June 1, 2011 - Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing night! As an die-hard oiler fan and a die-hard U2 fan, it was like my two obsessions collided last night. The story of Gilbert Brule was just amazing. Little things like that make the concert so much more personal.

When I went to South America in 2000, I took clothes, toiletries, a cheap wind-on camera, and a book. These days when I travel I bring an MP3 player, a digital camera, phone, Flip cam, netbook, and various other gadgets. I’m, like, totally gadged to the max. And they’re all essential.

One gadget I haven’t yet seen a need to pack is a Personal Video Recorder. I don’t watch much TV; I don’t have any can’t-miss series. It’s starting to seem like U2 are generously now providing a concert PVR. The last four gigs have had identical setlists (allowing that Moment of Surrender was on the printed setlist in Winnipeg). The North America tour could be sponsored by Tivo - the U2 360 DVR, for that favourite concert you love to watch again and again. Except, of course, that the many U2 fans travelling to these shows would prefer the 360 plot to change.

It seems daft to criticise a U2 setlist with Even Better Than The Real Thing, All I Want Is You, Zooropa, Scarlet and Hold Me Thrill Me. But even a good static setlist can still become a frustrating setlist for the U2 fans travelling to more than one concert. Some dedicated fans travelled from Salt Lake City to Denver, or from Winnipeg to Edmonton, to see two or more shows. U2 played thirty-one songs across the three concerts in Mexico City. So far in the four shows in the US and Canada they’ve played the same twenty-four songs.

I reckon they should consider the shows as pairs: Salt Lake City should have been viewed as Denver 2, Edmonton as Winnipeg 2. The casual U2 fans who see one show in their hometown will hardly lose out by seeing New Year’s Day instead of I Will Follow, Still Haven’t Found instead of All I Want Is You, or Ultraviolet instead of Hold Me Thrill Me. Yet the hardcore U2 fans who take time off work and spend their money on travelling to more than one show in geographical or temporal proximity would gain so much more enjoyment from such apparently simple setlist variations. This fixed setlist seems needlessly lazy, and it has caused some (minor) irritation to the U2 fans who have followed this slice of the tour.

Seattle will be the second Saturday show in the States this year, after the Denver show two weeks ago. There are many big U2 fans who came to the show in Denver who will be coming to Seattle. So Seattle should have a Denver 3 setlist, with even more setlist changes. I’m not accepting bets on this happening. It could be the Denver show rerun, but shifted a few states west.

Just as the band were going through their setlist motions, I was also going through my own motions last night, As in Denver, Salt Lake City and Winnipeg, I was down in the front circle, on Edge’s side, a few rows from the back rail. However one fab change from previous shows was that I accompanied by a hilarious and rather drunk Hungarian chap, a friend of my host. He was a perfect picture of an excited, animated fan. He was singing, roaring and bouncing around with a huge, happy grin, like every U2 fan seeing the show for the first time should. (Although quite a few fans down in the pit seemed to enjoy the proximity of the band far more than the music they were playing.)

The setlist wasn’t the only static feature of last night’s show in Edmonton. Edge and Adam both seemed much less energetic compared to previous shows. Bono, however, more than compensated. Last night was a Bono show. He was as hyper as I can recall seeing him for a while. He’s always lively, perhaps occasionally ‘professionally’ so. But last night he was fizzing about the stages and bantering with the audience like he was on a Red Bull drip. A hyper Bono always makes for a good concert.

“Welcome to the 3-25 show” he joked during I Will Follow, referring to the lack of seats behind the stage. “Your eyes almost make a circle” he sang moments later.

I suspect a mischievous Canadian had played a sneaky practical joke on Bono before the gig. He started a rambling yarn about hitchhiking in Vancouver. It reminded me of a best-man’s speech at a very big wedding. It was a convoluted lead-in to ice-hockey themed band intros. (Bono correctly called it ‘ice-hockey’, whereas it’s just ‘hockey’ to those error-strewn English speakers in North America.) “Just like rolling the check (cheque / Czech)”, Bono said, believing it was a well-known ice-hockey phrase in Canada. There was no response from the crowd. “Rolling the check, is that right?” Silence. “I was told it would be a cool thing to say.” Tumbleweed. Someone somewhere was peeing their padded, protective ice-hockey pants.

