July 8, 2011 - Hippodrome - Montreal, QC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
? I thought Gap sold those.

Anyway, I'll post my review of July 8 in a bit. Was totally shocked at how awfully lame the fans in my section were. July 9 was much better.

Yeah, I swore they've had that Hamme(RED) one all along. I think I remember saying how inappropriate I thought it was when I first saw it. :lol:

as advertised, my review of the first show!

I left Connecticut at around 1 - my hotel was booked for Laval. A pair of friends bailed out on me the week of, but I went anyway by myself. Got to the border around 5:30 or so, through into Canada at 6:30 - but another traffic jam stopped me from getting to my hotel until 7:45. Since there's no parking at the Hippodrome, I had to use the metro, and I've never been to Montreal before so it was sort of an adventure.

Luckily though, I got to the concert at 8:55 on time, someway, somehow. Had been an exhausting day, but obviously I was excited to see U2. I was sitting in Section 111, Row 4. During Until the End of the World, one of the fans behind me tapped me on the back and started talking to me in French, and I don't speak French so I asked him kindly to repeat himself in English if he could. He told me the people behind me can't see, so I need to sit down. I told him I paid good money for my ticket, had raced against the clock to make it on time and that I'm going to stand - unless somebody has some sort of medical condition behind me that forces them to sit. For the record, I'm 6 feet tall, so I'm not a giant.

I turned back around and then during the intro to Get On Your Boots, he asks me to sit again. I told him to stop bugging me because I don't want to sit, and everybody else can stand - it's a concert, not an opera. Then during the "let me in the sound" bit, his friend reaches over (and his friend is sitting about 4 seats over, so he's definitely not even close to being obstructed by me) and starts grabbing my shoulder and shaking me, basically trying to push me down. So I grab his wrist and tell him not to touch me again. I turn back around and he does it again, yelling SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT. Naturally, I'm getting pissed off when somebody is trying to grab me and tell me what to do, so I tell him not to fucking touch me again, otherwise there's going to be more problems than just me standing.

So then he tries to do it again, and manages to grab my arm and whack my elbow into this girl who is sitting next to me's head, so I apologized to her of course but she knew it wasn't my fault. So then there's people yelling at him in French to leave me alone (ha), and then a dainty little security guard comes up and tells me to sit - how ridiculous. I told her I'll sit for a song or two, maybe three, but if I want to stand, I'm going to stand.

The original guy who touched me and asked me to sit then went off and bought me a beer, like that's going to make me dislike him any less, but whatever, I'm not going to turn down a free beer.

Needless to say, that marred the concert a bit for me. I've seen U2 38 times now, and I've only been asked to sit at the first (Albany 2001) and this one. I went down and told the security chica that I wasn't trying to be an asshole or anything, and that it's perfectly in my right to stand and she said she understands, but just didn't know how to handle the situation.

Still, it was a good show. Got to see Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill me for the first time and loved that. The strings they added into the live versions on 360 make me like it a bit more than the Popmart versions, but then again I never saw Popmart so I'm not sure it's fair of me to compare them.

Good show, shit fans in section 111 - at least the people behind me! So if you were one of those two guys in row 5 behind me, kiss off. :wave:

Jesus popacrobat, you must've had the luck of getting the only row that wanted to sit...every time I looked up I saw nothing but a sea of standing swaying dancing bodies and arms. Good thing you didn't do Toronto though, it's even worse here.

Next time come party in the GA. :D

Jesus popacrobat, you must've had the luck of getting the only row that wanted to sit...every time I looked up I saw nothing but a sea of standing swaying dancing bodies and arms. Good thing you didn't do Toronto though, it's even worse here.

Next time come party in the GA. :D

ha - I was in GA the next night, much better experience/show. Will post my review of that tomorrow!

Night one was great. A few friends and I who had originally signed up and got a number decided that the check in every 4 hours wasn't worth it and figured we'd just show up at 3 and see what happened. We ended up getting on the rail near the Claw leg on Adam's side.:hyper: A few nasty fans bothered us in the beginning, but I fought back and they ended up moving. The crowd was amazing, and see pictures of how large the crowd actually was is incredible. The rain at the end was nice for the first minute or 2, then turned really nasty. It took me 40 minutes to get back to the hotel, but I had to laugh because looking back, it was almost unbelievable. It was the typical setlist, but being with a friend who was at her first show and watching how excited she was made it very special! Night 2 though....beyond words!:drool:

MTL 1 pictures!

