! Lucky you have a chance to go again! Have fun!!

Awesome pics Sicy. I actually spotted you in the heart (this is Tim M here from Facebook) - I think you were on the back rail, near the middle? I was maybe 20 people away and pretty squished so I couldn't really wander over to say hi! Glad everyone here had fun, despite some of the logistical stuff. The songs sounded so good...

Sicy.. did you shoot manual mode the whole time on that camera? I had the most difficult time out on the field on the outer rail trying to keep the blur down with my Auto mode. I changed the iso to 1600, which helped a little, but about 75 percent of my shots were blurry/streaky. So frustrating..

Auto mode is useless for concerts.. pictures will almost always come out blurry. I shot in semi manual.. 'TV' mode.. ISO at 800 and just messed with the shutter speed from shot to shot. Higher shutter speed = less blur, but darker pics unless you can get it perfect. Plus the lighting at these shows changes every 5 seconds so its really difficult to get good shots.

Awesome pics Sicy. I actually spotted you in the heart (this is Tim M here from Facebook) - I think you were on the back rail, near the middle? I was maybe 20 people away and pretty squished so I couldn't really wander over to say hi! Glad everyone here had fun, despite some of the logistical stuff. The songs sounded so good...

Aw yeah that was probably me :)

When I was a ripped-jeaned but fluffy-sleeved teenager, I used to try to write poems, believing I could become the ginger pony-tailed John Keats for Generation X. Unfortunately the poems were ego-bustingly rubbish. One of them was called “Spontaneity is the key”, as I always claimed that spontaneity was the most important thing in anything. I used to tell my mates at uni that “spontaneity is the key”, and this sometimes expanded to “spontaneity is the key to life”. I may even have believed that at one point too. Actually the full verse went:

Spontaneity is the key
Said the philosopher to his knee
This is my philosophy
Don’t leave home without one

Pop goes the ego.

In the switch from Lovetown to Zoo TV, a U2 concert went from being a ‘gig’ to being a ‘show’. The production changed from a big, printed, canvas stage backdrop and some flashing lights, to a huge overwhelming barrage of cutting-edge light and video technology. I never saw U2 play in the 80s, but for the purposes of this story it suits my argument to claim that gig spontaneity was boxed up and stashed when more TVs, power generators and cables started rolling in for the shows. Bono even claimed during the Zoo TV Thanksgiving special that “The trick is to make it look spontaneous”. And the trick usually works, especially if people only see one U2 show.

There is very little spontaneity at a U2 show these days. Almost everything is tightly controlled and rehearsed. The setlist rarely changes (“Six! Howzat!”), Bono stands in the same stage position and makes the same moves during parts of songs, and his audience interactions are structured and samey night to night.

So when Larry started singing a few lines of Perfect Day during the show in Oakland on Tuesday night, I almost choked on my cynicism. It could become one of my favourite moments in the whole tour. And it rescued me from a tired, bitter “meh” view of the gig. I've no idea if Larry's little karaoke piece was planned or not - but it certainly looked spontaneous. The trick worked. It was very funny and very wonderful, and re-energised me like I'd been plugged into the grid.

Brad, Jack and I had raced down the Pacific coast from Seattle in two days in Jack’s car. I’ve been losing lots of sleep during the last week (people out west don’t seem to believe in the sleep-enhancing properties of curtains), and I become a grumpy bastard when I’m tired (sorry guys!).

I watched Lenny Kravitz’s set from the nosebleed seats in the top tier behind the stage. But it was too cold up there so I thought I would try to sneak into a seat in a section lower down. I was moping wearily around the concourses behind the stands before U2 came on. I didn’t rush to find a seat when I heard Space Oddity start. I walked around as others ran for their seat. Just after Even Better had started, I noticed the steward controlling access to one area was watching the show. I quickly darted past him before he could check my ticket.

I saw three empty seats next to a guy at the end of a row, about halfway down the stairs. I slided past him and stood in front of one of the seats. After around twenty seconds he turned to me and shouted to me “My friends are in these seats”. I replied “Ah, ok!” and put a gentle hand on his arm to move past him. He then shouted “Beat it!” quite aggressively, which briefly tickled my “Excuse me?” confrontational side. I was tempted to linger annoyingly in front of him as I squeezed past him, but I tried very hard to let it go, and walked further down the stairs. The stairs led onto the field, and there wasn’t a steward at the bottom. So I walked out onto the field.