Fans had passed out red and white balloons before the show, which were waved when the band walked onstage. Bono grabbed one before Elevation, “MY ball. MY ball. I don’t have to sing if I don’t want to”, he mock tantrumed. During Pride he took an Irish tricolour from someone in the pit, kissed it, and said “Peace is possible”. “Don’t break me”, he told the girl he’d brought onstage to read the lyrics to Heart of Gold by Neil Young, as she squeezed him in her over-excitement.

There was aggressive, over-zealous security shouldering their way through the pit below the bridges as they swung around the stage. If a fan jumped up to touch the bridge as it passed overhead, a burly female steward gave the fan a firm warning shove. One guy actually jumped up, grabbed the bridge, and chin-upped his head to look through it during Until The End Of The World. I’m not sure he actually intended to climb up on the bridge, but he was instantly dumped onto the ground by the steward, although he wasn’t chucked out of the gig. My biggest peeve though, was to have security force past me when I’d my eyes closed during Miss Sarajevo, killing the enjoyment of the song. Time for keeping your distance and all.

There was a strange silence after Miss Sarajevo (and the video screen failed to open). Bono was clearly determined to get through his big glory note, as he’s not quite made it at the last few shows. He strained, held it, and got there. Then the song ended in silence. Bono looked quite emotional after diving into the challenge of singing his solo. He walked back onto the stage and put his hands onto Phil’s shoulders, as if he needed some human contact. I think he really needed a hug.

If there was an 11:00 pm curfew in Winnipeg which caused Moment Of Surrender to be dropped, then there are more relaxed regulations in Edmonton. Last night's show finished around 11:30 pm. Perhaps Alberta is more tolerant of late noise than Manitoba. Yet the stadium in Edmonton is in a residential area, whereas in Winnipeg it ain’t, so perhaps the cold just got to U2 in Winnipeg.

Right, gotta go, just landed in Seattle. It can't be five setlists from five, can it ...?

I'm still recovering from about 10 hours of sleep in the alst 48 hours, and 1000 kms driven, but it was totally worth it. Our seats were high up but the view was incredible. We brought balloons and gave some to a little guy next to us. Of course most of ours blew right out of the stadium! It didn't seem like the floor even had many which is too bad.

What amazed me the most is the setlist change!! I was lucky enough to see them once on the previous NA tour, and thought it would be similar but i was so blown away by the totally different setlist!!!! Stay had me turn into a ball of mush! Definitly the high point because i never thought i would ever see that song played live in my lifetime. It was also bittersweet because i'm fairly certain it will be the first and last time i will ever get to see Stay performed. :( I think thats probably why i cried like a baby! Its going to be a long time before i can listen to Stay again, not to mention the bootleg!!!

Two weeks ago, before the Denver gig, I was teasing my Van Halen-loving friend about how lame his favorite band was for doing the same setlist night after night on their comeback tour a couple of years ago. It was a great setlist, but it inevitably became boring for the travelling VH fans.

For U2 to roll out the same setlist four shows in a row is disappointing. Perhaps I can read a note of dread in your writings, Cathal, as you think about hearing the same songs in the same order for the next 18 shows in a row.

I suspect U2 will switch it up a bit at the second Anaheim and Montreal gigs, but let's hope for some sort of variation before then. If they don't make any changes, I will feel badly for my fellow travelling fans who plan on seeing U2 multiple nights over the next two months, but glad that my final shows on this tour will be in Anaheim in two weeks' time. That's sad to admit.

I'm still recovering from about 10 hours of sleep in the alst 48 hours, and 1000 kms driven, but it was totally worth it. Our seats were high up but the view was incredible. We brought balloons and gave some to a little guy next to us. Of course most of ours blew right out of the stadium! It didn't seem like the floor even had many which is too bad.

The floor actually semed to have more than enough but not as many as we shoudl've had. Just before nine when Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones came on the floor was going crazy with balloons. It looked unreal from on the floor at least. I know for a fact there were at least 3800 balloons handed out in GA before the doors opened because myself along with others did it haha. Too bad the losers at security confiscated BALLOONS during the "pat down" f-ing losers. the security we talked to inside said that was a joke and the guys running the security outside were definitley losers.

Anyways AWESOME show! I'm not lieing, I had THE best seat in the house. Front row on the outter edge about 30 feet from center off to Adam's side. Center isn't the best cause the cameras are often stopped there. It was unreal!!

I'm dumbfounded why people run inot the pit when there's room still available on front row on the outter edge. Been there done that for both and front row on the outside is by far the better option. In my opinion of course.

