July 8, 2011 - Hippodrome - Montreal, QC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good show last night! I was a bit hesitant about the Achtung Baby intro before going in but what a freaking phenomenal opening salvo!! Crowd was great! They were on their feet in the stands all night from what i could see (i was in GA back behind one of the speaker stacks.)

All in I thought it was great. Not the best U2 show I have seen (last night was lifetime show 21 for me) but very strong. I really think we will get something magical tonight! And if not tonight hopefully on Monday in toronto!

Looking forward to a special night tonight!

I don't think it's possible for these guys to have a bad show. They were having the time of their lives up there this time around. Why? Montreal fans are seriously loud and crazier. I totally felt the band was drawing from that. Bono often takes out his ear monitors to judge the crowd singing. To me, he seemed genuinely impressed. People were going nuts. Bono was spot on again. I can't get enough. I got a shout out which made me beam. But every newbie and U2 vet around me were saying how insanely good they were. It was bonkers.

I don't think it's possible for these guys to have a bad show. They were having the time of their lives up there this time around. Why? Montreal fans are seriously loud and crazier. I totally felt the band was drawing from that. Bono often takes out his ear monitors to judge the crowd singing. To me, he seemed genuinely impressed. People were going nuts. Bono was spot on again. I can't get enough. I got a shout out which made me beam. But every newbie and U2 vet around me were saying how insanely good they were. It was bonkers.

Most of the people around me (front rail of soundboard left) were Montrealers and newbies. They were so nice: we were offered everything from an apple to a joint. :lol:
They loved that we were there from out of town. "Really? Why did you chose Montreal?" "Do you like it here?" "Is my English okay?" etc., etc.
Great people. Great fans.

Security seriously now has told all of us that we cannot leave the line but for bathroom. I never bring anything to these shows that I cannot throw away, and planned not to get back to the hotel today. Thank goodness.

This may be a good thing as they are very serious about queue jumpers and bullshit, so hopefully no stampede like yesterday.

The torrential and apocalyptic rain was BANANAS! I've never seen so many people RUN for cover. It was like a bomb had been dropped and folks were running to get away from the radiation. Or as if a volcano had erupted and people had to evacuate. Whoa. It took me about a half an hour to get into the station. Then when I got to my car, I had to recharge my phone to use the GPS to get back to Laval.

NO GA FOR ME TODAY. YES MY WIFE IS COMING TO THE SHOW with her friends. So please, make sure y'all behave...and tell her nothing but good stories about me. :cute:

Yesterday's bum rush from the back that squished the line made it horrible. Standing 2.5 hours squished they way we were before going in was just crazy. Whoa. I couldn't believe that it all went down that way. Perhaps the worst GA experience of my life. (actually 2nd worse as NJ for Vertigo tour was terrible).

I got a spot facing Bono's mic, back rail, inside the pit. Which was a new location for me. Peeps around me were fantastic. I spent the day with woman from Brazil who lives in MTL, a mom and daughter from Austria (they were so generous and kind), Gvox (my right hand man), and sweet ladies from Montreal who knew how to party. Our little troupe seemed to watch each other's back the entire time.

Big props to seeing AMP, Drew, Romi, Edge Fest, and all the other interferencers.

Lots of "ooo la la" in French when I got into the MirrorBall get up. All in good fun.

Fuck...it was loud though. I wore my earplugs like I do every show and seriously, the screaming was madness and crowd noise was madness.

*fingers crossed* for Red Zone today.

I dunno. They might be up there with the worst opening acts. Add Dashboard Confessional and Institute with that.

Yay, and I've seen all of them! :lol: Or will see, in the case of Interpol. U2, why do you hate me? :(

:wink:

Security seriously now has told all of us that we cannot leave the line but for bathroom. I never bring anything to these shows that I cannot throw away, and planned not to get back to the hotel today. Thank goodness.

This may be a good thing as they are very serious about queue jumpers and bullshit, so hopefully no stampede like yesterday.

Good to hear! Too bad it took a dangerous situation like yesterday to make that happen.

