June 29, 2011 - Sun Life Stadium - Miami, FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow...that was just surreal. Let me be honest, it was my first U2 show ever. And yet, the best concert I've ever seen. I mean - the crowd was great but boring sometimes. Amazing setlist, the band was in full throttle. As many people have said, it's not the same as watching it on YouTube. Bono's voice was great, sometimes shot, Edge had some unnoticeable guitar problems here and there, the stage was just HUGE. I went with my Dad to the show, while my mom and uncle were sitting in another section. My dad's been a fan since the 80's, me since 2001. Random observations:

- The band arrived when the gates opened - we were near the road when the band passed by in the motorcade. Bono rolled down his window and waved at us. Awesome.
- The sound was not great, not bad. First few songs sounded wacky, but got better as the night went on.
- It threatened to rain throughout the night - but it didn't rain at all. Nice breeze at times, though.
- Florence and the Machine was pretty good - Florence's voice flooded the entire stadium. She can sing.
- Highlights of the night for me - Space Oddity/EBTTRT, UTEOTW, Pride, Zooropa, Streets, and With or Without You.
- ZOOROPA - Oh my god. Incredible, mindblowing. Eargasm. :drool:
- North Star was a pleasant surprise - someone near me was singing it. :lol:
- The crowd was very diverse - Americans, Latinos (like me), Asians, Europeans. Definitely had a Latin vibe, though.
- Hold Me, Thrill Me was as I expected - pure rocker, amazing. Definitely makes up for Ultraviolet, didn't miss it really.
- The stadium was literally bouncing throughout the show - at times it felt like the upper concourse was going to collapse!
- No Desmond Tutu tonight before One, Aung San Suu Kyi video returned. Felt really good seeing it.

I took pics and videos, not sure to upload them now or when I get back home next week. I'm still in orbit, can't believe it. Need some sleep. :wink:

Photos and such to come, videos too.

It was a blast. Got right up in front of Edge and Bono, despite being #459. 2 people between myself and the railing.

I've got some AMAZING pics. One in particular is the best concert photo I've taken, hands down. I'll post it in a few minutes.

Crowd was half shitty, half cool. I don't know what those U2 recycle people were thinking strolling into the inner circle at 8:30 pm and expecting everyone to be cool about them standing in front with their bigass purses and kicking trash at our feet, telling us to continue kicking it. Um, why don't you just deal with it like everyone else?! People are sitting down and you expect to kick empty beer bottles at them because you "want to dance and air high five Bono"???
Had some Latinos around me that were not into the show at all. They were standing still the whole time and spent more time taking photos of themselves than watching the concert. There should be a U2 IQ requirement before being let into the inner circle, Christ!

Had a friend nearby and his buddies were basically inner circle patrols. :lol:

Edge was great, plenty of cheesy grinning with us. I felt like they used the catwalks more in Tampa than in this show. Overall it felt a little short, or maybe short-changed because it was 80% greatest hits.

Bono's banter was good this time. He said he wishes he could dance, Larry doesn't even try, Adam likes to watch people dance for him. But edge, he said, pointing and laughing, edge looooves to dance. Cue cheesy grin from edge! Edge drank more than his head and danced at a club last night. A likely story! Everyone knows he spent last night watching I to the Wormhole on the science channel!

I really enjoyed the ISS link as I didn't get it last time, but I think Bono mistakenly said that Gaby Giffords died?! "she gave her life to this country"
No, she didn't! Dork.

Glad to see macphisto shining through HMTMKMKM. :Mac:

Anyway, that's all for now.

Back! Wow, great show!

Observations:

-Setlist is great! Energy going at all times!

-Sound was good for the most part, but at times it got so loud that all the instruments blended together into one large blur of noise rather than being able to hear each member of the band distinctly like you can in concert recordings/ videos. The loud blur of noise was more prominent during the beginning of the show, and the instruments started sounding clearer as the show progressed. Or maybe, my ears just adjusted to the noise level better.

-Claw is huge in person! and the screen sometimes attracts your eye away from the actual stage

-They didnt play ultraviolet :sad: but HMTM was amazing!