The floor actually semed to have more than enough but not as many as we shoudl've had. Just before nine when Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones came on the floor was going crazy with balloons. It looked unreal from on the floor at least. I know for a fact there were at least 3800 balloons handed out in GA before the doors opened because myself along with others did it haha. Too bad the losers at security confiscated BALLOONS during the "pat down" f-ing losers. the security we talked to inside said that was a joke and the guys running the security outside were definitley losers.

The thing is, they weren't even doing a particularly effective job at confiscation. I (unfortunately) had my balloons in my purse, and they grabbed all of those, but they didn't check my pockets at all. Had I kept my balloons in there, they'd never have found them.

Then to top it off, I heard that the inner gate to the circle on Adam's side wasn't open when the first group was let into the stadium. By the time we got down there, it was, but I can just imagine the panic down there as people got to the gate.

Prior to the gates, they wristbanded the first 2K fans for the pit with bright pink bands, but later, a group of girls made it in to the inner circle, and pushed their way up and they definitely weren't wearing the wristbands. Which is fine -- I know from past experience that not everyone of those first 2000 fans wants to be in the inner circle, but all of these things together lead me to conclude that Commonwealth security (not U2's team) had NO idea what they were doing.

Regardless, great show. From my perspective, Adam seemed mellow but having a good time. Several times, he seemed to be laughing at something. Maybe somebody had a particularly amusing sign, heh. I wish I'd been able to see more of Edge and Larry than I did, but at the end of the day, I really don't have any complaints. The last time U2 was in Edmonton, I was in the nosebleeds!

Finally, I didn't really expect a lot of setlist variation after reading Willie's Diary, but I do hope that it doesn't remain completely static. I'm only going to one more show (Toronto), but it would still be nice to get at least one different song!

The thing is, they weren't even doing a particularly effective job at confiscation. I (unfortunately) had my balloons in my purse, and they grabbed all of those, but they didn't check my pockets at all. Had I kept my balloons in there, they'd never have found them.

Prior to the gates, they wristbanded the first 2K fans for the pit with bright pink bands, but later, a group of girls made it in to the inner circle, and pushed their way up and they definitely weren't wearing the wristbands. Which is fine -- I know from past experience that not everyone of those first 2000 fans wants to be in the inner circle, but all of these things together lead me to conclude that Commonwealth security (not U2's team) had NO idea what they were doing!

I don't believe those wristbands were for anything other than to make sure fans had access to the floor and thos in actual seats couldn't sneak down. That's what we were told. I had no desire to get in the pit as I've been before and the rail on the outside in my opinion is better. Had they told me that the wristband was for the pit I would have declined the wristband. I've had GA 4 times for the 360 tour and there's never been anything like a wristband that guarantees people inside the inner circle. If they were actually doing it for the pit that's hilarious.

Either way you're right the goofs out side the buidling doing security had no clue. Seriously who confiscates balloons? The security on the floor loved them, the fans loved them and Bono even picked one up and said "My ball". Even one of crew grabbed one and drew a smiley face on it and gave it to me. Yeah good job taking people's balloons Commonwealth security in green shirts haha.

But yes regardless it was an awesome show.

U2 In Edmonton June 1 - storify.com

Really neat timeline of the event, culminated from a wide variety of Facebook, twitter, and newspaper posts/pictures.

They arrived just before 5??!! We got there at about 530 and must have just missed soundcheck :( I knew i should have forced the people with me to come earlier. Next time i'm going by myself and to heck with the rest of them.

Well what can i say? I'm pretty sure it's been said that it was more than amazing. I cried my eyes out during Stay, Walk on and Streets. Adam laughed at me:| but i guess thats ok.

My pics are crap but i was so blessed to be so close!!! Amazing... amazing

248448_1871604963152_1631970016_1837078_8334557_n.jpg

249271_1871605083155_1631970016_1837079_3614285_n.jpg

248547_1871604043129_1631970016_1837076_6172836_n.jpg

Love_U2_Adam, I love your pics!! I'm an Adam fan myself and was crying right along with during Stay!! That is so awesome that Adam laughed at you!!!! :D:D:D:D What a privelage! :applaud:

I tried to upload my pics in the gallery. They didn't show up yet but maybe it takes time...

