June 17, 2011 - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was my first 360 show (of 40 or so) in a baseball stadium.

I thought the field GA was way,way better here than a football/soccer stadium but the stadium seats looked liked they sucked, regardless where you were (save for upper deck behind home plate which were probably good)

The design of soccer stadiums make the lower level sideline seats between the claw legs turn out to be very good, the angle of the baseball field made these look shitty

As far as GA went, I didnt come in until Kravitz finished and was easily able to find a spot dead center to the rail, about 50 feet away

It looks like alot of people take advantage of the extra room behind the Red Zones and neglect alot of prime spots in front of the stage

Toilet situation sucked on the field, both locations were at the respective foul poles.

Plenty points of sale for beer on the field (although 12.25-$14.25 may bankrupt much of the crowd)

Beershack will be admiring the ladies of Anaheim Hooters tomorrow around noon if anyone wants to knock one back

Didn't line up. Walked into inner circle 5:45-6:00ish. Main point: Band was outstanding. Paul McGuinness on stage w/U2 for the first time ever. Ready to get it going for Anaheim #2. ^Guinness stand: $14 for a 20 oz. Guinness, or $12.25 for 24 oz. Coors Light. If you go to the regular snack concession, Coors Light price drops to $10.50. Lots of after-party noise coming from Nicv's room, lol. I'm tired, will post more later. FUN TIME!

*Oh yeah - infield NOT fenced off like Oakland = WIN

HD - Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way

Lenny was miles better in just 10 days...got there at 5:30pm or so and was right behind DRay and gang on the outer rail, Edge side. Other than huge fat guy slamming his way to rail, then being removed during EBTTRT, and smelly drunk weed hair guy with his bent cigarette burning folks as he pushed to front so he could take the blurriest possible pics during encore everyone was cool around me...took my 56yo older sister to her first show, and she was a trooper!

It's pretty obvious at this point the boys want to finish off this tour and move onto other things. Same setlist 8 nights in a row. Pretty frustrating

The Fly and UV was soundchecked on Friday, so I would expect to see those into the show. I'll be unpleasantly surprised if HMTMKM is played again

Incredible show, WAY better than the Rose Bowl line up experience (disaster) was.....Unfortunately as others have said, the setlist was pretty standard, but they were definitely in top shape. Hold me and Zooropa really brought down the house for me. It felt more genuine hearing those than Pride and SBS for the millionth time. So, was anyone lucky enough to meet the band? Where did you guys wait out?

First U2 concert last night.

The band sure knows how to put on a show. Unfortunately, I was in Section 247 behind the band (360 tour? We got not love!) and the crowd around me was rather ... dead. Looked to me like a greatest hits crowd, where they all sat for anything they didn't recognize (half the setlist). I took my little sister though and she thought it was an awesome time. She was one of the few dancing despite everyone else being seated.

I didn't spoil the setlist, so I personally thought Zooropa was a blast. HMTMKMKM and Rejoice were sweet surprises for me as well. I have to say, "Moment of Surrender" really seemed to kill the crowd. People left early and the phones weren't waving for very long. It's too bad, too. I like that song.

I first saw U2 in 1985. I've seen them multiple times on every tour since then, including the incredible performance at the Amnesty show in '86 and 5 times on the Joshua Tree tour.

I thought last night's show in Anaheim was much better than the Rose Bowl, which was one of the worst shows, if not the very worst, I've ever seen them perform. The set list now is far superior and the pacing is vastly improved. Still, I find the show is all about the large production and less about the music. There's no passion, intimacy, or spontaneity IMO and considering those might be the three most important elements of rock & roll, the show is not even close to what they were once capable of. In past years, I'd never skip a show when U2 was in my town but I'm not going back tonight. I really hope they move back inside on the next tour.

I first saw U2 in 1985. I've seen them multiple times on every tour since then, including the incredible performance at the Amnesty show in '86 and 5 times on the Joshua Tree tour.

I thought last night's show in Anaheim was much better than the Rose Bowl, which was one of the worst shows, if not the very worst, I've ever seen them perform. The set list now is far superior and the pacing is vastly improved. Still, I find the show is all about the large production and less about the music. There's no passion, intimacy, or spontaneity IMO and considering those might be the three most important elements of rock & roll, the show is not even close to what they were once capable of. In past years, I'd never skip a show when U2 was in my town but I'm not going back tonight. I really hope they move back inside on the next tour.

The sad part is, tonight is going to be the one with the killer setlist. I find it absolutely scandalous that they've done SEVEN bloody shows with the exact same setlist for the crowd that was going to get 'something special' after the postponements. Night 2s are always better. That being said, if they do the same set an 8th time in a row... I will be ENRAGED. Thank God I'm going to Montreal 2.