The Oakland Coliseum is a baseball stadium, so has an irregular egg shape. There were acres of space behind the Red Zones, and almost none between the outer rail and the soundboard because the grassy baseball diamond had been fenced off to keep the metallic floor coverings and fans off the turf.

I moved around the field during the show. I thought it was far more fun to watch the people than watch the show. There was certainly more variation in the people. There were many of sixty-something Woodstock veteran, hippy dudes, with beards and ponytails (and one or two with ponytailed beards), and also loads of twenty-something, college drop-out veteran, hippy dudes. I had a severe case of beard envy. There was also a lovely range of weird, multicoloured coats and hats. There was a strong smell of smoking substances, and quite a few glazed eyes. Many of the dudes and dudettes were swaying with fab, freaky unpredictable dancing, as U2 played their predictable set. (A paper in San Francisco accurately listed the setlist – the day before the show.) One of my favourite moments of the show was watching a group of oldie, wizard beards near me air-guitaring to Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I wormed my way through the crowd to the rail next to the fenced-off baseball diamond. It looked too perfect for a stoned rebel or two to jump into it, and then jump around in it; or to jump into it and create a Benny Hill style chase with the three security people guarding it. Alas, no-one dared.

The atmosphere up in the nosebleeds looked far flatter than in Seattle, fans there seemed to stay seated, probably shivering, even during Streets. I thought the show suffered from far too much residual stadium light, There were orange lights all around the stadium’s three tiers, and white lights shining down from directly underneath the switched-off floodlights. When Bono asked for the Milky Way effect before Moment Of Surrender, it was a nice representation in a stadium of the light pollution in big cities which kills astronomy.

The best song in the show was Beautiful Day, which was very moving, now that I understood some of the special context behind the video clip with Commander Mark Kelly (it had sailed completely over my ignorant head in Seattle).

Right my 1000 words are up. Bono told the audience towards the end of the show that “campaigning works”. Any U2 fans want to start a ‘Setlist Variation’ petition?

:wave:@Jeanne: Yes, we ended up in your exact spot! Edges side, front corner spot. It was awesome! I loved it! Well worth waiting. I think half the fun is waiting in line with other fans anyways.

I was excited to find this pic in the SFGate review! Its me and my hubbie in back of me!!! :love:

Caption: The Overstock.com Coliseum crowd looks on as the Dublin Ireland rock group U2 played its makeup date of the U2360 degrees world tour in Oakland Calif., June 7, 2011.
The Overstock.com Coliseum crowd looks on as - Media (14 of 18) U2 review: Soulful, impressive and worth the

Sicy, that sucks you weren't able to get back to your spot in the pit. At least you got to see some of it from somewhat close. Great pictures, though!

I wish I'd thought to talk to someone about camera settings before the show started. But then I probably would have spent too much time taking pictures, and I really just wanted to enjoy being close for that one and only time. :wink:

:wave:@Jeanne: Yes, we ended up in your exact spot! Edges side, front corner spot. It was awesome! I loved it! Well worth waiting. I think half the fun is waiting in line with other fans anyways.

I was excited to find this pic in the SFGate review! Its me and my hubbie in back of me!!! :love:

Caption: The Overstock.com Coliseum crowd looks on as the Dublin Ireland rock group U2 played its makeup date of the U2360 degrees world tour in Oakland Calif., June 7, 2011.
The Overstock.com Coliseum crowd looks on as - Media (14 of 18) U2 review: Soulful, impressive and worth the

Very cool! You're a rock star! :applaud: That's so awesome, what a great keepsake!
:applaud: Congrats again, and see, you didn't need to worry about a thing did you ?

^ YEAH! Radness. Thx for posting.

I saw this too, which seems pretty ridiculous! And I'm a lawyer, lol...

Disgruntled U2 Fans Consider Legal Action After Missing Concert
By KTVU Thu Jun 9, 9:47 am ET

OAKLAND, Calif. -- As the massive stage at Overstock.com Coliseum in Oakland was being taken down Wednesday following Tuesday night's U2 concert, some joked that there were still some people trying to get there for the show.