Definitely the worst GA experience ever! I couldn't believe when we ran forward at like 2:30 and then got squished in. I was probably 1000th in line at 11:30, then when everyone ran, I was further back than when I started :( I decided to leave, go the Fan Jam and get some food and drink cause it was hot as hell. I walked back at 4:30 and the line was going in. I ended up on the rail at the base of the claw on Adam's side with a clear view to the stage, so I was happy about that. Interpol were awful, up there with PJ Harvey and Dashboard for the worst openers IMO. The crowd was amazing, the whole Hipprodome was going insane for the boys! Those stands must have been built with some big concrete foundations, cause everyone was jumping around, no empty space anywhere. I left my spot at the beginning of HMTMKMKM, cause I needed to go to the bathroom. I finally got there during the end of MOS, and as soon as I came out, torrential downpour! I couldn't believe it! After baking in the sun all day, I was soaked in 2 minutes. I was glad the hotel was so close, so I didn't have to wait in the rain for the metro.

We spent the day sightseeing in Old Montreal. It's such a beautiful city and I'm so glad we decided to not line up. Got to the hippodrome around 4:15 or so. Wandered around the fan-jam for awhile. Finally "strolled" onto the field around 6. Couldn't believe how crowded the soundboard area was so we just kept walking forward. On a whim I decided to check the pit to see if they were still letting people in and security told us there were 23 more spots. We walked in and found space 4 people back from the stage on Adam's side. People were sitting down and it really didn't seem crowded at all. The show was pretty incredible! I didn't even mind the standard set list because I hadn't seen them since Foxboro so it was pretty much new for me! My brother in law had a moment when one of the bridges stopped right over us and he and Bono almost touched fingers :drool: (he did get a little Bono sweat on him!). The worst part of the night was the monsoon that happened right at the end. We had packed a few rain ponchos just in case, so that helped a little. One of the fan jam vendor tents let us hang out for awhile with them (I have to remember to go buy their headphones!) Security finally told us all we had to leave. We joined the other soaked people in the line for the metro and got back to our downtown hotel around 1:30 or so.

The worst part of the night was the monsoon that happened right at the end. We had packed a few rain ponchos just in case, so that helped a little. One of the fan jam vendor tents let us hang out for awhile with them (I have to remember to go buy their headphones!) Security finally told us all we had to leave. We joined the other soaked people in the line for the metro and got back to our downtown hotel around 1:30 or so.

My boots still are wet and Heather will probably just throw out here shoes from Friday night. Sideways rain defeats good rain gear every time. :angry:

We got back to the DT Embassy Suites about 2 am. Ridiculous that they had no real queue plan for the Metro station. Dumb.

The concert was amazing for me. This was my 2nd time in GA. We got to the stadium at around 5pm, and saw that the lineup to get in was really long, so we waited around at the Wendy's and met up with some other friends. Eventually got in after 6pm, and decided to go see what the pit situation was like, and we got in! We were on Adam's side, and we had a spot on the rail right where the guys come in, so we could see their entrance.

We then moved closer in, and moved around a lot on Adam's side. We had front rail for a little bit, but then moved back so we could see more. I made eye contact with Bono a few times (during BD and SBS) which was pretty freaking incredible for me. An AWESOME experience for my 2nd time in GA.

Sure, the rain at the end was pure insanity, but we eventually made it back to our hotel with no problems. It was ALL worth it!! :love:

Worst GA experience ever, lineup situation with 4 hour checkins and other crap is ridiculous (can these people guarantee that no one will line jump or keep the line in the exact order, no they cannot, it is crap and engineered to benefit the first 50 or so people who get there and ensure the rest of the people who follow and spend 8 hours in line don't get too uppity when someone shows up at 3pm in the afternoon after taking a nap in their hotel since 7am)

The evenko people sucked and it was disorganized chaos. The line compressed almost 2 hours before we were allowed in except for the special few in the front who were still layed out on their mats and not squished up. Again, we just go along with it and should be happy that we are allowed to get a number to begin with. :doh:

And starting a line list for a show on the next day. :crack: C'mon, how ridiculous is that. What if you are in the first show, and people who aren't attending the first show show up and start a line while the first show is still happening. Does the list still apply? I think not. :angry: The best line system was know your neighbour, :hug: stay in line ALL the time with bathroom breaks and a occasional food run and maybe a quick shower. :heart: This reserving number system is insane and stupid. As I mentioned before, the people organizing this list cannot guarantee the line stays in the original sequence nor prevent people from line jumping which happened near the front of the first Montreal GA line. So the list is just a way for people at the front to rotate spending time in line while getting rest at their hotels while those that follow have to stay in line lest we get bumped down the list by the powers that be. Nice how that works out for those at the top but not those at the bottom. :down:

I had great spots for both shows (rail and pit) but this whole camping out thing and line list is just ruining what used to be a FUN time before the show. Now it's just annoying and stressful for people. So unless you want a chance at a guaranteed rail spot, just show up in the morning and it's all good. :D

RANT OVER!