They arrived just before 5??!! We got there at about 530 and must have just missed soundcheck :( I knew i should have forced the people with me to come earlier. Next time i'm going by myself and to heck with the rest of them.
We were still outside when they did soundcheck and they did it at about 2:30. Zooropa and COBL. They might have done another one closer to 5:00. I'm thinking Magnificent for some reason. Anyways you didn't miss much.

Oh phew!!! For some reason i read that they arrived just before 5.

They very well could have. There were no vocals during the soundcheck so.... well except for the one later in the day but nobody seemed convinced it was Bono. It honestly was a very forgettable soundcheck froma fan's perspective. you can rest easy lol.

It wasn't like hearing Mercy being soundchecked when I was Istanbul. I almost freaked. I was so shocked to hear that as they had never performed the song up to that point. Still didn't play it that night but still to hear that durring soundcheck was pretty cool.

Yeah it was a very crazy night to have the man you've looked up to you're whole teen/ adult life a foot away.... :sad: makes me tear up thinking about it.

Awww that is so awesome. I am slightly disapointed however that he wasn't wearing sparkly cargo pants and shirts like he usually does! I think they are totally hot!

When I attended U2's show in Edmonton, I continued my tradition of not taking any pictures at concerts. Why start now? Let me paint a picture of my position in the stadium instead. I was on Edge's side, with a good view of every part of the spacecrab. The only problem: Edge was almost perpetually obscured by one of its legs. Oh well. In front of me was a guy who, with every one of his dozen beers, seemed to huddle over his phone more. Beside me was a gargantuan guy who turned to me before the show and asked, "Where's this band from again?" To my right was my mom and beside her, a man who played on his cellphone for half the show and then left. The sun beat down, but the heat was offset by a considerable breeze. Although the show was scheduled for seven, The Fray came on at quarter to eight. They ran through a series of songs, some of which I knew from working at a grocery store. The sun, which was setting opposite our side of the stadium, began to disappear and U2 finally hit the stage at quarter after nine. I can only assume that U2 didn't know how long it takes for dark to fall in Alberta, or that starting two hours past the ticket's time is a normal practice.

I hadn't been to a rock show in a few years. I forgot how loud they were. To be frank, if I hadn't known what the first song was, and known it very well ('Even Better Than'), I might not have been able to place it as a song. What distortion! Everyone stood for U2's entrance and stayed standing for a good while. I myself was so excited that my legs got all wobbly, and I felt like a moron. Needless to say, I couldn't believe that after waiting almost two years, I was finally seeing U2. I am writing this review more for a sense of closure than anything, I think.

'I Will Follow' I was not expecting (I hadn't been reading setlists for a while), and it was a pleasant surprise that definitely sustained the energy. The show really picked up, however, when Bono started making weird bird noises and 'Mysterious Ways' kicked in. The image of the woman flashing on the video-screen with each of Edge's opening guitar licks was cool. I sang along the whole time and bobbed more than usual. Bono jokingly threatened to not sing during 'Elevation'... so the timid Canadian audience, myself included, gave it their all on the 'WOO-OO's and the 'EL-A-VA-SHUN's. I would not let Bono down. 'Until the End' had me grinning - that riff soared through the stadium. Bono brought things back down to earth by telling a nifty & personal story about being picked up by a hockey player while hitchhiking in Vancouver. The quieter part of the set began with another surprise, 'All I Want is You', followed by yet another - 'Stay'. I sang along with both, and the latter shined in acoustic form. Singing maybe wasn't a good idea, should've just listened? All I know is I hardly got lost in the music. I was conscious of the spectacle the whole time, but it was just too tempting to not sing along with Bono.

Everyone went crazy for 'Beautiful Day'. Didn't exactly tally with the overcast sky... The song began with Bono pulling a girl up on stage, who read the words to 'Heart of Gold' off a sheet, not without some difficulty. Cute enough intro. The song proper is one of my all-time favourite U2 tunes, and its dynamics translated perfectly to a stadium setting. I loved the rainbow lighting. Everyone also loved 'Pride', but the whole sing-a-long at the end wasn't really juiced. Darn, was looking forward to that. :D 'Miss Sarajevo' was the stadium's collective bathroom song, but I was riveted. (I'm convinced that the show's more intimate moments were more enjoyable for me.) Just a beautiful song - especially the chorus - and the ending was perfect: Bono hit the big note in a very bright & clean tone, the video-screen shifted downwards (almost like it was melting), and then we were bombarded with questions like 'what do you want?' The answer to that one... ZOOROPA! :happy: Was this my night or what? With this song and the inevitable inclusion of 'Streets', they'd managed to play what are probably my top five U2 tunes. Bravo. To hell with it, I told myself, I'll stand for this song even if no-one else does. I tried to scream at the end, but my voice was shot. Round about 'City of Blinding Lights' it began to rain lightly, but it didn't last long. Added to the atmosphere, though. The colour choices for 'Vertigo' were great, all those silvers and bronzes. The song itself was wonderfully heavy-sounding. Bono brought out an umbrella, even though the rain didn't really warrant it. Very rock and roll. The 'Crazy Tonight' remix was next, and boy did it get the crowd going. Sounded way different in person than when it's recorded. Best visuals of the night were here, too, with my favourite bit being the light pulsing up the spiderstation's rod.