For many stuck on Bay Area freeways Tuesday night, the enormous traffic jam was no laughing matter. And some angry ticket holders are considering legal action.

Several factors contributed to the traffic jam, including an accident involving a big rig that flipped off an I-80 off ramp and shut down two east bound lanes of I-80 for several hours.

U2's sold-out concert Tuesday night attracted nearly 70,000 people. Many who decided to drive waited in traffic for as long as 5 hours and arrived late.

"We were actually tempted to turn around a couple times and just call it a day, but it was U2 we didn't want to miss it," said Geoff Flint, one frustrated U2 concert goer.

Some did turn around and gave up. Others just saw the last few songs of the U2's set.

"When we got to the concert and people were actually filing in as late as 11:30 at night."

"Some were so angry they immediately went online and found others who experienced the same frustration."

Radio DJ Rick Stuart attended the concert. He said people who took BART were also worried BART would stop running at midnight and leave people stranded.

"There were thousands of people. I mean the section around me by the end of the concert was almost empty because people were checking their watch wondering, 'Wow, I have to make it home,'" Stuart said. "And I don't blame them because that's the information they had."

On complaints there were not enough parking spots, Oakland Coliseum officials said they made every parking space available they could and said too many people drove and not enough people took public transit.

The whole incident has some considering legal action.

Attorney Patrick Mussad said the people who missed the concert deserve at least a refund.

"The next step is to, after I gather the information, make a nice friendly phone call to the managers of the venue, the Oakland Coliseum, and see if they amicably want to work something out. If not, then we will have to go through legal channels," Mussad said.

Tequila induced flub by Edge?

Someone please remind me of which song it was that Edge missed a part on? Nice to see an unplanned moment. Bono's comment about the previous night's Tequila party was very funny.

With Cathal MC

Ok: First in the interest of full disclosure--who I am: A 43 yr. old U2 fan since the early 80's. Own all the albums, been to 6 shows dating back to Joshua Tree. Consider this band to be the soundtrack of my teenage/early adulthood. Lost some interest in the mid-90's around Pop, and have sporadically enjoyed a handful of songs since. But still very much enjoyed going to the live shows (Elevation and Vertigo). Until now.

Sure, there are definitely ancillary problems with a U2 show these days, but the main problem is really quite simple: The setlist. It is way too predictable and static. This from a guy who did not log onto any websites to see what was being played, from the day way back in '09 when I first bought the tickets. And specifically for Oakland, this setlist had many commonalities to the last time they played here in '05. (Off the top of my head, at least 10-12). Now, I know, a standard reaction to that would be "But those are the (fill in the blank with "standards", "classics", "hits"). Let me make something clear: I am not a guy longing for the old days, or even wishing they would "get back to their roots". I am simply wanting more from this band at this point of their career. I want a changing setlist each night, a la Springsteen, Pearl Jam, The Dead, etc.

Let's think about this for a minute. We know U2 can conquer the world in terms of production, revenues, and just sheer mass. They've done it many times now. But can they go out there and jam? I would gladly buy tickets to multiple shows if I knew I was going to get a different show each night. Would they have to sacrafice the scripted video/light show? Maybe. But the excitement that would result would be amazing. The end of one song...followed by a little noodling around..picking out notes and trying to identify the next song. Good stuff which always kept me engaged at other shows by bands with unpredictable setlists.

So I logged on tonight for the first time to review all the setlists since the start of 360. I was actually a little surprised to see how the show has evolved from its early days until now. But it has been a very slow process, and no two back-to-back shows are very different in any meaningful way. And for me, the show has evolved right back to Vertigo--I probably would have (at least marginally) enjoyed one of the earlier 360 shows.

Some specifics about the show itself: The show opened with an encouraging "Even Better". I took this as a good sign. I was actually a little dispirited by "I Will Follow", as it seems to be the main oldie they invariably trot out. But I was still into it. Then the awful "Get On Your Boots", followed by my favorite recent song by them, "Magnificent"--which was shortened and somewhat botched. Hmmmm. Now, by the end of the next 8 out of 10 (look 'em up if you want, it was business as usual). That's when I really started to get down. "Pride" was especially disappointing, and from looking around at my fellow GAers, I wasn't the only one. Throw in "Streets", "Sunday", "Miss Sarajevo", "One" "With or.." and I was seriously time warping. And let me say something specific about "All I want is You". That song is designed to be a slow burn--not one to be rushed through in the middle of a set. Do it right or don't do it at all. Same with "Bad", though that was not played. Yes, we got "Scarlet", which was totally unexpected, but too little too late.