I find it absolutely scandalous that they've done SEVEN bloody shows with the exact same setlist for the crowd that was going to get 'something special' after the postponements.

and generally speaking, the percentage of the crowd that knows this is how low?

i want a static setlist. i'm seeing one show this leg. in a one night city. i want me some fucken zooropa.

Any U2 show is a blessing! Seen Seattle and Ana1 and will be there tonight. Even if it was the exact same setlist as last night (and Seattle)...I would be pleased...

The sad part is, tonight is going to be the one with the killer setlist. I find it absolutely scandalous that they've done SEVEN bloody shows with the exact same setlist for the crowd that was going to get 'something special' after the postponements. Night 2s are always better. That being said, if they do the same set an 8th time in a row... I will be ENRAGED. Thank God I'm going to Montreal 2.

Since I hadn't seen any of the previous 6 shows, the fact they were repeating stuff didn't matter to me. And it's not like they are ever going to do like Springsteen and play entirely different shows from night to night. The most that ever happened was in '87-'90 and even then, it wasn't that much.

Even if they play Bad and whatever else tonight, that does not change the problems with the show. I was 10 feet from Bono last night and I never felt connected to the show like I expect at a U2 show.

And when I talk about lacking spontaneity, I'm not even talking about set list changes. I'm talking about performance, stage demeanor, connection to the audience, etc. The performance of With Or Without You, which is one of my favorite songs, is so flat it's sad. Instead of singing it through a colorful mic, he'd be much better off reaching deep inside him to draw on the emotion that led him to write the song in the first place. I've seen Springsteen almost 200 times and never has he performed Born To Run and not looked like he was feeling it. Now of course, he did do two acoustic tours where the song was never played and on one of the rock tours, he actually did the song acoustically so he's always reinventing, which helps keep things fresh.

If I had the chance and the money to see U2 more than once I would feel 1. Fortunate, 2. Excited. 3. Incredibly GRATEFUL.
Do you know how many people would love to be able to do that but can't for various reasons?
If you can't appreciate how fortunate you are, why are you even
a fan? The self entitlement argument is just so tired.
Wow.
Go back and read KRAM's review on the front page.
He's got it completely right. Good job on the article!:applaud::up:
Gratefulness is where it's at!

I'm not bitching. I am giving my honest review of the show. Is that not allowed?

I guess if Bono's back injury last year would have been a bit worse, there'd be no more bitching about last nights show, or any future shows for that matter.

By all means everyone is welcome to their opinion, as am i. and im certainly fortunate they are still in the game. It won't last forever so enjoy it while you can....

Cheers

Jeannieco said:
If I had the chance and the money to see U2 more than once I would feel 1. Fortunate, 2. Excited. 3. Incredibly GRATEFUL.
Do you know how many people would love to be able to do that but can't for various reasons?
If you can't appreciate how fortunate you are, why are you even
a fan? The self entitlement argument is just so tired.
Wow.
Go back and read KRAM's review on the front page.
He's got it completely right. Good job on the article!:applaud::up:
Gratefulness is where it's at!

Not sure if you're referring to me or what, but I'm only looking at what went on in Europe and South America - and I'm pretty sad that we get none of that variety here. And sure, I have read Kramwest's article. In fact, not only have I read his article, I agree with it 100%, and am one of the travelling fans who met him in Winnipeg and we had a great time with him and his wife, and my husband enjoyed their company so much that he decided to come to Minneapolis for the show there too. The part I believe you may have missed is that you can't travel only for the music, and if I hear the same songs 10 out of 11 shows it will be truer than ever, and thank goodness we have our U2 friends.

Yes, not everyone in the stadium goes to more than one show. Wpuld those people notice or care if they played NYD instead of IWF? Staring At The Sun instead of Stay? Bad instead of Pride? Of course they wouldnt, but it would excite those of us who do even if it was one song switching back and forth for even one show, thats all I wish for.

Am I advocating they take out Zooropa? Hell no. And do I understand the work that Willie has put in to the visuals for a song like COBL and am I ok with it in the set even if I'm not too fond of it? Yes.

I'm very lucky that I can go to all these shows, but if any of you befriend the group if traveling U2ers you would understand that changing just one song every few nights is really special to us. I remember being so excited with the Mercys, the Bads, the Every Breaking Waves and North Stars in Europe and excited for those fans.

Don't tell me I may as well not be a fan, that's just ridiculous. I'm merely stating my shock that my favorite band has never played 7 identical shows in a row on this tour yet, and why they are doing it on this leg is staggering.

Not sure if you're referring to me or what, but I'm only looking at what went on in Europe and South America - and I'm pretty sad that we get none of that variety here. And sure, I have read Kramwest's article. In fact, not only have I read his article, I agree with it 100%, and am one of the travelling fans who met him in Winnipeg and we had a great time with him and his wife, and my husband enjoyed their company so much that he decided to come to Minneapolis for the show there too. The part I believe you may have missed is that you can't travel only for the music, and if I hear the same songs 10 out of 11 shows it will be truer than ever, and thank goodness we have our U2 friends.