Oh and the 'Discotheque' snippetry :combust:

'Sunday Bloody Sunday' hardly got me riled up like it should have. Just wasn't feelin' it, dog. But I gladly yelled the title whenever appropriate. There was one guy who was quiet all show, but suddenly decided to get his groove on during SBS. Weird. I enjoyed the brief 'Scarlet' immensely and decided to say a prayer after it. Another great visual was the Amnesty International lights being brought out at the end of 'Walk On'. I have to say, I have quite deep personal connections with both 'Walk On' and 'One', and it was strange hearing them in such a specific context. Singing 'One', Bono sang none of the second verse apart from its last line ('If you don't care for it'), letting the audience handle the lines previous. Following this, I lol'd at the line 'Did I disappoint you?'

The sound quality hurt 'Streets' IMO. Edge's opening notes didn't wash over me so much as they attacked me. But I bounced the whole way through, and I'm no bouncer. The two talking aliens in a pod then showed up on the video-screen, but the subtitles were obscured by the claw's leg. :| 'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me' rocked the hell out, with insane visuals and Edge's best riff of the night. The LED jacket's light didn't exactly carry like I thought it would, but no big deal. Bono went on to mess up the second line of 'With or Without You', but the band seemed to be enjoying themselves and played it out long enough for the audience to do a second round of that big OHHHHH OHHH-OHHH-OHHH thing. The last song, 'Moment of Surrender', was dedicated to the victims of a fire that tore through the town of Slave Lake, which was a thoughtful gesture on Bono's part. Where I live, our media has been saturated with coverage of the disaster, and I've met many people who had to evacuate. So this meant something to me. All the cellphones & lighters in the darkness made a touching and stunning image, vision over visibility indeed. Edge's slide solo here was his best all night, too - very expressive and mournful. After going home, it seemed that this song had bored itself into my head and it was lovely to fall asleep to.

I was so self-conscious the whole show, it was over before I knew it. So much anticipation & so much foreknowledge of the show's contents - not a good mix. I'm not sure it ever dawned on me that I was finally seeing U2 live. LOL. Not to be a downer. My mom's favourite was 'Mysterious Ways', so that was cool. It was definitely exciting and the band was great, so really what more can I ask? :up:

Scorpionac, thats too bad the show wasn't as great as you hoped it would be. I would agree with you the sound was quite often distorted and hard to hear well at times. I also found Even Better extremely jumbled. It sucks you didnt have some diehards near you because that can totally change the mood of a show when people are there just to be on their phones the whole night :( I can agree with so many of your observations, regarding the intimate moments being really spectacular, and the songs like Pride not quite having the oomph i expected them to have.
Great review though! And i hope you can see them again in the future! :) But i would definilty encourage anyone to not look at setlists or visuals beforehand and go in totaly unknowing of the set. It makes for a much better surprise!

Does anyone know how long it takes your photos to appear in the gallery. They arne't showing up but last time i uploaded i got doubles of everything :( Also i tried to tag myself in that fan cam and didn't get the email yet. Nothings working!

Fancam. Nifty feature. Pretty certain I'm covered up by a claw leg though. -_-

But i would definilty encourage anyone to not look at setlists or visuals beforehand and go in totaly unknowing of the set. It makes for a much better surprise!
What a will that would take! Especially when the tour starts two years before you see it.

Haven't got the gallery to work yet, sonichka? You could always post your pics in this thread instead.

I might have to!! They are from far away but i'll get them up soon! And when i saw them in 2009 for the first leg i looked at very little and didn't know the setlist or what the screen could do. It make for a very incredible experience!

i finally got a few pics in the galleray but my connection keeps dying. stay tuned for more.

Back
Top Bottom