Can these guys just jam? I absolutely love the Edge's guitar sound and would be seriously into hearing him just fill some space with it. Remember the days of the scraping guitar or endless reverb? It wasn't exactly "jamming", but at least he used to do it. I'd take that over the 736th performance of "Sunday Bloody Sunday". But I digress. As I've been saying for the last couple of days, this show was probably great for someone who has never seen U2. But it just didn't work for me this time. And I will not be going next time if it's another big-sacle production job. Nor will I support the "tour one album" and also play a set of hits concept, should they decide to go down that suspect road. Mixing it up is the only thing that will get me back.

To anyone who has stayed with this review this long, thank you. I would appreciate all thoughtful and serious feedback, both positive or negative.

Rob is right

Rob makes real valid points. I was musing about how great it would be if U2 did a string of shows at The Fillmore while on break!

Ok: First in the interest of full disclosure--who I am: A 43 yr. old U2 fan since the early 80's. Own all the albums, been to 6 shows dating back to Joshua Tree. Consider this band to be the soundtrack of my teenage/early adulthood. Lost some interest in the mid-90's around Pop, and have sporadically enjoyed a handful of songs since. But still very much enjoyed going to the live shows (Elevation and Vertigo). Until now.

Sure, there are definitely ancillary problems with a U2 show these days, but the main problem is really quite simple: The setlist. It is way too predictable and static. This from a guy who did not log onto any websites to see what was being played, from the day way back in '09 when I first bought the tickets. And specifically for Oakland, this setlist had many commonalities to the last time they played here in '05. (Off the top of my head, at least 10-12). Now, I know, a standard reaction to that would be "But those are the (fill in the blank with "standards", "classics", "hits"). Let me make something clear: I am not a guy longing for the old days, or even wishing they would "get back to their roots". I am simply wanting more from this band at this point of their career. I want a changing setlist each night, a la Springsteen, Pearl Jam, The Dead, etc.

Let's think about this for a minute. We know U2 can conquer the world in terms of production, revenues, and just sheer mass. They've done it many times now. But can they go out there and jam? I would gladly buy tickets to multiple shows if I knew I was going to get a different show each night. Would they have to sacrafice the scripted video/light show? Maybe. But the excitement that would result would be amazing. The end of one song...followed by a little noodling around..picking out notes and trying to identify the next song. Good stuff which always kept me engaged at other shows by bands with unpredictable setlists.

So I logged on tonight for the first time to review all the setlists since the start of 360. I was actually a little surprised to see how the show has evolved from its early days until now. But it has been a very slow process, and no two back-to-back shows are very different in any meaningful way. And for me, the show has evolved right back to Vertigo--I probably would have (at least marginally) enjoyed one of the earlier 360 shows.

Some specifics about the show itself: The show opened with an encouraging "Even Better". I took this as a good sign. I was actually a little dispirited by "I Will Follow", as it seems to be the main oldie they invariably trot out. But I was still into it. Then the awful "Get On Your Boots", followed by my favorite recent song by them, "Magnificent"--which was shortened and somewhat botched. Hmmmm. Now, by the end of the next 8 out of 10 (look 'em up if you want, it was business as usual). That's when I really started to get down. "Pride" was especially disappointing, and from looking around at my fellow GAers, I wasn't the only one. Throw in "Streets", "Sunday", "Miss Sarajevo", "One" "With or.." and I was seriously time warping. And let me say something specific about "All I want is You". That song is designed to be a slow burn--not one to be rushed through in the middle of a set. Do it right or don't do it at all. Same with "Bad", though that was not played. Yes, we got "Scarlet", which was totally unexpected, but too little too late.

Can these guys just jam? I absolutely love the Edge's guitar sound and would be seriously into hearing him just fill some space with it. Remember the days of the scraping guitar or endless reverb? It wasn't exactly "jamming", but at least he used to do it. I'd take that over the 736th performance of "Sunday Bloody Sunday". But I digress. As I've been saying for the last couple of days, this show was probably great for someone who has never seen U2. But it just didn't work for me this time. And I will not be going next time if it's another big-sacle production job. Nor will I support the "tour one album" and also play a set of hits concept, should they decide to go down that suspect road. Mixing it up is the only thing that will get me back.