Show was awesome, crowd was fantastic and LOUD, 99% of the people were friendly and awesome (I met some cool Croatian people who were just great fun on the outside rail on Adam's side, one of them gave Bono a rosary early in the show and they convinced the beer guy to service the rail people) TAILGATE PARTY was shite.

The storm at the end made me feel what it must be like to be in a disaster area. :sad: No one can help you, you are cold, tired and unhappy and looking for shelter but there is none to be found so you just walk and walk hoping to find a place to hide. It felt really weird walking by places where people were huddled together under tents, building ledges or even shopping cart storage areas like in the Walmart parking lot. I hope to never again endure cold rain and strong winds while trekking over garbage and strewn debris through a rain soaked field of mud and sand. (we bought dollar store panchos for the 2nd show, just in case :wink:)

Showed up at the Hippodrome a little after 2:15 pm. The sun was pounding and it was hot so my hubby and I found a shady tree to sit under. We noted the surge in the GA crowd about 2:30 pm and then again a while later. Kudos to those of you who were able to withstand that situation as well as the heat...I wouldn't have been able to do it. Ended up in the front of the center soundboard when the GA gates opened...wished I knew who a few of you were so I would have stood with you during the concert since my hubby opted to get out of his spot right before Interpol started and stood near the consignment stands for most of the concert:angry:...if I knew he was going to do that, I would have attempted to go into the pit!!! :doh: (He later told me he would never do GA again and if U2 toured again, I would have to do it solo!!!) Enough of my ranting...

I have to agree that Interpol sucked!!! No wonder why the local rock station never plays their music.

As for U2, AWESOME CONCERT!!!! The band played great, and you could tell the band was genuinely pleased with the response from the crowd. I know for some of you it was a little boring, but for me I had not heard this concert set in person. Totally different from the Foxboro set I heard a year and a half ago. To experience the passion and love for U2 with the Montreal crowd is beyond words. They are totally psyched about this band. It was fun to observe and listen to those around me. They were friendly, fun, and again awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if a few still have a U2 hangover today...

As for the rain storm at the end, got totally soaked. (My sneakers finally dried today, and I think my camera is going to survive after all!!!) However, people were surprisingly taking it in stride, chanting and making jokes about how it felt we were all being corralled to the Metro stations. Got back to the hotel prior to 2 am.

It is sad to think that it is all over now...it has been great hanging out with you guys in the Montreal threads for the past year and half. I am saddened I was not able to meet you all at the pub on Thursday due to circumstances; however, I did meet U2Mama briefly Friday morning:wave:. Hopefully, I will get to meet some of you in the future as I am very certain I will be going to U2 concerts solo from now on...

Knew we weren't going to be lining up for this show. Had a long travel day the day before and needed our sleep. Showed up between 6:00. Never even thought about trying to get into the pit at that point. Stood a little to the right of the soundboard on Adams side. I was ok with this since I hadn't seen the show in all of it's full lights and glory. I did miss the energy that you get from standing in the pit. The people were a little lame around us. I didn't care. I sang and danced and ignored the looks I got. I enjoyed the show very much. So, much that even with the rain I kept that U2 high. But, yes the rainstorm was no fun. We stood on the sideboard for awhile. I still needed to get a tshirt. Then hid in the fan jam. Which was amusing. People literally taking umbrellas, signs, tables to use as mobile shelters. Made friends who offered us whiskey to stay warm. The metro was chaos. Not moving. No signs. Ended up walking to the other stop and hopping a bus. Got back around 2 am. But, we knew what we needed to do the next day

One reason why I thought Montreal 1 was friggin GREAT was because it's my first show of this part of the tour and just how far away I've stayed from set list watching/parties and also from watching anything on youtube. I've snuck a peek or two here or there, but that's it. I thought the show was very energetic, fresh, and not boring a setlist at all.

There's a lesson there somewhere, I'm sure. :wink:

My son, pictured here with Amp who belted out Get on your Boots with Bono on night 2, trying to remove the sign on Amp's right. A lady cop caught him and said, "One warning, then 'click' 'click'" meaning handcuffs. Funny moment. The sign is in the picture taken with my wife Angie.

Great shows both nights. First inner circle experience and it is now an addiction! Better setlist night 2 with 4-5 different songs, including our wedding dance song "All I Want Is You".

124_4651.jpg

124_4652.jpg

Back
Top Bottom