-Biggest criticism is that the band kinda seemed to be going through the motions a bit. It really wasnt an intimate feeling show and there wasnt really much of a huge connection between the audience and the band like you feel in some U2 gigs. This was mostly on the bands part as they didnt really seem to be having fun and even though they were playing great, there was a lack of connection at times. They also didnt use the catwalk as much as I expected.

-Bonos voice sounded GREAT! wow.

-Zooropa was a highlight for me, and the people around me got up and went to get food :doh::doh:
and yes, Zooropa sounds every bit as good as you would imagine it to sound live, holy shit! It was a rush of beautiful noise!

-The crowd for the most part only knew the big hits, and was a younger audience than you might expect. Some were rude and pushy, but hey, thats what you get in Miami

-Saying that it was utter hell driving/parking at the stadium is an understatement. :angry:

-The songs I thought sounded the best were: The Fly, UTEOTW, Pride, Zooropa, COBL, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Hold Me Thrill Me, Moment of surrender.

Overall, class act and great performers as always. This will be a night to remember. :wave:

-The crowd for the most part only knew the big hits, and was a younger audience than you might expect. Some were rude and pushy, but hey, thats what you get in Miami

-Saying that it was utter hell driving/parking at the stadium is an understatement. :angry:

Yup I agree with you on most but especially with the above. I did not experience the rudeness at Tampa, that's for sure. The Brazilians I was next to in the GA line said that people are really rude in Sao Paolo, jumping in line and generally not giving a shit. :tsk:

Here's the picture as promised:
4pxfm1.jpg

aaaaand now it's bedtime. :crack:

Just took a look at the pics off my camera... some turned out phenomenal.

Others, not so much! Will be up within the coming hours.

After a frustrating time with the uploader, here's 1 for the night and the rest come tomorrow, including videos.

Or not... imageshack is also trollin me hard.

Tomorrow. All of it.

Videos are just starting to pop up on YouTube right now. I ruined some of them, didn't intend upon filming them all anyways.

Anyways, they are fan perspective, so I didn't plan on (or expect) myself to hold the camera steady, nor did I care. Nor did I once look into the camera. Instead, I was just holding it up.

Images all uploaded too, links to come soon. Also, video montage of most of the day will be up by the end of the night.

Great pictures!:love: So glad you got an awesome spot for your first show!:up:

Heh, unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to do it again or else I would! We didn't make any friends in line, although in the pit itself we met tons of people and had great conversation!

Come New Meadowlands, unfortunately I wont be able to do GA because my sister and brother-in-law have to work. I guess I'll wait for next tour, in which case I'll do whatever I can!

Great pictures! Glad your first U2 concert was so great. :)

But I have to say ....

.... christ, I just feel so old.

:lol:

Does the beer in my hand add an extra two years to my age, by chance?

I didn't even ask for it! My sister came back and asked me... "Blue Moon or Amber Bock?"

Ha ha. It's just that realization sometimes after reading someone's posts for a while and knowing in the back of your head how old they are (if they've mentioned it in conversation), it's not until you actually see a picture that you have that "holy shit, that guy is young!" moment.

And please know this is not one of those annoying "aww, you're so young, you're just a baby" moments, it's one of those "god, I know I'm getting old because the younger fans just keep looking younger and younger to me."

:)

Ha ha. It's just that realization sometimes after reading someone's posts for a while and knowing in the back of your head how old they are (if they've mentioned it in conversation), it's not until you actually see a picture that you have that "holy shit, that guy is young!" moment.

And please know this is not one of those annoying "aww, you're so young, you're just a baby" moments, it's one of those "god, I know I'm getting old because the younger fans just keep looking younger and younger to me."

:)

Oh no worries. My sister was saying the same thing because she was reminiscing about PopMart.

You're only as old as you act ;)

Yeah, you know, the "only as old as you act/feel" thing just makes it harder when you realize how much younger everyone else is looking! :lol:

I feel much younger than I am. I act somewhat younger than I am. Within reason. ;)

I'll be uploading MW, UTEOTW, Zooropa, and Streets on YouTube when I arrive back home next week.

I also took videos of EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, Pride - in which I come out singing very loud...HMTMKMKM and With or Without You. All videos came out great, with slight shakiness and me and my Dad singing along and screaming. :wink:

Still recovering on the other hand - wow.

Back
Top Bottom