To anyone who has stayed with this review this long, thank you. I would appreciate all thoughtful and serious feedback, both positive or negative.

Zooropa? HMTMKMKM? Scarlet? EBTTRT? All i want is you (not a regular on any US tour for some time)? Miss sarajevo (wasnt played in the US on the vertigo tour)?, plus the songs from NLOTH, yep very very predictable

@KUEF: To boil my whole point down to the fact that they played 4 songs they haven't played in a while does not cover the scope of my argument at all. (Sorry, can't count "All" and "Miss" as rarities just because they weren't around a few months ago). The fact is 13 songs were the same from last Coliseum appearance, (up from my off-the-top-of-my-head estimate of 10-12). Perhaps they should at least consult setlists from cities the last time they played?

Nor does your reply address the fact that the show was the same as others immediately preceding this one, a fact I didn't know about until after the show but was very clear from early on.

Listen, I've done discussions on here before and it always seems to get very sarcastic and/or personal, like I'm insulting a relative or something. If not enough people feel the way I do, the marketplace will speak for itself and people will keep paying and coming. I just won't be one of them.

Oakland night 2 setlist from vertigo tour (using second night as we all know they end up with the most changes):

1.City Of Blinding Lights
2.Vertigo / Never Say Never (snippet) / Rockaway Beach (snippet)
3.Elevation
4.I Will Follow
5.Gloria
6.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
7.Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Many Rivers To Cross (snippet)
8.Miracle Drug
9.Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / Torna A Surriento (snippet)
10.Love And Peace Or Else
11.Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet)
12.Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
13.Miss Sarajevo
14.Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15.Where The Streets Have No Name
16.One

encore(s):

17.The First Time
18.Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
19.With Or Without You
20.All Because Of You
21.Fast Cars
22.Bad / People Have The Power (snippet)

360 tour Oakland:

1.Even Better Than The Real Thing
2.I Will Follow
3.Get On Your Boots
4.Magnificent
5.Mysterious Ways / Norwegian Wood (snippet)
6.Elevation
7.Until The End Of The World / Anthem (snippet) / Where Have All The Flowers Gone? (snippet)
8.Perfect Day (snippet) / Happy Birthday
9.All I Want Is You
10.Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
11.Beautiful Day / Space Oddity (snippet)
12.Pride (In The Name Of Love)
13.Miss Sarajevo
14.Zooropa
15.City Of Blinding Lights
16.Vertigo / Dirty Boulevard (snippet)
17.I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Life During Wartime (snippet) / Psycho Killer (snippet)
18.Sunday Bloody Sunday
19.Scarlet
20.Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

encore(s):

21.One
22.Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
23.Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
24.With Or Without You
25.Moment of Surrender

11 different songs played, so half of the setlist is totally different compared to the vertigo tour (would have been even more had this been earlier in the tour), and even though you dont like get on your boots or magnificent some people do, so you cannot just discard them, then we have the like of Zooropa which who in their right mind really thought they would bring this out for this tour? let alone if NA?, All i want is you hasnt been a regular in the US for YEARS, not a couple of months like you stated. plus we have HMTMKMKM, not played ANYWHERE since popmart, Miss sarajevo only came about as a regular during the Vertigo tour, so again hardly a staple is it?

Thats my argument in it all anyway, i just cant belive sometimes when people slate a tour that has given us so many rare and new songs, oh well i guess onwards and upwards.

Ummm... don't forget the HUGE moment when they played ELECTRICAL STORM on this tour strictly because of fan demand. Remember???It was a nod to us long timers. And we got new songs too. MERCY, GLASTONBURY....
Those moments may be few and far between, but to me it was a nod and acknowledgment , the "we hear you... here you go." I think they give us ALOT!

I realize that Bono sings "I'm a traffic cop" on NLOTH, but he is not actually a traffic cop, nor a stadium or city planner.

U2 cannot control traffic and parking logistics.

I was just reading another message board that was talking about this whole "fiasco" and saw a very funny post... I have to share:

"Apparently, rock and roll really DOES stop the traffic"

Back
Top Bottom