Yes, not everyone in the stadium goes to more than one show. Wpuld those people notice or care if they played NYD instead of IWF? Staring At The Sun instead of Stay? Bad instead of Pride? Of course they wouldnt, but it would excite those of us who do even if it was one song switching back and forth for even one show, thats all I wish for.

Am I advocating they take out Zooropa? Hell no. And do I understand the work that Willie has put in to the visuals for a song like COBL and am I ok with it in the set even if I'm not too fond of it? Yes.

I'm very lucky that I can go to all these shows, but if any of you befriend the group if traveling U2ers you would understand that changing just one song every few nights is really special to us. I remember being so excited with the Mercys, the Bads, the Every Breaking Waves and North Stars in Europe and excited for those fans.

Don't tell me I may as well not be a fan, that's just ridiculous. I'm merely stating my shock that my favorite band has never played 7 identical shows in a row on this tour yet, and why they are doing it on this leg is staggering.

"Originally Posted by EdgeFest
find it absolutely scandalous that they've done SEVEN bloody shows with the exact same setlist for the crowd that was going to get 'something special' after the postponements. Night 2s are always better. That being said, if they do the same set an 8th time in a row... I will be ENRAGED. "

I get your frustration, really I do.
I was just questioning the fact that if something bothers a person so much that it steals your joy away why do you keep putting yourself through it? The frustration wins not the joy the band brings to us.
But I understand...I know the bond U2 creates, through thick and thin , good and bad, boring set lists and new music surprises!
Thanks for explaining yourself.
I hope you don't find yourself enraged tonight, seriously! :wave:

I guess if Bono's back injury last year would have been a bit worse, there'd be no more bitching about last nights show, or any future shows for that matter.

By all means everyone is welcome to their opinion, as am i. and im certainly fortunate they are still in the game. It won't last forever so enjoy it while you can....

Cheers

Here's what I'll say to that as we mourn in E Street Nation for the loss of Clarence Clemons tonight. Every show could be the last and Bruce has remarked in interviews in recent years that he plays every show that way, as if his life depended on it. He has played with reckless abandon, as much in the last couple of years as he did when he was younger. U2 is not playing that way. That kind of passion does not exist in their shows at the moment. It certainly exist did on the Unforgettable Fire tour, the Joshua Tree tour or ZooTV or the Elevation shows in 2001, particularly those after 9/11, but not now.

I take nothing away from U2, which remains an amazing musical act and they put on a big spectacle but I believe music should be about the music first, not about flashing lights and a big stage. Yes, there were a lot of flashing lights and a big stage on ZooTV but that was never the primary focus, the music always was. Right now, they are putting on good shows but not great shows. That may bother some who weren't lucky enough to see them 10 or 20 years ago or those that need to feel every show they go to is the greatest show in the history of mankind but it's a fact.

Right on lckytwn and Edgefest...it's not our mandate to blindly applaud everything they do. I've never understood that attitude on here. We need to say it like it is and vote with our wallets next time.

I rest my case about how all of us who followed the set tonight freaked out and enjoyed every second of it, because it was spontaneous for a while.

Right now we're on Vertigo, and all they did was put two songs back in that they'd played on 360 before (ISHF and SIAM) and add The Fly, and we all went crazy. And this is exactly the sort of thing that I'd hoped they do. I also pray that they keep this thinking in post-Glastonbury and not go back to the standard again.

Obviously all of the production excuses were questioned, tested, and completely blown out of the water tonight.

Settling for status quo does not make this band exciting. Tonight does. And it really wasn't that big of a change, but it meant everything.

I rest my case about how all of us who followed the set tonight freaked out and enjoyed every second of it, because it was spontaneous for a while.

Right now we're on Vertigo, and all they did was put two songs back in that they'd played on 360 before (ISHF and SIAM) and add The Fly, and we all went crazy. And this is exactly the sort of thing that I'd hoped they do. I also pray that they keep this thinking in post-Glastonbury and not go back to the standard again.

Obviously all of the production excuses were questioned, tested, and completely blown out of the water tonight.

Settling for status quo does not make this band exciting. Tonight does. And it really wasn't that big of a change, but it meant everything.

Even with tonight's changes, it's just basically a movement of songs in the set with a few other songs thrown in. I saw the freaking out over The Fly. Me, I'll freak out when they play something like Exit again if we are freaking out about song choices. But my review has nothing to do with the songs they are playing. I enjoyed the set of songs they played last night and in in fact, I like last night's set better than tonight's because I would much rather see songs like All I Want Is You and the new version of Magnificent than Stuck or Still Haven't Found.

It's about passion and it's about staging of the show to highlight music and not the stage instead of vice versa and that can't be fixed with a few songs moved around.

Back
Top Bottom