283821_10150698795555447_512545446_19610579_911895_n.jpg

264186_10150698795720447_512545446_19610585_661547_n.jpg

268326_10150698796965447_512545446_19610618_1190928_n.jpg

267946_10150698797400447_512545446_19610632_4328398_n.jpg

283176_10150698797730447_512545446_19610639_6089531_n.jpg

284021_10150698797950447_512545446_19610643_4610317_n.jpg

263931_10150698798090447_512545446_19610646_8250529_n.jpg

283031_10150698798215447_512545446_19610648_3830029_n.jpg

270616_10150698798695447_512545446_19610657_2858320_n.jpg

267761_10150698798800447_512545446_19610658_2644507_n.jpg

268371_10150698799630447_512545446_19610681_8154004_n.jpg

281861_10150698800375447_512545446_19610699_1316397_n.jpg

Does anyone have pics or video from Until the End of the World when Bono was stopped on the bridge (Adam's side)? My bro in law had a "Bono moment" when their hands came thisclose to touching...my pic didn't come out. Thanks!

question - songs sung in tent after show

Montreal night 1 was amazing! I've seen six shows on this tour so far (only one more to go!), and this was by far my favorite night, energy and set list!

I am posting, however, with a question. After the show, when the skies opened up and we all got drenched, my husband and I actually found a spot in one of the tents. While we were waiting out the rain, the crowd was singing some songs in French. They seemed like bar songs or traditional songs of some sort. We are dying to know what they were! If anyone knows, please reply!! Thanks :wave:

^^Kim!!! :wave: I still have to email you the pics from nite 1 (it's me...Michelle!) It was really nice meeting you!

You guys must've ended up in the tent right next to us...we heard the singing, but didn't come over because we had nice comfy, dry couches to sit on while we waited.

^^Kim!!! :wave: I still have to email you the pics from nite 1 (it's me...Michelle!) It was really nice meeting you!

You guys must've ended up in the tent right next to us...we heard the singing, but didn't come over because we had nice comfy, dry couches to sit on while we waited.

Hey Michelle - I thought it was you! If you still don't mind I would love those pics when you get a chance. Another fan was kind enough to share also, but your pics will be from my viewpoint (=awesome).

How did you do for night 2? We ended up side stage, Edge's side, about 8 people back from the red zone. Awesome show. I really loved night 1 though - maybe it was my spot, but that was my favorite show so far this tour.

P.S. My husband said he had a Bono moment that night - he says he made eye contact with Bono during Until the End of the World. I'd believe it!

Yesterday's bum rush from the back that squished the line made it horrible. Standing 2.5 hours squished they way we were before going in was just crazy. Whoa. I couldn't believe that it all went down that way. Perhaps the worst GA experience of my life. (actually 2nd worse as NJ for Vertigo tour was terrible).

Was the NJ show at the Meadowlands/Izod/Brendan Byrne? (It's had many name changes) What happened with yours?

I'm from NJ, and I hate how they run U2 shows there. At Elevation tour there I got in line at noon. We were around #150 or so. When they opened the gates many hours later, they opened our self-numbered gate up last. They actually opened multiple gates around us first, and all of these people who showed up at 5pm walked into the heart. Everyone by me ended up outside the heart - which was awesome anyway, but so annoyed. If you know a venue's not going to honor an excellent system set up by a bunch of peaceful fans just sitting in line all day, it's like there's no point in putting in the time.

Luckily, I've been to multiple show on the past few tours. I truly feel for those who only get one shot.

Montreal night 1 was amazing! I've seen six shows on this tour so far (only one more to go!), and this was by far my favorite night, energy and set list!

I am posting, however, with a question. After the show, when the skies opened up and we all got drenched, my husband and I actually found a spot in one of the tents. While we were waiting out the rain, the crowd was singing some songs in French. They seemed like bar songs or traditional songs of some sort. We are dying to know what they were! If anyone knows, please reply!! Thanks :wave:

Hey. Damn i was in the same tent!!! :wave:I was the one who figured out how to pull the door shut on the left side of the tent! Was wondering about the song as well. Was it a Hockey song???

Somehitng like …je vie ah bien en….something!!!!!

:applaud: That's what I heard! I would have joined in if I knew the words!!!

^ By the way, I like your location post. I might head there once Montreal's CHOM FM stops playing songs from the concert (I'm not sure if they took the songs from the U2.com July 9th stream or not...the songs are quite muted when they air them on the radio).

That's not quite french, it's jsut Ole, Ole ole ole, we are the champions.. etc. It's a regular football song.

That wasn't the song being sung in the tent. The crowd were singing ole ole leaving the stadium!!! It's bugging the hell out of me to find the song. I wish I asked one of em what it was now! I've checked the magical internet. No luck yet.

Back
Top Bottom